New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series - Page 186 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4100Likes

post #5551 of 5832 Old 09-15-2019, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
So what is the option to force a AR if Lumagen is not doing the Auto AR correctly?
It would be great to get that programmed in my Crestron Remote - while waiting for Lumagen to do their thing.

BTW - I sent a mail to [email protected] and Jim Peterson sent me a mail Sunday evening and told me they will look into it - talk about great service.
You can overwrite it, in my logitech universal remote shows up as "Screen 2.35", I believe in the original Lumagen remote it's simply "2.35". There is also a setting in the menu about "sticky overwrite", I think you need to set it to on if you don't want it to revert after a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 5832 Old 09-15-2019, 11:14 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMILANI View Post
Can the Lumagen be configured to enable one of its trigger outputs when it detect wide aspect ratio? For example to trigger my masking system automatically?
I'm not sure they come with simple trigger outputs any more (or at least not as standard). My 4242 doesn't.

In any case I don't think you'd really want to use a simple trigger output. The Lumagen can detect and set at least 6 different aspect ratios, so assuming your masking screen has more than two positions you'd really want something with a bit more intelligence sat between the screen and the Lumagen to be able to set to each of those ratios. A trigger output could only give you two positions. A control system on the RS232 is ideal. I did it myself with a Raspberry Pi which was about $50 in parts and a couple of evenings of scripting.

Quote:
So what is the option to force a AR if Lumagen is not doing the Auto AR correctly?
It would be great to get that programmed in my Crestron Remote - while waiting for Lumagen to do their thing.

BTW - I sent a mail to [email protected] and Jim Peterson sent me a mail Sunday evening and told me they will look into it - talk about great service.
You want to set "Sticky Override" to yes in the Auto aspect menu. Then when you press an aspect change button it will override the detection for the duration of the programme (until something like an input or resolution change happens).
post #5553 of 5832 Old 09-16-2019, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a Control4 system in my theater, but not sure there is such as sophisticated driver for Lumagen to detect and set my screen masking system. Does anyone know?
gwthacker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5554 of 5832 Old 09-16-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 745
I’ve not implemented the Lumagen process yet (Tech Tip number 11 on the Lumagen website support/manuals page), but most control systems can monitor serial/IP feedback and then take action. I’ve only done it with Kaleidescape and my MX160. For K as an example, when you select a movie to play, K generates system events. These events include things like aspect ratio (2.40, 1.85, etc.), HDR, SDR, etc. A control system picks up on these and can execute commands to do whatever you want. Assume you would need to work with whomever programmed your system to see if the information is included in the drivers or whatever else is needed if you want to pursue. Also, assume there is a central control hardware that is monitoring vs. just a remote. SJ
post #5555 of 5832 Old 09-16-2019, 06:50 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
My Crestron based system - Lumagen Triggers masking on my Stewart Vistascope Screen - This is a awesome feature.
Unfortunately, it is a hit and miss (it sometimes works and sometimes does not) and my integrator Adam Peltz confirmed that this is a hit and miss as he has seen it in other implementations.
I am hoping Lumagen fixes this Crestron Module soon as this feature has brought me to a total Press Play and watch control in my theater for my family members who are always confused about my control system.
Hi Ash:

We just finished setting this up in my system which is even more complicated as the AA and Crestron set screen masking AND projector Lens memories per aspect ratio. It is so very awesome to not fiddle with each Aspect Ratio the Lumagen is 100 percent accurate except for Directv which is 99 percent 1.78. Tell Adam he needs to have the Crestron poll the Lumagen every few seconds. I love this now!! Running 1.78, 1.85, 2.0 @ one projector lens memory, and 2.0 (large), 2.2, 2.35, 2.40 @ another lens memory.
Ash Sharma likes this.
post #5556 of 5832 Old 09-16-2019, 06:53 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The auto AR works awesome on my setup - but today I watched the new Netflix Show 'The Spy' and the AR did not work - the picture is 1:78 with black bars top and down - switched to Stranger Things 2.0 and it worked like a charm.
Does the Lumagen Team watch issues on this thread and resolve them?
If you press enter 3 times on Lumagen menu it shows the input/output Aspect Ratio.
post #5557 of 5832 Old 09-16-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4987 Post(s)
Liked: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksets View Post
I also would like to report a problem with auto-aspect ratio for John Wick 3, the 4k version. It's shown letterboxed in the middle of my 2.35: 1 screen. I sent an email to support but I got no reply.
I just watched it and did not have that issue - and I also have a 2:35 screen.

EDIT: And to add clarity, I watched from an MKV ripped copy playing from a Nvidia Shield/Plex.

Last edited by audioguy; 09-16-2019 at 07:53 AM.
post #5558 of 5832 Old 09-16-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 634
^
Same here. Just watched this with a group of fellow AVS'ers yesterday...no problem.
post #5559 of 5832 Old 09-16-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
I also would like to report a problem with auto-aspect ratio for John Wick 3, the 4k version. It's shown letterboxed in the middle of my 2.35: 1 screen. I sent an email to support but I got no reply.
What is your source?
post #5560 of 5832 Old 09-16-2019, 10:03 AM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
Quote:
Your email never made it here. Likely our sometimes over active SPAM filter. If you can let us know your email (PM would work) I can get you on our white list, or if you have a different email you can send it from please try that.

I just purchased John Wick 3 for our Strato and can check for that version.

It might be specific to your player combined with the content. Which player are you using, and where did the file come from?

In the past we have seen some content have an error in their black level and this then looks like video to the Pro. We should be able to adapt for the player/content causing issues. Of course could be a bug in the auto-aspect we have not yet seen. We will take a look.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #5561 of 5832 Old 09-16-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
What is your source?

4k Blu-Ray Disc playing on Oppo 203.
post #5562 of 5832 Old 09-16-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Your email never made it here. Likely our sometimes over active SPAM filter. If you can let us know your email (PM would work) I can get you on our white list, or if you have a different email you can send it from please try that.

I just purchased John Wick 3 for our Strato and can check for that version.

It might be specific to your player combined with the content. Which player are you using, and where did the file come from?

In the past we have seen some content have an error in their black level and this then looks like video to the Pro. We should be able to adapt for the player/content causing issues. Of course could be a bug in the auto-aspect we have not yet seen. We will take a look.
Thanks Jim. I've had email exchanges with [email protected] before so I think I'm ok. Something might have gone wrong with that particular message. As for the movie, I'm using an Oppo 203 and the 4k Blu-Ray disc.
post #5563 of 5832 Old 09-17-2019, 08:34 AM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Update on John Wick 3 and auto aspect.

I watched John Wick 3 from a Kaleidescape Strato in the Lumagen Demo Theater on our 2.40 screen with auto aspect enabled and the Radiance Pro detected 2.40 and selected it immediately when I started the movie, and stayed that way for the entire movies.

So we will need to investigate further. We have an Oppo 203 in the Lumagen Demo Theater. I just ordered the disc to test to see if we can replicate the issue you are seeing on your Oppo 203.

[EDIT] Darkset: Can you confirm you have the Oppo 203 set to "Source Direct" and the output color format set to 4:2:2, as recommended?
OzHDHT likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen

Last edited by jrp; 09-17-2019 at 08:38 AM.
post #5564 of 5832 Old 09-17-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:

I watched John Wick 3 from a Kaleidescape Strato in the Lumagen Demo Theater on our 2.40 screen with auto aspect enabled and the Radiance Pro detected 2.40 and selected it immediately when I started the movie, and stayed that way for the entire movies.

So we will need to investigate further. We have an Oppo 203 in the Lumagen Demo Theater. I just ordered the disc to test to see if we can replicate the issue you are seeing on your Oppo 203.

[EDIT] Darkset: Can you confirm you have the Oppo 203 set to "Source Direct" and the output color format set to 4:2:2, as recommended?
Yes, those are my settings. However, I cannot replicate the problem now. I just tried playing the disc again and now it's shown correctly without changing anything. I apologize for the confusion I created, I really can't understand it.
post #5565 of 5832 Old 09-17-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6976 Post(s)
Liked: 8247
Quote:

While I hadn't planned on watching John Wick 3 for the first time until Sunday ( a John Wick 2 & 3 double feature with Blanton's bourbon ! ), I decided to put it on and test it ahead of time. Also using an Oppo 203. I started letterboxed, but then went to 2.40:1 ( I'm using a DCR lens ). Played fine. Unfortunately I got sucked into the movie. When John breaks into the firearms museum and is attacked by the gang of Asian hitmen ( after trying to assemble a single action revolver ), it suddenly went back to letterboxed in the center of the screen. A backed it up, replayed it and used the sticky aspect ratio command for 2.40:1. I'm not sure what is different about this disc, but I just made a note to use the sticky aspect ratio for 2.40:1. That fixes it.

Damn movie is great - watched at least 1/2 of it. Can't wait for Sunday !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #5566 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 02:43 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
While I hadn't planned on watching John Wick 3 for the first time until Sunday ( a John Wick 2 & 3 double feature with Blanton's bourbon ! ), I decided to put it on and test it ahead of time. Also using an Oppo 203. I started letterboxed, but then went to 2.40:1 ( I'm using a DCR lens ). Played fine. Unfortunately I got sucked into the movie. When John breaks into the firearms museum and is attacked by the gang of Asian hitmen ( after trying to assemble a single action revolver ), it suddenly went back to letterboxed in the center of the screen. A backed it up, replayed it and used the sticky aspect ratio command for 2.40:1. I'm not sure what is different about this disc, but I just made a note to use the sticky aspect ratio for 2.40:1. That fixes it.

Damn movie is great - watched at least 1/2 of it. Can't wait for Sunday !
Lon Mentioned in the 5000ES thread that his programmer (Crestron) set a polling AR command and it works flawless.
Jim wrote to me yesterday that he is looking into the code itself working with Adam.
post #5567 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 06:29 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lon Mentioned in the 5000ES thread that his programmer (Crestron) set a polling AR command and it works flawless.
Jim wrote to me yesterday that he is looking into the code itself working with Adam.
I watched John Wick 3, Oppo 203, AA picked up 2.4 AR, masking set, projector lens memory it was perfect. Only when I went to review a scene backward did it reset to 1.78, but as soon as it went to play 2.4. @ Ash, Crestron modules are often broken and buggy it is rare that a Crestron module works without the programmer debugging.
post #5568 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
I watched John Wick 3, Oppo 203, AA picked up 2.4 AR, masking set, projector lens memory it was perfect. Only when I went to review a scene backward did it reset to 1.78, but as soon as it went to play 2.4. @ Ash, Crestron modules are often broken and buggy it is rare that a Crestron module works without the programmer debugging.
Mine didn't go to 1.78:1. It letterboxed the movie in the center of my scope screen, just like Darksets. Weird !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #5569 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 08:16 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

I was rewinding the Movie I should have made that clearer so really no issue at all
post #5570 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3022 Post(s)
Liked: 2228
Quote:
AA will revert to 1.78 if you pause or rewind etc, as symbols and progress bars etc can appear within the black bars.

Quote:
Mine didn't go to 1.78:1. It letterboxed the movie in the center of my scope screen, just like Darksets. Weird !
That is going to 1:78 Craig, the auto-aspect system thinks a 1.78 (16:9) frame is being displayed, so will attempt to fit it within your scope screen. Did you press any control buttons at the time (pause, rewind, info etc)?
post #5571 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
AA will revert to 1.78 if you pause or rewind etc, as symbols and progress bars etc can appear within the black bars.

That is going to 1:78 Craig, the auto-aspect system thinks a 1.78 (16:9) frame is being displayed, so will attempt to fit it within your scope screen. Did you press any control buttons at the time (pause, rewind, info etc)?
I guess you are right - and it showed the black bars top and bottom which made it look like a letterboxed image. I touched nothing - I was just watching the movie. It totally switched on its own mid movie. Also, I think the menu at the beginning of the movie was not in 16:9. This disc affected AA different than any other scope film I've watched - I haven't had any problems until now. Maybe I should try it in my UB820 just for fun, although I'm willing to bet it's a disc encoding issue and not player related. Easily solved by using the sticky aspect ratio, but I hope other new films don't do this - it's irritating !

post #5572 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 09:17 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post

Agreed that's why I said only when I rewound
post #5573 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 09:35 AM
aka jfinnie

It would be nice to be able to send a temporary "ignore aspect change" command to the Pro to make it ignore changes for a specified period, along with the option to cancel the ignore command. This way you could stop it caring about the on screen junk during seeking quite easily by just sending the ignore command on pressing seek, and perhaps also sending the cancel ignore command on resuming playback.
LJG and Mike_WI like this.
post #5574 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
It would be nice to be able to send a temporary "ignore aspect change" command to the Pro to make it ignore changes for a specified period, along with the option to cancel the ignore command. This way you could stop it caring about the on screen junk during seeking quite easily by just sending the ignore command on pressing seek, and perhaps also sending the cancel ignore command on resuming playback.
You can now. In my case I press "alt " and " 2.35:1 ". I have to do that if I want to watch " Interstellar " in scope - otherwise things get really crazy with the AA.
bobof likes this.

post #5575 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 12:17 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
You can now. In my case I press "alt " and " 2.35:1 ". I have to do that if I want to watch " Interstellar " in scope - otherwise things get really crazy with the AA.
It's not quite the same thing as you have to know the AR in advance.
But you're right, it is currently probably possible to do but hard.

On someone pressing seek you'd currently have to intercept the seek command from the remote, then:
Query the current AR
Force the current AR to the current AR (I'm not sure if that will make it stick if you're not changing AR, need to try it).
Do your seeking
(some timeout to allow OSD junk to go away)
Send ZY550<CR> RS232 command to reset the auto aspect engine

It would perhaps be nice to have a single command to make the current AR sticky without having to know what the AR is.
LJG, Craig Peer and Wookii like this.
post #5576 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:

On someone pressing seek you'd currently have to intercept the seek command from the remote, then:
Query the current AR
Force the current AR to the current AR (I'm not sure if that will make it stick if you're not changing AR, need to try it).
Do your seeking
(some timeout to allow OSD junk to go away)
Send ZY550<CR> RS232 command to reset the auto aspect engine

It would perhaps be nice to have a single command to make the current AR sticky without having to know what the AR is.
That could be useful.

post #5577 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Agreed that's why I said only when I rewound
New Firmware Posted at Lumagen to Fix My AR Issues...
bobof and dinamigym like this.
post #5578 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 02:00 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
New Firmware Posted at Lumagen to Fix My AR Issues...
It's interesting, it did eventually detect 2.0 for The Spy, but often takes a really, really long time to do so.
post #5579 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Arrow FW Beta 090919

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php...ncepro_updates

Beta 090919
- Posted 091819
Improvement to auto-detecting 2.0 input aspect on some sources.
Fix for rs232 status reporting of output aspect which was sometimes not current.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware
Craig Peer and SoulOfUniverse like this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #5580 of 5832 Old 09-18-2019, 03:42 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

[SNIP]

We like the idea of having a way to ignore auto aspect and keep the current aspect.

Pat and I talked and we decided that we will put the following into the next release (after the 090919 that was just posted):

ALT CLR: Ignore Auto Aspect changes and keep current aspect

ALT NLS: Enable Auto Aspect changes (if auto aspect feature is on)

=====

NOTE: For the Oppo 203 at least you can turn off the OSD symbols that display when you pause/FF/Rew. I did this since having the "PAUSE" show up in the image would mess up DTM while I was trying to evaluate a paused image. However, this should also keep the OSD symbols from causing auto aspect to detect a different aspect ratio. This is in the Oppo's Setup menu under Playback setup. Select "OSD Mode" as "Off."
LJG, Mark_H, giomania and 2 others like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page