Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread. - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #1411 of 1516 Old 11-30-2015, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anyone here had experience uploading new firmware with a Mac? I have Parallels with Win 7 on one of my machines.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1516 Old 12-01-2015, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 295
yes i have parallels and use xp and win8.1 and have no problems

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #1413 of 1516 Old 12-02-2015, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser View Post
yes i have parallels and use xp and win8.1 and have no problems

Thanks. I have had no problems but have gotten quite behind.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 1516 Old 12-03-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Ran into a small issue. I use both outputs of my receiver. One goes to the mini and then to my projector, the other to a plasma. The receiver has pass through when it is turned off. I found that if I left the mini on, it was giving me periodic drop outs on the plasma. I am guessing that the signal was trying to handshake with both devices.
Shutting off the Lumagen stopped the drop outs. Just a little tidbit I ran into. I thought I would share.
post #1415 of 1516 Old 12-05-2015, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post
Ran into a small issue. I use both outputs of my receiver. One goes to the mini and then to my projector, the other to a plasma. The receiver has pass through when it is turned off. I found that if I left the mini on, it was giving me periodic drop outs on the plasma. I am guessing that the signal was trying to handshake with both devices.

Shutting off the Lumagen stopped the drop outs. Just a little tidbit I ran into. I thought I would share.

I had the opposite problem with you. When I have active both outputs of my receiver, when in pass through mode to my TV, the signal doesn't lock unless I power up the Mini. After that, when the signal locks, I can turn off the Mini again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1416 of 1516 Old 12-05-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Which receiver or pre-pro do you have? Maybe it is a Denon thing or mine is just tempermental.
post #1417 of 1516 Old 12-05-2015, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread.

Help needed with this possible setup:

PTAE8000U with anamorphic Phoenix lens (no sled perm mounted) on a curved 2.35 dedicated screen.

For 16:9 3D content- It will be stretched with the lens in place, my understanding is that will kill the ability to do 3D due to the stretch. I've been told using a Radiance 3D will give me the ability to do some processing and have the ability to do 3D without any degradation in performance with the lens in place in the screen. I'm not sure if that will be in a 16:9 or 2.35 format.

Alternatively if I dumped the ALens purchase and went with just the Lumagen what would my options be for getting 3D 16:9 material on the 2.35 screen?

Also considering a dual format Elite VMAX dual tensioned screen for the zoom stops, combined with a Radiance, but no lens.

Any opinions or suggestions or info welcome.

Any help with this much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by razevents; 12-05-2015 at 11:55 AM.
post #1418 of 1516 Old 12-06-2015, 05:02 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
Any Radiance can do aspect ratio control for both 2D and 3D, without needing an Anamorphic Lens.

This has two advantages:

1) There are no A-Lens aberrations.

2) For 2.35 Blurays on a 1080p 2.35 screen you can set up the Radiance to turn of scaling since the input and output pixels will match. This results in the sharpest image for the 2.35 source. For 4k, the same is true for UHD 2.35 source with a 4k projector on a 2.35 screen (you would need one of the Radiance Pro units for the 4k source)

For 16:9 2D or 3D material on a 2.35 screen you can either watch it at the correct aspect ratio with side-bars, or you can use the the Radiance Non-Linear-Stretch (NLS) for stretch the 16:9 to fill teh 2.35 in a user-configurable way. Note that NLS does stretch the image and so this may affect the 3D to some degree.

So for most installations, we are recommending that the best option is to use the Radiance for aspect ratio control without an A-Lens.

Also, if you choose not to use an A-Lens, you may want a flat screen. You can check with the projector manufacturer, but I believe the lens in most (all?) projectors are manufactured for best performance with a flat screen. I believe the curved screen came about mostly to deal with corner focus issues when using an A-Lens.
Kilgore likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1419 of 1516 Old 12-29-2015, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Picture Quality

Hi All,

I have a lumagen mini + Sony HW55 + Oppo 103-Darbee + Seymour AT screen and the picture quality ain't that good as I never spent time seriously tuning and calibrating it.

My SonyHW55ES setting are per: https://www.avforums.com/threads/son...tings.1866843/

Does anyone have similar recommendations from a lumagen standpoint? I'm reading about calibration discs like Disney WOW and Spears&Munsil etc - which one should I go with? Thx for the help.

Last edited by smuggymba; 12-29-2015 at 12:50 PM.
post #1420 of 1516 Old 12-29-2015, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
Hi All,

I have a lumagen mini + Sony HW55 + Oppo 103-Darbee + Seymour AT screen and the picture quality ain't that good as I never spent time seriously tuning and calibrating it.

My SonyHW55ES setting are per: https://www.avforums.com/threads/son...tings.1866843/

Does anyone have similar recommendations from a lumagen standpoint? I'm reading about calibration discs like Disney WOW and Spears&Munsil etc - which one should I go with? Thx for the help.
What are you using to calibrate the Mini and Projector? If you are not using a Meter and appropriate software, that will need to be your next upgrade. Using other people's settings will not produce good results in your theater since every setup is different.

You already have the perfect setup for achieving a great calibration out of your projector. The Mini has all the test patterns, plus the ability to do a full color and gamma calibration/correction built into it. You just need the right gear to "unlock/access" it.

I had a Mini to start with, then had the opportunity to upgrade to a 2041. I am using Chromapure calibration software with the i1 Display 3 meter and the advanced auto calibrate option.

http://chromapure.com/

If you were within a reasonable distance to me, I'd offer to buzz over and calibrate the projector for you. Once you know the tricks, it doesn't take too long. The results are stunning.

Another option is to go here and ask if anyone is in your area who can do a calibration. Will cost you a bit of cash, but you can get an idea of what is possible.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...post-here.html

It's worth the cost to either have someone do the calibration or buy the necessary meter and software to do the calibration yourself. It's a bit of a learning curve, but there is enough help here to get you through it.

Last edited by pdxfj; 12-29-2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added link to display calibration thread
post #1421 of 1516 Old 12-30-2015, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxfj View Post
What are you using to calibrate the Mini and Projector? If you are not using a Meter and appropriate software, that will need to be your next upgrade. Using other people's settings will not produce good results in your theater since every setup is different.

You already have the perfect setup for achieving a great calibration out of your projector. The Mini has all the test patterns, plus the ability to do a full color and gamma calibration/correction built into it. You just need the right gear to "unlock/access" it.

I had a Mini to start with, then had the opportunity to upgrade to a 2041. I am using Chromapure calibration software with the i1 Display 3 meter and the advanced auto calibrate option.

http://chromapure.com/

If you were within a reasonable distance to me, I'd offer to buzz over and calibrate the projector for you. Once you know the tricks, it doesn't take too long. The results are stunning.

Another option is to go here and ask if anyone is in your area who can do a calibration. Will cost you a bit of cash, but you can get an idea of what is possible.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...post-here.html

It's worth the cost to either have someone do the calibration or buy the necessary meter and software to do the calibration yourself. It's a bit of a learning curve, but there is enough help here to get you through it.
So far nothing, just reading online and trying to follow other people's "settings" - I know not the best wat to go. I do want to go for professional calibration but it will have to wait a few months.

Right now I'm trying to see how I can start learning and access different resources; even if I do professional calibration at some time, I'd still like to understand how things work so I can re-do it of needed.

I'm in Houston, not sure where you're based.

Are the calibration DVD's any good? Also, how much does a typical professional installation run? Thx.
post #1422 of 1516 Old 01-01-2016, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
So far nothing, just reading online and trying to follow other people's "settings" - I know not the best wat to go. I do want to go for professional calibration but it will have to wait a few months.

Right now I'm trying to see how I can start learning and access different resources; even if I do professional calibration at some time, I'd still like to understand how things work so I can re-do it of needed.

I'm in Houston, not sure where you're based.

Are the calibration DVD's any good? Also, how much does a typical professional installation run? Thx.
As far as how much a professional calibration would cost, you would have to head over to the ISF calibration thread I posted above. There you could search for people in Houston. The typical price I've seen is between $400-$600. For that you could buy yourself a meter and the necessary software to do the calibration yourself. There is a bit of a learning curve, but since you already have the Lumagen Mini, a majority of the work will be taken care of with the auto calibration. You do some adjustments to begin with and once you get things as close as you can, you start the auto calibration. I believe the Mini capable of a 125 point color calibration and at least a 12 point gamma calibration.

You already sound like you're willing to learn how to do a calibration. I was in the same boat and decided to learn it myself, instead of paying someone to do it. If you have the will, aptitude and patience by all means, lean how to do it yourself. Very rewarding when you achieve a good calibration and see details in movies you never knew were there. The Chromapure thread(s) are very active and the creator of the software posts there quite often to help folks. He's also rather quick to respond via e-mail.

A calibration disc will get you so far. There is one available here on AVS for free but requires you to burn your own DVD. You can also buy discs such as the Disney WOW, DVE Basics and Spears & Munsil.

You should at the very least get your contrast and brightness set correctly. Turn off all enhancements in the projector, and find the section in the Mini's manual to bring up the Reference test patterns. There are a number of patterns to adjust Contrast and Brightness. The Reference patterns bypass any corrections or processing and are for doing the initial adjustments using the projector's controls. The adjustable patterns are for using the Mini to make color and gamma adjustments. I believe it's menu, other, test patterns, reference. You then use the arrows and 1 & 4 buttons on the remote to move through the different sets of test patterns.

If this had only come up a few months ago. I was in Houston a couple of different times on business. No plans for me to be down there again anytime soon, but if something comes up I'll let you know. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Don't give up. You have a very powerful tool, that when put to its proper use will blow your mind. I'm running a JVC 4910 and when viewing Star Wars at one of the local "high end" theaters I was disappointed at the picture quality. Friends remarked to me that my theater was 100x better than the commercial theater. They all want to see it again in my theater when it's released on Blu-Ray.
AVfile and Bagua like this.
post #1423 of 1516 Old 01-09-2016, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I have been getting serious issues with my Radiance Mini lately. Often it just shuts inself down when changing resolution on the source. Does matter what the source, I tried my Oppo 95 and my PS4 for example. I tried factory resetting the Radiance, changing HDMI cables and fiddling around with settings such as Output modes, EDID etc. I am beginning to worry that my Radiance might be broken, because it has been working just fine up until a month ago when all this started. Right now, as of out of the blue, my Oppo seems to be working fine on input1, but connecting the PS4 to input2, the Radiance just shuts itself down when connecting the PS4 (1080p). I tried setting everything to AUTO on all resolution and output mode, but nothing works.
post #1424 of 1516 Old 01-10-2016, 05:54 AM

Update. Yesterday I thought all was fixed. Got picture on both Oppo 95 and PS4. Today I started the PS4 and began playing, but I noticed it was stuttering. Output on PS4 is 1080p60 and the Lumagen setting was changed (by itself) from Custom Auto, to Custom 1080p24. When I change this to Auto again, the unit turns itself off instantly
post #1425 of 1516 Old 01-10-2016, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Update. Yesterday I thought all was fixed. Got picture on both Oppo 95 and PS4. Today I started the PS4 and began playing, but I noticed it was stuttering. Output on PS4 is 1080p60 and the Lumagen setting was changed (by itself) from Custom Auto, to Custom 1080p24. When I change this to Auto again, the unit turns itself off instantly
Drem,

You may have a power supply that is on its way out. Unstable voltage can lead to intermittent failures at any point. Do you have any way of testing the PSU output - voltmeter?
After ensuring that the PSU is stable, I would do a 'forced firmware upgrade', the instructions are on the Lumagen website - maybe you have a couple of flash cells that need a refresh.
If your issues continue, log onto the Lumagen forum and post some information there - it will usually get a response from someone that works for Lumagen.

Good luck, Mike.
post #1426 of 1516 Old 01-10-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_mike View Post
Drem,

You may have a power supply that is on its way out. Unstable voltage can lead to intermittent failures at any point. Do you have any way of testing the PSU output - voltmeter?
After ensuring that the PSU is stable, I would do a 'forced firmware upgrade', the instructions are on the Lumagen website - maybe you have a couple of flash cells that need a refresh.
If your issues continue, log onto the Lumagen forum and post some information there - it will usually get a response from someone that works for Lumagen.

Good luck, Mike.
Thanks for your tips! Unfortunately I dont have any means to try the PSU. I will try the force firmware upgrade.
post #1427 of 1516 Old 01-10-2016, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Thanks for your tips! Unfortunately I dont have any means to try the PSU. I will try the force firmware upgrade.
One tip, that may not be in the instructions - disconnect all inputs when performing the upgrade - it stops the Radiance trying to juggle to many processes at once.

Regards, Mike.
post #1428 of 1516 Old 01-10-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_mike View Post
One tip, that may not be in the instructions - disconnect all inputs when performing the upgrade - it stops the Radiance trying to juggle to many processes at once.

Regards, Mike.
Thanks, updating firmware now...
post #1429 of 1516 Old 01-10-2016, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks, updating firmware now...
Hate to say it but, Drem, I am glad you posted this as I am now having similar issues. My problem isn't that it completely shuts down but it's "stuttering" quite a bit, meaning the picture cuts in and out (screen goes black) and it appears to have a hard time deciding what to do. One time when it came back from a black screen, the upper half of the screen showed the bottom of the image on the disc and the lower half of the screen was black. Completely unpredictable. I'm also going to contact Lumagen for advice. My unit was sent in once before because it was overheating and they provided a solution to help with that. Not sure if this is a power supply issue or something else.
Drem likes this.
post #1430 of 1516 Old 01-10-2016, 08:21 AM

Still same problem. Now I cant even get any of my sources to work. As soon as I power on either the Oppo 95 or the PS4 the Lumagen turns off automatically.
post #1431 of 1516 Old 01-10-2016, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Can you move it temporarily to another TV or Computer monitor with HDMI and also try another output cable?

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #1432 of 1516 Old 01-10-2016, 10:16 AM

Now the unit will not even power on. Seems completely dead. No lights or nothing. I have sent an email to Lumagen support.
post #1433 of 1516 Old 01-11-2016, 03:17 AM

A little update...

Seems as if my mini3D is dead. I noticed when sniffing closer yesterday that there is a funny smell coming from the unit so I suspect something happened with the adapter, power surge or something. I got an upgrade offer from Jim and I am currently deciding what to do. There was no warranty left on my mini3D, unfortunately.
post #1434 of 1516 Old 01-11-2016, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Sorry to hear that, what is the failure rate on these? I'm debating either buying used or new. I'm thinking new just to play it safe, but haven't decided.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #1435 of 1516 Old 01-11-2016, 03:34 PM
kal
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagua View Post
Sorry to hear that, what is the failure rate on these?
Extremely low. They're (generally speaking) extremely reliable, as are all Radiance units. I can count the number of issues we've had with units we've sold on one hand.

Like anything, do make sure it's reasonably well ventilated. I.e. Don't mounted your Mini upside down (blocking the holes) in an enclosed space with other very hot electronics (we've seen this done). Keep it out in the open somewhere.

Good luck!

Kal
Bagua likes this.
post #1436 of 1516 Old 01-11-2016, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Extremely low. They're (generally speaking) extremely reliable, as are all Radiance units. I can count the number of issues we've had with units we've sold on one hand.

Like anything, do make sure it's reasonably well ventilated. I.e. Don't mounted your Mini upside down (blocking the holes) in an enclosed space with other very hot electronics (we've seen this done). Keep it out in the open somewhere.

Good luck!

Kal
Kal thanks for taking the time to help a noob and for the quick response.
post #1437 of 1516 Old 01-11-2016, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 178
To me the cheap Power supply is the weak part. Mine was DOA. The rest of it has taken a pounding without ever shutting down or freezing.
Drem likes this.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #1438 of 1516 Old 01-11-2016, 10:15 PM

Just waiting for some additional information from Lumagen. The trade-in program seems like a very good deal (almost half the price of a new unit), and fortunately for me they accept "broken" units trade-ins. I am thinking about getting the 2020. The concerns for me are custom taxes (Sweden) and how to send my Mini back to them. Still haven't decided what to do.
post #1439 of 1516 Old 01-11-2016, 11:03 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Drem:

I replied to your email January 10 later that day, but since you asked about a response today (the 11th), I think your SPAM filter ate it. I know you have received an earlier email, but please check you SPAM filter (I sent it again) and put lumagen.com on your White List to avoid this (hopefully) in the future.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1440 of 1516 Old 01-11-2016, 11:30 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

To All:

A comment on the power supply:

Up until a year ago we used industry standard power supplies (both 5V and 12V) with 50000 hour average life (5.7 years). In Europe with 240 VAC power surges (and it turns out Florida power surges too) could take them out but other than that they have been very reliable.

A little over a year ago we did two things:

1) We stopped using 5 VDC power supplies for current products. This means that every component is isolated from the external power supply by an internal DC-to-DC power supply, which helps the unit tolerate a power surge if a surge gets through the external power supply. In the past, for 5 VDC units, we have had a power surge take out both the power supply and the unit. We believe using an external 12 VDC supply significantly reduces this risk.

2) All current Radiance units use a 12 VDC 5 Amp power supply with a average life rating from the manufacturer of 300000 hours. This equates to 34 years. While I can't be certain none have failed in the past year+ we have been shipping them, I can say I do not know of any failures with this new power supply. So the new ultra high reliability power supply has essentially eliminated power supply failures for the past year+ of sales. Of course at some point one or more will fail but the failure rate is expected to be very low.

We have always had a very low failure rate for Radiance units, including power supplies, other than accidental damage (which includes power surges). The new 12 VDC only supply voltage and 300000 hour MTBF power supplies will improve this even further.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page