Just bought my first place! Now what!? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cavalier240

post #1 of 10 Old 05-11-2020, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just bought my first place! Now what!?

As the title states, I just purchased my first house and am going to get home audio setup as my "housewarming" gift! I don't know the first thing about audio and am about as audio illiterate as it gets. Where do I start? What am I looking for? The seller left behind a smart TV with a Bose receiver and some speakers that go with it.

My goal:

I want to be able to use my iPhone 11 max pro to use Bluetooth to turn music on or off in any of the 3 floors of the house independently. If I want to workout on floor 1, get my smartphone out and turn pandora or whatever I want on. If I'm having a dinner party on floor 2 and want to have some smooth jazz on, pull out the ol' trusty iPhone and get the party started. If I'm having company on the third floor and she gives me the "look", you know what I'm saying!

Can anyone help point me in the right direction on what speakers would work well? Do I need a new receiver to do this? What do I need? Haven't thought much about budget so I'm flexible there.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-11-2020, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Time to look into SONOS. Control over ip (WIFI) not bluetooth due to the range.

Do you already have speaker wires run to all of the floors? Do they all run to one location in the house?

Not sure if you were just thinking in wall or ceiling speakers, or just portable speakers sitting on a shelf or cabinet...?

Last edited by FlyOnTheWall; 05-11-2020 at 09:50 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-11-2020, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
Time to look into SONOS. Control over ip (WIFI) not bluetooth due to the range.

Do you already have speaker wires run to all of the floors? Do they all run to one location in the house?

Not sure if you were just thinking in wall or ceiling speakers, or just portable speakers sitting on a shelf or cabinet...?
I'm looking at their website now and see they have a lot of different options. Is that the best on the market? I think I'm going to have a professional come in and run the wires and set everything up. Is there an advantage other than aesthetics to having them sitting on a shelf or cabinet or hung from the ceiling?

Thanks for your response! I'm sorry I'm new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-11-2020, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandfsoccr04 View Post
I'm looking at their website now and see they have a lot of different options. Is that the best on the market? I think I'm going to have a professional come in and run the wires and set everything up. Is there an advantage other than aesthetics to having them sitting on a shelf or cabinet or hung from the ceiling?

Thanks for your response! I'm sorry I'm new.

So this is a brand new house, and you didnt run any wires for speakers/internet during the prewire stage?

A pro will come out and give ya a bid, but its gonna be pretty steep, especially with 3 floors of sound. Any pictures of the house?

As opposed to In ceiling vs bookshelf, really depends on the the wiring, and which sonos units you buy. Also depends on total budget.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-11-2020, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I figured I'm going to be putting out a couple thousand for this project. It is definitely at the top of my list though as far as any "improvements" go. Let me get you some photos.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-11-2020, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

I also saw that the only place that deals with SONOS around me is Best buy. I'm not sure how much they have in the way of audio professionals but that may be my only option.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-11-2020, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

https://www.zillow.com/homes/720-Seq...65788571_zpid/

This is the "new" to me place. What would YOU do if you were me?
post #8 of 10 Old 05-11-2020, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandfsoccr04 View Post
https://www.zillow.com/homes/720-Seq...65788571_zpid/

This is the "new" to me place. What would YOU do if you were me?

Anything is doable. That being said, its always tough in old construction (especially 3 story and no attic) to get wires to everywhere you want to go. Its not impossible, but there will be drywall repair needed for sure.

For the main room, i take it u are going to put the TV over the fireplace. Looks like that may be the only spot for it. You could get someone to rip down the ceiling *(just some small holes) to install 5 in ceiling speakers and hook them all to a receiver in that room.

Another popular option for that room, would be a wireless SONOS set up. Playbar under the TV, the Sub on the ground, and 2 Play 1 speakers on stands, as your rears. These speakers do not need speaker wire, but they do need to be plugged into power at each location.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-13-2020, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You need to come up with a budget and wish list before you go any further. Also list out your priorities:
- Do you want music in the background that just has to sound "good enough", or are you an audiophile?
- Do you only want to play music from your phone? What about other sources?
- Do you want to tie the speakers on each floor with TVs? Do you want to be able to sync TV audio and video throughout the house?
- Do you want surround sound setups in any rooms, or is stereo or mono sound OK?
- Do you want equipment hidden or out in the open on shelves/countertops?

As mentioned above, wireless solutions such as SONOS and HEOS are good if you don't want to run cables in walls, and if your primary concern is background music from your phone. They are not the best though for engulfing sound, or for syncing up multiple speakers with TV sound due to wireless delay.

If you want to go all out with in-ceiling and in-wall speakers, wired to a central location, with audio and video distribution throughout the house, then get ready to open your checkbook. Especially if you hire out the work.
FlyOnTheWall likes this.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-14-2020, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 115
There is a major difference of streaming from your phone, vs controlling what you want to watch / listen to from your phone.

Streaming from the phone is a bad user experience.
Controlling from the phone is a good experience (if implemented well).

The phone should be a user interface to a control system. The control system then tells the "players" on the network what to stream and play.

That way the people in the house aren't hostage to having YOUR phone being in the house. If you have a party and need to take a phone call - then the music stops?

Best is to hard wire (no bluetooth or wifi) the players to the Internet for reliability. If your home is built without wiring, then that's when you consider wifi speakers (like Sonos or Heos).

Sonos does a bad job integrating with 3rd party systems. Heos does a good job. But sonos does integrate to a point. Something to consider for future proofing your system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page