I wanted to announce the availability of a firmware update for EDGE. It will be available on our web site next week (probably midweek). Along with the new firmware, there will be instructions for doing a firmware update, and a supplement to the manual that describes new features.
EDGE Firmware v1.1 is the result of 2+ months of development and testing beyond the original v1.0 firmware that is currently shipping. This firmware release is recommended to all EDGE owners because it makes EDGE a more robust and compatible product. In addition, it includes a number of improvements and advanced new features:
o Improves compatibility with inputs from computers, including Home Theater Personal Computers
o Improves HDCP related display compatibility
o Improves compatibility with multichannel PCM audio formats
o Improves compatibility and performance with inputs from Video Game Consoles
o Reduces blue screen flashing when switching inputs
o Improves input switching
o Doubles granularity of all picture controls
o Improves the performance of Mosquito Noise Reduction
o Adds automatic Chroma Upsampling Error Correction (CUE)
o Info button enters and exits info screens (did not exit in v1.0)
o Adds a Advanced Controls selection to the Settings Menu including these new features:
- 35 test patterns which are automatically sized for the output format with correct colorimetry.
- 1:1 Frame Rate feature, allows output frame rate to track input, for users who play both 50Hz and 60Hz video
- Fail Safe Mode, uses Guide button to restore picture if display blanks due to 1:1 Frame Rate
- Output Color Space: choose between RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2(10 bits)
- Output Colorimetry: choose between ITU.601 or ITU.709 color standards, or let EDGE choose automatically
- Output Video Level: choose between Video Levels, or Computer Levels, or let EDGE choose automatically
- Input Video Level: choose between Video Levels, or Computer Levels, or let EDGE choose automatically
- PReP Control: lets user's disable PReP, or let EDGE enable PReP automatically
Thanks to our beta testers for making this version possible, and for their suggestions for improvements and new features.
(on the beta testers forum)