DVDO iScan Mini - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 79Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #421 of 448 Old 04-10-2018, 05:19 PM
Member
 
wfdTamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just to report on how I'm going. To recap -

I had:
55" Panasonic VT50 plasma (fullHD)
DVDO iScan Duo
calibrated with X-Rite Eyeone Display 3 with Chromapure 2.

Now got:
65" Panasonic EZ1000 oled (4k)
Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242
calibrated with X-Rite Eyeone Display 3 (the new 2000 nit version) with Chromapure 3.

Calibrating with the old setup was easy and didn't take very long. Gave good results even though the DVDO only calibrates 6 colours. The DVDO is easy to use.

Calibrating with the new setup is very difficult. Chromapure 3 is buggy, crashes, takes forever if you want to do the more complex calibrations (if it will even complete one). They sell the Radiance on being able to do 125, 729 or 4913 points (colours), but what they don't say is it will maybe take all day to do 4913 - I actually don't know as it has never completed one without crashing. I've only been able to complete a 729 one and that takes over an hour.

The Radiance GUI (Graphical User Interface) is awful. The manual is not user friendly - they really aim it at pro calibrators, not end users. It's slow HDMI handshaking and can be troublesome. The results - when I finally got a 729 point SDR calibration done that I am happy with - well, not worth A$7000 odd on top of how good the tv is by itself! The most disappointing AV purchase (given what it costs) I've made. Those things are vastly overpriced. Maybe at half the cost they might be worth the money, even a third (they'd sell a lot more too, so probably come out the same as they do now with the low sales they must do).

I actually had a pretty good result with the DVDO plugged into the OLED (before the Radiance came) and just calibrating that. A hell of a lot easier and cheaper. If you have one just do that. The tv upscales fine from fullHD to 4k.

Haven't got to an HDR calibration yet and I'm guessing that will take many days of struggle. Honestly, the Panasonic EZ1000 OLED on the right picture setting is pretty good out of the box and had I known the bother for the slight improvement I would not have bought the Radiance.

I have heard Chromapure is not the best. Problem is it's affordable for the home user. Lightspace HTL can be had for £262 (US$371) at the moment which some say is better, but doesn't seem that easy to use and even on special is a lot to pay.

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED TV
Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242 (with X-Rite Eyeone & Chromapure)
Oppo 203, Roku, Beyonwiz T4 PVR
Bryston SP3, Emotiva XPA5, Wharfedale Diamond 9 5.1
wfdTamar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #422 of 448 Old 04-10-2018, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a5ian300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdTamar View Post
Just to report on how I'm going. To recap -

I had:
55" Panasonic VT50 plasma (fullHD)
DVDO iScan Duo
calibrated with X-Rite Eyeone Display 3 with Chromapure 2.

Now got:
65" Panasonic EZ1000 oled (4k)
Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242
calibrated with X-Rite Eyeone Display 3 (the new 2000 nit version) with Chromapure 3.

Calibrating with the old setup was easy and didn't take very long. Gave good results even though the DVDO only calibrates 6 colours. The DVDO is easy to use.

Calibrating with the new setup is very difficult. Chromapure 3 is buggy, crashes, takes forever if you want to do the more complex calibrations (if it will even complete one). They sell the Radiance on being able to do 125, 729 or 4913 points (colours), but what they don't say is it will maybe take all day to do 4913 - I actually don't know as it has never completed one without crashing. I've only been able to complete a 729 one and that takes over an hour.

The Radiance GUI (Graphical User Interface) is awful. The manual is not user friendly - they really aim it at pro calibrators, not end users. It's slow HDMI handshaking and can be troublesome. The results - when I finally got a 729 point SDR calibration done that I am happy with - well, not worth A$7000 odd on top of how good the tv is by itself! The most disappointing AV purchase (given what it costs) I've made. Those things are vastly overpriced. Maybe at half the cost they might be worth the money, even a third (they'd sell a lot more too, so probably come out the same as they do now with the low sales they must do).

I actually had a pretty good result with the DVDO plugged into the OLED (before the Radiance came) and just calibrating that. A hell of a lot easier and cheaper. If you have one just do that. The tv upscales fine from fullHD to 4k.

Haven't got to an HDR calibration yet and I'm guessing that will take many days of struggle. Honestly, the Panasonic EZ1000 OLED on the right picture setting is pretty good out of the box and had I known the bother for the slight improvement I would not have bought the Radiance.

I have heard Chromapure is not the best. Problem is it's affordable for the home user. Lightspace HTL can be had for £262 (US$371) at the moment which some say is better, but doesn't seem that easy to use and even on special is a lot to pay.
I have the exact same experience but with the older lumagen xs3d

I also had a VT65 plasma. I always felt I was a beta tester for lumagen with constant beta firmware given the price I paid for it and also the gui was very configurable and difficult to understand at times.

in the end in went back to the dvdo duo.

now I have upgraded to 4k I have sold the duo off as the TV in my case Sony oled a1 has great processing for my satellite feed I still have that setup at 1080p which feeds out to a darbee then the iscan mini and the rest just feeds into my receiver.

mini is great to reduce noise and sharpen but the Darbee is better at sharpening as it introduces less artifacts.

Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
a5ian300zx is offline  
post #423 of 448 Old 04-11-2018, 12:09 AM
Member
 
wfdTamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You could have used the DVDO for calibration or did you never use it for that (does require software and meter too)?

Lumagen needs a good talking to I reckon on GUI, manual writing and pricing. I think they're stuck in a mindset that says 'we're not selling many so we need to charge top dollar'. Priced themselves out of the hands of so many home enthusiasts. That's gotta be a much bigger market than the pro calibrators setting them up for clients who would be their only market now (except for idiots like me willing to pay silly money).

An example of what a pain this is - I tried a 4013 point SDR auto calibration today. It took 6 hours and just before it finished I heard the Windows startup chimes! Argh! I'm not sure if it crashed or Windows just decided to restart then (I wasn't in the room).

I have heard people suggest paying someone to do your calibration, but if it takes this long (and there's another for HDR) there's no way that's going to happen unless you're very wealthy.

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED TV
Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242 (with X-Rite Eyeone & Chromapure)
Oppo 203, Roku, Beyonwiz T4 PVR
Bryston SP3, Emotiva XPA5, Wharfedale Diamond 9 5.1

Last edited by wfdTamar; 04-11-2018 at 02:12 AM.
wfdTamar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #424 of 448 Old 04-11-2018, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a5ian300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdTamar View Post
You could have used the DVDO for calibration or did you never use it for that (does require software and meter too)?

Lumagen needs a good talking to I reckon on GUI, manual writing and pricing. I think they're stuck in a mindset that says 'we're not selling many so we need to charge top dollar'. Priced themselves out of the hands of so many home enthusiasts. That's gotta be a much bigger market than the pro calibrators setting them up for clients who would be their only market now (except for idiots like me willing to pay silly money).

An example of what a pain this is - I tried a 4013 point SDR auto calibration today. It took 6 hours and just before it finished I heard the Windows startup chimes! Argh! I'm not sure if it crashed or Windows just decided to restart then (I wasn't in the room).

I have heard people suggest paying someone to do your calibration, but if it takes this long (and there's another for HDR) there's no way that's going to happen unless you're very wealthy.
I did use the dvdo for calibration and did have a copy of calman v5 and meter at the time but have got rid as I wanted a simply setup with less items in the chain. I had the all the av input into dvdo then out to Darbee and then to dvdo mini and into the display.

for your lumagen just get a proper calibration done (now you have spent that much on it) here in the UK I would have only got one Calibrator to that which would be Gordon who also sells the product and knows them inside out.

Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk
avsprock likes this.

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
a5ian300zx is offline  
post #425 of 448 Old 04-11-2018, 03:26 AM
Member
 
wfdTamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First, I don't want to be paying for someone to be here for two days! Second, I want to DIY! That's why I bought this stuff. Third, where I live I doubt there'd be anyone that knows as much as I do anyway.

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED TV
Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242 (with X-Rite Eyeone & Chromapure)
Oppo 203, Roku, Beyonwiz T4 PVR
Bryston SP3, Emotiva XPA5, Wharfedale Diamond 9 5.1
wfdTamar is offline  
post #426 of 448 Old 04-11-2018, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a5ian300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdTamar View Post
First, I don't want to be paying for someone to be here for two days! Second, I want to DIY! That's why I bought this stuff. Third, where I live I doubt there'd be anyone that knows as much as I do anyway.
it won't take two days the have the professional tools to calibrate it within that day, you spend $7000 dollars on a advance video processor which you want to DIY, have your tried the calman tools?

Not sure where you live but might be worth having a look around your area as I know in the UK Calibrators normally travel across the country.










Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
a5ian300zx is offline  
post #427 of 448 Old 05-01-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,927
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 371
I just received a new iScan Mini and am trying to set it up. I connected it just as instructed and there is no picture showing up on the screen. I believe there is a signal as the "No Signal" message that shows up on the screen disappears when I connect the Mini. All the lights on the Mini seem to be on. I tried pressing the pattern buttons but got nothing. Any ideas?

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #428 of 448 Old 05-02-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,787
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I just received a new iScan Mini and am trying to set it up. I connected it just as instructed and there is no picture showing up on the screen. I believe there is a signal as the "No Signal" message that shows up on the screen disappears when I connect the Mini. All the lights on the Mini seem to be on. I tried pressing the pattern buttons but got nothing. Any ideas?
How far away is your display and is it a TV or projector? Also maybe a dumb question but did you hit power on the remote? I'm asking because all the lights on the mini will be on but it's not really on unless you hit power on the remote?

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #429 of 448 Old 05-02-2018, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,927
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
How far away is your display and is it a TV or projector? Also maybe a dumb question but did you hit power on the remote? I'm asking because all the lights on the mini will be on but it's not really on unless you hit power on the remote?
Thanks for the reply. I did hit the power button and you are right, the lights give no indication. I spent a good deal of time with DVDO tech support today and we got it working by placing it between the Directv C61 4K receiver and a SIIG HDMI 4K splitter that has a set of EDID dip switches in it. Based on our multiple configurations we tried the tech surmised that there is a mismatch in the type of stream, rgb and Ybcrcr, that the Directv and the Vizio put out and expect. So the only way it works is to let the splitter take the Minl stream and match EDID info with the Vizio. Very confusing but at least it's working for now. No matter what we tried it would not work when hooked up between the splitter and the Vizio. Not a setup I like because the other side of the splitter is a new LG OLED and its picture is spectacular unassisted and I don't want the adjustments I put into the Mini for the Vizio yto show up on the OLED.

So after all that gobly gook I guess the Mini is going back to Amazon unless someone here can figure out how to make it work when hooked up between the splitter and the Vizio.

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #430 of 448 Old 12-01-2018, 10:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello

Am I correct in understanding that the iScan Mini is not able to apply any enhancements at all to 480i / 576i signals and will only pass them through completely unaltered?

I know that it cannot deinterlace or scale those signals, but does that mean it can't apply enhancements either?

Thanks
assm0dus is offline  
post #431 of 448 Old 12-02-2018, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a5ian300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by assm0dus View Post
Hello

Am I correct in understanding that the iScan Mini is not able to apply any enhancements at all to 480i / 576i signals and will only pass them through completely unaltered?

I know that it cannot deinterlace or scale those signals, but does that mean it can't apply enhancements either?

Thanks
Just tested the 576i and can confirm it can apple enhancements.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk
assm0dus likes this.

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
a5ian300zx is offline  
post #432 of 448 Old 12-03-2018, 09:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just ordered one of these, should be interesting!
assm0dus is offline  
post #433 of 448 Old 12-10-2018, 01:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Bloody Amazon sent me a Micro instead of a Mini! When I placed the order, I just knew something was going to go wrong because it had "hurry, last one in stock" on the listing. That always means trouble imo. Never buy the last one in stock unless you can actually see it in front of you.

edit: Amazon have refunded me without requiring that I send the item back to them. So full credit to Amazon customer service there.

Quick review of the Micro:

  • doesn't process 576i (blank screen) but does process 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p. (Presumably 480p and 4k too, but had no way of testing)
  • p resolutions will be automatically upscaled to 4k, with no user option to do otherwise.
  • even in the "off" setting without 4k upscaling, there is still noticeable video processing active.
  • the pixel radius of the unsharp mask is too wide for my tastes as it produces quite a large overshoot artefact that spans perhaps 5 pixels even on low contrast pixel transitions such as a transparent grey watermark. This kind of gives some objects and fonts an unexepected drop shadow behind them, for lack of a better word.
  • it does something else to the image besides sharpening, which looks like some kind of S-curve or near-white clipping. Even in the "off" setting, it's quite noticeable. edit: confirmed with AVSHD test pattern. After reducing Contrast by 10 clicks at the TV, some highlight detail is restored (but not all) and there is still something else going on, skin tones have a different hue and luminance to them.
  • when it upscales to 4k, there doesn't appear to be any chroma filtering as edges of red objects are severely aliased. Kind of looks like the chroma is upscaled using "nearest neighbour" or "point" scaling.

Overall I can't say anything good about it really, and it's making me think twice about buying the Mini. I know the Mini will be a lot better, but it still puts doubt in my mind. That French review was very detailed and overall positive of the Mini though, so maybe I will just have to take the plunge.

Last edited by assm0dus; 12-10-2018 at 10:41 PM.
assm0dus is offline  
post #434 of 448 Old 04-01-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,541
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Hi AVSers,
Thought I would add my $.02 to the iscan mini data pool. Previously, I've been posting in the Darbee thread, but thought this might be appropriate/helpful as well.

We have a Sharp Z30K DLP projector on a high cathedral ceiling mount (low earth orbit)...

In our HT set up, we have been using a Darbee for years, waiting for a full featured 4K DLP front projector to hit the market.
After reading several AVS posts about chaining together a Darbee and an iscan mini, a fellow AVSer (Thanks Blee) sent me one to try.
So, I got out the ladder and hooked up the iscan over (the projector). I experimented with several different combinations (mCable/Darbee/iscan) and finally settled on Darbee-->iscan-->Z30K (projector) sequence. I had issues with the scaling feature on the iscan (with DTV, it messed up the HDMI sync). So, I disabled the scaling and played around with the other settings. Like most things, I think it's a trade off... However, until we get to 4K, the added perceived detail/contrast is helpful, especially with HD Sports.
Initially, I was hampered by the line of sight limitations of the iscan mini IR remote control. So, I ordered an IR reciever extension (Monoprice) from Amazon. It plugged into the iscan mini and this allowed me to position the IR "eye" so that it could pick up a signal from the seating area. Over this weekend I further tweaked the settings and increased the Darbee from the level posted earlier.

I arrived at these:

Darbee
55 Hi Def

Iscan Mini [version 1.03]
Scaler - Off
Recall - Low
Mosquito NR - Low
SD Smoothing - Low
Detail - 6
Edge - 2
Ringing Suppression - High
Output Smoothing - Low

Hope it helps someone...

If anyone else has additional Darbee/iscan mini/1080p display experience or thoughts, please follow up.

Thanks
a5ian300zx likes this.
humbland is offline  
post #435 of 448 Old 05-12-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,541
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 307
This thread has been dormant for awhile.
Hoping to get some help. We have been enjoying the Darbee-->iscan mini-->Front projector for a few months now without issues. However, today I lost HDMI sync and could not get it back. I went up the ladder. Started disconnecting devices and found that the issue was the iscan. (The PJ worked fine with just the Darbee in the chain). I cycled the iscan, but still nothing. I then pushed both side buttons and reset it. Sure enough, it started working OK... The mystery is that my settings had disappeared but also, the firmware now shows as 1.01???
Is it possible for the firmware to reset as well?
Any thoughts on the HDMI sync loss?
On the DVDO web site, there are two subsequent firmware updates from the original. Looking online, I could not find any reference to the updates. What do the various firmware "flavors" fix? Is it worth going through the trouble to download and install v1.03?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by humbland; 05-12-2019 at 09:16 PM.
humbland is offline  
post #436 of 448 Old 07-23-2019, 11:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
Hi All,

I have just added the new Darbee 5000s into my chain again so its Darbee - > DVDO Mini -> TV and have to say i am liking the results, if i place the Darbee before the TV the picture looks sharpened/contrast but slightly artificial but having the way I mention above allows it to do the sharpening/slight contrast to bring the picture out but then for the DVD mini with it VRS processing to finish it off for me its the right looking picture with plenty of details and the least amount of noise.

The actual setup for my sources is DVDO Duo -> Darbee - > DVDO Mini -> TV

Just thought I will feedback.

Thanks
Hi there. I also have the mini working alongside the Darbee and I'm very pleased with the results. I was just wondering if I can improve the picture even more by trying to get hold of a DVDO Duo. I did have an mcable added,but that gave an over processed look so returned it. Are you still using the same settings as before for the mini? TIA
chelsMan88 is offline  
post #437 of 448 Old 07-23-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a5ian300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsMan88 View Post
Hi there. I also have the mini working alongside the Darbee and I'm very pleased with the results. I was just wondering if I can improve the picture even more by trying to get hold of a DVDO Duo. I did have an mcable added,but that gave an over processed look so returned it. Are you still using the same settings as before for the mini? TIA
Hi,

I have changed my setup a bit. I sold the dvdo duo and the mcable and kept the mini and Darbee for my 1080p the difference was minimal in regards to picture quality you can add a lumagen which should improve the picture further I have not tested it with mini in the chain but use to own a lumagen and it was good but can be complicated to use.

Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
a5ian300zx is offline  
post #438 of 448 Old 07-23-2019, 03:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
Hi,

I have changed my setup a bit. I sold the dvdo duo and the mcable and kept the mini and Darbee for my 1080p the difference was minimal in regards to picture quality you can add a lumagen which should improve the picture further I have not tested it with mini in the chain but use to own a lumagen and it was good but can be complicated to use.

Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk
Ok thanks for the reply.I think the Lumagen might be a bit out of my price range.
chelsMan88 is offline  
post #439 of 448 Old 07-23-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a5ian300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsMan88 View Post
Ok thanks for the reply.I think the Lumagen might be a bit out of my price range.
Get a used one, definitely not worth the new price. You can get jodl the Lumagen mini for roughly the same as dvdo duo.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
a5ian300zx is offline  
post #440 of 448 Old 07-23-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,541
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
Hi,

I have changed my setup a bit. I sold the dvdo duo and the mcable and kept the mini and Darbee for my 1080p the difference was minimal in regards to picture quality you can add a lumagen which should improve the picture further I have not tested it with mini in the chain but use to own a lumagen and it was good but can be complicated to use.

Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk
Nice to see something happening on this thread.
+1 on the Darbee/mini combo (for 1080p). I played around with various combinations and different displays. On our Sharp Z30K front projector, the Darbee/mini gave the best combination of sharpeing and contrast boost (with minimal HDMI sync issues). However on our Panasonic plasma, the Darbee by itself seems like the "go to". The plasma display is already very sharp. The iscan did not seem to add much.
Still waiting (since 2012) for a 4K DLP projector with powered lens controls...
a5ian300zx likes this.
humbland is offline  
post #441 of 448 Old 07-24-2019, 01:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a5ian300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Nice to see something happening on this thread.

+1 on the Darbee/mini combo (for 1080p). I played around with various combinations and different displays. On our Sharp Z30K front projector, the Darbee/mini gave the best combination of sharpeing and contrast boost (with minimal HDMI sync issues). However on our Panasonic plasma, the Darbee by itself seems like the "go to". The plasma display is already very sharp. The iscan did not seem to add much.

Still waiting (since 2012) for a 4K DLP projector with powered lens controls...
I find I benefited from both on my old panasonic plasma and now on my Sony oled.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
a5ian300zx is offline  
post #442 of 448 Old 07-24-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,541
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
I find I benefited from both on my old panasonic plasma and now on my Sony oled.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk
I could see a difference with both on the plasma. It's just that it had more visual impact on the FP. The Darbee, by itself, added to the plasma picture in a pleasing way. After that, adding more devices (mini) seemed to be "guilding the lilly".
Everyone's set up is different. It's sort of a "season to taste" situation.
Experimentation is the key. When I had the mCable in the chain, I thought it made a positive contribution. I just got tired of the HDMI sync issues. YRMV...
humbland is offline  
post #443 of 448 Old 07-24-2019, 11:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
Get a used one, definitely not worth the new price. You can get jodl the Lumagen mini for roughly the same as dvdo duo.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk
Oh right. I'll definitely look into that. Cheers.
chelsMan88 is offline  
post #444 of 448 Old 07-25-2019, 01:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
Get a used one, definitely not worth the new price. You can get jodl the Lumagen mini for roughly the same as dvdo duo.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk
Hi. I managed to track down a Lumagen 3D mini on ebay, but haven't pulled the trigger yet as I'm a bit sceptical as to how it would perform alongside the Darbee and i-scan mini. Maybe somebody on the forum has tried this combination with some success?
chelsMan88 is offline  
post #445 of 448 Old 07-25-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a5ian300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsMan88 View Post
Hi. I managed to track down a Lumagen 3D mini on ebay, but haven't pulled the trigger yet as I'm a bit sceptical as to how it would perform alongside the Darbee and i-scan mini. Maybe somebody on the forum has tried this combination with some success?
If you can track down the slight newer versions of the Lumagen they have the Darbee built in.

I used my lumagen in combo with Darbee and mini when I had my plasma. I changed to duo as it was more simple to use.

Once it is calibrated it will show better results but also has tonnes of features but the question is will you use them?

Thanks



Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
a5ian300zx is offline  
post #446 of 448 Old 07-25-2019, 03:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
If you can track down the slight newer versions of the Lumagen they have the Darbee built in.

I used my lumagen in combo with Darbee and mini when I had my plasma. I changed to duo as it was more simple to use.

Once it is calibrated it will show better results but also has tonnes of features but the question is will you use them?

Thanks



Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk
I've been thinking, maybe I should hold fire on the Lumagen and just stick with the Darbee and i-scan mini for now. the TV I have is the Sony 75XD9405 which I have had professionally calibrated. Adding a third device might be over egging it a bit.Might be best served putting the money towards a new Sony Oled TV with the so called 'ultimate' processing chip. Thank you for all your help.
chelsMan88 is offline  
post #447 of 448 Old 08-26-2019, 11:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello to everyone at AVS Forum.

I've had the Iscan Mini for about 2 weeks and wanted to share my impression so far.
To start with, my video system is very simple, consisting of a base model Sony Blu ray player(model number?) and the Samsung KU6300 65". For an inexpensive system, I find the performance quite satisfactory. I have the Sony BDP outputting 1080p from DVD and Bluray sources. The Samsung upscales everything to 4k.
My original plan with the Iscan Mini was to feed it native resolution from the BDP and use the SD processing to improve DVD images. Unfortunately I learned right away that the low buck Sony's upscaling of SD is far better than that of the Mini.
No amount of SD processing could make up for it. I also realised that SD noise reduction has no effect on the blotchy background noise present especially in older DVDs, more so in dark scenes.

So, I gave up pretty quickly on feeding native res to the Mini and instead focused on applying it's HD processing to both upscaled SD and true HD from the Sony. The effect of detail enhancement on upscaled SD images is a mixed bag. The increased detail and clarity in faces and forground scenery is addicting. The downside is an increase in the same background noise that SD noise reduction doesn't touch. What I find, and maybe this is just me settling, is that I let the noise go to have the increased detail. I've been playing with this some but find myself pushing the detail and edge enhancement close to max on decent SD transfers where the noise is less of an issue. They almost look HD. My favorite DVDs are slowly being replaced with Bluray anyway so if it really bugs me, it will get fixed. On the movies that I like enough to keep in rotation but not enough to replace with Bluray, the processing makes them a little easier to watch.

On native HD, the Mini can really work magic. The background noise that plagues SD is a non issue. The only limiting factor is how much detail is too much. Last night, watching The Forest with Natalie Dormer, there was a street scene that looked almost 3D with detail and edge enhancement at 8. At the same time though, faces were too detailed. I brought detail enhancement down to 5, but can't say that's where I'll leave it. In any case, the Mini works very well with HD material. How much you let it process the image is up to your own taste I suppose. For me it's a learning process.

In summary, after 2 weeks, the Mini is still connected and it looks like it will remain so. I can't say I'm thrilled with it. If it worked better on SD, I might be. I will say that once the initial disappointment passed and i became more aware of its strength and its limitations, I have enjoyed it more. Would I recommend it? Can't say yet. I am still considering the Darbee to pair with the Mini. We'll see.
Movieslug is offline  
post #448 of 448 Old 10-20-2019, 03:29 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thought I'd update my first post, now that I've been using the Iscan Mini for a while. First off, I never watch a DVD or Blu ray without it. I have tried once just to see the difference, turning the enhancement off while viewing a DVD. The image looked very flat and blurry without the enhancement.

After playing around with the the settings, I settled on HD Detail and Edge Enhancement at 10 for DVD. There has been one time on a poorer quality transfer where I found 8 on both easier to watch. There appears to be some lag in the processing that I notice more with lesser quality transfers. Its visible on scene changes and worst during lots of motion. It can be distracting. Reducing the enhancement from 10 to 8 makes it less noticeable.

For a 1080p, I have detail enhancement at 5 and edge enhancement at 8. Ringing is at high for SD and HD. Color is at +10. Contrast is +20. I also adjust sharpness on the Samsung KU6300 65" to 50 for US and 80 for SD. Contrast on the panel is kept at 95.

SD enhancement on the Iscan isn't used since I don't use SD input. As I said before. The DVDO upscaling, at least on the Mini is not very good. The cheap Sony BDPS6700 blows it away.

The Iscan Mini's saving grace is it's enhancements. They really do make images look much better. So much so that I cant see myself ever watching movies without it.

Still haven't got the Darbee. I've been busy on other things. Expanding my Bluray collection and building onto my surround sound system. I will probably be getting the Darblet very soon though.
Movieslug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Video Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off