New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3082Likes

post #4741 of 4851 Old 06-06-2019, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
At the moment Zidoo is the only one box I know, which has great quality in playing back ripped 4k HDR movies, especially with the NAS setup. It plays via its own native player, which doesn't have issues in passing through the raw audio, also passing correct colorspace and HDR flag information with resolution and framerate.
The only downside is that you loose all the stat from the native KODI player, since you use ZDMC (fork of Kodi) to playback video files, it doesn't interact with Kodi library stats and you don't have those stats like how many movies you've watched, last saved bookmark and etc. Also ZIDOO boxes are not that fast, I wish they would be faster.
Also I don't like that it doesn't have chromecast inbuilt and its Youtube application doesn't have a capability of 4K playback only 1080p.
That's why I'm looking at alternatives, and NShield is the fastest Android box and yes it is fast, but they still got bugs in regards the native playback (resolution isn't switching natively and is always fixed). Also it has some instability in regards how the remote works, sometimes it doesn't respond at all.
As for Zidoo there been banding issues, but its been resolved with the latest firmware, I really compared the quality playback from OPPO UDP-203 and Zidoo X9S, and I couldn't tell any difference at all. So for the last 9 months I haven't used OPPO at all, all my movie library is served with nas416play 24TB .

A few things:

Are you using 18 Ghz input cards on your Lumagen?

Have you enabled developer and turned on Colorimetry in the Nvidia to allow for colorspace switching?

Do you set up the Nvidia input on the Lumagen to limit 1080p or do you use 9 Ghz (or with 18 Gzh cards) 18 Ghz? Or do you perform some other steps to allow for correct resolution?

Sounds like with the demise of the Oppo (USB capable input) I may be left with using the Zidoo if I find that I cannot make my existing hardware work.

JVC RS500 - Stewart Firehawk - Lumagen Radiance Pro - Anthem D2V - Revel Salon speakers - SV Sound SB13 Ultra sub - Tivo/Nvidia Shield TV/Panasonic UB900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 4851 Old 06-06-2019, 10:10 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post
A few things:

Are you using 18 Ghz input cards on your Lumagen?

Have you enabled developer and turned on Colorimetry in the Nvidia to allow for colorspace switching?

Do you set up the Nvidia input on the Lumagen to limit 1080p or do you use 9 Ghz (or with 18 Gzh cards) 18 Ghz? Or do you perform some other steps to allow for correct resolution?

Sounds like with the demise of the Oppo (USB capable input) I may be left with using the Zidoo if I find that I cannot make my existing hardware work.

Yes sorry forgot to mention I use 18Ghz input and output modules in Lumagen, yes I did enabled colorspace option in the Developer option. In Lumagen inputs are not limited.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
post #4743 of 4851 Old 06-06-2019, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes sorry forgot to mention I use 18Ghz input and output modules in Lumagen, yes I did enabled colorspace option in the Developer option. In Lumagen inputs are not limited.

So, I guess my simple question, at least I hope it is: If using Kodi/Nvidia Shield -> Lumagen Pro with 18 Ghz input cards -> projector or other HDR capable device for HDR file playback are there still reasons to go with the Zidoo X9S? Currently I'm using both USB drives connected via a USB hub as well as a Synology NAS. I'm assuming both would be supported by the Zidoo.

JVC RS500 - Stewart Firehawk - Lumagen Radiance Pro - Anthem D2V - Revel Salon speakers - SV Sound SB13 Ultra sub - Tivo/Nvidia Shield TV/Panasonic UB900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4744 of 4851 Old 06-06-2019, 11:13 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
So, I guess my simple question, at least I hope it is: If using Kodi/Nvidia Shield -> Lumagen Pro with 18 Ghz input cards -> projector or other HDR capable device for HDR file playback are there still reasons to go with the Zidoo X9S? Currently I'm using both USB drives connected via a USB hub as well as a Synology NAS. I'm assuming both would be supported by the Zidoo.

I am catching up on the Nvidia Shield thread, and found this post:

Quote:
Hey guys remind me of something please, do I have to set the Shield to 1080p for resolution switching to work with Kodi? I know that was the case with Emby, but thought Kodi was different. I have my Shield set to 2160p, when watching a 1080p file Kodi only changed the refresh rate, the tv was receiving a 2160p signal.

If this is the case then that means netflix and prime will always be at 1080p. Which is why I have it at 2160p. For some reason I thought Kodi solved this issue.
No, you do not have to set the Shield to 1080p. You can leave the Shield set to 4K. If you're using Kodi, you have to go into settings and "whitelist" the appropriate resolutions. Then it will switch to 1080p as needed.
This explains the reason for whitelisting resolutions in Kodi. With MrMC, it is a little simpler, as reported here.

Also, someone created an app to control refresh rate of apps: https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...fset=4#6023111

Before you purchase another media player, you may want to hit this link to the 4K media player thread.

Now, to bring this back on topic...can't wait for the new DTM updates coming soon!

Mark

Last edited by giomania; 06-06-2019 at 12:12 PM.
post #4745 of 4851 Old 06-06-2019, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

This explains the reason for whitelisting resolutions.

Also, someone created an app to control refresh rate of apps: https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...fset=4#6023111

Before you purchase another media player, you may want to hit this link to the 4K media player thread.

Now, to bring this back on topic...can't wait for the new DTM updates coming soon!

Mark

Well it's both better to go with what you've got, than to take a flyer on a new piece of gear. So, I've ordered up the 18 Ghz input card from Lumagen. At least people on this forum have gotten that to work with the Nvidia. And Jim from Lumagen does the best support of any company I've run into for us in this often complex world of video. Now that I think of it, Lumagen literally coddles us, compared to Apple, despite the praise often raining down on them ('course that's by comparison to other computer firms). Finally, I've got Alexa and Harmony Elite working nicely (well mostly) with the Nvida while I'm quite certain it would be less likely to have success with the Zidoo, or other devices.

giomania likes this.

post #4746 of 4851 Old 06-06-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
At the moment the most reliable and proven android box is x9s or any ZIDOO box based on the same chip.
Would the Z9S also be a good choice?
post #4747 of 4851 Old 06-06-2019, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 243
@jrp
After some more testing and revising my parameters, I think we don't need to look further at 0:00:18 of The MEG.
But the clipping ~00:01:13 remains. Also the strange brightness/saturation in the other two scenes remains.

At the moment I prefer setting Display Max Light to 800 Nits.

Projection: JVC DLA-NX9
VP/Calibration: Lumagen Radiance Pro, LightSpace CMS, x-rite i1 Pro 2, x-rite i1 Display 3
post #4748 of 4851 Old 06-06-2019, 01:43 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post

The X9S (which has the RTD1295 SoC) is not produced any longer, so existing inventory or used would be the only options.

The Z9S (which has the RTD1296 SoC) is a fine choice. There is not much difference between the two chips, and might as well get the one that might be supported longer.

Check availability for both and decide, but do take a peek at the spreadsheet in the thread I posted above if you need a certain thing supported or if performance with a certain App is important to you.

Mark

Edit: Chip M/N Corrections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mikela likes this.

Last edited by giomania; 06-07-2019 at 07:47 AM.
post #4749 of 4851 Old 06-06-2019, 01:49 PM
.NET Solution Architect

Quote:

This explains the reason for whitelisting resolutions in Kodi. With MrMC, it is a little simpler, as reported here.

Mark
Hey Mark I've just figured out how to make Autoswitch work with Kodi and Nvidia Shield 4K via Lumagen

Here are the screenshots
So you have to select Recommended resolution in Nvidia, make sure it is staying at @59 recommend FPS
Then in Kodi in System settings in Video section you have to actually whitelist all available resolutions by opening the window and marking all of them.
Then in Player settings for Video select to change frame rate always
And now Autoswitch works as expected, audio passtrhough works as expected, no dropped frames and it uses native player of Kodi, which I always wanted. So I am continuing to test it at the moment happy.
Also don't forget to select auto switch colorspace in Developer options.

giomania likes this.

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)

Last edited by SoulOfUniverse; 06-07-2019 at 02:12 AM.
post #4750 of 4851 Old 06-06-2019, 02:10 PM
.NET Solution Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
Yes, I've mentioned pros and cons

post #4751 of 4851 Old 06-06-2019, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 33
DTM and Sony 5000

can some Sony 5000 users please post their settings when using DTM?
In particular the Max light setting and maybe the NITS you get?

thanks, roland
post #4752 of 4851 Old 06-06-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
take a peek at the spreadsheet in the thread I posted above if you need a certain thing supported or if performance with a certain App is important to you.
What a great resource!

Thanks
giomania likes this.
post #4753 of 4851 Old 06-06-2019, 07:38 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Hey Mark I've just figured out how to make Autoswitch work with Kodi and Nvidia Shield 4K via Lumagen
http://imgur.com/a/actkluY

Here are the screenshots
So you have to select Recommended resolution in Nvidia, make sure it is staying at @59 recommend FPS
Then in Kodi in System settings in Video section you have to actually whitelist all available resolutions by opening the window and marking all of them.
And now Autoswitch works as expected, audio passtrhough works as expected, no dropped frames and it uses native player of Kodi, which I always wanted. So I am continuing to test it at the moment happy.

After setting this up, Kodi is not totally working for me; it won’t send 23.98 Hz. MrMC will send 23.98 Hz, but sends only PCM, not bitstream. Ugh.

Thankfully I have my OPPO which just works.

Mark

post #4754 of 4851 Old 06-08-2019, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKlammer View Post
At the moment I prefer setting Display Max Light to 800 Nits.
Hi,
At 120 - 130 nits in the production environment, I think the setting of 800 for Max Light in the Radiance for DTM operation is very good.

For Sony projectors that use the HDR tuning over the color space "Userdef 5" must be checked when using the DTM, if the base gamma (SDR) in the upper range is not significantly below 2.4 and correct here if necessary. This HDR tuning was designed for static and not for dynamic HDR.
Peter
KarlKlammer likes this.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, Calman 5, HCFR, Colorfacts
V/P: Lumagen Radiance Pro, DVDO AVlab TPG
Meters: JETI Spectraval 1501, Klein K-10A, I1Pro2, I1D3
post #4755 of 4851 Old 06-08-2019, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 66
New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series

I found that in 1000 nits movies the best max light is about 400-450

But when I play a 4000 nits movies like the meg the best max light is around 700-800 nits and i prefer 700 such the scene 01:13 looks batter in and reduce the clipping still there but much batter and the back ground looks great

Here pic in 450 nits DML

and here a pic in 750 nits DML

I hope the pic reflect what I see in real

So I think if there option in DTM to keep 2 different DML for 1000 nits content and 4000 nits content it will be good I think to tone map properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by A7mad78; 06-08-2019 at 05:08 AM.
post #4756 of 4851 Old 06-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here are the screenshots

What I've found in my Kodi/Nvidia Shield/Lumagen Pro environment is that when switching from one input (say Tivo) to the Nvidia switching is quick. However, to play a file of any format if I use Kodi settings under Player ... Playback ... Adjust display refresh rate set to Always there is a delay in showing the video (though sound is immediate) of 15-20 seconds. This is independent of whether or not I set Sync Playback to Display on or off. If the Adjust display refresh rate is off, the video displays immediately. However in this case many videos I'll watch will not be smooth at all (rather jerky), so I'm assuming the frame rate of the source is not being handled correctly. I'm wondering if there's some setting in the Nvidia that should be altered instead, to allow correct frame rate matching with Kodi, avoiding the noticeable delay I experience with the Kodi setting. Or are there some other Kodi settings I've missed. I've tried both enabling and disabling any hardware acceleration but no effect. One thing I did notice is that Render Method is greyed out. What would keep this from being adjustable? But that may have nothing at all to do with what I'm finding.

Did try and see if changing the refresh rate in Kodi from 59.xx to 23.xx did anything, but none.

Last edited by sjschaff; 06-08-2019 at 11:45 AM.
post #4757 of 4851 Old 06-08-2019, 11:31 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Quote:
What I've found in my Kodi/Nvidia Shield/Lumagen Pro environment is that when starting to play a file of any format if I use Kodi settings under Player ... Playback ... Adjust display refresh rate set to Always there is a delay in showing the video (though sound is immediate) of 15-20 seconds. This is independent of whether or not I set Sync Playback to Display on or off. If the Adjust display refresh rate is off, the video displays immediately. However in this case many videos I'll watch will not be smooth at all (rather jerky), so I'm assuming the frame rate of the source is not being handled correctly. I'm wondering if there's some setting in the Nvidia that should be altered instead, to allow correct frame rate matching with Kodi, avoiding the noticeable delay I experience with the Kodi setting. Or are there some other Kodi settings I've missed. I've tried both enabling and disabling any hardware acceleration but no effect. One thing I did notice is that Render Method is greyed out. What would keep this from being adjustable? But that may have nothing at all to do with what I'm finding.

I suppose you have JVC projector if you experience 15-20 seconds delay? This is normal behaviour as when you play video it switches to its native resolution and frame rate, therefore it is expected that there will be a new handshake between your display and Lumagen. I have Sony vw760es and my delays are around 5 seconds, so is fine.

giomania likes this.

post #4758 of 4851 Old 06-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I suppose you have JVC projector if you experience 15-20 seconds delay? This is normal behaviour as when you play video it switches to its native resolution and frame rate, therefore it is expected that there will be a new handshake between your display and Lumagen. I have Sony vw760es and my delays are around 5 seconds, so is fine.

Got me! I see that the Lumagen shows the input as 23.98 after I start playing, so it's that EDID negotiation that must be occurring. Wonder if this is true of all later JVC projectors.

post #4759 of 4851 Old 06-10-2019, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

DTM and Sony 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Janus View Post
can some Sony 5000 users please post their settings when using DTM?
In particular the Max light setting and maybe the NITS you get?

thanks, roland
bump
post #4760 of 4851 Old 06-11-2019, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
bump
Max Light=600 but I use the in-built filter, otherwise 800 is more reasonable value
post #4761 of 4851 Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanop View Post
Max Light=600 but I use the in-built filter, otherwise 800 is more reasonable value
thanks!
you also know the light output (nits) with that?
post #4762 of 4851 Old 06-11-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

4) Blade Runner 2049 (2018) Max Mon = ????, MaxCLL = 480
▪ A very dark movie with a MaxCLL = 480 Nits (Disc metadata incorrectly reports 182 Nits)

Those interested should buy the Sony release. Appreciably better detail. Not sure if the HDR metadata is unique, but I can look (on UB820).

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #4763 of 4851 Old 06-11-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
thanks!
you also know the light output (nits) with that?
No, I don't
post #4764 of 4851 Old 06-11-2019, 07:05 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series

Quote:
After setting this up, Kodi is not totally working for me; it won’t send 23.98 Hz. MrMC will send 23.98 Hz, but sends only PCM, not bitstream. Ugh.

Thankfully I have my OPPO which just works.

Mark

Nevermind: Both Kodi and MrMC are working fine. For some reason, my output setting for Mode was Custom0 (1080p60) instead of Auto 1. I changed that, and they both send 23.98 Hz fine and MrMC I had the incorrect audio settings for bitstream.

Does anyone know why we have Auto 1 through 4 as options for Mode in the output setup menu?

Mark

Last edited by giomania; 06-12-2019 at 04:29 AM.
post #4765 of 4851 Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5503 Post(s)
Liked: 5317
Anyone use the lumagen with Directv? How does the upscaling do with that? Watching game 5 of the NBA finals the other night and on some of the commercials you could see fonts vibrating between the interlacing switches and it was quite annoying. Does the lumagen alleviate stuff like this or no?

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #4766 of 4851 Old 06-12-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
Any eta on the next firmware?
darksets likes this.

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 16 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system
post #4767 of 4851 Old 06-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone with 18ghz outputs experiencing green screen on 042119? Multiple reboots flash down and back up seem to make no difference at this point.
post #4768 of 4851 Old 06-13-2019, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Any eta on the next firmware?
I'm also interested in knowing when the next firmware could come out
post #4769 of 4851 Old 06-13-2019, 05:01 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post
Anyone with 18ghz outputs experiencing green screen on 042119? Multiple reboots flash down and back up seem to make no difference at this point.

All good on mine.

Can you provide setup info and more details? Default settings used?

post #4770 of 4851 Old 06-13-2019, 06:01 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Does anyone know why we have Auto 1 through 4 as options for Mode in the output setup menu?

Mark
I found this in the manual, by the way.

Setting the mode to “Auto” followed by an output number will get data from the display for its preferred mode. The output number allows choosing one primary output. The command is:
MENU → Output → Custom Modes → [Custom] → Select Mode

I have mine set to Auto1 because I did not look in the manual when I set this. The strange thing is that nothing is connected to output #1 , but now my Shield TV will send 23.98 Hz video when appropriate for the content, and before it was sending 59.94 Hz for all content.

When the Radiance Pro was set to the default Output Mode of Custom0 (1080p60) the only source device that would consistently send 23.98 Hz when appropriate for the content was the OPPO UDP-203.

Isn't HDMI great?

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page