Looking for Options to Replace Bose Built-INvisible System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-09-2020, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for Options to Replace Bose Built-INvisible System

Hello,

We purchased a home in the fall with an old Bose BUILT-INvisible 102EA II Multi-Room Setup. The setup consists of 7 zones, 14 speakers, 7 volume controls knobs. The amps are in the basement with source wiring running into the family room upstairs where the Bose HeadUnit is. Also in the Family room are two Sonos Controllers (one Sonos ZP-90 [connect], one ZP-120 [connect amp]. The Connect is sending a digital optical signal to the Bose Head Unit which then distributes signal to amps in the basement and music throughout the home [Fixed Line Out Volume] The Connect Amp is driving 1 additional Zone (not connected to the Bose). Volume is controlled in each zone and each zone has to have the same source (Sonos or CD Player)etc. That's all well and good...except the system sounds like crap... I have to replace several speakers and don't want to replace with Bose.

What are solid options for replacing the Bose Head Unit and Amps?

Considerations:

1) I'm ok with moving the Pre-Amp to the basement from the Family Room
2) I have a seperate 5.1 HT Setup in the Family Room for my main system and don't wish to change.
3) I don't want to go full Sonos. Ideally, I would look for some lightly used Multi-Zone Products on Ebay from Crestron / Niles etc for ~$500-$750 total and either reuse the volume knobs in the walls or replace with volume controls that would work with whatever Pre-Amp / Amp Controler setup.
4) I'd like to spend most of my budget on upgrading in-ceiling speakers to Martin Logan Motion or something of similar quality... Max Budget for Everything is $3-4K... I plan on doing the install and really don't want to rewire anything if I can help it. My main blindspot is regarding Multi-Room Technology, remote volume controls etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6503.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	892.8 KB
ID:	2723574   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	2723576   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg