Replacing NUVO system - Looking for Alexa support - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-18-2020, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Replacing NUVO system - Looking for Alexa support

Hi all,
I am Nuvo distributed audio system that I installed years ago, using primarily a couple of Sonos as sources.
It works well enough, but I am hoping to make a more seamless system that includes all the Alexa devices I have scattered around the house.
I am looking at the HTD DMA-1240ADS Amplifier, which seems to have good Alexa support.
I would buy the HTD custom baluns and in-wall mount Echo Dots or Echo Show 5 to control the audio in each room. I believe their baluns have enough power to control the Amazon Show 5 but certainly they can control the Echo dots.
I would also have Sonos as sources for the amplifier.
The nice thing about this system is that I could use my ceiling speakers for music and for Alexa, which would be an improvement over my existing system.
Does anyone have experience with HTD or this amplifier? Is it a reasonable choice?
Any other options that I should consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-18-2020, 08:57 AM
EAS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
That's interesting. Pretty inexpensive if it works and sounds good.

So its just ducking the audio for the Alexa responses? You still have to run the Alexa audio back to the amp using their kit, right? Would be interesting if it ducked the audio when you said the wake word so your Alexa statements were not impacted by the listening level audio.

What's the ultimate goal for the whole house audio? Lots of options these days for audio matrix.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-18-2020, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post
That's interesting. Pretty inexpensive if it works and sounds good.

So its just ducking the audio for the Alexa responses? You still have to run the Alexa audio back to the amp using their kit, right? Would be interesting if it ducked the audio when you said the wake word so your Alexa statements were not impacted by the listening level audio.

What's the ultimate goal for the whole house audio? Lots of options these days for audio matrix.
So, basically to use my Nuvo system, I need to turn on the Nuvo wall controller, then select the Sonos station with my phone. While they isn't hard, 99% of the time the family (myself included) just tells the Alexa in the room to plan the channel, or the news, etc. and it plays through the not very good Echo speakers. So, I figured we are mostly going to use Alexa anyway, being able to use the ceiling speakers would be a huge improvement. My goal is most of the music will actually be selected via the Echo (generally either Amazon music or Sirius XM), which will trigger the amp on. For example, I can be in the kitchen and tell Alexa to play Sirius XM, and the amp will trigger on and the in ceiling speakers will start playing. It will be a bit harder to have multiple rooms play the same source, so my solution there is that source #1 for the main level will be a Sonos, for when we are entertaining. In that case, the Sonos will be playing the music through multiple sets of speakers, but I can still give Alexa a command and it will respond through the speakers and pause the music. In theory, it should work for my purposes for both single room use (using Echos as source) or as multi-room use (Sonos as source). I guess I probably need to check if the Voice Assistant input will work with occasional periods of silence (like for commercial breaks) and not switch off. I know some other amps have struggled with that.

Yes, I do need to run each of the Alexa echos back to the amp (which will be in the basement) using their kit. But that should be easy. My Nuvo wall controllers are powered by 2 cat 5 cables, so I only need 1 of the cat5 to use their balun kit. The only issue is the in wall mounts for the echo dots are round, and I think they will look odd. I wish HTD made a more square controller looking in wall bracket. But I couldn't find one. So, I researched it and I think the HTD kit will also power an Echo Show 5, which is small and rectangular and will look more like a conventional wall controller. I think that will look much better in wall mounted. HTD wasn't sure if their balun kit will work with that, so hopefully my research is right if I decide to purchase.

Last edited by tds1; 05-18-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-18-2020, 07:25 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds1 View Post
So, basically to use my Nuvo system, I need to turn on the Nuvo wall controller, then select the Sonos station with my phone. While they isn't hard, 99% of the time the family (myself included) just tells the Alexa in the room to plan the channel, or the news, etc. and it plays through the not very good Echo speakers. So, I figured we are mostly going to use Alexa anyway, being able to use the ceiling speakers would be a huge improvement. My goal is most of the music will actually be selected via the Echo (generally either Amazon music or Sirius XM), which will trigger the amp on. For example, I can be in the kitchen and tell Alexa to play Sirius XM, and the amp will trigger on and the in ceiling speakers will start playing. It will be a bit harder to have multiple rooms play the same source, so my solution there is that source #1 for the main level will be a Sonos, for when we are entertaining. In that case, the Sonos will be playing the music through multiple sets of speakers, but I can still give Alexa a command and it will respond through the speakers and pause the music. In theory, it should work for my purposes for both single room use (using Echos as source) or as multi-room use (Sonos as source). I guess I probably need to check if the Voice Assistant input will work with occasional periods of silence (like for commercial breaks) and not switch off. I know some other amps have struggled with that.

Yes, I do need to run each of the Alexa echos back to the amp (which will be in the basement) using their kit. But that should be easy. My Nuvo wall controllers are powered by 2 cat 5 cables, so I only need 1 of the cat5 to use their balun kit. The only issue is the in wall mounts for the echo dots are round, and I think they will look odd. I wish HTD made a more square controller looking in wall bracket. But I couldn't find one. So, I researched it and I think the HTD kit will also power an Echo Show 5, which is small and rectangular and will look more like a conventional wall controller. I think that will look much better in wall mounted. HTD wasn't sure if their balun kit will work with that, so hopefully my research is right if I decide to purchase.

That makes sense. Something like Control4 could allow you more fine control over audio from Alexa commands. That's going to cost a lot more. I'm not sure what your price point is looking like.

You can put a dot next to the amp and use it for the whole house line in on that amp. You then ask Alexa to play whatever ON whatever you name the dot.

I think their adapter for the device is clever, but its clearly designed for ceiling mount.

If your in room speakers run to the Nuvo room controllers you might consider these:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_178VAI...-Vail-Amp.html

You can then try whole home audio using the Alex capability to sync across multiple dots.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-18-2020, 07:52 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Genie-S.../dp/B07ZP6LRQF

Found that clever Echo Show wall mount.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-19-2020, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tds1 View Post
Hi all,
I have a Nuvo distributed audio system that I installed years ago, using primarily a couple of Sonos as sources.
Any other options that I should consider?
Which NuVo system do you have?
If it's the Grand Concerto or Essentia, I think that some people in the other active Nuvo thread may have some good solutions for Alexa and/or Sonos.
Post a question. It's an interesting topic!

Last edited by Bobone; 05-19-2020 at 01:34 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-19-2020, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
Which NuVo system do you have?
If it's the Grand Concerto or Essentia, I think that some people in the other active Nuvo thread may have some good solutions for Alexa and/or Sonos.
Post a question. It's an interesting topic!
I have the Nuvo Concerto, but will check out the thread. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Genie-S.../dp/B07ZP6LRQF

Found that clever Echo Show wall mount.
Yep, that is the one I was planning on trying!
post #8 of 8 Old 05-19-2020, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The Nuvo Player Portfolio series has Alexa support. Your existing wall controllers will not function with it; you would need to replace them with a P10 or P20 keypad which uses a single CAT5 POE, and you can group up to four wall controllers per zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page