New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3121Likes

post #4651 of 4878 Old 05-25-2019, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post
Do you have to send the Pro back to Lumagen to add the 18ghz cards?
No. It's a very easy install! Got mine by mail.
OzHDHT, Craig Peer and llang269 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 4878 Old 05-25-2019, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I had issues trying to removing the screws from the old card so I sent it back to them. Came back just fine--and quickly. Great service.

Might replace another input card shortly. Will have them do it from the start. YMMV.

Sony XBR-75Z9D | Lumagen Radiance Pro 4446 | Marantz AV8805 | Marantz MM8077 (2) | Denon AVR4311ci | Denon AVR3311ci | Oppo UDP-205 | Roku Ultra | NVidia Shield | Joseph Audio Pulsar (2) | Joseph Audio RM7si (6) | Martin Logan Motion AFX (4) | JL Audio e112 SW | RSL Speedwoofer 10 SW | Goldenear Aon 3 (2) |
post #4653 of 4878 Old 05-26-2019, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz View Post
I had issues trying to removing the screws from the old card so I sent it back to them. Came back just fine--and quickly. Great service.
One of my cards was torqued really high, and I stripped the screws even with my Wiha and Wera screw drivers. I did eventually get it out, but let Jim know in case it was an issue on the production line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4654 of 4878 Old 05-26-2019, 10:24 AM

I had to use my electric screwdriver, they were so damn tight. But in the end everything worked like a charm.
post #4655 of 4878 Old 05-26-2019, 09:13 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I ran my first calibration today using Chromapure v3 with the radiance pro; Rec.709 125-point just to start, and all sources have strange colors now.

I’ve been through all the settings and can’t figure out what is the problem. Here is a picture from an OPPO menu.

Thanks for any insight.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #4656 of 4878 Old 05-27-2019, 05:20 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I ran my first calibration today using Chromapure v3 with the radiance pro; Rec.709 125-point just to start, and all sources have strange colors now.

I’ve been through all the settings and can’t figure out what is the problem. Here is a picture from an OPPO menu.

Thanks for any insight.

Mark

This morning I thought to check the other display connected to the Radiance Pro, and it has the same issue, so it is not a display setting that I changed prior to calibration. I am thinking this must be some setting in the CMS section, since that is what the ChromaPure v3 Autocal calibration modifies?

I have a pre-calibration backup file I can re-load so I can run the calibration again, but it would be nice to know what is causing the issue.

The only thing I can think of that I may have done incorrectly was to change the HDR / 2020 CMS from CMS 1 to CMS 0 prior to calibration, and then reverted that change post-calibration. I am not sure if that guidance should apply to ChromaPure Autocal.

I only ran a 125-point calibration to test out the process, so not a big deal to run it again, but it would be nice to know what I did wrong.

Edit: I figured out what I did wrong: I ran another calibration without changing the HDR / 2020 CMS from CMS 1 to CMS 0 prior to calibration, and it looks fine.

I know the guidance for SDR2020 calibrations has the recommendation to change the 601/709 CMS from CMS 0 to CMS 1 prior to calibration, and then reverted that change post-calibration. I guess I got mixed up between HDR and SDR calibrations.

Thanks.

Mark

Last edited by giomania; 05-27-2019 at 11:58 AM.
post #4657 of 4878 Old 05-27-2019, 10:24 AM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 938
A couple comments on some posts, and news on the next Dynamic Tone Mapping release:

The Radiance Pro CMS only does what it is told. If you have color issues after a calibration then the calibration is suspect. The only calibration software (at this point) that I would recommend as good enough to do a 3D LUT, especially for Rec 2020, is Lightspace. I know Portrait Displays has hired a Color Scientist to improve their 3D LUT Rec 2020 calibration. So I expect Calman will have a much improved 3D LUT capability at come point in the future. My attempts at 3D LUTs with Chromapure did not work out for me.

For the Lumagen Demo Theater I use Lightspace for 3D LUTs. I have also used Calman, but did not have great results for 3D LUTs using Calman. If you have a projector with good Rec 709, and Rec 2020, response to its Gamut limit (such as the RS4500) a 1D LUT may be sufficient for excellent performance.

In the Lumagen theater Radiance Pro I have two different Calman calibrations (1D LUT only, with one each for SDR and HDR) that look good. I also have a full 3D LUT for SDR and another for HDR using Lightspace. I use the 3D LUT calibration on daily basis, and believe it is better than the 1D only calibration.

The advantage of using Lightspace to do 3D LUTs for our RS4500 is that I can set the Color Mode in the RS4500 to Off. This bypasses its internal CMS and in my measurements gives a slightly larger Gamut for Green and Red, but necessitates doing a 3D LUT calibration. I use this for both SDR Rec 709 and HDR Rec 2020. At least in our RS4500 the Rec 709 mode shows a slightly under-saturated Green, but the Color Mode = Off allows me to get a fully saturated Green for Rec 709 using Lightspace 3D LUT.

For reference I use a CR-100 tri-stimulus probe calibrated against Kris Deering's CR-250 spectro-radiometer for the Lumagen RS4500. For the 3D LUTs I did a 21x21x21 profile run (took about 4 hours each since I increased the minimum measurement time).

====

When we change Tone Mapping, if you see color changes, the issue is in the projector/TV, and/or potentially in the calibration. The Tone Mapping modifies red, green, and blue by exactly the same percentage and so cannot change the color. Of course intensity changes the perception of the color, but this would be a change in perceived saturation as the intensity is changed rather than a change in color (e.g. red versus green).

Precision issues in the projector can also come into play. For example some projectors that are DCI based truncate to 8-bit internally. If you have a dark color (say 30 in the 16 to 235 range used for 8 bit color) a change might affect only one channel. This is due to how "fractional bits" come into play. In the above case if only red changed by one LSB it changes the percentage of red from (30-16)/(235-16) = 6.39% to (29-16)/(235-16) = 5.94%. Then since Green stays at 6.39% (assuming near the gray vector) in the example the percentage change versus red is (6.39%-5.94%)/6.39% = 7%. This artifact of the limited pipeline precision away form red due to the truncation to 8-bits in the projector can be a noticeable color shift.

In contrast the calibration pipeline of the Radiance Pro is 12-bits (and much higher in critical spots) this type of precision error would be no more than 0.44% (1/16 that of 8-bit) and so is very likely not noticeable. In testing with the RS4500 we see no color shifts due to changes in Tone Mapping. Of course we do see changes in the intensity due to the improvements in tone mapping affecting the transfer function.

====

We have have been testing the next version of Dynamic Tone Mapping, and it is IMO (and others) yet another improvement in the Radiance Pro's DTM. This upcoming release includes a new blending algorithm between dark and bright transfer functions and well as additional improvements in scene detection.

We should have a release with the new DTM, and a couple other improvements, in the next couple of weeks.
turls, Mark_H, giomania and 13 others like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #4658 of 4878 Old 05-27-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4571 Post(s)
Liked: 3340
I'm a newbie Radiance Pro owner but am more than a bit impressed by the ongoing support and upgrades that Jim and his team provide. Someone made the comment that the Lumagen Radiance Pro is the Trinnov of video. At this point, it would be hard to argue that......and mine hasn't even been calibrated yet !!!!
post #4659 of 4878 Old 05-27-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6617 Post(s)
Liked: 7690
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I'm a newbie Radiance Pro owner but am more than a bit impressed by the ongoing support and upgrades that Jim and his team provide. Someone made the comment that the Lumagen Radiance Pro is the Trinnov of video. At this point, it would be hard to argue that......and mine hasn't even been calibrated yet !!!!
Agreed. The improvement of the Radiance Pro via firmware upgrades over the last year has been amazing. And support via email is 2nd to none ! Thanks to DTM, I'm enjoying my RS4500 and 4k movies more than ever !
post #4660 of 4878 Old 05-27-2019, 01:29 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series

I’m having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the storage of multiple calibrations using auto cal with Chromapure v3.

I ran 125 point SDR calibration just to make sure everything is working and now that I’m going to run a 729 point SDR

After that I want to run a 729 point HDR calibration, but want to make sure the SDR calibration isn’t over written.

How does this work? Automagically in CMS memory, or do I need to change to a different CMS before running the HDR calibration?

I realize CP3 is not ideal for 3DLUT with HDR but it’s all I have and it’s better than nothing.

Thank you for any help.

post #4661 of 4878 Old 05-27-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
I’m having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the storage of multiple calibrations using auto cal with Chromapure v3.

I ran 125 point SDR calibration just to make sure everything is working and now that I’m going to run a 729 point SDR

After that I want to run a 729 point HDR calibration, but want to make sure the SDR calibration isn’t over written.

How does this work? Automagically in CMS memory, or do I need to change to a different CMS before running the HDR calibration?

I realize CP3 is not ideal for 3DLUT with HDR but it’s all I have and it’s better than nothing.

Thank you for any help.

AFAIK, if you use the Radiance Pro Tone Mapping the projector only needs to be calibrated for gamma 2.4, not HDR ST.2084 PQ. However, the colour profile needs to be BT.2020 or DCI-P3.
giomania likes this.
post #4662 of 4878 Old 05-27-2019, 02:39 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
AFAIK, if you use the Radiance Pro Tone Mapping the projector only needs to be calibrated for gamma 2.4, not HDR ST.2084 PQ. However, the colour profile needs to be BT.2020 or DCI-P3.
Thanks. I will save the configuration files individually before and after the HDR calibration just to be sure. That way, if I screw something up, just re-load the configuration.

I am planning on using a separate profiles in my JVC RS540 projector, both with Profile Off, Filter On, gamma 2.4, and one with ~14 fL for SDR and one with whatever maximum Lumens I can get for HDR.

Mark
post #4663 of 4878 Old 05-28-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
The Lumagen automatically stores calibrations in CMS0 when it detects a SDR input and CMS01 when it detects a HDR input. If you only used SDR709 and HDR2020 calibrations, this would be all you would have to concern yourself with. SDR2020 calibrations introduce a complication. The Lumagen detects a HDR input and so will store the calibration in CMS01, which would overwrite any HDR2020 calibration you would have there. For this reason, we recommend that you copy any HDR2020 calibration to another CMS, so that it can be retrieved at any time. Also, you should copy the SDR2020 calibration to another CMS as well for the same reason.

For playback use CMS0 for SDR709 and CMS01 for both HDR2020 and SDR2020. Just copy the stored SDR2020 or HDR2020 to CMS01 prior to playback.

I hope that this clarifies the issue.

In the next release we will offer a wizard that automates much of the a Lumagen auto-cal process. We have had a lot of support issues with this. The problem appears to be either corrupted installations not related to auto-cal or user error in following the documented steps. I am sympathetic to this because there are a lot of steps required, so it is easy to miss one, which is why we are automating much of this to simplify the process.
turls, giomania, kaotikr1 and 2 others like this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #4664 of 4878 Old 05-28-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Edit: I figured out what I did wrong: I ran another calibration without changing the HDR / 2020 CMS from CMS 1 to CMS 0 prior to calibration, and it looks fine.

I know the guidance for SDR2020 calibrations has the recommendation to change the 601/709 CMS from CMS 0 to CMS 1 prior to calibration, and then reverted that change post-calibration. I guess I got mixed up between HDR and SDR calibrations.
If you have an active HDR-UHD input when you begin the Lumagen will automatically select CMS01 and you would have had no problem.

This is a good example of what I discussed below.
giomania likes this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #4665 of 4878 Old 05-28-2019, 11:41 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post
The Lumagen automatically stores calibrations in CMS0 when it detects a SDR input and CMS01 when it detects a HDR input. If you only used SDR709 and HDR2020 calibrations, this would be all you would have to concern yourself with. SDR2020 calibrations introduce a complication. The Lumagen detects a HDR input and so will store the calibration in CMS01, which would overwrite any HDR2020 calibration you would have there. For this reason, we recommend that you copy any HDR2020 calibration to another CMS, so that it can be retrieved at any time. Also, you should copy the SDR2020 calibration to another CMS as well for the same reason.

For playback use CMS0 for SDR709 and CMS01 for both HDR2020 and SDR2020. Just copy the stored SDR2020 or HDR2020 to CMS01 prior to playback.

I hope that this clarifies the issue.

In the next release we will offer a wizard that automates much of the a Lumagen auto-cal process. We have had a lot of support issues with this. The problem appears to be either corrupted installations not related to auto-cal or user error in following the documented steps. I am sympathetic to this because there are a lot of steps required, so it is easy to miss one, which is why we are automating much of this to simplify the process.
A clarification. The Lumagen stores the 3DLUT being uploaded into whatever CMS is currently active, and it automatically can switch CMS based on several different criteria. CMS0 for REC709 and CMS1 for REC2020 is the default behaviour though. However, it isn't a given that CMS0 and CMS1 correspond to SDR and HDR, as the actual CMS switched to for each input combination is configured in the "Output" screen in the Lumagen.

---

As an aside @jrp it is a bit of a shame there isn't a LUT upload command in the API that can upload to a specified CMS slot instead of the currently active slot. or a command to just switch CMS for LUT upload. For people using something like Lightspace to target multiple LUTS from profiles it is a bit of an annoyance to have to replicate input states or change the output settings just to upload a LUT to a particular slot.
giomania likes this.
post #4666 of 4878 Old 05-29-2019, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
CMS0 for REC709 and CMS1 for REC2020 is the default behaviour though.
But Tom wrote
Quote:
a HDR input and so will store the calibration in CMS01
So I wonder if that was a typo or does the Pro really have different CMS grouped slots for 709 / 2020?
(CMS 0...9 = 709 and CMS 01...09 = 2020 ... )

_________
Regards,
Harry

Last edited by *Harry*; 05-29-2019 at 02:40 AM.
post #4667 of 4878 Old 05-29-2019, 03:21 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Harry* View Post
But Tom wrote So I wonder if that was a typo or does the Pro really have different CMS grouped slots for 709 / 2020?
(CMS 0...9 = 709 and CMS 01...09 = 2020 ... )
No, there aren't two groups of slots, that would be a minor typo from Tom I believe. It is 8 CMS slots, CMS0-7 shared for for REC709/2020 - and 3D duties also if you calibrate that (typically only 709). By default all REC709 sources are pointed at CMS0 and all REC2020 sources at CMS1. This means that SDR2020 and HDR2020 sources would both point at CMS1 by default - so these CMS are not really for HDR vs SDR, but for REC709 vs REC2020 colourspace input. While all HDR tends to be 2020, not all SDR is 709 thanks to devices like the Panasonic players. Many of the HDR settings reside in the CMS slot, but are only activated when the input is HDR.

See the following from Lumagen manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LumagenMemories.png
Views:	139
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	2572996  
giomania and *Harry* like this.
post #4668 of 4878 Old 05-31-2019, 07:02 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop my feedback in regards latest DTM feature that Lumagen has developed, it is indeed increased the overall performance of how the image is processed and displayed, I've rewatched few common titles (Earth 2, Dynasties, Polar and other movies) and I must say it works now much better, i.e. the overall pictures looks even more popout, no crushing blacks or whites. I like that you have introduced a DTM value setting, which identifies how aggressively you want to apply this new algorithm, I remain this watching at 5 but sometimes I change to 6.
@jrp very satisfied with what you've implemented so far.
dlinsley, bobof, A7mad78 and 1 others like this.

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)

Last edited by SoulOfUniverse; 05-31-2019 at 11:22 AM.
post #4669 of 4878 Old 05-31-2019, 11:22 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
On P3 matrix conversion:

- We set the P3 output up to target Gamma of 2.4. This is to match the Gamma we use for HDR-to-SDR2020 output. It allows one "P3 D65 Gamma 2.4" CMS to be used for 709 source and HDR output as "SDR P3 D65."

- You need to select the "DCI P3 D65" mode for the calibration software as shown in the SoulOfUniverse's post.

- The only color format defined for P3 is RGB. If your TV/projector supports P3, and pays attention to the HDMI Info Frame P3 flag, then you might not be required to do a 3D LUT calibration if you output P3 in RGB color format. If you output P3 in any other color format you need to do a 3D LUT calibration since there is no standard for the conversion to YCbCr. Typically you will need to do a calibration for TV/projectors that do not have a specific P3 D65 mode.

- The matrix conversion comes before the 3D LUT. It is in the same "RGB Linear Gamma" portion of the pipeline where the HDR Intensity Mapping resides.

- You must set the output "Colorspace" as P3 (output as P3 always enable the matrix conversion from the source format), and output color format (typically RGB for P3) *before* doing the calibration since it affects the calibration

- If you want P3 output for both 709 and 2020, calibrate for "DCI P3 D65" for CMS0 and then copy to CMS1. This allows you to tweak the CMS differently for SDR and for HDR sources while using the same 1D and 3D LUT.

====

For output of HDR as 709, or 709 as 2020, the matrix conversion is optional. We recommend turning it on if you plan to do a calibration as this will give you netter results than jut using the 3D LUT to do the conversion. If you have not done a calibration we recommend turning the matrix conversion on. If you have already done a calibration and turn matrix conversion on your calibration will be voided.

====

Please note: It is early in the game for P3. I suggest waiting until the dust has settled a bit if you plan to hire in a calibrator to use the new matrix conversions. If you do your own calibrations we believe the conversion are working correctly. So please do calibrate your system and let us know your results. I believe we will have enough feedback in the next week or two to confirm all is working with P3 and so if you plan to hire a calibrator to use the new matrix conversion I think a couple of weeks from now should be good.
Has anyone tried this with a JVC RS540 (X790x7900) projector? I see from the JVC manual that the "Cinema 2" profile is described as "Color space that is close to that of the DCI standard". That said, I am guessing that this color space is not technically a DCI-P3 (RGB) Colorspace and I doubt the projector honors the HDMI Info Frame P3 flag.

Assuming both of these are true, as Jim recommends, I would need to use I could use the "Cinema 2" profile, as that is (apparently) closet to DCI-P3 Colorspace, and set the Radiance™ Pro output at YCbCr 4:2:2. The problem I have is this method requires a 3D LUT calibration, and I experienced issues with creating a 1D & 3DLUT when attempting an SDR2020 calibration using ChromaPure. The issues was the 3DLUT, because when I ran only the 1DLUT, it worked fine. The 1D & 3DLUT worked fine using ChromaPure for an SDR709 calibration.

I successfully ran three calibrations, saved to three different CMS memories, but am just wondering if this option would be better. I currently have an SDR709 for CMS0, and SDR2020 for CMS1, and an SDR709 for 3D on CMS3. I created the separate 3D calibration because I strapped the 3D glasses to the Colorimeter. I still need to calibrate my LG B7A OLED TV, so that will use two more of the CMS memories.

Mark
post #4670 of 4878 Old 05-31-2019, 11:29 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Quote:
Has anyone tried this with a JVC RS540 (X790x7900) projector? I see from the JVC manual that the "Cinema 2" profile is described as "Color space that is close to that of the DCI standard". That said, I am guessing that this color space is not technically a DCI-P3 (RGB) Colorspace and I doubt the projector honors the HDMI Info Frame P3 flag.

Assuming both of these are true, as Jim recommends, I would need to use I could use the "Cinema 2" profile, as that is (apparently) closet to DCI-P3 Colorspace, and set the Radiance Pro output at YCbCr 4:2:2. The problem I have is this method requires a 3D LUT calibration, and I experienced issues with creating a 1D & 3DLUT when attempting an SDR2020 calibration using ChromaPure. The issues was the 3DLUT, because when I ran only the 1DLUT, it worked fine. The 1D & 3DLUT worked fine using ChromaPure for an SDR709 calibration.

I successfully ran three calibrations, saved to three different CMS memories, but am just wondering if this option would be better. I currently have an SDR709 for CMS0, and SDR2020 for CMS1, and an SDR709 for 3D on CMS3. I created the separate 3D calibration because I strapped the 3D glasses to the Colorimeter. I still need to calibrate my LG B7A OLED TV, so that will use two more of the CMS memories.

Mark
Hi Mark,
Instead of assuming by manual that the color space 2 is the closest to DCI-P3 gamut , I would run the probe on primaries and secondaries colour points with all existing color presets available on your JVC. You simply can do this in ChromaPure in precalibration section as I remember. What is the most important is to have a good RGB separation, as I remember chroma pure doesn't provide you this measuring, I use lightspace for all my calibrations and find this the best software at the moment to use for 3D lut calibrations it gives just very good results.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
giomania and loggeo like this.

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
post #4671 of 4878 Old 06-01-2019, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 29
As an owner of SONY laser projector with dynamic black set to ON, I'd like to know if there's a possibility to turn on 1 white pixel on radiance to avoid laser shutdown in all-black images.
….and eventually how to turn it OFF.
post #4672 of 4878 Old 06-01-2019, 02:33 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanop View Post
As an owner of SONY laser projector with dynamic black set to ON, I'd like to know if there's a possibility to turn on 1 white pixel on radiance to avoid laser shutdown in all-black images.

Not sure what you relate to, in real content you never have a completely black scene, as in regards the patterns you can toggle to show white pixel in the upper top corner when you do a calibration .

post #4673 of 4878 Old 06-01-2019, 03:31 AM

Quote:
As far as I remember you can. Patrick made this feature available within the test patterns for black level calibration.
post #4674 of 4878 Old 06-01-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was finally able to get my (new to me but refurbished) PC to connect to the Lumagen (after some assistance from Jim Peterson) and download the latest firmware, with the attendant improvements in DTM. Last night we watched the latest "How To Train Your Dragon" movie.

It really is hard to imagine that film looking any better on any projector (I also have a Panamorph Paladin). I run my projector on mid-laser and based upon the projected images we viewed last night, that is more than enough light.

And, this is using the calibration that existed in my JVC (done my ChadB) with the Lumagen just doing the tone mapping. Anxious to see what improvements will come when Craig Rounds is able to make it to my home and get the entire link calibrated. But even if that never happens, it really is a stunning image - just stunning.

And FWIW, even though this is probably considered a "kid's movie" we both enjoyed it. Animated movies have come a long, long way since I first saw the early Disney movies in the 50's.
post #4675 of 4878 Old 06-01-2019, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Quote:
I was finally able to get my (new to me but refurbished) PC to connect to the Lumagen (after some assistance from Jim Peterson) and download the latest firmware, with the attendant improvements in DTM. Last night we watched the latest "How To Train Your Dragon" movie.

It really is hard to imagine that film looking any better on any projector (I also have a Panamorph Paladin). I run my projector on mid-laser and based upon the projected images we viewed last night, that is more than enough light.

And, this is using the calibration that existed in my JVC (done my ChadB) with the Lumagen just doing the tone mapping. Anxious to see what improvements will come when Craig Rounds is able to make it to my home and get the entire link calibrated. But even if that never happens, it really is a stunning image - just stunning.

And FWIW, even though this is probably considered a "kid's movie" we both enjoyed it. Animated movies have come a long, long way since I first saw the early Disney movies in the 50's.
1. no soul should ever feel the need to apologize for "how to train your dragon", it's a clever, beautifully done dreamworks production, and the same goes for ratatouille!

2. can you tell me about your pc > lumagen setup, very interested, have been toying around with a similar setup and i'm close to bald from pulling my hair out!

thanks!
llang269 likes this.
post #4676 of 4878 Old 06-01-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
1. no soul should ever feel the need to apologize for "how to train your dragon", it's a clever, beautifully done dreamworks production, and the same goes for ratatouille!

2. can you tell me about your pc > lumagen setup, very interested, have been toying around with a similar setup and i'm close to bald from pulling my hair out!

thanks!
I just used the PC to upgrade to the Lumagen to the latest firmware
post #4677 of 4878 Old 06-01-2019, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Quote:
I just used the PC to upgrade to the Lumagen to the latest firmware
ah, gotchya, thanks just the same!
post #4678 of 4878 Old 06-02-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
As far as I remember you can. Patrick made this feature available within the test patterns for black level calibration.
Yes, I've read of it and I hoped there was a similar tip for normal video because while watching a movie, with black screen frames in it, SONY shut down the laser and power it up again when frame content is above black level; you have OFF-ON effect which is very distracting.
post #4679 of 4878 Old 06-02-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
Not sure what you relate to, in real content you never have a completely black scene, as in regards the patterns you can toggle to show white pixel in the upper top corner when you do a calibration .

SONY algorithm probably shut down laser power not at 0 RGB level but a bit more higher and this is distracting with dark movies like "The cat o' nine tails" or "Chain reaction", just for naming 2 of them.
post #4680 of 4878 Old 06-02-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, I've read of it and I hoped there was a similar tip for normal video because while watching a movie, with black screen frames in it, SONY shut down the laser and power it up again when frame content is above black level; you have OFF-ON effect which is very distracting.
I love this feature.... If you don´t then simply set the dimming to limited or off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page