New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3048Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3631 of 4802 Old 12-03-2018, 09:20 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanop View Post
Hello Jim,

glad having an answer directly from you!
No the firmware is out of date because with a recent one I had problems with HDR movies having random blue pixels around the images and so I downgraded the firmware 'til the blue pixel problems vanished. I'll try the latest one published in your website some days ago and I'll let you know.
Thank you, have a nice Holiday.
We just posted a new release (110918) which has some auto-aspect fixes that hopefully will fix your 4:3 auto-aspect bug.

This release also has a faster FPGA load and so should not suffer from the timing issues you saw in a recent release. Hopefully anyway. The timing tools for our FPGA are not perfect and it is possible for them to report all is well while there still is an issue with a small fraction of FPGAs.
Mike_WI and stefanop like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
jrp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3632 of 4802 Old 12-03-2018, 09:30 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Steve Bruzonsky:

Make sure you have not programmed the Radiance Pro to report "HDCP 1.X" rather than "HDCP 2.2" capability. If you have the Pro report HDCP 1.X all common 4k sources, including the BOLT, would limit their output to 1080p. You can insure all inputs report HDCP 2.2 with MENU 0829 and a Save.

Also make sure you have not programmed the Pro EDID to report only up to 1080p in the Input Options HDMI setup menu.
giomania and stefanop like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
jrp is offline  
post #3633 of 4802 Old 12-04-2018, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,385
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2822 Post(s)
Liked: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
We just posted a new release (110918) which has some auto-aspect fixes that hopefully will fix your 4:3 auto-aspect bug.

This release also has a faster FPGA load and so should not suffer from the timing issues you saw in a recent release. Hopefully anyway. The timing tools for our FPGA are not perfect and it is possible for them to report all is well while there still is an issue with a small fraction of FPGAs.
Just out of interest Jim, how are you getting on with the frame-by-frame intensity mapping? Do you still envisage a 2018 Q4 initial release for this, as mentioned previously?
KarlKlammer and Eventidal like this.
Wookii is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3634 of 4802 Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
We just posted a new release (110918) which has some auto-aspect fixes that hopefully will fix your 4:3 auto-aspect bug.

This release also has a faster FPGA load and so should not suffer from the timing issues you saw in a recent release. Hopefully anyway. The timing tools for our FPGA are not perfect and it is possible for them to report all is well while there still is an issue with a small fraction of FPGAs.
Very good! Now 4:3 works perfectly. It starts stretched in a 1.78 raster and after a couple of seconds...voilà...Radiance switches to 4:3. Well done!!!
It suddenly remain the problems with 1.85 movies but I'll send you an email with the snapshots of the images on the screen so you can better see what happens.
Thank you Jim great work
stefanop is offline  
post #3635 of 4802 Old 12-04-2018, 07:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Just out of interest Jim, how are you getting on with the frame-by-frame intensity mapping? Do you still envisage a 2018 Q4 initial release for this, as mentioned previously?
This would be an awesome x-mas gift for us Pro owners!!
Eventidal is offline  
post #3636 of 4802 Old 12-04-2018, 08:54 AM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Just out of interest Jim, how are you getting on with the frame-by-frame intensity mapping? Do you still envisage a 2018 Q4 initial release for this, as mentioned previously?
We are making progress on dynamic tone mapping.

The algorithm I did blends the "<=2500 nit" parameter set with the ">2500 nit" parameter set based on the calculated data from the source material.

Pat is working how to calculate the best blend factor for each scene. It is rather difficult.

We may release this in stages:
1) Use the low-nit and high-nit blend function with the reported source MaxCLL. This will improve the current tone mapping since each movie will have tone map tailored for its reported MaxCLL
2) Add in something for AppleTV 4K which converts Dolby Vision titles to HDR10, and then changes the reported MaxCLL every 30 seconds with absolutely no intelligence about changing at appropriate times. As a side note what Apple should fix this so the AppleTV 4k changes the HDR10 Metadata on a frame basis to match the DV frame MaxCLL equivalent data. Then the data would make sense.
3) Initial dynamic tone mapping release
4) on-going tuning since this is a hard nut to crack.

I am hoping the first stage would be in the next week or two.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
jrp is offline  
post #3637 of 4802 Old 12-04-2018, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,443
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Arrow FW Beta 111018

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php...ncepro_updates

Beta 111018
Fix for 1.85 image based auto aspect incorrectly selecting wrong aspect (anamorphic 1.85).
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Mike_WI is offline  
post #3638 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 03:32 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 2,760
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
2) Add in something for AppleTV 4K which converts Dolby Vision titles to HDR10, and then changes the reported MaxCLL every 30 seconds with absolutely no intelligence about changing at appropriate times. As a side note what Apple should fix this so the AppleTV 4k changes the HDR10 Metadata on a frame basis to match the DV frame MaxCLL equivalent data. Then the data would make sense.
Re: this; it is hard to see what makes most sense; as it is just defective output really. From my point of view what would appear to be most logical for dealing with bad sources would be would be to allow complete disregard of the incoming metadata, replacing it (if it is still somehow used) with some user configurable data. It would be nice to be able to save this and have it permanent for a given input. It might also be nice to be able to carry on using the temporary override (not sure if this could make it into the HDR menu you can access using the cursors during HDR playback, instead of using the menu xxxx short code for this.

I'd probably prefer the above to the current workaround which I'm still a little unsure of. In discussions with Patrick I think it is possible (though I haven't tried to find an example) that the current workaround could end up ignoring bona-fide metadata updates from a well mannered source (eg if you had a source which really did need to switch metadata from one title to another, and it didn't change refresh or resolution in the intervening time - I think that would trip up the current workaround and swallow the metadata change).
bobof is online now  
post #3639 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 06:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php...ncepro_updates

Beta 111018
Fix for 1.85 image based auto aspect incorrectly selecting wrong aspect (anamorphic 1.85).
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware
Thank you Mike_WI,
Auto Aspect now works perfectly with every ratio in the right way. Well done!!!


I'd like to give you an input:
With AutoAspect set to HDMI+Image is it possible having in the future a customizable time buffer before triggering the recognized ratio? This would avoid Radiance bouncing between formats every time a little "imperfection" appears on the screen. Example: I'm watching John Wick (2.40:1 movie) in a 2.40:1 projection screen. If I'd want to change language or subtitles, I press LANG or SUB buttons on Oppo RC and on screen appears a partially visible selection tools (partially visible because of the format of my screen). Radiance recognizes graphichs outside the current format and triggers 1.78. As soon as language selection tools disappears, Radiance recognizes a 2.40:1 format and triggers 2.40. Sometime in very dark sequences Radiance triggers 2.35 and after a while it returns to 2.40. This is very annoying.
If you could set a time buffer of 10, 20 or 30 seconds, while watching a movie when Radiance detects the necessity of triggering a new format,waits 10, 20 or 30 seconds and if the condition still persists then it triggers the new format otherway it stays in the current format and reset the counter.
stefanop is offline  
post #3640 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,443
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanop View Post
Thank you Mike_WI,
Auto Aspect now works perfectly with every ratio in the right way. Well done!!!


I'd like to give you an input:
With AutoAspect set to HDMI+Image is it possible having in the future a customizable time buffer before triggering the recognized ratio? This would avoid Radiance bouncing between formats every time a little "imperfection" appears on the screen. Example: I'm watching John Wick (2.40:1 movie) in a 2.40:1 projection screen. If I'd want to change language or subtitles, I press LANG or SUB buttons on Oppo RC and on screen appears a partially visible selection tools (partially visible because of the format of my screen). Radiance recognizes graphichs outside the current format and triggers 1.78. As soon as language selection tools disappears, Radiance recognizes a 2.40:1 format and triggers 2.40. Sometime in very dark sequences Radiance triggers 2.35 and after a while it returns to 2.40. This is very annoying.
If you could set a time buffer of 10, 20 or 30 seconds, while watching a movie when Radiance detects the necessity of triggering a new format,waits 10, 20 or 30 seconds and if the condition still persists then it triggers the new format otherway it stays in the current format and reset the counter.
Just FYI that I'm just posting the publicly available FW updates so everyone (including myself) sees them and we are talking about the same things.
I don't work for Lumagen or know anything more than other forum users.
giomania, SJHT, Eventidal and 1 others like this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Mike_WI is offline  
post #3641 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,385
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2822 Post(s)
Liked: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
Just FYI that I'm just posting the publicly available FW updates so everyone (including myself) sees them and we are talking about the same things.
I don't work for Lumagen or know anything more than other forum users.
. . . and please continue to do so Mike, it is appreciated and is the main way I find out about a newly released FW.
Mike_WI, Eventidal and dinamigym like this.
Wookii is offline  
post #3642 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 07:49 AM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanop View Post
With AutoAspect set to HDMI+Image is it possible having in the future a customizable time buffer before triggering the recognized ratio? This would avoid Radiance bouncing between formats every time a little "imperfection" appears on the screen. Example: I'm watching John Wick (2.40:1 movie) in a 2.40:1 projection screen. If I'd want to change language or subtitles, I press LANG or SUB buttons on Oppo RC and on screen appears a partially visible selection tools (partially visible because of the format of my screen). Radiance recognizes graphics outside the current format and triggers 1.78. As soon as language selection tools disappears, Radiance recognizes a 2.40:1 format and triggers 2.40. Sometime in very dark sequences Radiance triggers 2.35 and after a while it returns to 2.40. This is very annoying.
If you could set a time buffer of 10, 20 or 30 seconds, while watching a movie when Radiance detects the necessity of triggering a new format,waits 10, 20 or 30 seconds and if the condition still persists then it triggers the new format otherway it stays in the current format and reset the counter.
I consider the improvements to auto-aspect we have done recently to be bug fixes. We prioritize bug fixes very high. Your suggestion of programmable detect time is a feature enhancement and so while we can add it to the under consideration list it would get lower priority. Most people requesting enhancement of the auto-aspect are asking for faster response for auto aspect, and your request for 10 or more seconds delay is new. It is of course a valid request and we can consider it, but at a lower priority.

It might actually be that for this case the better solution is the fast detect so that when you access your language select the auto-aspect detects this and quickly changes aspect so you see the language menu, but once it disappears the Pro would detect this and quickly change back to the movie's detected aspect ratio.

My suggestion (at least for now) is when you select the language tool, etc., that when it disappears, manually select the 2.35 (or 2.40) aspect and the Pro will immediately revert to 2.35 and (if "sticky override is off) restart auto-aspect. You could alternately select "sticky override" in the auto-aspect menu. If you do this when you select 2.35 (or 2.40) the auto-aspect disengages until you re-select the input, or select a different input. So for the rest of the movie the aspect would be constant and then you re-select the input at the end of the movie to re-engage auto-aspect.
Mike_WI likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
jrp is offline  
post #3643 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 07:54 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 2,760
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanop View Post
Thank you Mike_WI,
Auto Aspect now works perfectly with every ratio in the right way. Well done!!!


I'd like to give you an input:
With AutoAspect set to HDMI+Image is it possible having in the future a customizable time buffer before triggering the recognized ratio? This would avoid Radiance bouncing between formats every time a little "imperfection" appears on the screen. Example: I'm watching John Wick (2.40:1 movie) in a 2.40:1 projection screen. If I'd want to change language or subtitles, I press LANG or SUB buttons on Oppo RC and on screen appears a partially visible selection tools (partially visible because of the format of my screen). Radiance recognizes graphichs outside the current format and triggers 1.78. As soon as language selection tools disappears, Radiance recognizes a 2.40:1 format and triggers 2.40. Sometime in very dark sequences Radiance triggers 2.35 and after a while it returns to 2.40. This is very annoying.
If you could set a time buffer of 10, 20 or 30 seconds, while watching a movie when Radiance detects the necessity of triggering a new format,waits 10, 20 or 30 seconds and if the condition still persists then it triggers the new format otherway it stays in the current format and reset the counter.
I guess the flipside to this though is that this might (with the current algorithm) make it take a really long time to get into aspect, or never get there at all.

I think it works by having to "see" the active aspect continuously for a certain amount of time, then switching. I think the movies that currently appear very slow to switch have slightly noisy bars, which means you only get enough continuous time with black bars every so often. If you extend the amount of sampled time then you might make it really hard to get into a new aspect ratio as you might never get enough time with black bars.

Having said that the black bar detection perhaps should accept that the bars won't always be perfectly black (I don't know how black it expects them to be at the moment). I mean, the bars on the AppleTV Netflix SDR output look black enough to my blind eyes (yet usually don't trigger the detection).
bobof is online now  
post #3644 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 08:15 AM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Re: this; it is hard to see what makes most sense; as it is just defective output really. From my point of view what would appear to be most logical for dealing with bad sources would be would be to allow complete disregard of the incoming metadata, replacing it (if it is still somehow used) with some user configurable data. It would be nice to be able to save this and have it permanent for a given input. It might also be nice to be able to carry on using the temporary override (not sure if this could make it into the HDR menu you can access using the cursors during HDR playback, instead of using the menu xxxx short code for this.

I'd probably prefer the above to the current workaround which I'm still a little unsure of. In discussions with Patrick I think it is possible (though I haven't tried to find an example) that the current workaround could end up ignoring bona-fide metadata updates from a well mannered source (eg if you had a source which really did need to switch metadata from one title to another, and it didn't change refresh or resolution in the intervening time - I think that would trip up the current workaround and swallow the metadata change).
The current work-around for DV titles coming in as HDR10 from the AppleTV is temporary until dynamic tone mapping is complete. Since the AppleTV 4k changes to MaxCLL are done in a nonsensical way we do plan to (mostly) ignore the MaxCLL reported by the AppleTV 4k. Note that this applies to all HDR sources once Dynamic MaxCLL calculation and Dynamic Tone Mapping are complete.

When I say "mostly ignore" reported MaxCLL, I mean that we will likely still use the reported MaxCLL as a "hint" especially when HDR starts up. How this "hint" might be applied is TBD.

We are also discussing a dynamic tone mapping feature that allows the viewer to enter some "hints" about the current movie/program that would bias the Dynamic Tone Mapping in a way to better tailor it for the specific content. The "hints" would be optional and default numbers would be used if the "hints" are not entered. The "hints" would be based on profile data for the entire movie/program. What these "hints" entail and how they are applied is TBD and it may well be the Pro can itself create these the best hints for the dynamic tone mapping and we would not have a viewer hint feature.
alex_t, Mike_WI and bobof like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
jrp is offline  
post #3645 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,443
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Appreciate @jrp commentary.
I have an Apple TV 4K in box ready to install in my HT room, so very interested in the ATV developments.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Mike_WI is offline  
post #3646 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
I consider the improvements to auto-aspect we have done recently to be bug fixes. We prioritize bug fixes very high. Your suggestion of programmable detect time is a feature enhancement and so while we can add it to the under consideration list it would get lower priority. Most people requesting enhancement of the auto-aspect are asking for faster response for auto aspect, and your request for 10 or more seconds delay is new. It is of course a valid request and we can consider it, but at a lower priority.

It might actually be that for this case the better solution is the fast detect so that when you access your language select the auto-aspect detects this and quickly changes aspect so you see the language menu, but once it disappears the Pro would detect this and quickly change back to the movie's detected aspect ratio.

My suggestion (at least for now) is when you select the language tool, etc., that when it disappears, manually select the 2.35 (or 2.40) aspect and the Pro will immediately revert to 2.35 and (if "sticky override is off) restart auto-aspect. You could alternately select "sticky override" in the auto-aspect menu. If you do this when you select 2.35 (or 2.40) the auto-aspect disengages until you re-select the input, or select a different input. So for the rest of the movie the aspect would be constant and then you re-select the input at the end of the movie to re-engage auto-aspect.
Yes Jim, Auto Aspect now is bug fixed and everything is working in the right way.
As regards my situation with Oppo lang-menu and 2.40:1 screen in an hour I'll give sticky-option a try. Thank you for your advice.
Mike_WI likes this.
stefanop is offline  
post #3647 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbrinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 250
A basic newb question on someone interested in a radiance pro:

It appears after reading through the thread most people input their sources (4k blu ray player, apple tv, xbox, etc) into the input of the lumagen, and then run the video output to their projector and the audio separately to the AVR.

Is this the best way to do it? Would that remove the avr's osd?

Is it ok to run all my sources to the avr first, then run a single hdmi output to the lumagen, then output to the projector?

My curent equipment (also in my sig)

Sony 885es

Anthem mrx1120

Panny 820/apple 4ktv/xbox one x/ps4 pro/direct tv (1080 only)

Thank you!

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120//Lumagen Radiance Pro
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Panasonic UB820 //Xbox one X //PS4 Pro // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve
jbrinegar is offline  
post #3648 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 01:59 PM
Rise & Grind
 
dinamigym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Burb of Chicago
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
A basic newb question on someone interested in a radiance pro:



It appears after reading through the thread most people input their sources (4k blu ray player, apple tv, xbox, etc) into the input of the lumagen, and then run the video output to their projector and the audio separately to the AVR.



Is this the best way to do it? Would that remove the avr's osd?



Is it ok to run all my sources to the avr first, then run a single hdmi output to the lumagen, then output to the projector?



My curent equipment (also in my sig)



Sony 885es



Anthem mrx1120



Panny 820/apple 4ktv/xbox one x/ps4 pro/direct tv (1080 only)



Thank you!

It would remove ability to see AVR OSD. If you run all sources to AVR and then video out of AVR to Lumagen just make sure you disable all video scaling and processing in AVR. Many do it that way in order to maintain ability to see AVR OSD. Only other possible downside is that it introduces another level of HDMI switching to the chain and possible sync issues but if that is not a problem then you are golden!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jbrinegar likes this.

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
dinamigym is offline  
post #3649 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 PM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 2,760
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
A basic newb question on someone interested in a radiance pro:

It appears after reading through the thread most people input their sources (4k blu ray player, apple tv, xbox, etc) into the input of the lumagen, and then run the video output to their projector and the audio separately to the AVR.

Is this the best way to do it? Would that remove the avr's osd?

Is it ok to run all my sources to the avr first, then run a single hdmi output to the lumagen, then output to the projector?

My curent equipment (also in my sig)

Sony 885es

Anthem mrx1120

Panny 820/apple 4ktv/xbox one x/ps4 pro/direct tv (1080 only)
Can't comment on that particular kit combination; but if you do run the sources to the AVR then a single HDMI to the Lumagen bear in mind the Lumagen can assign "virtual" inputs to the same physical HDMI input, so you can still have different "per input" settings even though everything is routed through the same physical HDMI connector.
jbrinegar likes this.
bobof is online now  
post #3650 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
dlinsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 376
I run all my sources into the Radiance and then a single 18G output to my Anthem MRX1120 input 1, and the output of the Anthem to my projector (JVC RS600). This works great, without issue, and allows me to see the volume / sound mode etc. I have tried placing the Anthem first, but HDMI sync across channel changes of my DirecTV box are faster via the Radiance.

Sources: Oppo 203, Roku Ultra, DirecTV C61K, HD-DVD
jbrinegar likes this.
dlinsley is online now  
post #3651 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbrinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 250
^
^
^
Thanks everyone, great info! Much appreciated

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120//Lumagen Radiance Pro
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Panasonic UB820 //Xbox one X //PS4 Pro // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve
jbrinegar is offline  
post #3652 of 4802 Old 12-05-2018, 02:48 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
A basic newb question on someone interested in a radiance pro:

It appears after reading through the thread most people input their sources (4k blu ray player, apple tv, xbox, etc) into the input of the Lumagen, and then run the video output to their projector and the audio separately to the AVR.

Is this the best way to do it? Would that remove the avr's osd?
Your question prompted me to once again touch on not only the answer to your question, but also to bring up HDMI issues and how to avoid them since audio is the weakest link in the HDMI food chain.

We recommend connecting sources to the Radiance Pro and let it do the switching. The advantage of this is often more reliable and always faster video switching. In addition as new features are added (for example HLG) that might not be supported in the AVR you would get to use these if the Pro is doing the switching.

The disadvantage of letting the Pro do the switching is you loose access to the AVR's OSD. However, you can generally connect the AVR output to an unused input on the Pro to be able to select it to see the AVR OSD, but there is a chance this will cause an HDMI HDCP authentication loop. Generally this has not been an issue with the current generation of 4k AVRs but just yesterday we had an email about what we believe is an authentication loop with an audio processor. Note: The authentication loop is the output of the Pro to the AVR authenticating HDCP, which causes the AVR to authenticate its output going to the Pro which can then cause the Pro to again authenticate the connection to the AVR, etc.. This is not necessarily a fault in either product, but a result of the timing and function of the HDMI HDCP authentication. We try to eliminate the loop issue if we can get the equipment in that has this authentication loop issue with the Radiance Pro.

[EDIT] Or switch with the Pro, output through the AVR to the projector/TV. Since we recommend the Pro do Tone Mapping and "output HDR in a SDR container" the AVR only need to support SDR modes. Switching is a little slower this way but you get to use the AVR OSD.

====

There have been a few high-end audio processors that have had issues with the Pro audio output. These have been (as best we can determine) that the audio processor is not processing all needed audio interrupts for the Pro's "audio only" output (and instead depending on video interrupts to know when to change the audio mode which does not work with an "audio only" stream since the blank video carrying the audio does not change), or HDMI circuit designs that need an active cable because they cannot deal with the fast edge rates of the Radiance Pro audio only output. Or, as another example, one high end audio product's switch board (which is used in a number of high end audio products) was reporting that the 6 Channel PCM it was receiving was 6 channel PCM as it should, but only processing the left and right channels. Patrick figured out how to have the Pro output kick the audio processor switch board just right to wake it up and get it to not only report the 6 channels, but also to process all of them. Fortunately we have now worked around the audio processor audio issues we know about. I mention these in case something new pops up with a different product.

Finally, as always, I strongly recommend 18 GHz Certified HDMI cables for all connections. This includes the "audio only" output from the Pro even though it is running at an HD rate. This is because transmission-line theory says it is the edge rate that matters most for required cable quality, rather than video rate (which does matter but not as much). Also avoid passive HDMI cables less than 2 meters long (especially for audio) as the signal can be too hot due to cable EQ. I recommend Tributaries "Certified" 2 to 3 meter UHDP passives, or for the long run from the Pro output the Tributaries UHDT "Titan" cables.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen

Last edited by jrp; 12-05-2018 at 02:54 PM.
jrp is offline  
post #3653 of 4802 Old 12-06-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,442
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 675
I also run everything into the Lumagen Pro and have the Pro output going to my projector. I also have the output from my AVP going to a second input on the projector, but frankly never use it. May depend on your AVR. Mine has a web interface for everything. My control system gives me basic info (e.g. volume, input, input signal format, audio mode, etc...). There are many control systems that do this for general info you might need while using the system (vs. setup activities). SJ
jbrinegar likes this.
SJHT is online now  
post #3654 of 4802 Old 12-06-2018, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
dlinsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 986
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
Can anybody help me with configuring the NLS? Background is that I have ordered a Paladin DCR for the new JVC projectors with 17/9 native 4k panel. As they are postponed into next year I already want to use the lens with my existing JVC X7000 16/9 panel. That means I have to configure the stretch / output so that the lens works again in my setup. Has anybody done this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamblanet View Post
I’m waiting on a jvc preorder also...

You should not need NLS - adjust your image with lens to fill screen height with the lens. Then just configure the Lumagen’s output-style with the current proj+lens aspect ratio of 2.22 (16:9 x 1.25) and it should handle the rest.

If you want to avoid the slight letterbox left for scope movies, you could add in a second lens memory to zoom in for scope to take the 2.22 -> full screen width...
@westmd did you get this working? I'm in a similar boat and thinking about getting the DCR now to play with my RS600 while I wait for the RS3000.
dlinsley is online now  
post #3655 of 4802 Old 12-07-2018, 06:05 AM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,778
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Is anyone using a Denon AVR-X3500H with the Pro?

I am experiencing intermittent audio/video blanking that lasts around 10 seconds with multiple sources.

I also have a 50 foot Ruipro hybrid fiber cable in between the pro and the AVR, so was thinking that component may be the cause. I am using an HDMI voltage inserter on the cable at the Pro output, because without it the video signal flashes repeatedly. I attempted to move the HDMI voltage inserter to the sink end (the AVR input) yesterday, but that caused constant audio issues.

I haven’t made any changes to the AVR settings in an attempt to mitigate this issue.

Any input/advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
giomania is offline  
post #3656 of 4802 Old 12-07-2018, 06:19 AM
Rise & Grind
 
dinamigym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Burb of Chicago
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Is anyone using a Denon AVR-X3500H with the Pro?

I am experiencing intermittent audio/video blanking that lasts around 10 seconds with multiple sources.

I also have a 50 foot Ruipro hybrid fiber cable in between the pro and the AVR, so was thinking that component may be the cause. I am using an HDMI voltage inserter on the cable at the Pro output, because without it the video signal flashes repeatedly. I attempted to move the HDMI voltage inserter to the sink end (the AVR input) yesterday, but that caused constant audio issues.

I haven’t made any changes to the AVR settings in an attempt to mitigate this issue.

Any input/advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


I use that exact cable and length with Pro and Marantz 8805. I don’t use a voltage inserter and don’t experience any of that. Is the long run to your Display or AVR?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
dinamigym is offline  
post #3657 of 4802 Old 12-07-2018, 06:32 AM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,778
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
I use that exact cable and length with Pro and Marantz 8805. I don’t use a voltage inserter and don’t experience any of that. Is the long run to your Display or AVR?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


The cable goes from the output of the pro to the input of the AVR.

I’m guessing the HDMI circuitry is different between the X3500H, and the 8805, but if you could post your AVR HDMI settings then I will mirror them.

Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
giomania is offline  
post #3658 of 4802 Old 12-07-2018, 06:53 AM
Rise & Grind
 
dinamigym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Burb of Chicago
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
The cable goes from the output of the pro to the input of the AVR.

I’m guessing the HDMI circuitry is different between the X3500H, and the 8805, but if you could post your AVR HDMI settings then I will mirror them.

Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


No problem I will send when I get home this afternoon. I have my AVR running to an input on the Pro and the Pro output to my projector. Did you happen to try pro out to Display and see if that gives a different result?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
giomania likes this.

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
dinamigym is offline  
post #3659 of 4802 Old 12-07-2018, 07:08 AM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,778
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
No problem I will send when I get home this afternoon. I have my AVR running to an input on the Pro and the Pro output to my projector. Did you happen to try pro out to Display and see if that gives a different result?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I don’t think I tested that path since I installed the Pro. If the AVR settings don’t help, then I will.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dinamigym likes this.
giomania is offline  
post #3660 of 4802 Old 12-08-2018, 08:06 AM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,778
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Is anyone using a Denon AVR-X3500H with the Pro?

I am experiencing intermittent audio/video blanking that lasts around 10 seconds with multiple sources.

I also have a 50 foot Ruipro hybrid fiber cable in between the pro and the AVR, so was thinking that component may be the cause. I am using an HDMI voltage inserter on the cable at the Pro output, because without it the video signal flashes repeatedly. I attempted to move the HDMI voltage inserter to the sink end (the AVR input) yesterday, but that caused constant audio issues.

I haven’t made any changes to the AVR settings in an attempt to mitigate this issue.

Any input/advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
I use that exact cable and length with Pro and Marantz 8805. I don’t use a voltage inserter and don’t experience any of that. Is the long run to your Display or AVR?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
The cable goes from the output of the pro to the input of the AVR.

I’m guessing the HDMI circuitry is different between the X3500H, and the 8805, but if you could post your AVR HDMI settings then I will mirror them.

Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
No problem I will send when I get home this afternoon. I have my AVR running to an input on the Pro and the Pro output to my projector. Did you happen to try pro out to Display and see if that gives a different result?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I don’t think I tested that path since I installed the Pro. If the AVR settings don’t help, then I will.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the PM with the pictures. My settings are below, and I have marked in bold text the items that are different from your settings.

Setup => Video => HDMI Setup
HDMI Audio Out is not able to be selected, as I have ARC enabled below.
Vertical Stretch is not an option on my AVR
HDMI Pass Through is "On"
-Pass Through Source is "Last"
-RC Source Select is "Power On + Source"
HDMI Control is "Off"
-ARC is "On"
The following settings not able to be selected because I have HDMI Control Off, but I will list them anyway.
-TV Audio Switching is "On"
-Power Off Control is "All"
-Power Saving is "Off"
-Smart Menu is "Off"

Setup => Video => Output Settings
HDMI Video Output is "Auto (Dual)"
Video Mode is "Auto"
Video Conversion is "On"
i/p Scaler is "Off"
The following settings not able to be selected because I have i/p Scaler Off, but I will list them anyway.
-Resolution (analog) is "Auto"
-Resolution (HDMI) is "Auto"
-Sharpness is "Off"
-Progressive Mode is "Off"
-Aspect Ratio is "16:9"

Setup => Video => On Screen Display
Volume is "Bottom"
Info is "On"
Now Playing is "Always On"

Setup => Video => 4K Signal Format
I didn't see this in your message, but 4K Signal Format is "Enhanced" on my AVR.

Setup => Video => TV Format
Format is "NTSC"

Last night my son watched a movie by himself, and said he did not notice the intermittent audio/video blanking, so maybe the firmware update I applied to the Radiance Pro on Wednesday changed something for my particular setup. We will have to wait and see now.

Mark
dinamigym likes this.
giomania is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Video Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off