New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3574Likes

post #4861 of 5233 Old 07-17-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2893 Post(s)
Liked: 2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
That´s what we are talking about...
No, they’re different. Your talking about warping, which is scaling the entire image in a non-uniform way to counter the distortions caused by the lens.

Curved masking control involves no scaling, and simply masks pixels from the edges of the frame in a curvature opposite to that produced by the lens, to prevent overspill onto the screen border.
dlinsley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5233 Old 07-17-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
No, they’re different. Your talking about warping, which is scaling the entire image in a non-uniform way to counter the distortions caused by the lens.

Curved masking control involves no scaling, and simply masks pixels from the edges of the frame in a curvature opposite to that produced by the lens, to prevent overspill onto the screen border.
We were initially talking about "WARPING" and then Jim said that he could probably only correct the curve. And yes, they are different indeed.
post #4863 of 5233 Old 07-17-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 6529
Hey Everyone. Just thought I'd chime in. I've been doing a bunch of testing these last couple days on the BIG update that is coming to the tone mapping for the Radiance Pro. This will be a full FPGA update with completely new curves designed from the ground up. I'm sure Jim will chime in with more specifics. To sum it up, the update is absolutely fantastic. Massive improvements in near black performance, change detections and the curves in general. I've been trying all the different torture tests that I've come up with over the years and I've been drawing as many as possible from the MadVR thread that people have found there and I haven't found a single issue yet. I think this will be going live VERY soon and everyone is in for a treat.
Spizz, jamesmil, LJG and 24 others like this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4864 of 5233 Old 07-17-2019, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6705 Post(s)
Liked: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Hey Everyone. Just thought I'd chime in. I've been doing a bunch of testing these last couple days on the BIG update that is coming to the tone mapping for the Radiance Pro. This will be a full FPGA update with completely new curves designed from the ground up. I'm sure Jim will chime in with more specifics. To sum it up, the update is absolutely fantastic. Massive improvements in near black performance, change detections and the curves in general. I've been trying all the different torture tests that I've come up with over the years and I've been drawing as many as possible from the MadVR thread that people have found there and I haven't found a single issue yet. I think this will be going live VERY soon and everyone is in for a treat.
Wow - great news Kris ! Thanks for the update.
audioguy and Karl Maga like this.
post #4865 of 5233 Old 07-17-2019, 02:19 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 426
I wonder when the “Warp Drive” will be added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #4866 of 5233 Old 07-17-2019, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
[email protected]@@

Any news on which if any demos at CEDIA 2019 will use the Radiance Pro?

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #4867 of 5233 Old 07-17-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Update to the Radiance Pro manual

jrp on 4-23-19:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
As I mentioned in my previous post I am working on an update to the Radiance Pro manual that includes Dynamic Tone Mapping. I hope to have something to put on the website mid-May.
Except for the intriguing enhancememts to Dynamic Tone Mapping that Kris Deering just teased us with, I would most prefer an update to the Radiance Pro manual re: DTM before any esoteric feature enhancement.

Since it is now mid-July, any word on status of an update?

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
post #4868 of 5233 Old 07-17-2019, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 6529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Quote:
[email protected]@@

Any news on which if any demos at CEDIA 2019 will use the Radiance Pro?
Not sure. I am. It presently doing any booth calibrations or setups but if I do I will try and get one to display.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #4869 of 5233 Old 07-18-2019, 01:27 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2433 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
Quote:
Really pleased to hear this. Though the current public release is much, much better than not running DTM; now I'm out of my setup phase(ish) in my new room and actually sitting back and watching movies I notice in particular that the change detection can very occasionally be a bit sub-optimal in places. Very excited to see the new release when it drops
Craig Peer and venkatesh_m like this.
post #4870 of 5233 Old 07-19-2019, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Question, if all we were to use is 4k SDR 2020 from the Lumagen with DTM would the 18Gbps outputs be necessary? What kind of data rates would be likely be used?

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk
post #4871 of 5233 Old 07-19-2019, 06:01 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_m View Post
Question, if all we were to use is 4k SDR 2020 from the Lumagen with DTM would the 18Gbps outputs be necessary? What kind of data rates would be likely be used?
If you are happy to keep 4k50 or 4k60 to 8bit 420, and 4k24 to 12bit 422, then you can use 9G out cards.
This is the best chart for seeing this at a glance.
post #4872 of 5233 Old 07-19-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4716 Post(s)
Liked: 3500
I went through a similar analysis on deciding on how many inputs/outputs I wanted to be 18G. Finally determined, I would rather be safe, spend the extra money when I purchased it and went for all 18G. The Lumagen, like my A-Lens, processor, projector, speaker and amps, are very long ownership purchases. So I decided it was worth it.

Last edited by audioguy; 07-19-2019 at 07:15 AM.
post #4873 of 5233 Old 07-19-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
If you are happy to keep 4k50 or 4k60 to 8bit 420, and 4k24 to 12bit 422, then you can use 9G out cards.

This is the best chart for seeing this at a glance.

Thanks...I hv seen this chart so many times but not sure why I confused all this with 4k SDR...and I'm also pretty sure I read the answer before, most likely from you as well...thanks again. Overthinking is a nasty habit

post #4874 of 5233 Old 07-19-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I went through a similar analysis on deciding on how many inputs/outputs I wanted to be 18G. Finally determined, I would rather be safe, spend the extra money when I purchased it and went for all 18G. The Lumagen, like my A-Lens, processor, speaker and amps, are very long ownership purchases. So I decided it was worth it.
Yeah...I hear you...time to make a decision. I just got the S & M UHD disc as well and the demo clip where you get to change the mastering level is an eye opener for sure and comparing the output of the clip on my JVC with custom curves and the built in DTM on my LG OLED tells me that the way forward for projectors would be with some form on DTM and not static curves, no matter how much one thinks it looks ok. The saturation does not look as good on static curves.

post #4875 of 5233 Old 07-19-2019, 07:43 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Thanks...I hv seen this chart so many times but not sure why I confused all this with 4k SDR...and I'm also pretty sure I read the answer before, most likely from you as well...thanks again. Overthinking is a nasty habit
For what it is worth I don't think it is that clear cut of a decision, particularly if you're going with a unit with only 1 output "slot" (ie a 42xx).

From what I understand you're likely to have less interoperability / HDMI handshake / cable etc issues sticking with the 9G out cards, and you get video out on both ports, instead of 1x 18G video + 1x9G audio with blue screen video.
I don't think 444 out is important particularly; so that leaves things like AppleTV UI and Billy Lynn's Long Halftime as benefiting from 4k50/60 >8bit. I think last time it came up Jim mentioned that the dithering to 8 bit is very good.
I think you definitely want 18G inputs unless you're likely to be a heavy PIP user when that feature lands on the larger units (you can't PIP the two inputs of a single 18G card I recall, pip has to be between different 18G cards).
venkatesh_m likes this.
post #4876 of 5233 Old 07-19-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post

That would be a nice feature. Icing on the cake for sure !
post #4877 of 5233 Old 07-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Yeah...I hear you...time to make a decision. I just got the S & M UHD disc as well and the demo clip where you get to change the mastering level is an eye opener for sure and comparing the output of the clip on my JVC with custom curves and the built in DTM on my LG OLED tells me that the way forward for projectors would be with some form on DTM and not static curves, no matter how much one thinks it looks ok. The saturation does not look as good on static curves.

I have had my Radiance Pro 4449 since the day it came out. I purchased a 18GHz input and 18GHz output cards on the day they were released. So far, the only instances I ever needed 18GHz were Billy Lynn’s 4K UHD Blu-ray and Battlefield V on Xbox One X. Billy Lynn is the only 4K disc mastered in 60 frames and I doubt there will be more titles like this ever. Most Xbox one X games including 4K enhanced ones are OK with 9GHz in 4K60 in 8 bits , Battlefield V and maybe a few other 4K HDR titles need 4K60 in 12 bits.

I actually decided to return my 18 GHz input card for a 9 Ghz card. 44xx units will get PIP/POP and 18 GHz input cards have limitations with this function. I am buying another 18 Ghz output card however. I prefer to send at least 4:2:2 to my TV.
venkatesh_m likes this.

Wanted:
HD-VMD Discs
Muse/Hi-Vision Discs - Mint/Complete Only!
post #4878 of 5233 Old 07-21-2019, 01:13 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Wondering when the new update will drop?
post #4879 of 5233 Old 07-21-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Given the public comments by Kris Deering as well as an email conversation I had with Craig Rounds, it has to be very, very close - but I have not a clue what that means!!

I know. Not helpful in the slightest.
post #4880 of 5233 Old 07-21-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Not as imminently as hoped but I’d rather they get it right! Have been checking twice a day all week!
post #4881 of 5233 Old 07-21-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorpwj View Post
Not as imminently as hoped but I’d rather they get it right! Have been checking twice a day all week!
You and me both !
Dirk44 and bobof like this.
post #4882 of 5233 Old 07-22-2019, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 28
considering getting a lumagen 4240, a few questions as I'm a newbie.
I have a projector, BenQ 990, that's connected to an Arcam receiver. inputs on the receiver are appletv, roku, of which I watch mostly Netflix, and movies that are 4k streams from vudu/appletv.

Would I just get the 4240 and put it in between the receiver and projector?

how easy is it to setup?http://www.chromapure.com/products-lumagenPro-new.asp Here it says it comes with a meter, and software chromapure. Do all lumagens come with this? If i were to calibrate the projector (I've never done it with a meter) is it easy? How automated is it?

or do I get a i3 Display pro 3 and use HCFR?

or CalMan ?

lastly I don't understand the 3D LUT do I need it?
post #4883 of 5233 Old 07-22-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
Would I just get the 4240 and put it in between the receiver and projector?
Yes

Quote:
how easy is it to setup?http://www.chromapure.com/products-lumagenPro-new.asp Here it says it comes with a meter, and software chromapure. Do all lumagens come with this? If i were to calibrate the projector (I've never done it with a meter) is it easy? How automated is it?

or do I get a i3 Display pro 3 and use HCFR?

or CalMan ?

lastly I don't understand the 3D LUT do I need it?
All Lumagen's don't come with ChromaPure - or CalMan. It is a package deal the video calibration software companies offer.

I can't comment on how easy it would be for you to do all of the calibration, implement 3D LUT, etc. I bought my first Lumagen (from CalMan) in order to be able to calibrate my projector, similar to what you are considering. At the time (maybe 8 or 10 years ago), it was anything but fully automated, though some portions were. And I clearly did not (and still don't) have the underlying knowledge to be able to successfully take full advantage of what it had to offer. That should not imply that you won't.

So instead of buying the Lumagen from ChromaPure (or CalMan), I bought my current one from someone who is an approved Lumagen Calibrator. There are a few of them but Craig Rounds (from whom I bought mine) is one as is Kris Deering. I'm sure there are others. Not inexpensive but you would be confident of getting the most out of your Lumagen/projector. That hardware is a significant investment and extracting all it has to offer would seem the logical choice.
giomania, mikela and A7mad78 like this.
post #4884 of 5233 Old 07-22-2019, 08:01 AM

Waiting for this new firmware is a little bit like waiting for Christmas .
mikela, Dirk44, llang269 and 1 others like this.
post #4885 of 5233 Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
You’ve heard of Christmas in July... Well, this is it!!
Craig Peer likes this.
post #4886 of 5233 Old 07-22-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Is there a NORAD Santa Tracker that shows where the update will be next? We know it has already reached part of Western Washington at Kris' house. Where's he due next?
giomania and Craig Peer like this.
post #4887 of 5233 Old 07-22-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2530 Post(s)
Liked: 2049

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 16 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system
post #4888 of 5233 Old 07-22-2019, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
You’ve heard of Christmas in July... Well, this is it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Is there a NORAD Santa Tracker that shows where the update will be next? We know it has already reached part of Western Washington at Kris' house. Where's he due next?
Everyone here is MAD with ENVY over what the Radiance Pro does already and even more so with the shortly upcoming firmware upgrade! (Pun intended!)
Craig Peer likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #4889 of 5233 Old 07-23-2019, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I still don't know what to buy, MadVR ENVY can be very interesting solution for an interesting price. But Lumanagen Radiance PRO have currently very good support but at a higher price. I think i will have to wait for some comparison.
post #4890 of 5233 Old 07-23-2019, 12:27 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle View Post
I still don't know what to buy, MadVR ENVY can be very interesting solution for an interesting price. But Lumanagen Radiance PRO have currently very good support but at a higher price. I think i will have to wait for some comparison.
Off-topic in this thread, but where do you have pricing info from for MadVR Envy?
So far as I'm aware there isn't any indication yet as to pricing for it.
Craig Peer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page