post #7171 of 7287 Old 02-14-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
WHAT?!?! That's not chocolate and vanilla. Surround sound is just objectively better and more immersive. She needs to get used to it, appreciate it, and enjoy it.
My first thought is that you're joking. And my second thought is the same. A statement like "She needs to get used to it, appreciate it, and enjoy it." has to be a joke, right?

If you're not, then I must humbly disagree about all movie surround sound being objectively better, or more immersive. We probably watch 200 movies a year and think a little surround sound goes a long way, and too much of it gets in the way. Usually the audio mistakes are that effects are way too loud. But even if a sound is just slightly off - a little too loud, or not exactly placed, you notice it and doing so destroys the feeling of immersion in a movie.

But I am not going to tell anyone that they need to agree with us. It is great that you enjoy your A/V receiver.
audiodane likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7172 of 7287 Old 02-14-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
My first thought is that you're joking. And my second thought is the same. A statement like "She needs to get used to it, appreciate it, and enjoy it." has to be a joke, right?

If you're not, then I must humbly disagree about all movie surround sound being objectively better, or more immersive. We probably watch 200 movies a year and think a little surround sound goes a long way, and too much of it gets in the way. Usually the audio mistakes are that effects are way too loud. But even if a sound is just slightly off - a little too loud, or not exactly placed, you notice it and doing so destroys the feeling of immersion in a movie.

But I am not going to tell anyone that they need to agree with us. It is great that you enjoy your A/V receiver.
Nope. I am not joking one bit. When I set stuff up for myself, my roommates, family, etc, I make sure to wire it through the AVR so that the TV's speakers don't work, and you can't get a signal on anything without the AVR on. You can re-balance the surround sound if your room isn't perfectly shaped for surround sound (which most aren't, since let's face it, many TVs are in family or living rooms that were built 10 years or 50 years or 100 years ago). And my original point was more about the quality of sound, not the surround aspect of it. When watching TV, a lot of dialog audio comes through the center channel, or uses just stereo audio, but either way, even a $300 HTIB system provides MUCH clearer and fuller audio than crappy TV speakers, and when the audio comes out of the center channel, the dialog is much easier to understand. And if the surround is overpowering, then something isn't balanced properly for the room. It should be easy to fix in even very modest AVRs. Further, if someone else in the house is sleeping or otherwise needs it quiet, an AVR is the better bet, as you can turn the sound down really low and still understand what is going on, whereas you have to have the volume higher on the crappy TV speakers, since they don't do a good job reproducing the audio.
post #7173 of 7287 Old 02-14-2016, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No doubt about it, a sound bar absolutely sounds a lot better than most built TV in speakers - but the point I was trying to make is that you don't require an A/V receiver to get better sound. Many soundbars have their own amps and sound quite good. For the record, we do have a rather nice full surround system. It was also rather expensive, so I question the value of such a purchase when my Samsung SUHD TV delivers 70% of the same audio experience.

What made me think you might be joking was your statement that one could tell my bride of 45 years that "She needs to get used to it, appreciate it, and enjoy it." I'd warn anyone against such a rash move.
Surfdrifter and audiodane like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7174 of 7287 Old 02-15-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would argue that no TV could ever deliver 70% of the experience of an AVR with such tiny speakers. It's just physics. Yes, soundbars can put out decent sound quality, and they certainly are a lot better than the TV's built-in speakers, but I still would argue that people should at least shell out $400 for a modest 5.1 Onkyo HTIB if they're spending $500+ on a TV. It never ceases to amaze me when people drop a grand or two or three on a nice TV and are using crappy TV speakers, or even a $150 soundbar.

I just set stuff up the right way, to prevent user misuse.
post #7175 of 7287 Old 02-15-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would argue that no TV could ever deliver 70% of the experience of an AVR with such tiny speakers. It's just physics. Yes, soundbars can put out decent sound quality, and they certainly are a lot better than the TV's built-in speakers, but I still would argue that people should at least shell out $400 for a modest 5.1 Onkyo HTIB if they're spending $500+ on a TV. It never ceases to amaze me when people drop a grand or two or three on a nice TV and are using crappy TV speakers, or even a $150 soundbar.

I just set stuff up the right way, to prevent user misuse.
post #7176 of 7287 Old 02-22-2016, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
WHAT?!?! That's not chocolate and vanilla. Surround sound is just objectively better and more immersive. She needs to get used to it, appreciate it, and enjoy it.
Quote:
What made me think you might be joking was your statement that one could tell my bride of 45 years that "She needs to get used to it, appreciate it, and enjoy it." I'd warn anyone against such a rash move.
@Hyrax -- +1 ... the moment someone tells their spouse what they should or should not appreciate and enjoy, it quickly becomes a downward sloping conversation. Congrats on the 45yr mark! (We just hit 15 recently.)

@BiggAW , I will respect your belief that your emphatic stance is the only acceptable solution to what most would call a matter of taste. Likewise, I would encourage you to respect that not everyone agrees with your (clearly) authoritative stance. At least we can rest with the happy thought that God made us with the choice of free will -- even that of choosing to sin by not forcing our spouse or family to use an AVR, despite its obvious superiority. We should just drop the issue rather than disintegrate this topic further into unrelated arguing.

cheers,
..dane
post #7177 of 7287 Old 02-22-2016, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
... Congrats on the 45yr mark! (We just hit 15 recently.) ...
Thanks! It has been grand. And well done on 15 years.

I actually have an on topic question!
I plugged my DVDO into a 4K Samsung LCD TV and every thing looks quite good. However, I was playing a PS4 game and noticed that some text was right at the edge of the screen. I then plugged the PS4 directly into the TV and the text moved in over a quarter of an inch. Plugged the PS4 back to the DVDO and found I needed to apply 4.4% underscan to be able to see the entire picture. I then checked a Roku and a Blu-Ray player with the Edge, and they too needed the underscan when connected via the Edge.

I didn't see this issue with my projector. So I am assuming that something in the handshake between the Edge and the TV is telling the Edge that it needs to apply overscan. It is either that or something else that I cannot find. I looked at all the zoom settings and they are all 0. I could find nothing else specifically in my settings that would cause the overscan. I am sending a RGB signal to an input on the TV that is called HDMI/DVI.

This overscan isn't a real problem, since I was able to fix it by using underscan, but I'd like to know what is going on. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance.
post #7178 of 7287 Old 02-23-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there any benefit to using the EDGE with a 4k TV? I'm wondering if the silicon has advanced so much internal to the TV that it's redundant to the EDGE. Also, does it mess things up to scale twice (i.e. 720p to 1080p to 2160p or 1080i to 1080p to 2160p)?
post #7179 of 7287 Old 02-24-2016, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 343
It is useless or harmful for HD.
post #7180 of 7287 Old 02-24-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
It is useless or harmful for HD.
Yeah, that's about what I figured.
post #7181 of 7287 Old 02-24-2016, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is there any benefit to using the EDGE with a 4k TV? I'm wondering if the silicon has advanced so much internal to the TV that it's redundant to the EDGE. Also, does it mess things up to scale twice (i.e. 720p to 1080p to 2160p or 1080i to 1080p to 2160p)?

The Samsung TV only has 4 inputs, and I have 6 devices I wish to attach to it. So I am mainly using the Edge as a switch for my 3 gaming systems, Tivo, and Roku 3. The Edge is also quite useful for rerouting my audio from my devices directly to my soundbar. Good splitters/switches with two outputs are not cheap, so the Edge is useful in this way without costing me any more money.

The Edge is harmless when scaling 720p and 1080i, and some of the Edge video features make it not completely useless. It does a good job scaling SD material from my Xbox and the 240p video from my Sega Genesis. If you have still have a s-video devices like a VCR, the Edge will allow you to use it. Strangely, some HDTV stations still have that odd dot crawl on the top of their broadcast image, and 1% zoom on the Edge gets rid of it. Every once in a while the aspect ratio of a streamed program is wrong, and the Edge's non-linear zoom can restore the proper ratio. This is all minor stuff, but added up they still make a difference. I'd not buy a Edge just to get these features, but I'm still glad I have it.
post #7182 of 7287 Old 02-25-2016, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4918 Post(s)
Liked: 3635
^Those are all valid reasons also the Edge has a unique auto switching feature with user priority assignments, as I mentioned earlier. Not very common and in some scenarios it can be useful. Also the unit has a fairly comprehensive test pattern generator in it which can be useful for calibration.

People who buy anamorphic lenses for their projectors can also use the Edge to squish non-anamorphically enhanced material so they don't have to buy a $2500 robotic assembly which extracts their lens when not needed, and return it precisely when it is.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-25-2016 at 12:09 AM.
post #7183 of 7287 Old 02-25-2016, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The question was HD. I would not pay one penny to touch the HD and 4K signal with anything let alone a processor.
post #7184 of 7287 Old 02-25-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Yes, there are benefits to using the EDGE. It offers many features besides just scaling. If you have no use for any of these extra features and plan on using it for just for scaling it could still possibly have benefits for taking you from the common, broadcast TV HD resolutions of 720p and 1080i to 1080p, before you then scale yet again to 4K if the scaling circuit in your TV is lower quality, and the scalers in 4K TVs do indeed vary, in fact the quality of the scaler is one of the largest differences in 4K TVs but the video retail industry does their best to hide this from the public.

The EDGE also offers manual override functions such as the ability to deinterlace film content material differently than it does video content material, both at the same incoming resolution, whereas usually dumbed down designs often lock you to "auto mode", i.e. they don't even provide it as an option for you to select. Additionally do most 4K TVs also allow one to manually control PReP? Y/C delay? CUE control? I suspect very few, although most of these are of the greatest benefit for older sources.

The EDGE is top notch when it comes to scaling but it has a very limited range of resolutions and 4K isn't one of them. Scaling multiple times is generally not a good idea, indeed the best image is usually watching a 4K source, shot with a 4K camera, on a 4K TV directly in its native mode, with 1:1 pixel mapping and using no scaling at all, but of course the material that offers this is limited. A lot of 4K content we watch is actually just upscaled, rather than being native 4K from the original camera all the way to our TVs.

You will find people who will claim to "know for sure" that any video processing in the EDGE must be inferior to "any" 4K TV, but without third party, objective evidence to support this, I for one usually ignore such claims. Video processing quality varies on a case by case basis.

"Just because a TV is 4K doesn't mean it has a good scaler built-in." - CNET
http://www.cnet.com/news/can-4k-tvs-...p-look-better/

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-25-2016 at 11:56 AM.
post #7185 of 7287 Old 02-25-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Scaling/de-interlacing became commodity chips a long time ago. Again I would pay nothing to alter a HD signal over the many options already available in the typical HD display. There is a reason the original maker of this device gave up the business years ago.
post #7186 of 7287 Old 02-25-2016, 01:25 PM

The maker of the EDGE, DVDO is still in business and still sells scalers, however there is no longer an introductory product exactly like the EDGE which integrates an affordable, but high quality scaler/deinterlacer/video processor with an HDMI 6 input video auto switcher as one product. To get this same capability today you would need to buy two products such as the:
compact DVDO 4KSVP iScan Mini 4K Scaler Video Enhancement System, with Display Setup, Audio Stripping and EDID Editing

plus a

normal component width [well, 12.5 inch wide] DVDO Quick6(R) 6x2 Roku Ready 4K Ultra HD Switcher, including Intsapreview and Instaport, which has premade HDMI handshakes to the various devices for faster, more seamless switching between inputs and provides advanced PIP functionality http://hometheater.about.com/od/audi...tch-Review.htm

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-25-2016 at 01:37 PM.
post #7187 of 7287 Old 02-26-2016, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Edge is harmless when scaling 720p and 1080i, and some of the Edge video features make it not completely useless. It does a good job scaling SD material from my Xbox and the 240p video from my Sega Genesis. If you have still have a s-video devices like a VCR, the Edge will allow you to use it. Strangely, some HDTV stations still have that odd dot crawl on the top of their broadcast image, and 1% zoom on the Edge gets rid of it. Every once in a while the aspect ratio of a streamed program is wrong, and the Edge's non-linear zoom can restore the proper ratio. This is all minor stuff, but added up they still make a difference. I'd not buy a Edge just to get these features, but I'm still glad I have it.
I'm just wondering if doing 2 conversions instead of 1 would actually degrade the quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Yes, there are benefits to using the EDGE. It offers many features besides just scaling. If you have no use for any of these extra features and plan on using it for just for scaling it could still possibly have benefits for taking you from the common, broadcast TV HD resolutions of 720p and 1080i to 1080p, before you then scale yet again to 4K if the scaling circuit in your TV is lower quality, and the scalers in 4K TVs do indeed vary, in fact the quality of the scaler is one of the largest differences in 4K TVs but the video retail industry does their best to hide this from the public.
The EDGE also offers manual override functions such as the ability to deinterlace film content material differently than it does video content material, both at the same incoming resolution, whereas usually dumbed down designs often lock you to "auto mode", i.e. they don't even provide it as an option for you to select. Additionally do most 4K TVs also allow one to manually control PReP? Y/C delay? CUE control? I suspect very few, although most of these are of the greatest benefit for older sources.

The EDGE is top notch when it comes to scaling but it has a very limited range of resolutions and 4K isn't one of them. Scaling multiple times is generally not a good idea, indeed the best image is usually watching a 4K source, shot with a 4K camera, on a 4K TV directly in its native mode, with 1:1 pixel mapping and using no scaling at all, but of course the material that offers this is limited. A lot of 4K content we watch is actually just upscaled, rather than being native 4K from the original camera all the way to our TVs.

You will find people who will claim to "know for sure" that any video processing in the EDGE must be inferior to "any" 4K TV, but without third party, objective evidence to support this, I for one usually ignore such claims. Video processing quality varies on a case by case basis.

"Just because a TV is 4K doesn't mean it has a good scaler built-in." - CNET
http://www.cnet.com/news/can-4k-tvs-...p-look-better/[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the thing, I'm wondering if the EDGE would actually do worse than the circuitry in something like a Samsung JS9500, especially since the silicon in the JS9500 is far newer and more powerful than what's in the DVDO EDGE, and using the DVDO EDGE thus requires two conversions. I would think that 720p would take a pretty bad hit, because you're scaling to a ratio of 1.5 and then doubling that instead of scaling 3x in the first place. 1080i would probably work ok, since the DVDO EDGE does a really good job deinterlacing anyway. Because of the way 720p scale, I would expect 720p to look *better* on a 4k TV than on a 1080p TV.
post #7188 of 7287 Old 02-28-2016, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm just wondering if doing 2 conversions instead of 1 would actually degrade the quality?
1080i would probably work ok, since the DVDO EDGE does a really good job deinterlacing anyway. Because of the way 720p scale, I would expect 720p to look *better* on a 4k TV than on a 1080p TV.
Honestly, it doesn't look any different to my eyes if I use the Edge or not. Test equipment might say differently, but I don't see anything different. There are a lot of reasons that an Edge is still quite useful in a home theater, but I would not buy one these days just for its scaling ability.
post #7189 of 7287 Old 02-29-2016, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Honestly, it doesn't look any different to my eyes if I use the Edge or not. Test equipment might say differently, but I don't see anything different. There are a lot of reasons that an Edge is still quite useful in a home theater, but I would not buy one these days just for its scaling ability.
Yeah, I'm just thinking ahead to when I get a 4k TV, and I need to devide whether to run stuff through it or not. I guess I could use it for the 480p Wii, and the 480i stuff, and nothing else. I can never have enough boxes under my TV .
post #7190 of 7287 Old 03-18-2016, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I ordered a JS8500 Sammy. The question now is can the DVDO EDGE be set up to output native, and allow it to do some processing on the video, but not the scaling? I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to change manually for sports games, although that's not exactly ideal...
post #7191 of 7287 Old 04-03-2016, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am considering purchasing the Audioengine A5+ speakers for my TV. I plan on using these through the DVDO EDGE, but I have a question how this works. I assume I will attach an optical cable from my TV to the optical in on the DVDO EDGE and then an optical cable from the DVDO EDGE out to the speakers, correct?

My main concern is being able to play movies via Netflix/Amazon Instant using the apps on the TV and still use these speakers. The DVDO EDGE isn't used of course when I use the smart apps on my TV so I was wondering if this would work.

Thanks guys!
post #7192 of 7287 Old 04-03-2016, 02:22 PM

Unless I am mistaken you have the following: sources (possible examples being cable/sat box, disc player, game consoles, etc.), the DVDO EDGE as your master source selector switcher, TV to see the image, and amplified speakers such as Audioengine for the sound. There is no AV receiver and you value having remote control volume changing capability.

I'd do this: Source devices all lead to the EDGE, HDMI out to the TV, audio out on the TV to the amplified speakers. Note, some TVs, especially older ones, refuse to provide audio out for incoming HDMI sources in which case this won't work and you'll have to tap the audio for the amplified speakers from the EDGE directly, but there will be no volume control, as far as I know. The volume up/down button's on The EDGE remote are for controlling other devices only, I believe.

P.S. The EDGE does not alter incoming sound so there is no reason to pass through it anyways, unless switching along with the source's analog video signal is needed.

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-03-2016 at 06:10 PM.
post #7193 of 7287 Old 04-03-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Unless I am mistaken you have the following: sources (possible examples being cable/sat box, disc player, game consoles, etc.), the DVDO EDGE as your master source selector switcher, TV to see the image, and amplified speakers such Audioengine for the sound. There is no AV receiver and you value having remote control volume changing capability.

I'd do this: Source devices all lead to the EDGE, HDMI out to the TV, audio out on the TV to the amplified speakers. Note, some TVs, especially older ones, refuse to provide audio out for incoming HDMI sources in which case this won't work and you'll have to tap the audio for the amplified speakers from the EDGE directly, but there will be no volume control, as far as I know. The volume up/down button's on The EDGE remote are for controlling other devices only, I believe.

P.S. The EDGE does not alter incoming sound so there is no reason to pass through it anyways, unless switching along with the source's analog video signal is needed.
Thanks so much for the response!

I do have multiple sources. I wasn't sure if the DVDO EDGE would allow me use the optical out on my TV if it wasn't connected to the DVDO EDGE.

So these speakers will work just fine with the DVDO EDGE? Great news!
post #7194 of 7287 Old 04-03-2016, 06:09 PM

They'll work with anything that can provide an analog RCA stereo output, but scenarios where you have to walk over to the speakers to change the volume, because you have no remote control capability for volume, doesn't sound like a scenario I could personally live with. YMMV.

post #7195 of 7287 Old 04-04-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
They'll work with anything that can provide an analog RCA stereo output, but scenarios where you have to walk over to the speakers to change the volume, because you have no remote control capability for volume, doesn't sound like a scenario I could personally live with. YMMV.
No, walking to the speakers to change the volume would be horrible. I couldn't live with that either. I plan on using a DAC so I can use the optical out on my TV rather than the RCA out. I would be able to control volume through the TV that way, right? The A5+ speakers do come with a remote too so I am covered either way, but I would prefer to use my regular TV remote.
post #7196 of 7287 Old 04-04-2016, 07:24 AM

So I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly.

I can use my DVDO EDGE for all my sources. I want all my sources to use the Audioengine A5+ Speakers. I do NOT have to connect the AudioEngine A5+ to the DVDO EDGE at all?

How do I configure the DVDO EDGE to use the A5+ speakers for all of the sources connected to it when the DVDO EDGE is not connected to the Audioengine A5+ speakers in the first place?

You mentioned that all I need to do is connect all my sources to the DVDO EDGE and then connect the optical out on my TV to the optical in (VIA DAC) on the A5+ speakers. What settings do I need to configure for each source to make sure the sources use the A5+ speakers and not my TV's internal speakers? Will the A5+ speakers automatically be used since the TV senses the optical out is being used? If so, I wouldn't even need to make any changes in terms of configuration right? I would choose HDMI for Audio on the DVDO EDGE and then the TV would automatically send the signal to the A5+?

Thanks so much for your help on this! Sorry for any confusion. Just trying to understand this the best I can before I pick up a set.
post #7197 of 7287 Old 04-04-2016, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Frankie-
"What settings do I need to configure for each source to make sure the source's ..."
You have two options:

Option 1: On the DVDO go to the Audio settings and set the HDMI audio out to be the same as the HDMI Video out (instead of having the audio be sent via the 2nd HDMI output). That will make it so that the audio and video both use the same cable. After that, it is up to your TV to make sure the audio goes to external speakers. My TV (a Samsung JS8500) does that via a speaker option. Actually, it allows me to send it to both its own speakers and to external speakers (via optical out), or just to external speakers. I send audio to both my amp and my TV, but turn the TV volume down to 0 most of the time. That way I can turn on the TV and use its sound to catch the weather report and not need to turn on the amp.

Option 2: On the DVDO go to the Audio settings and set the audio out to use the Optical output cable. That will make it so that the audio and video use different cables. At this point you have completely bypassed the TV's audio circuitry. Doing so may introduce lip-sync issues (it doesn't on my TV), but you should be able to correct this by adding some delay in the DVDO audio settings.

I don't know anything about your specific speakers, but I assume they have a remote control for changing the volume. Option 1 may allow you to use the TV's remote to control volume directly, or (hopefully) you can program your TV's remote to control the speakers' volume. Otherwise you'll need to use your speakers' remote.

Tim
post #7198 of 7287 Old 04-04-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Frankie-
"What settings do I need to configure for each source to make sure the source's ..."
You have two options:

Option 1: On the DVDO go to the Audio settings and set the HDMI audio out to be the same as the HDMI Video out (instead of having the audio be sent via the 2nd HDMI output). That will make it so that the audio and video both use the same cable. After that, it is up to your TV to make sure the audio goes to external speakers. My TV (a Samsung JS8500) does that via a speaker option. Actually, it allows me to send it to both its own speakers and to external speakers (via optical out), or just to external speakers. I send audio to both my amp and my TV, but turn the TV volume down to 0 most of the time. That way I can turn on the TV and use its sound to catch the weather report and not need to turn on the amp.

Option 2: On the DVDO go to the Audio settings and set the audio out to use the Optical output cable. That will make it so that the audio and video use different cables. At this point you have completely bypassed the TV's audio circuitry. Doing so may introduce lip-sync issues (it doesn't on my TV), but you should be able to correct this by adding some delay in the DVDO audio settings.

I don't know anything about your specific speakers, but I assume they have a remote control for changing the volume. Option 1 may allow you to use the TV's remote to control volume directly, or (hopefully) you can program your TV's remote to control the speakers' volume. Otherwise you'll need to use your speakers' remote.

Tim
Thanks so much Hyrax! Option 1 was what I was planning to do, but I just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly. I will pull the trigger on the A5+ speakers. I hope I like them!
post #7199 of 7287 Old 04-04-2016, 12:43 PM

The use of outboard DACs is quite common in many audiophile circles and also is a complete waste of money, due to there being no improvement in sound in most instances. From an audio engineering perspective we concurred all the problems with DACs decades ago.

There can be specific scenarios where connecting from one device to another via an optical connection can kill ground loop noise, but the improvement one might hear isn't because "the external DAC sounds better than the internal DAC". You also can't assume everyone has audible ground loop noise so one should plan on using an outboard DAC automatically. The numerous forums and reviewers which claim otherwise, and insist DACs have audible differences, never conduct their DAC tests under controlled conditions where the two devices are carefully calibrated, using external measurement gear, to provide matching volume levels within .1 dB or closer, for device A and B, nor are their tests conducted using blind testing protocols to preclude expectation bias. They expect that expensive, outboard DACs should sound better so when they hook them up and listen, guess what happens? They indeed report improved sound, yet mysteriously this improvement disappears under double blind conditions, with matched volume levels, using the exact same gear! [DACs may all claim to have the same output level, say 2V, but tests show that isn't always true and ones that play ever so slightly louder, say by half a dB or even less, are often mistakenly thought to sound better yet the only true difference was level! Add a tiny cheap amp to boost the weak one's output, or attenuate the louder one, and suddenly the two are indistinguishable from each other under double blind conditions.]

There also can be some computers, media servers, and other devices where the designers crammed things in so tightly that the audio out amps pick up extraneous RF/EMI noise they ideally shouldn't, hence passing the digital signal along to a different convertor several feet away from the noise source will solve that problem, however one shouldn't assume their device necessarily has such a problem without trying it out first, nor is the improvement by using the external DAC because of the DAC chip itself. Also keep in mind noise can come from many different sources and nothing is completely noise free if you crank the volume up enough.

There also have been poorly designed DACs which either muck up the sound either due to incompetence or purposefully to gimmick the sound so it is distinguishable, but audibly "perfect" DACs can be had for very little money (and often just the existing one built in will do just fine). A common example is the $29 Behringer UCA202, although one should stay away from its headphone out jack and stick to the RCAs only, because the headphone amp inside has an output impedance which might not mesh well with low impedance headphones. http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/...02-review.html

P. S. Generally optical outs are at a fixed volume level and can't be varied, via remote or other wise, although there have been some exceptions.

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-04-2016 at 01:07 PM.
post #7200 of 7287 Old 04-04-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post
Thanks so much Hyrax! Option 1 was what I was planning to do, but I just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly. I will pull the trigger on the A5+ speakers. I hope I like them!
Frankie -
I wasn't quite as clear as I intended in my description of option1. I left out the step telling you that you need to connect the TV's optical audio out to your speakers. Also, as M. Zillch says, it is unlikely that your TV's remote volume will impact your external speaker volume. I had a TV 20 years ago that would do that, but it was one of those behemoth tube TVs that seemingly weighed more than a Prius.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page