post #2461 of 7287 Old 12-05-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abq-Pete View Post

The DVDO Edge webpage (http://www.anchorbaytech.com/dvdo_edge/support.php) states differently:

"PReP technology allows 480p, 576p, 1080p/50, 1080p/60, and other formats to be processed by this method."

Perhaps I misunderstand what it is implying.

Regards, Peter

Not being a PAL person, I omitted 576p. However, Ive never seen PReP active on 1080p inputs. Perhaps if the algorithm fails to see a 3:2 frame cadence then it deactivates the PReP indication in 'info'. The website certainly says as you indicated and also in another place you didnt reference so I tend to believe that my earlier statement was incorrect and more likely the above is what is happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 7287 Old 12-05-2008, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to announce the availability of a firmware update for EDGE. It will be available on our web site next week (probably midweek). Along with the new firmware, there will be instructions for doing a firmware update, and a supplement to the manual that describes new features.

EDGE Firmware v1.1 is the result of 2+ months of development and testing beyond the original v1.0 firmware that is currently shipping. This firmware release is recommended to all EDGE owners because it makes EDGE a more robust and compatible product. In addition, it includes a number of improvements and advanced new features:

o Improves compatibility with inputs from computers, including Home Theater Personal Computers
o Improves HDCP related display compatibility
o Improves compatibility with multichannel PCM audio formats
o Improves compatibility and performance with inputs from Video Game Consoles
o Reduces blue screen flashing when switching inputs
o Improves input switching
o Doubles granularity of all picture controls
o Improves the performance of Mosquito Noise Reduction
o Adds automatic Chroma Upsampling Error Correction (CUE)
o Info button enters and exits info screens (did not exit in v1.0)
o Adds a Advanced Controls selection to the Settings Menu including these new features:
- 35 test patterns which are automatically sized for the output format with correct colorimetry.
- 1:1 Frame Rate feature, allows output frame rate to track input, for users who play both 50Hz and 60Hz video
- Fail Safe Mode, uses Guide button to restore picture if display blanks due to 1:1 Frame Rate
- Output Color Space: choose between RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2(10 bits)
- Output Colorimetry: choose between ITU.601 or ITU.709 color standards, or let EDGE choose automatically
- Output Video Level: choose between Video Levels, or Computer Levels, or let EDGE choose automatically
- Input Video Level: choose between Video Levels, or Computer Levels, or let EDGE choose automatically
- PReP Control: lets user's disable PReP, or let EDGE enable PReP automatically

Thanks to our beta testers for making this version possible, and for their suggestions for improvements and new features.

[email protected] (on the beta testers forum)
post #2463 of 7287 Old 12-05-2008, 06:57 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8960 Post(s)
Liked: 5738
I'm sure everyone will be pleased with this new update. It adds many worthwhile features and makes the EDGE an even greater value.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--72TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2464 of 7287 Old 12-05-2008, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What are the details about "improved game compatibility"? I pretty much committed to never to buying an Edge when I passed up the post-Thanksgiving 25%-off specials, largely because the improved game features weren't yet included and I'm done buying processors based on unimplemented promises. I'm naturally a bit curious what I missed, though.
post #2465 of 7287 Old 12-05-2008, 07:25 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidb View Post

What are the details about "improved game compatibility"? I pretty much committed to never to buying an Edge when I passed up the post-Thanksgiving 25%-off specials, largely because the improved game features weren't yet included and I'm done buying processors based on unimplemented promises. I'm naturally a bit curious what I missed, though.

I have no idea. I do use my EDGE now with an Xbox 360 in game mode on the EDGE. I have no problems playing any games or watching any VOD titles. Previously I always attached the 360 straight to my TV.

The new EDGE firmware will really please alot of people. It adds many, many features that I never expected to be incorporated into the EGDE. I almost bought a second EDGE when they were on sale, and I probably should have, given the excellent price they were going for.

post #2466 of 7287 Old 12-05-2008, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

10-bit 4:2:2 is a big addition, as is the 1:1 framelock. Test patterns also help. People will enjoy the improvements.

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
post #2467 of 7287 Old 12-05-2008, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by LThom View Post

I wanted to announce the availability of a firmware update for EDGE.

Thanks Larry...

Please advise if the download page for the Edge will be different than the page for the VP & HD processors.

http://www.anchorbaytech.com/support...oads/index.php

Bear5K... I assume the best way to calibrate with an Edge in the system will be to use the test patterns? I'd also love to hear about manually choosing REC709 and 4:4:4 from a source like the Panasonic 55K BD player.
post #2468 of 7287 Old 12-05-2008, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
I have been using the Edge with many different Blu ray players, HD805 HD DVD player, JVC HMDT100U, Onkyo SP1000, Onkyo 886 PRO (as well as a 906 receiver), two different DirecTV HD DVRs and my Sony VPL VW200. I was able to go to the Edge in favor of my VP50pro. It has pretty much all the same features (besides the Curtain) and also works with the advanced audio codecs. I run two HD DVRs into it, Sony S5000ES, HD805, JVC HMDT100U, Wii, Karaoke and a Security Monitor! I also send in a Xbox 360, PS3 and Onkyo SP1000 from my 886 PRO. All units work perfectly fine with the Edge. Changing inputs is a breeze and checking to see if the pizza guy is here by the touch of a button (video 1-security monitor) makes life that much easier! So does Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD going thru the Edge first then into my pre/pro. The new firmware also allows colorspace options and of course my favorite Compute (PC) level changes for sports! With the new features the Edge is easily hands down the absolute best buy VP on the market today. If you are on the fence there is not a single reason not to get off it. You get a really cool remote to go with it to! I am getting just as good of a picture as I was using the VP50 pro and crystalio II. Congrats to DVDO for being the first to put all the latest together in a nice affordable package. Again with the latest firmware the Edge is a complete Video and Audio nucleus that will vastly improve any high end as well as modest set up...

It should also be noted that doing a firmware update for the Edge only takes about 20 seconds. It is so easy even a caveman can do it!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

4K HDR10- ignore the “rules” and trust your eyes!
post #2469 of 7287 Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidb View Post

If I remember correctly, it automatically enables the game mode now when 240p or 288p signals are detected.

What improved features were you looking for?
post #2470 of 7287 Old 12-05-2008, 09:42 PM

I have an EDGE arriving next week. Can someone advise me in advance what cable/adaptors I need for this update and where they can be purchased? Radioshack is two blocks away from me.
post #2471 of 7287 Old 12-05-2008, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The updates will be great improvements.One question though.Download the firmware to my laptop and just use a standard mini usb cable to hook to the edge????In canada here the usb cable did not come included with the edge.
post #2472 of 7287 Old 12-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yes, update is simply with a USB-->USB mini cable. Easiest firmware update I've ever applied!
post #2473 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta-kid View Post

The updates will be great improvements.One question though.Download the firmware to my laptop and just use a standard mini usb cable to hook to the edge????In canada here the usb cable did not come included with the edge.

I don't think the US version comes with a cable either. Anyone get a USB cable in the box?
post #2474 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
v.1.1 warning for videogame users: support for NTSC vintage videogame systems has basically been dropped in the new retail firmware. It was working on quite a few firmwares since the original retail 1.0, but while trying to fix the support for 50Hz PAL systems, it got lost for 240p60 signals. With the 1.1 firmware the Edge is the same as the VP50/50pro (in this matter).
post #2475 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 03:05 AM

That is a really good news LThom !

---Improves compatibility with multichannel PCM audio formats---

Does that mean, that the issue with Dolby Digital audio dropouts is solved ?

Best regards

Maier2505

Quote:

I wanted to announce the availability of a firmware update for EDGE. It will be available on our web site next week (probably midweek). Along with the new firmware, there will be instructions for doing a firmware update, and a supplement to the manual that describes new features.

EDGE Firmware v1.1 is the result of 2+ months of development and testing beyond the original v1.0 firmware that is currently shipping. This firmware release is recommended to all EDGE owners because it makes EDGE a more robust and compatible product. In addition, it includes a number of improvements and advanced new features:

o Improves compatibility with inputs from computers, including Home Theater Personal Computers
o Improves HDCP related display compatibility
o Improves compatibility with multichannel PCM audio formats
o Improves compatibility and performance with inputs from Video Game Consoles
o Reduces blue screen flashing when switching inputs
o Improves input switching
o Doubles granularity of all picture controls
o Improves the performance of Mosquito Noise Reduction
o Adds automatic Chroma Upsampling Error Correction (CUE)
o Info button enters and exits info screens (did not exit in v1.0)
o Adds a Advanced Controls selection to the Settings Menu including these new features:
- 35 test patterns which are automatically sized for the output format with correct colorimetry.
- 1:1 Frame Rate feature, allows output frame rate to track input, for users who play both 50Hz and 60Hz video
- Fail Safe Mode, uses Guide button to restore picture if display blanks due to 1:1 Frame Rate
- Output Color Space: choose between RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2(10 bits)
- Output Colorimetry: choose between ITU.601 or ITU.709 color standards, or let EDGE choose automatically
- Output Video Level: choose between Video Levels, or Computer Levels, or let EDGE choose automatically
- Input Video Level: choose between Video Levels, or Computer Levels, or let EDGE choose automatically
- PReP Control: lets user's disable PReP, or let EDGE enable PReP automatically

Thanks to our beta testers for making this version possible, and for their suggestions for improvements and new features.

[email protected] (on the beta testers forum)

post #2476 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 03:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

I don't think the US version comes with a cable either. Anyone get a USB cable in the box?

My retail US Edge did not include a USB cable (needs a mini-usb to standard usb cable).

FYI the 1:1 frame lock works with 24p, 50i/p, and 60i/p input signals. Works great for any source device that switches output framerates like the PS3 (24p for Blu-Ray and 60P for games) or DVD players that switch between 50i/p and 60i/p depending on if the disk is NTSC or PAL.
post #2477 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

This made my morning, Thank You. The new features will make a great product even better.

-- Jim
post #2478 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 05:38 AM

I am wondering if there's anyone who has tried if the PQLS is still active between a pioneer BR player & AVR if the Edge goes between........ anyone knows???
post #2479 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

With the new features the Edge is easily hands down the absolute best buy VP on the market today. If you are on the fence there is not a single reason not to get off it. You get a really cool remote to go with it to! I am getting just as good of a picture as I was using the VP50 pro and crystalio II.

I agree it's an excellent value. However, it's not without weaknesses.

Video deinterlacing of both 480i and 1080i sources is only average IMO. Scaling from either 480 or 720 to 1080 is also only average.

Film deinterlacing of both 480i/1080i is excellent.

The combo of a Reon-based AVR/pre for video deinterlacing and the Edge for film deinterlacing plus switching, colorspace conversion, 1:1 framelock, CUE filtering, test patterns, etc. approaches the best in performance on all fronts. This is still at a VERY reasonable price considering the price of a one-box A/V-P to match this overall performance. In fact, it may not even be possible at this point with one box unless Realta outperforms Reon with film sources.
post #2480 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects View Post

My retail US Edge did not include a USB cable (needs a mini-usb to standard usb cable).

FYI the 1:1 frame lock works with 24p, 50i/p, and 60i/p input signals. Works great for any source device that switches output framerates like the PS3 (24p for Blu-Ray and 60P for games) or DVD players that switch between 50i/p and 60i/p depending on if the disk is NTSC or PAL.

What happens if I input 1080p24 and I have output resolution set to 720p50 or 720p60 (I have a 720p projector) and I have set "1:1 frame lock" ?

Do the EDGE send 720p24 to the projector ?

Richard.
post #2481 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 06:45 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maier2505 View Post

That is a really good news LThom !

---Improves compatibility with multichannel PCM audio formats---

Does that mean, that the issue with Dolby Digital audio dropouts is solved ?

Best regards

Maier2505

I've never had any dropouts going to my Denon 3808.
The EDGE has been handling the bitstreaming over HDMI fine for all the legacy codecs and all the advanced codecs for me without any problems.

post #2482 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlemesle View Post

What happens if I input 1080p24 and I have output resolution set to 720p50 or 720p60 (I have a 720p projector) and I have set "1:1 frame lock" ?

Do the EDGE send 720p24 to the projector ?

Richard.

Yep. And if the pj can't accept this signal then you'll get a blank screen. The "guide" button can be pressed to go back to safe mode in that case.

If your pj does a decent job of scaling 1080 to 720 (and assuming the pj can accept 1080p24) then you may be better off setting Edge to output 1080p.
post #2483 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Yep. And if the pj can't accept this signal then you'll get a blank screen. The "guide" button can be pressed to go back to safe mode in that case.

If your pj does a decent job of scaling 1080 to 720 (and assuming the pj can accept 1080p24) then you may be better off setting Edge to output 1080p.

Ok confused again. It mentions 442 at 10 bit. I thought it would have to be 444 at 10 bit like the new panasonic. It outs 444 at 10 bit. But the edge is doing the 10 bit at 422. So is it chip dependent? Some chips can do 444 at 10 bit like the panny but others can't like edge.

Cause I. That case if you feed 444 10 bit from the panasonic you will have a downsample to 8 bit if you keep it at 444 but if you want to stay at 10 bit you will have a color space change to 444?
post #2484 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Haven't we discussed this already?

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post15127614
post #2485 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Haven't we discussed this already?

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post15127614

Sorry. I reread this. So I can't think deep color. If just talking colorspace then 422 is 10 bit or higher. And 444 is stuck at 8. But if talking deep color then 444 can do higher like the panasonic is doing?
post #2486 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 07:54 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

Ok confused again. It mentions 442 at 10 bit. I thought it would have to be 444 at 10 bit like the new panasonic. It outs 444 at 10 bit. But the edge is doing the 10 bit at 422. So is it chip dependent? Some chips can do 444 at 10 bit like the panny but others can't like edge.

Cause I. That case if you feed 444 10 bit from the panasonic you will have a downsample to 8 bit if you keep it at 444 but if you want to stay at 10 bit you will have a color space change to 444?

The PAnny outputs 4:2:2 into my EGDE and VP50pro.

post #2487 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 08:22 AM

Hi, aaronwt !

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I've never had any dropouts going to my Denon 3808.
The EDGE has been handling the bitstreaming over HDMI fine for all the legacy codecs and all the advanced codecs for me without any problems.

O.K., that seems to dependent on the used equipment.

Please look i.e. quote #2118:

As long as the audio is routed through the Edge, I hear scores of very short, non-repeatable audio dropouts (no distortion) every hour. It's a continuous stream of micro silences, which occur every few seconds. If I bypass the Edge (say via SPDIF to AVR), no problem. The picture is unaffected. This is very annoying and renders the Edge nearly unusable.

Same to me...

I am using a german DVB-Box (Reelbox) and if I route through the EDGE to my Sony ES5200 AVR, I have audio dropouts at AC3, which are not present if the AVR is routed before the EDGE...

Best regards

maier2505
post #2488 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

Sorry. I reread this. So I can't think deep color. If just talking colorspace then 422 is 10 bit or higher. And 444 is stuck at 8. But if talking deep color then 444 can do higher like the panasonic is doing?

Yes, although if you are talking about the Panny BD players they aren't upsampling to deep color. The Pio players will but there's no guarantee this will benefit anything (or even that it won't negatively alter the image in some way depending on what other processing is applied). FYI the PS3 also upsamples to deep color to a capable display/sink.
post #2489 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 11:04 AM

I'm getting set up next week with a new 111FD and a Panasonic 55 player.
I'll probably wind up before it's over with Digital cable (will be HD in the future), Satellite, non-hdmi analog receiver, and DVR (dvr's kinda iffy).

If I get the DVDO Edge, can anyone tell me (if you have the time to kill) how all this would go together and what kind of difference using one may make? Also thinking of a Harmony remote, but not sure how it would work with all this stuff. thanks
post #2490 of 7287 Old 12-06-2008, 11:25 AM

Great news on the firmware update. Although not mentioned in the release notes I hope the problems I have with frame rate conversion from film based NTSC DVD's to 1080p24 has been fixed as well (the shimmering of the top few lines).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page