New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series - Page 142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4089Likes

post #4231 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 05:23 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2633 Post(s)
Liked: 1732
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post
Could be related. It's all black and then bright white letters fade in quickly.
DTM not always gives a picture with more depth. It may also make it look more milky compared to the static version, but with bright/highlight detail less/not clipped away. I watched "A Star Is Born" and it was full of somewhat hazy shots with DTM. But my settings are also rather extreme (shape 3, transition 7-10, display brightness 300 nits).
I also reported a couple of hazy looking shots earlier in Star Trek - Discovery on Netflix in UK, but I haven't played with settings much yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 01:34 PM
Rise & Grind

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 292
For those that use a Lumagen with their Sony 5000....Aside from the aspect ratio, tone mapping, calibration benefits when incorporating the Lumagen with the 5000 is there any consensus on whether it makes HDMI switching better or worse? I have used a Lumagen from day one with my 5000 and HDMI handshake/switching is ok on the best days and very frustrating on the worst. I'm considering pulling it from the chain to see if there is an improvement but before I do I figured I'd ask? I have tried numerous cable combinations and currently use a 45ft Ruipro fiber cable. Its the best so far but my handshake issues still leave much to be desired.
post #4233 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2616 Post(s)
Liked: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
There is at least one issue I see fairly frequently with DTM that I'm surprised hasn't been reported by anyone else which is a single frame bright flash which seems to be able to happen when transitioning from very dark scenes to bright scenes.
Yes, I reported that to Jim as well as Kris who is spending a lot of time on DTM... The latest beta seems to address this (it is unreleased but I am evaluating)

However I do notice some brightness clampdown on a number of scenes in The Martian that look more appropriate with DTM off (many exterior scenes especially. Haven't had enough time to see if this is disc specific or not but will look more. There was a another segment in The Martian, as the Ares lifts off from Mars and then dissolves to Jeff Daniels press conference where the Daniels scene starts of quite bright, but as the camera trucks back for several seconds, it suddenly clamps down to a darker image.

I've reported all this - Lumagen are doing some really nice work with DTM, so I'm sure over the next month or so there will be several more refinements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4234 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
For those that use a Lumagen with their Sony 5000....Aside from the aspect ratio, tone mapping, calibration benefits when incorporating the Lumagen with the 5000 is there any consensus on whether it makes HDMI switching better or worse? I have used a Lumagen from day one with my 5000 and HDMI handshake/switching is ok on the best days and very frustrating on the worst. I'm considering pulling it from the chain to see if there is an improvement but before I do I figured I'd ask? I have tried numerous cable combinations and currently use a 45ft Ruipro fiber cable. Its the best so far but my handshake issues still leave much to be desired.

I’ve had a similar experience with my JVC 640 and a 10m Ruipro. I had an unused Vertex and decided to add it to the chain. It sits on top of my JVC and has eliminated nearly all of my handshake issues. Most of my issues were with Directv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JVC RS640; RUIPRO 10m HDMI cable; Marantz AV7704; Lumagen Pro 4240; Oppo BDP-203;Triad Silver LCR, Onwall Bronze Surround, Inwall Bronze Omni, KEF Inceiling Ci 160QR x 4; Dual RSS460HO-4 18" SWs
post #4235 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Make sure cables from sources to Lumagen are also quality cables and in the 2m-3m length.
D6500Ken and Eventidal like this.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #4236 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 02:17 PM
Rise & Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskreis View Post
I’ve had a similar experience with my JVC 640 and a 10m Ruipro. I had an unused Vertex and decided to add it to the chain. It sits on top of my JVC and has eliminated nearly all of my handshake issues. Most of my issues were with Directv.

I have one of those. I'll give it a try. Thanks
post #4237 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 02:19 PM
Rise & Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
Make sure cables from sources to Lumagen are also quality cables and in the 2m-3m length.
I've tried adjusting/changing those also. Have you ever gone source direct to your AVR, then direct to projector? I guess
I'm trying to figure out if the Lumagen is making that handshake more difficult or not. Right now Lumagen is doing all my video switching. Only audio going to AVR.
post #4238 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I've tried adjusting/changing those also. Have you ever gone source direct to your AVR, then direct to projector?
I haven't tried that with a Sony 5000, no. I can't think of an install I've worked on with that projector that didn't have a Lumagen in the path. I have seen a couple of bad RUIPro cables over the years, like anything else.

JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
post #4239 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 02:32 PM
Rise & Grind

New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
I haven't tried that with a Sony 5000, no. I can't think of an install I've worked on with that projector that didn't have a Lumagen in the path. I have seen a couple of bad RUIPro cables over the years, like anything else.

Thanks. I was thinking of trying the AVPro UNC but trying to exhaust all other possibilities before spending the dough.

Jim recommended going to 9GHZ output which helped but it messed with my Kaleidescape Strato movies. The movie playback wasn’t fluid anymore it wasn’t terrible but definitely could see it jumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242

Last edited by dinamigym; 03-24-2019 at 02:37 PM.
post #4240 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks. I was thinking of trying the AVPro UNC but trying to exhaust all other possibilities before spending the dough.

Jim recommended going to 9GHZ output which helped but it messed with my Kaleidescape Strato movies. The movie playback wasn’t fluid anymore it wasn’t terrible but definitely could see it jumping.

I did just use one at the new CEDIA Experience Center cinema, and flawless so far. Barco Loki Cinemascope tho, not a Sony.
dinamigym likes this.

post #4241 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Did you check other sources as well?

Sounds more like incorrect frame rate matching, 9GHZ usually has no dropouts/stutter.

Did you check the info menu?

What HDMI microcode are you using?
post #4242 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Rise & Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
Did you check other sources as well?

Sounds more like incorrect frame rate matching, 9GHZ usually has no dropouts/stutter.

Did you check the info menu?

What HDMI microcode are you using?

I’m on the new microcode. I agree...does seem like a frame rate issue but I did check the info menu and I can’t see anything wrong. When I switch back to 18ghz the stutter goes away and frame rate doesn’t change. Shows same as it did when outputting 9ghz.

post #4243 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 03:49 PM

Try reloading the old microcode, it might work better with the 9GHZ output boards...

Did you activate frame rate matching?
post #4244 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 03:51 PM
Rise & Grind

Quote:
Try reloading the old microcode, it might work better with the 9GHZ output boards...

Did you activate frame rate matching?

Did not activate frame rate matching. Should I do that when trying the 9GHZ output?

post #4245 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 94
HDR Tone Mapping-Sony 5000

I looking for the best tone mapping setup for the Pro with a Sony 5000 PJ. Any input would be appreciated. Bright scenes look too washed out.

John

post #4246 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Did not activate frame rate matching. Should I do that when trying the 9GHZ output?

Have you set the HDMI format to 9GHZ auto in the radiance?

I always use frame rate matching.Give it a try.

If still no luck then reload old microcode and check colour depth in the Kaleidascape...
post #4247 of 5820 Old 03-24-2019, 04:19 PM
Rise & Grind

New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series

Quote:
Have you set the HDMI format to 9GHZ auto in the radiance?

I always use frame rate matching.Give it a try.

If still no luck then reload old microcode and check colour depth in the Kaleidascape...

Thanks...Yes 9GHZ auto. That’s what gave me stuttering in the Strato output. I’ll try reloading old code. I do know when I switch to 9 and check Strato HDMI port status I get a yellow output status. When I’m on 18 auto on lumagen all Strato ports show blue (fully operational).

post #4248 of 5820 Old 03-25-2019, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Thanks...Yes 9GHZ auto. That’s what gave me stuttering in the Strato output. I’ll try reloading old code. I do know when I switch to 9 and check Strato HDMI port status I get a yellow output status. When I’m on 18 auto on lumagen all Strato ports show blue (fully operational).

when you change to 9GHz output there should be absolutely no change in status on the Strato and what it reports it can send to the Lumagen as that is based on the capabilities of the INPUT board, not output board. Are you sure you are changing output board setting not input one? Also rate match can cause additional re-syncs so i'd have it off and also have genlock off as both of those should make sync better.

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #4249 of 5820 Old 03-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Rise & Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser View Post
when you change to 9GHz output there should be absolutely no change in status on the Strato and what it reports it can send to the Lumagen as that is based on the capabilities of the INPUT board, not output board. Are you sure you are changing output board setting not input one? Also rate match can cause additional re-syncs so i'd have it off and also have genlock off as both of those should make sync better.

Thanks...I’m going to double check that now that you mention.

post #4250 of 5820 Old 03-25-2019, 02:08 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

Where is this output board setting located? I am having a minor audio issue with a TiVo Roamio Pro and a 50-foot Ruipro hybrid fiber cable I have been trying to solve. I have the input limited to 1080p as recommended by Jim for older HDMI devices with issues. The Radiance 2441 did not have this issue, so the Pro is the key factor that changed when this problem started.

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #4251 of 5820 Old 03-25-2019, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Where is this output board setting located? I am having a minor audio issue with a TiVo Roamio Pro and a 50-foot Ruipro hybrid fiber cable I have been trying to solve. I have the input limited to 1080p as recommended by Jim for older HDMI devices with issues. The Radiance 2441 did not have this issue, so the Pro is the key factor that changed when this problem started.

Thanks.

Mark

If you're losing audio when switching from a different input back to the Roamio...welcome to the club. I've tried all I know without success.

John

post #4252 of 5820 Old 03-25-2019, 07:04 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
If you're losing audio when switching from a different input back to the Roamio...welcome to the club. I've tried all I know without success.

I have not experienced that symptom.

post #4253 of 5820 Old 03-27-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I looked at the credits of "Blade Runner" again. Apart from the flickering there is a saturation problem with the green tree at the beginning when dynamic mapping is on. It's hardly green anymore but brighter, of course. So are the white text. The red text stays red, though. I guess this can be improved. ? In general I liked the effect on the credits a lot since they are now much punchier.
post #4254 of 5820 Old 03-28-2019, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Where is this output board setting located?

MENU>OUTPUT<STYLES>STYLE*>HDMI FORMAT>TYPE> Auto 9GHz
giomania and mikela like this.

Convergent-AV
post #4255 of 5820 Old 03-28-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
MENU>OUTPUT<STYLES>STYLE*>HDMI FORMAT>TYPE> Auto 9GHz
When you change to 9GHz (and have 18Ghz cards), does a Y or N show up on page 4 of the info screen? I.e. is it showing the physical hardware on that info screen or what you have it set for? Thanks. SJ
post #4256 of 5820 Old 03-28-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
When you change to 9GHz (and have 18Ghz cards), does a Y or N show up on page 4 of the info screen? I.e. is it showing the physical hardware on that info screen or what you have it set for? Thanks. SJ

I believe that is showing the physical hardware.

Convergent-AV
post #4257 of 5820 Old 03-29-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 1328
Question for you guys (I think this is my first post on this thread):
I'm looking at finally pulling the trigger on a Radiance Pro 4444 or 4446 to go with my Trinnov Altitude 32/24. However, I still have the original Altitude HDMI card that only had Input 1 as HDMI 1.4 with (partially) HDCP 2.2 and a single HDCP 2.2 compatible output with Output 2. Wondering whether I will have to upgrade the HDMI card in the Altitude assuming the following....

Three potential UHD sources (Oppo 203, Roku Ultra, HTPC with a 4K/HDCP 2.2 NVidia card), maybe a fourth that's Apple TV 4K
Lumagen has either three or four 18 Ghz inputs (TBD), and one 18 Ghz output
6' 18 Ghz compatible cable from sources to Lumagen, and similar to my JVC RS600

My question: if I'm sending 18 Ghz (presumably) video output to the JVC RS600, and audio output from the Lumagen to the Altitude, is there any reason I can't just send HDMI 1.4 compatible output to the Altitude or will I break HDCP 2.2 and cause issues? And do I really need 18 Ghz video output to an JVC RS600 given my sources, or can I get by with 9 Ghz video output?

I could, of course, upgrade the Altitude to the newer board, decide which of my inputs are going to be 9 Ghz or 18 Ghz in the upcoming software update or the beta (if my Roku and HTPC are just doing 4K streaming; do I even need or want them to have 18 Ghz input?), and having a single video output from the Altitude to the Lumagen that's HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compatible. However, can I get by with the older HDMI I/O card, and save the $700 or so on the card towards calibration, or do I really want to swap out the I/O card as part of the cost of upgrading my video?

Thanks in advance...just trying to avoid breaking what's not broken, so pardon the relatively simple question.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #4258 of 5820 Old 03-29-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Question for you guys (I think this is my first post on this thread):
I'm looking at finally pulling the trigger on a Radiance Pro 4444 or 4446 to go with my Trinnov Altitude 32/24. However, I still have the original Altitude HDMI card that only had Input 1 as HDMI 1.4 with (partially) HDCP 2.2 and a single HDCP 2.2 compatible output with Output 2. Wondering whether I will have to upgrade the HDMI card in the Altitude assuming the following....

Three potential UHD sources (Oppo 203, Roku Ultra, HTPC with a 4K/HDCP 2.2 NVidia card), maybe a fourth that's Apple TV 4K
Lumagen has either three or four 18 Ghz inputs (TBD), and one 18 Ghz output
6' 18 Ghz compatible cable from sources to Lumagen, and similar to my JVC RS600

My question: if I'm sending 18 Ghz (presumably) video output to the JVC RS600, and audio output from the Lumagen to the Altitude, is there any reason I can't just send HDMI 1.4 compatible output to the Altitude or will I break HDCP 2.2 and cause issues? And do I really need 18 Ghz video output to an JVC RS600 given my sources, or can I get by with 9 Ghz video output?

I could, of course, upgrade the Altitude to the newer board, decide which of my inputs are going to be 9 Ghz or 18 Ghz in the upcoming software update or the beta (if my Roku and HTPC are just doing 4K streaming; do I even need or want them to have 18 Ghz input?), and having a single video output from the Altitude to the Lumagen that's HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compatible. However, can I get by with the older HDMI I/O card, and save the $700 or so on the card towards calibration, or do I really want to swap out the I/O card as part of the cost of upgrading my video?

Thanks in advance...just trying to avoid breaking what's not broken, so pardon the relatively simple question.
If you are using the Radiance Pro for all video switching and source inputs (unless you have a 4k player like Oppo with one HDMI video and one HDMI audio output, which makes no difference since HDMI 1.4 audio output goes to Trinnov), then you only have HDMI 1.4 going out of Radiance Pro and into the Trinnov - so upgrading to the new HDMI board is I would think not necessary. On the other hand, my Altitude 32 arrived late last Sept and only required a firmware upgrade to be HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2.

If you want to use the Trinnov to do video switching, then you will need the HDMI board HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #4259 of 5820 Old 03-30-2019, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Are the input and output HDMI boards interchangable? I do have one 18GHz in and one 9GHz in and an 18GHz out and I wanted to exchange them to two 18GHz in and a 9GHz out. Would that work?
post #4260 of 5820 Old 03-30-2019, 03:10 AM
aka jfinnie

Quoted: 2633 Post(s)
Liked: 1732
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
Are the input and output HDMI boards interchangable? I do have one 18GHz in and one 9GHz in and an 18GHz out and I wanted to exchange them to two 18GHz in and a 9GHz out. Would that work?
No, not interchangeable, the cards are different. There might be a commercial solution (like a trade-in discount or something).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page