Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #7261 of 7289 Old 07-01-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Thanks for the info. Is this the sort of thing (the power supply fix) an idiot like myself can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 7289 Old 07-02-2017, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Indeed it is. Remove 4 casing screws at the rear & slide metal cover back to release. Unplug power supply. One fly lead to power socket, one fly lead to main board. Remove 4 white plastic screws attaching PSU to posts. Remove & replace. Put plastic screws & shield back in place. Replug & you are done. Test & replace lid. Dead simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dvdorearopen875-58073f015f9b5805c23e317f.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	2214169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1238 - Copy.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	2214177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1238 - Copy1.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	2214193  

Last edited by Glyn M RucK; 07-02-2017 at 09:13 AM.
post #7263 of 7289 Old 11-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Selling my DVDO Edge. Works beautifully with no issues at all, I just don't need it in my signal chain anymore.

$250 OBO. Lots of pictures posted and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

-TK

https://imgur.com/LRdMSzP
https://imgur.com/5nSSlv7
https://imgur.com/5nSSlv7
https://imgur.com/yzH4loz
https://imgur.com/SlvYYmx
https://imgur.com/F7iBwzM

Video: JVC RS540 w/Anamorphic Lens & 122" 2.35:1 CIH
Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7 Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One X
7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 EX (L R C), Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE (side & rear)
2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" / Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
4 HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X Theater Pics / Desktop

Last edited by TKNice; 11-05-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7264 of 7289 Old 11-05-2017, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 370
post #7265 of 7289 Old 01-23-2018, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
$25

This was sold a while back for $240 shipped. Thanks all for looking!

7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 EX (L R C), Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE (side & rear)
post #7266 of 7289 Old 01-24-2018, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You found the one born every minute!
post #7267 of 7289 Old 01-24-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
You found the one born every minute!

Your dedication to the cause is adorable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #7268 of 7289 Old 01-26-2018, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Firmware_Downloads_DVDO_.zip file
t
//shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58498[/url] add h.t.t.p. to beginning... i am trying to work around posting link without 5 posts
DVDO Edge Green and Other Legacy Firmware for DVDO Products. I found this on the web and am posting so others who need it can find it. Cheers. S
post #7269 of 7289 Old 01-28-2018, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
Your dedication to the cause is adorable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. That’s what I was thinking. Not sure why He’s posting in an edge thread if it’s so worthless. For what it does, the edge is still a fantastic unit and the guy who bought it was super happy. DVDO is making everything a lot smaller these days and in some cases with less features. If I remember it right, he was looking for lip sync adjustment and scaling/PQ improvement on all sources. I don’t believe the iscan mini has lip sync adjustment.

post #7270 of 7289 Old 02-22-2018, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKNice View Post
Haha. That’s what I was thinking. Not sure why He’s posting in an edge thread if it’s so worthless. For what it does, the edge is still a fantastic unit and the guy who bought it was super happy. DVDO is making everything a lot smaller these days and in some cases with less features. If I remember it right, he was looking for lip sync adjustment and scaling/PQ improvement on all sources. I don’t believe the iscan mini has lip sync adjustment.
The Edge was perfect for my setup and you were awesome to deal with! I will not address the troll directly but it seems funny that someone who probably overpaid thousands of dollars for a Runco projector is slamming someone who bought an Edge for $200 plus shipping.
post #7271 of 7289 Old 02-23-2018, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
A lot of old video processors are still excellent.
If you do not need more than 1080p ...

And EDGE is a GREAT product.
post #7272 of 7289 Old 02-23-2018, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post
The Edge was perfect for my setup and you were awesome to deal with! I will not address the troll directly but it seems funny that someone who probably overpaid thousands of dollars for a Runco projector is slamming someone who bought an Edge for $200 plus shipping.
lol here is a little PJ lesson for newbies - I had a PIA CRT in the 90s. The Runco was set up 10 years ago and I have not been in the menu since. BTW $15k PJ is pocket change for me, Jr.
post #7273 of 7289 Old 05-16-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi-
I still use my original Edge and find it useful with my 'smart' (but slow) 4K TV. The edge does a (much) better job switching sources as well as upscalling DVDs and lower resolution sources than the TV. I was going to mention VHS tapes, but don't want to get laughed at .

Anyway, my Edge emits an almost inaudible, high pitch tone that you can only hear in a perfectly silent room. It has been like that for many years (probably from day 1), but hasn't bothered me much until I recently plugged a computer into it. Now when I browse or use email, it sounds like there's a large mosquito in the room. Is there anything I can do to solve the problem?

BTW, the tone is definitely coming from the Edge and occurs even when nothing (no input or output) is plugged into it.

Thanks
post #7274 of 7289 Old 05-31-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
my Edge emits an almost inaudible, high pitch tone that you can only hear in a perfectly silent room. It has been like that for many years (probably from day 1), but hasn't bothered me much until I recently plugged a computer into it. Now when I browse or use email, it sounds like there's a large mosquito in the room. Is there anything I can do to solve the problem?
If the computer is a laptop, try running it on batteries. Otherwise, try plugging the computer, Edge, TV and all other interconnected equipment into the same AC outlet.

If none of the above works, a ground loop isolator between the computer and the Edge may help. If you have cable TV, a ground loop isolator on the TV cable may help also.

If you fix the problem, please let us know what you did. Good luck.
post #7275 of 7289 Old 05-31-2018, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5545 Post(s)
Liked: 3985
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmcf View Post
If the computer is a laptop, try running it on batteries.
I think Hyrax means a faint mechanical noise one can hear more easily by placing their ear next to the chassis, not an electrical signal through one's speakers such as a ground loop issue.

Mine makes the exact same mosquito-like noise.
post #7276 of 7289 Old 05-31-2018, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the response, @billmf c. The willingness to help others that I see so often in this forum over the years always astounds me.

The sound is not coming from the speakers and is as @m. zillch describes, except I can hear it from 10 feet away. I can hear a lot of things in higher frequencies that many people do not hear. For some reason the only frequencies I have trouble hearing seem to be those used by my wife.

Rereading my description of the problem I can see how you would suspect a ground loop type issue. I described the situation wrong - the main reason I can hear the "big mosquito" is that my computer and my TV are essentially silent when I'm using the setup as a computer workstation. Now that I think of it, my projector's fan also drowns out the whine from the Edge.

I am just wondering if it is the power supply or some other component in the Edge that would produce this whine, and if I should hunt the problem down. I really like the Edge and want to keep it as long as I watch SD & HD sources.

Thanks again.
post #7277 of 7289 Old 05-31-2018, 11:26 PM

I think it is a specific chip or component internally but it would be hard to justify the cost to repair it, IMHO, plus since we know of other units with the same symptom this means the noise could reappear down the road.

One possible work around is to build a hush box. A sealed cabinet with a clear glass/acrylic front (for IR remote light communication). People often use them for projectors but there's no reason you couldn't try it out for the EDGE. Amps and other things that get hot need special considerations for heat dissipation in a sealed hush box but to the best of my knowledge the EDGE doesn't get nearly as hot.

Sometimes little things like placing the noisy component on a lower shelf can work wonders. I once had a loud tower computer and after reading up about all sorts of expensive power supplies and other quiet components I discovered that simply placing the tower under my wooden desk on a wheeled platform sufficiently muffled the sound to make me happy.
post #7278 of 7289 Old 06-01-2018, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pop the cover off, and use a paper towel tube up to your ear and move it around to see if you can narrow down where the noise is coming from. It may be something like a cap going bad. If it's a cheap component, you might be able to fix it via quick order from digikey.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #7279 of 7289 Old 06-01-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Pop the cover off, and use a paper towel tube up to your ear and move it around to see if you can narrow down where the noise is coming from. It may be something like a cap going bad. If it's a cheap component, you might be able to fix it via quick order from digikey.
Good idea and IIRC I did just that, years ago [although I didn't use your clever cardboard tube trick, I merely held my ear up close] and I concluded it was a chip, an IC that was squealing, so not so easy to swap out.
post #7280 of 7289 Old 06-02-2018, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good ideas! Thanks to both of you.

I think I may pop the cover off and try to figure out what component it is. I want to refinish the top anyway - the paint has gotten a little weird and very sticky. But the best idea is to move it to a place I cannot hear it as easily. I doubt a full hush box is needed, but I bet if I put it further away and lower I'd be set.
post #7281 of 7289 Old 12-03-2018, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So the Edge has been a great workhorse for us, but tonight, my wife was watching TV when "the Tivo died" and she smelled a funny smell. A bit of troubleshooting and I think the issue is the DVDO Edge. If I pull the power and power up, I get the Edge to come up, and I can access the menus. But within a few seconds, the screen goes black, and the LED blinks in the following pattern: off -> green -> red (for much longer). Any ideas? At first I was thinking power supply, but if it were the power supply, I'd figure it'd not turn on at all.

post #7282 of 7289 Old 12-03-2018, 06:43 PM

1. Unplug for 24 hrs
2. cross fingers
3. plug back in

My cursory look at the instructions don't seem to mention any other "micro-processor reset"
http://www.newaudio.it/DVDO/EDGE/EDG...uct_Manual.pdf
post #7283 of 7289 Old 12-03-2018, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
1. Unplug for 24 hrs
2. cross fingers
3. plug back in

My cursory look at the instructions don't seem to mention any other "micro-processor reset"
http://www.newaudio.it/DVDO/EDGE/EDG...uct_Manual.pdf

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I'd like to pull it and open it up to see if there are any blown caps or other obvious signs of electrical failure. The problem is it's plumbed in quite well. I luckily bought a back up Edge from a forum member a few years ago and it's just sat in a box. So I can at least get that out to use it, but I don't have all my settings, and I'd like to get this one fixed if possible.

Also at the same time, my Harmony 670 died. I have a backup 620. I just don't know how I have such bad luck that both devices failed on the same night. Bad things come in 3's, so.... what's next?!

post #7284 of 7289 Old 12-03-2018, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also at the same time, my Harmony 670 died. I have a backup 620. I just don't know how I have such bad luck that both devices failed on the same night. Bad things come in 3's, so.... what's next?!

Well, I found out what was next. I opened that spare 620 I had, and when I power it up, it just says "System Error 1", and no amount of battery jockeying will bring it to life. Brand new out of the box, doesn't work. I think perhaps I shouldn't touch anything else tonight...
BiggAW likes this.

post #7285 of 7289 Old 12-06-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just an update, I put my spare Edge in service, it's working fine. I knew I had made settings adjustments to some of the inputs, luckily, I posted my DVD input settings here a while ago.

I opened up the old Edge, and there were no obvious physical signs of damage on the power supply board, but it sure stunk like our living room did, and I confirmed this with my wife (who has a better nose than I). So, I ordered a replacement PSU from mouser. Upon opening it, I think I realized my original unit may have been a factory refurb. It came in a brown box, but was the same size and all the same internals as the retail box my second Edge came in; and the plastic screws holding the power supply on, 2 were already had stripped heads. Makes me think the PSU had been replaced before I ever got it.

I also decided to order another new Harmony 620, figured I must have used up all my bad luck the other night.

This incident got me thinking, does anyone make a small HDMI In -> HDMI Out that all it does is video processing, including custom output scaling for underscan? The DVDO iScan Mini and Micro look very close, but reading the manual, I don't think they have the custom scaling. With a box or dongle like that, I could probably get by with a modern receiver, though I'd still need something to handle composite, S-Video, and component from my legacy game systems.
BiggAW likes this.

post #7286 of 7289 Old 12-12-2018, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just an update, I put my spare Edge in service, it's working fine. I knew I had made settings adjustments to some of the inputs, luckily, I posted my DVD input settings here a while ago.

I opened up the old Edge, and there were no obvious physical signs of damage on the power supply board, but it sure stunk like our living room did, and I confirmed this with my wife (who has a better nose than I). So, I ordered a replacement PSU from mouser. Upon opening it, I think I realized my original unit may have been a factory refurb. It came in a brown box, but was the same size and all the same internals as the retail box my second Edge came in; and the plastic screws holding the power supply on, 2 were already had stripped heads. Makes me think the PSU had been replaced before I ever got it.

I also decided to order another new Harmony 620, figured I must have used up all my bad luck the other night.

This incident got me thinking, does anyone make a small HDMI In -> HDMI Out that all it does is video processing, including custom output scaling for underscan? The DVDO iScan Mini and Micro look very close, but reading the manual, I don't think they have the custom scaling. With a box or dongle like that, I could probably get by with a modern receiver, though I'd still need something to handle composite, S-Video, and component from my legacy game systems.

Some updates to my saga:

1. I got the new PSU, installed it, and now my original Edge is working fine.

2. I got my replacement 620 and it seems to work fine.

3. I bought my Dad's old Harmony 670 that still works that he had replaced with a 700, but the case and buttons were wore down. I just swapped the circuit board into my DOA new 620 case and buttons. Now I have a basically new black 670.

4. I had reported a few years ago that trying to use the IPA trick on my replacement Edge didn't work. Well, I tried again, and I found the best method is to remove the top, pour the IPA on, spread it around with your fingers, then use a sturdy cloth and lots of elbow grease to rub the coating off. I eventually got it all off and now it's a nice matte black.

Since this recent incident caused me to think about the Edge again, I wondered if there had been any firmware updates. The last that was seemingly available by DVDO was 1.62. I did find on another forum a v1.63. I sent DVDO an email asking what was different in that version, but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone here know what changed from 1.62 to 1.63?

post #7287 of 7289 Old 04-22-2019, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am wanting to update my DVDO Edge Green to the final firmware version. DVDO sent me a zip file in response to my request, but the file it contains has a ".sii" extension (vs. the expected ".abt"). Does anyone know if the .sii file will work, or does anyone have the ".abt" file for the final firmware version? Appreciate your help!

******** UPDATE

Never mind, I got my own answer when I saw that my previous firmware also had a ".sii" extension. I surmise that ".abt" stood for Anchor Bay Technologies (the original creator of the DVDO products), and the ".sii" stands for Silicon Image Inc., the guys who took over the product line.

All the warnings in the manual about "use only .abt files" are no longer valid!

rlhn
--------------------------
LG OLED 65C9PUA, Yamaha RX-V685 AVR, Polk Audio SurroundBar 500, Pioneer SW-8 Subwoofer, Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-Ray, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K, DISH Hopper 3 w/OTA Tuner, Chromecast Ultra

Last edited by rlhn; 04-22-2019 at 02:25 PM.
post #7288 of 7289 Old 11-11-2019, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhn View Post
I am wanting to update my DVDO Edge Green to the final firmware version. DVDO sent me a zip file in response to my request, but the file it contains has a ".sii" extension (vs. the expected ".abt"). Does anyone know if the .sii file will work, or does anyone have the ".abt" file for the final firmware version? Appreciate your help!

******** UPDATE

Never mind, I got my own answer when I saw that my previous firmware also had a ".sii" extension. I surmise that ".abt" stood for Anchor Bay Technologies (the original creator of the DVDO products), and the ".sii" stands for Silicon Image Inc., the guys who took over the product line.

All the warnings in the manual about "use only .abt files" are no longer valid!
Can I have the final firmware version?

Thanks,
natt
post #7289 of 7289 Old 11-11-2019, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Final DVDO Edge Green Firmware

The final DVDO Edge Green firmware is Version 1.01, Build 0.13, file name is EDGEG101_013.sii This forum will not accept the file for posting, but if you don't already have it, send me a private message with your email, and I will send it to you.

rlhn
--------------------------
LG OLED 65C9PUA, Yamaha RX-V685 AVR, Polk Audio SurroundBar 500, Pioneer SW-8 Subwoofer, Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-Ray, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K, DISH Hopper 3 w/OTA Tuner, Chromecast Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page