New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3124Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4561 of 4881 Old 05-04-2019, 01:51 PM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 2,876
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
This has probably been answered at some point, but is anyone using the dynamic tone mapping function with an Nvidia Shield and confirmed that the Shield is sending maxfall/maxcll info? It's supposed to to with the Shield 7.2 update. And I'm assuming it should work regardless of what app you use (Plex, Kodi, MrMC, Emby, etc.)?
Just press OK a couple of times on the remote of the Lumagen, the received MaxCLL will be displayed.
bobof is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4562 of 4881 Old 05-04-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Just press OK a couple of times on the remote of the Lumagen, the received MaxCLL will be displayed.
Thanks, but I don't own a Lumagen (yet). Was curious if anyone was using it with their Shield.
bobof likes this.
lockdown571 is online now  
post #4563 of 4881 Old 05-04-2019, 02:03 PM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 2,876
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Thanks, but I don't own a Lumagen (yet). Was curious if anyone was using it with their Shield.
Ah ok, sorry I don't use one myself.
For what it is worth, with DTM it's not as important as it once was, DTM set to 8 only uses a bit of the HDMI transmitted HDR metadata, mostly it comes from the content itself.
lockdown571 likes this.
bobof is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4564 of 4881 Old 05-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
jamesmil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
This has probably been answered at some point, but is anyone using the dynamic tone mapping function with an Nvidia Shield and confirmed that the Shield is sending maxfall/maxcll info? It's supposed to to with the Shield 7.2 update. And I'm assuming it should work regardless of what app you use (Plex, Kodi, MrMC, Emby, etc.)?


Yes it does (Shield TV v7.23). EDIT: The screenshot is from Plex, but I tested with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Vudu as well (I wasn't able to get Google Movies & TV or Kodi to kick into HDR mode).


Last edited by jamesmil; 05-04-2019 at 08:37 PM.
jamesmil is offline  
post #4565 of 4881 Old 05-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Member
 
darksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Another question:

I'm trying to update the firmware version. Is it possible on a Mac or must I run it using Parallels/Windows? If possible on a Mac, how does one do so?
This is my biggest complaint about Lumagen. Basically anything other than Windows entails a risk. These days people upgrade software through wi-fi, usb sticks etc. and should be OS agnostic. Lumagen instead of working on lame features like sharpness enhancements and PIP, should bring their software upgrades up to 21st century standards. Regarding your video+audio sync issues you should get advice from Lumagen support. Whatever cables various people suggest, it's all anecdotal evidence. With proper cables and setup you should have no issues.
darksets is offline  
post #4566 of 4881 Old 05-05-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmil View Post
Yes it does (Shield TV v7.23). EDIT: The screenshot is from Plex, but I tested with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Vudu as well (I wasn't able to get Google Movies & TV or Kodi to kick into HDR mode).
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for! Just as an FYI, to get Kodi to switch to HDR, you need to enable mediacodec (surface) in the kodi settings. Cheers.
lockdown571 is online now  
post #4567 of 4881 Old 05-05-2019, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Roland Janus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for! Just as an FYI, to get Kodi to switch to HDR, you need to enable mediacodec (surface) in the kodi settings. Cheers.
and if you want the Shield to autoswitch between 709/2020 there is a developer option to do that (working very well).

-Roland
lockdown571 likes this.
Roland Janus is offline  
post #4568 of 4881 Old 05-05-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,077
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4575 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Janus View Post
and if you want the Shield to autoswitch between 709/2020 there is a developer option to do that (working very well).

-Roland
Speaking about the Shield, do you know of a way to have the Shield/Plex combination NOT up convert 1080P to 4K (I want the Lumagen to do that)? I have tried two other Shield apps (Kodi and MrMC) that will pass 1080P but the UI of those are too clunky for my use.
audioguy is online now  
post #4569 of 4881 Old 05-05-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,077
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4575 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Is the link the exact variant you are using (3ft?). Apparently the 3ft cables are not favoured, too short. I have a combination of the Belden FE and Monoprice cables; I think they're of similar quality.
Maybe you can describe a bit more how everything in your system is connected. Pretty much every time I've had HDMI IO issues with my own Radiance it is at the output side that is problematic.

There was a recent firmware update which introduced a new video input board firmware, that version seems to be a little worse behaved than the previous version and has been backed out. That is version 042019. Versions either side of that don't have the issue.

Additionally, there are two different HDMI output firmware versions which behave differently on different kit.
A couple of comments. As it turns out, even though my Lumagen was shipped last Monday, it was several firmware updates behind, some of which had to do with HDMI issues. (And I have yet to get the firmware update process to work). Secondly, when I got on the phone with Craig and was going to walk through the issue with him, the Lumagen switching worked perfectly (?) and lastly, all of my Monoprice (and the Blue Jeans) cables in use are >6 feet. This was recommended to me but why longer is better is way beyond me.

I'm comfortable that eventually at least this part of my Lumagen integration will get better,
audioguy is online now  
post #4570 of 4881 Old 05-05-2019, 10:36 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 2,876
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksets View Post
This is my biggest complaint about Lumagen. Basically anything other than Windows entails a risk. These days people upgrade software through wi-fi, usb sticks etc. and should be OS agnostic. Lumagen instead of working on lame features like sharpness enhancements and PIP, should bring their software upgrades up to 21st century standards. Regarding your video+audio sync issues you should get advice from Lumagen support. Whatever cables various people suggest, it's all anecdotal evidence. With proper cables and setup you should have no issues.
I don't see it as that much of a limitation as every single piece of calibration software you could use to set these things up is also Windows only, and the best you could hope for on these existing products would be a Mac cabled uploaded (as there isn't a USB host to connect a USB drive or WiFi adapter) . I'm mostly a Mac user, except for when I have to use a PC, and unfortunately most niche products support PC first (and maybe will never support Mac).


Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
bobof is offline  
post #4571 of 4881 Old 05-05-2019, 11:02 AM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
A couple of comments. As it turns out, even though my Lumagen was shipped last Monday, it was several firmware updates behind, some of which had to do with HDMI issues. (And I have yet to get the firmware update process to work). Secondly, when I got on the phone with Craig and was going to walk through the issue with him, the Lumagen switching worked perfectly (?) and lastly, all of my Monoprice (and the Blue Jeans) cables in use are >6 feet. This was recommended to me but why longer is better is way beyond me.



I'm comfortable that eventually at least this part of my Lumagen integration will get better,


I have all Blue Jeans Cables Belden Series F and FE; many shorter than 6 feet.

The only HDMI issues I have is with my 50-foot RuiPro Hybrid Fiber.

Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
giomania is offline  
post #4572 of 4881 Old 05-05-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Speaking about the Shield, do you know of a way to have the Shield/Plex combination NOT up convert 1080P to 4K (I want the Lumagen to do that)? I have tried two other Shield apps (Kodi and MrMC) that will pass 1080P but the UI of those are too clunky for my use.
Unfortunately, no. The official Plex app doesn't support resolution switching. I've been begging for this feature for a while. Have to use Kodi/MrMC or Emby in the meantime. Too bad the Emby interface is really ugly.
lockdown571 is online now  
post #4573 of 4881 Old 05-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Roland Janus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Unfortunately, no. The official Plex app doesn't support resolution switching. I've been begging for this feature for a while. Have to use Kodi/MrMC or Emby in the meantime. Too bad the Emby interface is really ugly.
OT on:
Never bothered with Plex, always used Kodi any yes getting Kodi to do exactly what I want is a pita...
But using the right skin and config it does look very nice and works (most of the time)

OT off.
lockdown571 likes this.
Roland Janus is offline  
post #4574 of 4881 Old 05-05-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,077
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4575 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Unfortunately, no. The official Plex app doesn't support resolution switching. I've been begging for this feature for a while. Have to use Kodi/MrMC or Emby in the meantime. Too bad the Emby interface is really ugly.
Other than Plex, I dislike the UI of Kodi, MrMC and Emby. I switched from a Dune to improve the interface and Plex/Nvidia did it - except it won't allow pass through of 1080P video resolutions.
audioguy is online now  
post #4575 of 4881 Old 05-05-2019, 04:09 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,462
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
A couple of comments. As it turns out, even though my Lumagen was shipped last Monday, it was several firmware updates behind, some of which had to do with HDMI issues. (And I have yet to get the firmware update process to work). Secondly, when I got on the phone with Craig and was going to walk through the issue with him, the Lumagen switching worked perfectly (?) and lastly, all of my Monoprice (and the Blue Jeans) cables in use are >6 feet. This was recommended to me but why longer is better is way beyond me.

I'm comfortable that eventually at least this part of my Lumagen integration will get better,
Audioguy:

Your unit shipped with the latest release that was available on the day it was shipped. The newer releases came after shipment. When Craig comes to calibrate, he can update the unit if you are not able to do so before then.

Unfortunately, while the new 18 GHz input chip microcode provided by the chip vendor that was used in the release your unit shipped (which had a work-around for the AppleTV4K's "changing Static Metadata every 30 seconds when its not supposed to" bug), created new issues. We had to revert to the original 18 GHz input chip microcode. So once you are able to update your firmware to the latest release you should have improved switching.

As I mentioned the Lumagen Demo Theater uses mostly the same equipment you have (we have an Oppo 203, Strato, DirecTV Genie, Roku, Radiance Pro, Trinnov Altitude16, and RS4500), and I have no issues switching at all. We use Tributaries UHDP for 2 to 3 meter passive HDMI, and Tributaries UHDT "Titan" for the 15 meter run to the RS4500 (RUIPRO fiber was also tested and works without issue). We find that better HDMI cabling is almost always the way to fix issues.

Note: For the Altitude 4k capable switch board you need to use input 5, 6, or 7, as they work better than inputs 1 to 4. You probably know this already, but I thought I would mention it for others.

Contact support at Lumagen (503-574-2211 Option 2) if you want to work through issues. Randy is covering for me while I am on vacation. If you don't get things sorted with Randy he can give you my cell number and you can call me.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
jrp is offline  
post #4576 of 4881 Old 05-05-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,077
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4575 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Audioguy:

Your unit shipped with the latest release that was available on the day it was shipped. The newer releases came after shipment. When Craig comes to calibrate, he can update the unit if you are not able to do so before then.

Unfortunately, while the new 18 GHz input chip microcode provided by the chip vendor that was used in the release your unit shipped (which had a work-around for the AppleTV4K's "changing Static Metadata every 30 seconds when its not supposed to" bug), created new issues. We had to revert to the original 18 GHz input chip microcode. So once you are able to update your firmware to the latest release you should have improved switching.

As I mentioned the Lumagen Demo Theater uses mostly the same equipment you have (we have an Oppo 203, Strato, DirecTV Genie, Roku, Radiance Pro, Trinnov Altitude16, and RS4500), and I have no issues switching at all. We use Tributaries UHDP for 2 to 3 meter passive HDMI, and Tributaries UHDT "Titan" for the 15 meter run to the RS4500 (RUIPRO fiber was also tested and works without issue). We find that better HDMI cabling is almost always the way to fix issues.

Note: For the Altitude 4k capable switch board you need to use input 5, 6, or 7, as they work better than inputs 1 to 4. You probably know this already, but I thought I would mention it for others.

Contact support at Lumagen (503-574-2211 Option 2) if you want to work through issues. Randy is covering for me while I am on vacation. If you don't get things sorted with Randy he can give you my cell number and you can call me.
Thanks for your response. I suspect the switching issue is related to the comment you made above, which should be addressed with the update. As it turns out, when Craig and I were on the phone together to discuss my switching issue, it worked flawlessly - sort of like when you take your car for service and the "squeak" you were complaining about doesn't show up. The cables I am using (that I just purchased) were recommended by Kris and Craig gave his nod as well so I don't think that is the issue. I already had a RUIPRO HDMI Fiber Cable running to the projector and everyone seems to think that is more than satisfactory and has not proven to have any issues in the 7 months or so I have owned it.

I will call Randy tomorrow to see if he can help me untangle my inability to get my computer (Windows running on my Mac) to see the Lumagen. Once that occurs, I will be off to the races - and reach the finish once Craig gets here. Craig wailed me through getting DTM operational and I was able to enable and disable DTM while watching some 4K material. Very cool and I'm sure once I get this most recent update and once Craig gets here, it will be even more impressive. Lumagen/RS4500/Panamorph - one heck of a combination !!!
audioguy is online now  
post #4577 of 4881 Old 05-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Thanks for your response. I suspect the switching issue is related to the comment you made above, which should be addressed with the update. As it turns out, when Craig and I were on the phone together to discuss my switching issue, it worked flawlessly - sort of like when you take your car for service and the "squeak" you were complaining about doesn't show up. The cables I am using (that I just purchased) were recommended by Kris and Craig gave his nod as well so I don't think that is the issue. I already had a RUIPRO HDMI Fiber Cable running to the projector and everyone seems to think that is more than satisfactory and has not proven to have any issues in the 7 months or so I have owned it.

I will call Randy tomorrow to see if he can help me untangle my inability to get my computer (Windows running on my Mac) to see the Lumagen. Once that occurs, I will be off to the races - and reach the finish once Craig gets here. Craig wailed me through getting DTM operational and I was able to enable and disable DTM while watching some 4K material. Very cool and I'm sure once I get this most recent update and once Craig gets here, it will be even more impressive. Lumagen/RS4500/Panamorph - one heck of a combination !!!
i updated flawlessly with my 2018 macbook pro updated to mojave and running parallels/windows10. you need to ensure the correct port is selected and you can identify this by clicking the apple>about this mac>system report and looking under hardware to see what port your usb is connected to.

also, i updated my lumagen after i disconnected all my input and output hdmi cables. the only cable connected to the lumagen was the usb provided to do the updates. disconnect the cables prior to turning on the lumagen.

it takes about 10 minutes depending on your internet connection

and this is the kind of support i have come to expect from jim...he is very generous with his time even when he is on holiday
A7mad78 likes this.
nbynw is online now  
post #4578 of 4881 Old 05-06-2019, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,077
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4575 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbynw View Post
i updated flawlessly with my 2018 macbook pro updated to mojave and running parallels/windows10. you need to ensure the correct port is selected and you can identify this by clicking the apple>about this mac>system report and looking under hardware to see what port your usb is connected to.

also, i updated my lumagen after i disconnected all my input and output hdmi cables. the only cable connected to the lumagen was the usb provided to do the updates. disconnect the cables prior to turning on the lumagen.

it takes about 10 minutes depending on your internet connection

and this is the kind of support i have come to expect from jim...he is very generous with his time even when he is on holiday
Thanks. I had previously found the port doing what you described but did not disconnect all cables and re-start. I will try that later. Thanks.
audioguy is online now  
post #4579 of 4881 Old 05-06-2019, 06:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Thanks. I had previously found the port doing what you described but did not disconnect all cables and re-start. I will try that later. Thanks.



Audioguy, i am fairly new to the lumagen as well, i had to load the full software update in lieu of just the latest updates on mine when i received it, mine was missing a few of the updates as well, but they have been coming out rather quickly as of late, as the latest updates that i had to do on mine would not take by themselves, it took a few more minutes of time but it worked fine, the second time i updated it with just the latest update and that worked just fine, i did not disconnect any of the hdmi feeds on mine, but may do so from now on, i was unaware of that until reading the posts.
SSnarski is offline  
post #4580 of 4881 Old 05-06-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,077
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4575 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSnarski View Post
Audioguy, i am fairly new to the lumagen as well, i had to load the full software update in lieu of just the latest updates on mine when i received it, mine was missing a few of the updates as well, but they have been coming out rather quickly as of late, as the latest updates that i had to do on mine would not take by themselves, it took a few more minutes of time but it worked fine, the second time i updated it with just the latest update and that worked just fine, i did not disconnect any of the hdmi feeds on mine, but may do so from now on, i was unaware of that until reading the posts.
Are you using a Mac or a PC?
audioguy is online now  
post #4581 of 4881 Old 05-06-2019, 06:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Are you using a Mac or a PC?
PC - laptop
SSnarski is offline  
post #4582 of 4881 Old 05-06-2019, 07:17 AM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,462
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
... I will call Randy tomorrow to see if he can help me untangle my inability to get my computer (Windows running on my Mac) to see the Lumagen. Once that occurs, I will be off to the races - and reach the finish once Craig gets here. Craig wailed me through getting DTM operational and I was able to enable and disable DTM while watching some 4K material. Very cool and I'm sure once I get this most recent update and once Craig gets here, it will be even more impressive. Lumagen/RS4500/Panamorph - one heck of a combination !!!
The following may not provide any new information, but as a reference for everyone:

I have not used a MAC running Windows emulation to update a Radiance, but from what I have been told if you assign a specific USB port to Windows from within MAC OS you should then be able to do the update from within the Windows emulator. You plug the USB cable into the assigned USB port and to the Radiance Pro. Then you find the "COM" port in the Control Panel, under "Devices and Printers" (for Windows 10) as usual for a Pro update. Once you select the assigned COM port in the updater (must be port 16 or less), the updater should work.

Portable PCs should be plugged in to wall power for the update.

Note: Some Windows 10 systems (but not all) need a newer device driver than the one loaded in the Pro's internal USB-to-Serial adapter. New device drivers can be found at FTDIChip.com, under drivers and "VCP" (Virtual COM Port). Our updater is a 32-bit .exe, so you should download the 32-bit driver, even if you are running 64-bit Windows (at least this worked for me).

Jim Peterson
Lumagen

Last edited by jrp; 05-06-2019 at 07:21 AM.
jrp is offline  
post #4583 of 4881 Old 05-06-2019, 07:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Dirk44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: leipzig germany
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hello Jim,

at first thank you for including the DTM from me also.
I have a very deeply 20" curved V6 screen 150" wide and really like the old 70 mm movies etc.

I know its a bit early for X was wishes, but can I ask you again: if its possible to include WARPING into the Pro ? sometimes ?
Only a 4 Corner set up maybe / at least?

All the best from Germany dirk
Eventidal likes this.
Dirk44 is offline  
post #4584 of 4881 Old 05-06-2019, 08:48 AM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,462
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk44 View Post
Hello Jim,

at first thank you for including the DTM from me also.
I have a very deeply 20" curved V6 screen 150" wide and really like the old 70 mm movies etc.

I know its a bit early for X was wishes, but can I ask you again: if its possible to include WARPING into the Pro ? sometimes ?
Only a 4 Corner set up maybe / at least?

All the best from Germany dirk
A full warping engine cannot be added to the Radiance Pro.

While there is a chance we could add a horizontal *only* warping, it is not on our to-do list. This would correct an "arc" on the left and right, but *not* top and bottom. Since pin-cushion, and barrel, distortion are, I believe, generally worse on the sides, this would add a mitigation for situations like the one you describe (although I have never heard of a 20" deep curve for a 150" screen. So maybe top/bottom distortion is a significant issue for you).

To be added to the to-do list we would need a number of people to request this feature be added. We would then need to investigate if the Vertical-Keystone-Correction logic could serve as a foundation for horizontal pin-cushion and barrel distortion correction (I believe this is likely true), and how much additional logic and time would be needed to implement it.

Never hurts to ask, and if we get more people requesting a horizontal barrel and pin-cushion feature we will consider adding it to the to-do list.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
jrp is offline  
post #4585 of 4881 Old 05-06-2019, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
A full warping engine cannot be added to the Radiance Pro.

While there is a chance we could add a horizontal *only* warping, it is not on our to-do list. This would correct an "arc" on the left and right, but *not* top and bottom. Since pin-cushion, and barrel, distortion are, I believe, generally worse on the sides, this would add a mitigation for situations like the one you describe (although I have never heard of a 20" deep curve for a 150" screen. So maybe top/bottom distortion is a significant issue for you).

To be added to the to-do list we would need a number of people to request this feature be added. We would then need to investigate if the Vertical-Keystone-Correction logic could serve as a foundation for horizontal pin-cushion and barrel distortion correction (I believe this is likely true), and how much additional logic and time would be needed to implement it.

Never hurts to ask, and if we get more people requesting a horizontal barrel and pin-cushion feature we will consider adding it to the to-do list.
Add me to the list Jim! I think all Paladin DCR and ISCO would highly appreciate this feature!
Eventidal is offline  
post #4586 of 4881 Old 05-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Dirk44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: leipzig germany
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thank you Jim, I know the bow is a little gaga, but I really like it.
I have my VW 1100 together with a Isco 1.25 Lens placed nearly middle of screen and minimum throw, that combination gives me "only" a correction difference of 2,5" Bottom from the middle to both sides.
Its hard to explain.
I'm not a technical guy, just a Hometheater geek, how is happy to have an expert in Oliver Klohs in the near for calibration etc.
Happy that the image is sharp in all corners for same reasons.
Looking curios forward to hear if other Lumagen user looking for warping!
Dirk44 is offline  
post #4587 of 4881 Old 05-06-2019, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
dlinsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
While there is a chance we could add a horizontal *only* warping, it is not on our to-do list. This would correct an "arc" on the left and right, but *not* top and bottom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
Add me to the list Jim! I think all Paladin DCR and ISCO would highly appreciate this feature!
I was thinking of asking the other day if this was on the todo list. I'm at min throw for the DCR, and the curve is negligible for 16:9 content but a little more obvious in the full corners if you ever need to look at straight line detail there. Zooming those out a little larger (but of course clipping content) would be great to see if it worked well. I do have space to move my projector back about 10" with the mount, or maybe 16" if I move to a shelf, and long term will likely do that though. I'd love to build a shelf / hushbox solution to use high lamp as the lamp ages on my RS3000.
dlinsley is online now  
post #4588 of 4881 Old 05-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Member
 
DenverMDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
Add me to the list Jim! I think all Paladin DCR and ISCO would highly appreciate this feature!
Me as well! Pincushion adjustment would be much appreciated

Dual Denon 5200’s for 9.1.4, Emotiva IPS-1, Crown XLS 1502, Aircom S10 cooling fans | Definitive Technology BP2002, CLR 2002, BP-2x and BPX surround and heights, PSA 3600i dual 18’s (1), PSA xs15se's (2) Definitive Technology PF15TL (2)| JVC RS500, Oppo UHD-203 player, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242, Custom 150" screen with Seymour XD material, Nvidia Shield, Panamax 5200
DenverMDM is offline  
post #4589 of 4881 Old 05-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
cargen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverMDM View Post
Me as well! Pincushion adjustment would be much appreciated
What is 'horizontal *only* warping' ???

Please define.

Dumb as mud,

Chris

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
cargen is offline  
post #4590 of 4881 Old 05-06-2019, 11:34 PM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 2,876
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
What is 'horizontal *only* warping' ???

Please define.
Jim did, it means just adjusting the arc at the sides of the screen, not at the top and bottom:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
A full warping engine cannot be added to the Radiance Pro.

While there is a chance we could add a horizontal *only* warping, it is not on our to-do list. This would correct an "arc" on the left and right, but *not* top and bottom.
I'm guessing, but I believe the reason for horizontal being more feasible is that it is *relatively* easily done on a line by line basis to the image (the image is received in lines of pixels) . At its most basic you just compress each line slightly about the centre of the screen. Vertical warp (to correct top and bottom pincushion) is much more complicated as the pixels need to change across many lines; it can only effectively be done on complete frames as when you get to the bottom half of the frame you need to pull pixels forward from many lines "in the future".
bobof is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Video Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off