NuVo M3 - file transfer issues - Any gurus out there?? Rookie Problems - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By xs10shl

post #1 of 3 Old 05-11-2020, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
NuVo M3 - file transfer issues - Any gurus out there?? Rookie Problems

Morning Folks,

I've had a NuVo install in my house for about 12 years or so. A couple of years back, we had a lightening strike on the house, no big deal but my NuVo system stopped working properly.

Well, with young kids and other things going in, it kind of got put on the back burner.

I have a Grand Concerto Amp / Multi Zone set up for 6 rooms, M3 and T2 sources. The T2 has a power supply fault but I'll get to that another time.

The M3 was alive but wouldn't boot up. I suspected the hard drive had got trashed somehow. I bought an old unit of eBay, swapped the hard drives out and it worked first time. Bingo, now just to load my library onto its 'new' hard drive.

I still had the old Windows 7 laptop with all the windows media player files sat on it. Plugged it in and went to create a new synch to the system.

This is where it's gone wrong. The M3 connects Ok to the laptop and Media Player sees it and will synch. However, the files it transfers are corrupting somehow. They are all 2:08 long (weird) and the M3 shows empty when disconnected from the laptop, even if the hard drive is showing that there are files on it.

I am guessing there is some sort of corruption, either with an address file or the MTP driver itself not being completely compatible but I'm open to any help as it's not my area of expertise.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-13-2020, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Not much is known here about the M3. From what I can gather, it resembles an old Diamond Rio portable MP3 player on steroids. It has a hard drive for storage but the firmware is probably in flash memory somewhere. The syncing is done through a USB connection on a windows PC as you noted. A couple questions... When the M3 is plugged into USB on the PC does it show up as a regular hard drive? If so can you see the files stored on it or copy MP3 files directly on to it? If viewing the hard drive are there any other files besides the music present? I am looking for something the might key the hard drive to the particular M3. Also are any of your music files DRM protected? The documentation for the M3 mentions that the device supported the Microsoft PlaysForSure DRM scheme. As we now know, that was a lie and after the back end servers for it were shutdown, the files became PlaysNoMore.

from Wikipedia: DRM servers related to PlaysForSure were turned off August 31, 2008, meaning that any operating system upgrade or migration rendered all content unplayable.[8]

My semi-dedicated theater: The EXASCALE CINEMA
post #3 of 3 Old 05-16-2020, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If you want to stick with GC, consider replacing your M3 and T2 purchasing a used MPS4 instead. This is a NuVo system that Alien Warlock and others like myself can help you setup and modernize your music environment to give you all the features you are asking about relative to your existing music library, and also add streaming services, Airplay, and more. Further it's a Grand Concerto device that several of us have extensive experience in maintaining and upgrading, unlike the M3, which I'd venture to say most of us know little about. You can follow along our discussions on the MPS4 in the Nuvo Integration, Preservation, and Modernization thread in this sub-forum before you elect to take the step.

There's an MPS4 on eBay right now for $300 that will allow you to stream your music library right off your PC, and another one for under $100. MPS4s worth buying come up about once or twice a month, so you can take your time to make a decision. I've seen them in the $125-$150 range lately, depending on condition.

It means eating the cost of your replacement M3 and T2, which both become a redundant piece of equipment. The MPS4 can stream local and hundreds of global radio stations in addition to music through the free Tune-in service.
AlienWarlock likes this.

Last edited by xs10shl; 05-16-2020 at 01:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page