Darbee DVP-5100CIE Image-Enhancement Processor at CEDIA 2014 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #61 of 143 Old 04-12-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
We need a HDMi adaptor that you connect first to your component which is guaranteed to make a handshake every time. Now that would be revolutionary.

4K HDR10- ignore the “rules” and trust your eyes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 143 Old 04-12-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 7738 Post(s)
Liked: 7023
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
We need a HDMi adaptor that you connect first to your component which is guaranteed to make a handshake every time. Now that would be revolutionary.
I'd buy that for a dollar!
post #63 of 143 Old 04-17-2015, 03:59 AM

Mine has arrived and is installed. My handshaking issues have been solved to my satisfaction, so the 5100CIE was a worthwhile investment for me.

It seems that in the UK we are not getting the Gold Signature edition, which is a shame as that would have been nice for the first buyers of the unit. No matter.

All in all I am very pleased with the unit - and it is good to know that if I ever need a really long HDMI cable to my PJ that the 5100CIE will do the job.
markrubin and Kelvin1965S like this.

Last edited by kbarnes701; 04-17-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 143 Old 04-18-2015, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Darbee wrote back about the rear IR port: they said it works with this:
http://infrared-resources.com/Infrar...B002JSDHCY.htm

I really don't understand what custom installer would use this: but I ordered one to try it

for now an emitter stuck on the front panel is fine...

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #65 of 143 Old 04-18-2015, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I really don't understand what custom installer would use this: but I ordered one to try it

I'd be interested in how that works out, Mark. I tried the exact same component, IIRC, with the Darblett and it wouldn’t work. Might be different of course for the 5100. I don't need an extender with the 5100 as my IR blaster can see the front of the unit, but when the Darblett was hidden away, it couldn't, hence needing some other form of control.
post #66 of 143 Old 04-18-2015, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I'd be interested in how that works out, Mark. I tried the exact same component, IIRC, with the Darblett and it wouldn’t work. Might be different of course for the 5100. I don't need an extender with the 5100 as my IR blaster can see the front of the unit, but when the Darblett was hidden away, it couldn't, hence needing some other form of control.
Are most people using darbee for larger screens? I am thinking about buying one, but don't know if I will see much of a difference on a 55" Panasonic. I have read comments about it really having an impact on large screens.
Rick

RickP.
post #67 of 143 Old 04-18-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPas View Post
Are most people using darbee for larger screens? I am thinking about buying one, but don't know if I will see much of a difference on a 55" Panasonic. I have read comments about it really having an impact on large screens.
Rick
The bigger the screen the more benefit you will see. A lot of people here in the UK use them with TVs though and mostly they make favorable comments. I think you will see the difference regardless of screen size personally - it is quite a difference. Unless you have a good reason to use the 5100CIE version, the Darblett is quite a lot cheaper and has exactly the same video processing engine. I use mine with a PJ and large-ish screen and I wouldn't go back to being without it TBH.
post #68 of 143 Old 04-19-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

I ordered this Monoprice IR receiver for $6.95, and it works well with my 5100: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-5-Fe...cable+receiver

John
post #69 of 143 Old 04-19-2015, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post
I ordered this Monoprice IR receiver for $6.95, and it works well with my 5100: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-5-Fe...cable+receiver

Mark

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
LG C9 OLED owner

post #70 of 143 Old 04-21-2015, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Yes, call me crazy but I am still planning to Review one soon. Maybe having all sources going into it at the end of the rack HDMIi chain will prove beneficial. Either way it is a cool looking device and I am looking forward to it.

post #71 of 143 Old 04-21-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Yes, call me crazy but I am still planning to Review one soon. Maybe having all sources going into it at the end of the rack HDMIi chain will prove beneficial. Either way it is a cool looking device and I am looking forward to it.

And I am looking forward to your review!
joerod likes this.
post #72 of 143 Old 04-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Hey Everyone,

Anyone else having any issues with their Darbee DVP 5100CIE signature edition?

ISSUE 1:
I received it last week and hooked it up last night...but I don't get any video, only audio. The HDMI, Process & Power LEDs are all lit up on the front...no light on A or B (not sure what those are and didn't see a description in the manual that came with it).

I'm using directional HDMI cables (Monster ISF 2000HD). 5' HDMI cable from Sony STR-DN1040 AVR output to Darbee DVP 5100CIE input. 35' HDMI cable from Darbee DVP 5100CIE output to JVC DLA-X700R projector input. I tried a different HDMI cable from the AVR to the Darbee, but got the same results.

Any idea what the issue could be here? This is the only thing that has changed in my chain recently. As soon as I remove the Darbee from the chain everything works fine. Maybe I got a bad unit, considering my second issue.

ISSUE 2:
The plastic on the front of my DVP 5100CIE is scratched/scuffed up pretty bad. The entire device was covered in plastic, but there was no protective plastic film covering the front.

I have reached out to Tom Faust @ Darbee about these issues, but was hoping someone else could chime in.

UPDATE:
Spoke to Tom. He sent me a prepaid return label for my current device and is sending me out a new device. Excellent customer service!

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; 04-21-2015 at 09:51 PM.
post #73 of 143 Old 04-22-2015, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
ISSUE 1:
I received it last week and hooked it up last night...but I don't get any video, only audio. The HDMI, Process & Power LEDs are all lit up on the front...no light on A or B (not sure what those are and didn't see a description in the manual that came with it).

I'm using directional HDMI cables (Monster ISF 2000HD). 5' HDMI cable from Sony STR-DN1040 AVR output to Darbee DVP 5100CIE input. 35' HDMI cable from Darbee DVP 5100CIE output to JVC DLA-X700R projector input. I tried a different HDMI cable from the AVR to the Darbee, but got the same results.

Any idea what the issue could be here? This is the only thing that has changed in my chain recently. As soon as I remove the Darbee from the chain everything works fine. Maybe I got a bad unit, considering my second issue.
Forgive me for a fairly facile proposition, but just to eliminate it - you do have the HDMI cables at the Darbee end plugged into the correct HDMI ports? They are, of course, identical and side by side and the legend on them is small, so it's just possible you have them reversed. Just a thought. If it isn’t the case then it would seem you have a faulty unit - the CIE is just about the easiest unit in the AV world to hook up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
ISSUE 2:
The plastic on the front of my DVP 5100CIE is scratched/scuffed up pretty bad. The entire device was covered in plastic, but there was no protective plastic film covering the front.
Mine is less than perfect too. At first I thought that the unit had plastic film on the front and looked for a way to peel it off. It doesn't sound as bad as yours and I polished it with a cloth for a little while and it removed most of the scuffs. I too considered returning it but in the rack I can't see any scuffs now so I left it. Fact is though, for what is a fairly expensive unit, it should at least have a totally perfect appearance, I agree.
post #74 of 143 Old 04-22-2015, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Mine has arrived and is installed. My handshaking issues have been solved to my satisfaction, so the 5100CIE was a worthwhile investment for me.

It seems that in the UK we are not getting the Gold Signature edition, which is a shame as that would have been nice for the first buyers of the unit. No matter.

All in all I am very pleased with the unit - and it is good to know that if I ever need a really long HDMI cable to my PJ that the 5100CIE will do the job.
First time I've seen a front picture of your rack Keith and very neat it looks too. Do the 1U vented panels have fans in or are they just passive?

FWIW I sold my DVP5000 a while ago as I found I wasn't using it with my X500 as the MPC settings seemed to do what I wanted. I ended up getting an upgrade from my Lumagen Mini3D to a (Darbee equipped) 2041 and now I find that using it at 30% HD seems to work better than the same setting on my old '5000 unit. I wonder if Darbee have changed anything since the older '5000 and perhaps also on this CIE model?

I still only use it on my projector as I can't tell if it is on or off when using it through my TV though...

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet". William Shakespeare 1615
post #75 of 143 Old 04-22-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post
First time I've seen a front picture of your rack Keith and very neat it looks too. Do the 1U vented panels have fans in or are they just passive?
Thanks. Yes, the vented panels have fans behind them - one to cool the AVR and the other in an attempt to cool that amp which sits on top of three other amps In fact, the amps don't get all that hot to be worrying TBH. But the fans are reassuring - they come on and off when the temperature reaches a certain level.

Quote:
FWIW I sold my DVP5000 a while ago as I found I wasn't using it with my X500 as the MPC settings seemed to do what I wanted. I ended up getting an upgrade from my Lumagen Mini3D to a (Darbee equipped) 2041 and now I find that using it at 30% HD seems to work better than the same setting on my old '5000 unit. I wonder if Darbee have changed anything since the older '5000 and perhaps also on this CIE model?
I don't see any difference here with the 5100 on 50% HD - the same setting I used before. There are so many variables though with PJ settings, different content on disc and so on.

Quote:
I still only use it on my projector as I can't tell if it is on or off when using it through my TV though...
I had one for my 65 inch plasma TV and sold it - I could see the effect but didn't like it. Then when I got the PJ I bought another and did like it. Go figure! Maybe it just didn’t work with my TV and the settings I was using.
Kelvin1965S likes this.
post #76 of 143 Old 04-22-2015, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Will Darbee 5100 really improve my Picture

Hi:
At the present we are using a Marantz projector VP-15S1 which has provided us with eight years of great service.

Our A/V receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH.

Our cable set top box is a Motorola DCX3400.

Our screen is a 110” Diagonal - Stewart FireHawk G3 16x9 (1.78)
Our current home theater projector system is using the HDMI cables listed below which I think are HDMI 1.3b certified.

We installed these 8 years ago so they are now a discontinued item.

These HDMI cables are in-wall and in-ceiling so to upgrade the cables would require all the drywall to be removed with is not easily done.

http://www.atlona.com/12M-40FT-ATLONA-FLAT-HDMI-CABLE-BLACK-COLOR.html

Our current set up provides us with a great picture when we are watching HD content which is the majority of the time. Our content is provide through the Motorola cable set top box that is 1080P capable as well as our projector. Only Blu-Ray and some movies are 1080P as most content is either 720p or 1080i depending on the broadcast network.

However you always would like a better image if possible, two years ago I saw a product that Kordz and Phase HD were providing it was the Neo S3. which would upgrade our existing inwall HDMI cable to be able to carry a 2160p signal.

They also claimed it would improve my current 720p, 1080i and 1080p signals.

I did not purchase the Neo S3 at that time.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/286-latest-industry-news/1492537-kordz-cedia-2013-a.html

We are now considering adding your DVP 5100 CIE unit into our set up. I would insert it after our existing A/V receiver and before our projector.

I noticed that Darbeeseems to be working with Phase HD with the DVP 5100 CIE unit, does the DVP 5100 CIE have similar technology that the Neo S3 has or would the Neo S3 still be considered a separate item?

I guess I would like some feed back on if I will see a difference in PQ with the Darbee 5100 CIE... our current set provides a really good picture but there is always room for improvement.

Really appreciate it if some who is using the 5100 with a Front projector could comment.

Regards.
post #77 of 143 Old 04-22-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/286-latest-industry-news/1492537-kordz-cedia-2013-a.html

We are now considering adding your DVP 5100 CIE unit into our set up. I would insert it after our existing A/V receiver and before our projector.

I noticed that Darbeeseems to be working with Phase HD with the DVP 5100 CIE unit, does the DVP 5100 CIE have similar technology that the Neo S3 has or would the Neo S3 still be considered a separate item?

I guess I would like some feed back on if I will see a difference in PQ with the Darbee 5100 CIE... our current set provides a really good picture but there is always room for improvement.

Really appreciate it if some who is using the 5100 with a Front projector could comment.

Regards.
That link doesn’t go anywhere - if you repost it I will take a look and tell you if I think the Phase HD tech is the same in both units.

As for improving your PQ - yes, no doubt at all in my mind.

EDIt: I googled it. Looks to me like it is the same PhaseHD tech as is in the 5100CIE. In fact, given that the 5100CIE is newer than that Kordz unit I'd guess that the PhaseHD in the 5100CIE is more up to date if anything. Darbee have pretty good customer support, so firing off a quick email to them would tell you if my guess is correct or not.

Last edited by kbarnes701; 04-22-2015 at 11:53 AM.
post #78 of 143 Old 04-22-2015, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Link below for Neo 3

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/286-la...ia-2013-a.html

Hopefully it works.

I have emailed Darbee and asked them.

Also reassuring to hear that I would see improvement in picture quality in your opinion, I would thin the larger the screen the more benefits your would see.

The Neo 3 had a transmitter and receiver, I suspect the transmitter is built into the 5100 and in order to get the fully benefit I would need to add the receiver at the projector.

I will wait to hear from Darbee or perhaps forward my email I sent Darbee to Phase HD.

Regards.
post #79 of 143 Old 04-22-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Link below for Neo 3

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/286-la...ia-2013-a.html

Hopefully it works.
It seems so.

Quote:
I have emailed Darbee and asked them.
Please share their reply with us!

Quote:
Also reassuring to hear that I would see improvement in picture quality in your opinion, I would thin the larger the screen the more benefits your would see.
Yes, that is true. Also you have an older PJ so you may benefit even more than someone with a brand new unit. I would be very surprised if you didn't see a good improvement in perceived sharpness and detail retrieval.

Quote:
The Neo 3 had a transmitter and receiver, I suspect the transmitter is built into the 5100 and in order to get the fully benefit I would need to add the receiver at the projector.
I believe so but best to double check with Darbee. Also note this from the spec:

Input cable length: 30 AWG 20 m / 35 m 26 AWG
Output Cable Length: 30 AWG 15 m / 25 m 26 AWG

It seems you are good to go with cables up to 25m (75ft) between the unit and the PJ.

Quote:
I will wait to hear from Darbee or perhaps forward my email I sent Darbee to Phase HD.
Cool

Regards.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by kbarnes701; 04-22-2015 at 01:04 PM.
post #80 of 143 Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Forgive me for a fairly facile proposition, but just to eliminate it - you do have the HDMI cables at the Darbee end plugged into the correct HDMI ports? They are, of course, identical and side by side and the legend on them is small, so it's just possible you have them reversed. Just a thought. If it isn’t the case then it would seem you have a faulty unit - the CIE is just about the easiest unit in the AV world to hook up.
Yes. HDMI OUT from the AVR going to HDMI IN on the Darbee, and HDMI OUT from the Darbee going to HDMI IN on the PJ. I get audio but no video, so it has to be connected properly.

Quote:
Mine is less than perfect too. At first I thought that the unit had plastic film on the front and looked for a way to peel it off. It doesn't sound as bad as yours and I polished it with a cloth for a little while and it removed most of the scuffs. I too considered returning it but in the rack I can't see any scuffs now so I left it. Fact is though, for what is a fairly expensive unit, it should at least have a totally perfect appearance, I agree.
Well, I took pictures of mine and forwarded them to Darbee support. It is totally unacceptable as this is not a cheap product and should arrive in immaculate condition. When it comes time to upgrade everything to 4K, I will need to sell it. And I'm not selling someone a scratched up Signature Edition Darbee. But it's all good, they sent me a return shipping label yesterday and I sent it back today. They will be shipping me a new unit...that hopefully works and has no scratches.
kbarnes701 likes this.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #81 of 143 Old 04-22-2015, 01:24 PM

Extremely thorough review of the 5100CIE (in French).

If you use Google Chrome as your browser it will do an automatic and passable translation into English (moi, je parle français assez bien). If you don't use Chrome, why not?

(Thanks to my friend Hugo S for finding this review originally).
Mr. Hatcher likes this.
post #82 of 143 Old 04-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

I also sent this message to Tom Faust @ Darbee.

QUESTION: For phaseHD to work; does it have to be compatible end-to-end? So would my AVR and Projector also need to support the standard in order for it to work?

I went to phaseHD's website and saw that they offered some adopters through Kordz (Neo-S3), but those are expensive. Hopefully I don't need them...

Once I get a response, I'll update this post. I sure hope I don't need to purchase another piece of equipment just to make phaseHD work. That should all be included if so (Tx/Rx).

ANSWER: No, the 5100 should just be able to plug and play while incorporating their tech. They do offer different dongles and options but those are alternate add-ons and separate products.
kbarnes701 likes this.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; 04-22-2015 at 04:29 PM.
post #83 of 143 Old 04-22-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Curious how this unit compares to the DVDO EDGE? Anyone ever make comparisons? Or are they apples to oranges?

post #84 of 143 Old 04-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post
Curious how this unit compares to the DVDO EDGE? Anyone ever make comparisons? Or are they apples to oranges?
This would probably be a question to email Darbee Support about. Though I would think it would be the same, with the exclusion of phaseHD (which you may or may not even need).

UPDATE: Scratch that, I was thinking of the Lumagen that has Darbee incorporated. DVDO does not incorporate Darbee.

Here's a good comparison for you:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/video...all-pages.html

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT

Last edited by Mr. Hatcher; 04-22-2015 at 04:42 PM.
post #85 of 143 Old 04-22-2015, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post
Actually they're completely different products. One is a video scaler that allows you to choose resolutions, has HDMI inputs, one out for both video and audio and one extra hdmi out just for audio. The Edge has image adjustments and let's you label each input. Now the 5100 is a video enhancer. It is something that could go after a Receiver or Edge video processor. It will add the sprinkles on top! Once you start using one it is hard to go back to an image without!

post #86 of 143 Old 04-23-2015, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

so I got the IR extender recommended by Darbee and it does not work either

corresponded with Tom Faust of Darbee and he asked I send the unit back to them for repair (asked for advance replacement: no go)

not sure I want to part with the unit though...

LG C9 OLED owner

post #87 of 143 Old 04-23-2015, 04:11 AM

Quote:
so I got the IR extender recommended by Darbee and it does not work either

corresponded with Tom Faust of Darbee and he asked I send the unit back to them for repair (asked for advance replacement: no go)

not sure I want to part with the unit though...
Mark - is it my imagination or didn’t someone recently report an IR extender that does work?
post #88 of 143 Old 04-23-2015, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Mark - is it my imagination or didn’t someone recently report an IR extender that does work?
yes I saw that report: so I know it should work

it is possible that applying a standard IR signal from a control processor caused damage to the Darbee: I hope they add warnings about this: to me a Custom Installer Edition unit should be able to accept a custom installer's IR port signal (never seen a custom installer use an IR extender!)

shame too because the rear IR port was the one selling feature for me over the original Darblet as I wanted to make a clean rack install

LG C9 OLED owner

Last edited by markrubin; 04-23-2015 at 04:39 AM.
post #89 of 143 Old 04-23-2015, 04:44 AM

Quote:
yes I saw that report: so I know it should work

it is possible that applying a standard IR signal from a control processor caused damage to the Darbee: I hope they add warnings about this: to me a Custom Installer Edition unit should be able to accept a custom installer's IR port signal (never seen a custom installer use an IR extender!)

shame too because the rear IR port was the one selling feature for me over the original Darblet as I wanted to make a clean rack install
Agreed. For the money the unit costs, one would expect everything to function 100%. And when a unit is labelled "Custom Installer Edition", well, one would hope that it would work for the way that custom installers normally operate, and with the tools they normally use.

There are also reported issues with the appearance of the front panel. I wonder if Darbee have rushed it out (where 'rush' is a relative term of course) after all the delays? I hope not.
post #90 of 143 Old 04-23-2015, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Just to be clear about the Monoprice IR Receiver that I reported on earlier in this thread, it worked when I sent it an IR signal from the Darbee IR remote. I did this as a test prior to installing the 5100 in my Mid-Atlantic rack. When I install the 5100 in the rack this afternoon, I plan on placing an IR emitter on the Monoprice IR receiver out of sight behind the 5100. I have been using the IR emitter on my Darbee 5000 which I am replacing with the 5100.

I will report back how everything works after doing the installation.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
cedia 2014

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page