HDMI to RF that converts to 4:3? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-01-2020, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI to RF that converts to 4:3?

Hi out there...I know this is an oddball request...but I'm looking for an HDMI to RF adapter that preserves the 4:3 image properly....does this exist?

Essentially I have some 4:3 content and the system is pushing out HDMI, but I'm trying to get it to an older TV set via it's RF input (yep, the 'ol Channel 3)...which works fine for most cheapie hdmi to RF adapters...but it squishes the 4:3 image and you have black boxes and both sides of the TV image. Essentially it's like watching vertical letterbox

Any info is appreciated...I wasn't sure if this was something that was out there, or if there was hdmi processor out there that I might be able to run it through, to reformat the image (stretch the image)

Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-02-2020, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 115
buy a modern TV with HDMI and run the cable. Way too much gyrations and equipment expense to save $250 in a new TV.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-02-2020, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
buy a modern TV with HDMI and run the cable. Way too much gyrations and equipment expense to save $250 in a new TV.
Yeah i'm not doing this for kicks, believe me...I wish it was that simple... it's for a retro art installation utilizing 4:3 primary video sources and vintage 4:3 televisions. No way around the RF part...

Pete

Last edited by PeteMI; 05-02-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-08-2020, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Try setting the source device to "stretch" 4:3 content to 16:9 - I had luck making that work with the converters as they take the full width of the image to conversion, so it's stretch-compress cycle that may end "normal".

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page