New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series - Page 254 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6554Likes

post #7591 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
no, it's a request for the next improvement.
I'm sure Lumagen will do these too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 158
any thoughts about the new FW still not download it maybe today I will do

trinnov altitude32,Triad Gold system 9.4.6, Barco BalderCS, LumagenPro,kaleidescape strato& terra,
D-box,stewart ST100 165”, oppo203, APTV4k,QSC DCA amps
post #7593 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 108
i am still at work... but I'm curious about your impressions from this update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7594 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle View Post
i am still at work... but I'm curious about your impressions from this update

Even me still not update my lumagen plan for today later

trinnov altitude32,Triad Gold system 9.4.6, Barco BalderCS, LumagenPro,kaleidescape strato& terra,
D-box,stewart ST100 165”, oppo203, APTV4k,QSC DCA amps
post #7595 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Harry* View Post
If I got it correctly, that just was a wish for the next todo.
Or do we really have the implementation of that in 041120?
Sorry, I missed that. I think you are correct.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (051820 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #7596 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Still need PIP/POP! Although my need for watching live sports while gaming has diminished....
Mike_WI likes this.
post #7597 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I updated mine from work yesterday. It was a nice surprise and was ready for me when I got home. Great job Jim!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Craig Peer and bobof like this.
post #7598 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2002 View Post
I updated mine from work yesterday. It was a nice surprise and was ready for me when I got home. Great job Jim!!!
How do you do that remotely?
llang269 likes this.
post #7599 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinturbo View Post
sharpness and noise reduction. We have been waiting for a long time!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinturbo View Post
no, it's a request for the next improvement.
I'm sure Lumagen will do these too.
Personally I no longer believe in it too unfortunately ...

I have had the Lumagen Pro for almost four years and these settings have been constantly pushed back.

Having a 1080p projector, I hesitate to acquire a lumagen mini 3d to benefit from these settings that I found fantastic. I think to enter with the source in the Pro to carry out all the treatments then attack the mini 3d on which I will only use the sharpness and noise reduction settings ...
post #7600 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Just a heads up for folks about this new release. I've been helping Lumagen with this for a few weeks now. This is a nice improvement in terms of difficult scenes that present issues for a dynamic solution. BUT, with standard content you won't likely see much, if any difference between this release and what you had before. This release is more about how well the DTM handles difficult material with lots of changes that can throw off a dynamic solution and cause visible artifacts. It does ultimately improve the picture quite a bit with a lot of content, but again, this was focused more on extreme cases that certainly aren't the norm, which the Radiance already handles extremely well. There are other little fixes in the build as well (auto NLS fixes, test pattern fixes, other niggles).
can you provide specific scenes to test with?
post #7601 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked: 8049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Janus View Post
can you provide specific scenes to test with?
I don't provide scenes with issues to people as I generally tell people not to look for problems and just sit back and enjoy. Once you start to see problems they are hard to ignore, so why go looking for them. It is HIGHLY unlikely you will see problems with the tone mapping with this build. BUT, it is a dynamic solution, which means that it can NEVER be perfect (otherwise it wouldn't need to be dynamic). But I think most will rarely if ever see anything tone map related, even with very difficult material for a dynamic solution, which is the goal.

My Home Theater UPDATED JUNE 2020
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #7602 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
I don't provide scenes with issues to people as I generally tell people not to look for problems and just sit back and enjoy. Once you start to see problems they are hard to ignore, so why go looking for them. It is HIGHLY unlikely you will see problems with the tone mapping with this build. BUT, it is a dynamic solution, which means that it can NEVER be perfect (otherwise it wouldn't need to be dynamic). But I think most will rarely if ever see anything tone map related, even with very difficult material for a dynamic solution, which is the goal.
Can someone tell me what NLS means (related to the latest firmware)?

Thanks!

JVC-RS4500 4k projector, Lumagen Pro, 138" 2.35:1 ST130
Panasonic DMP-UB820 & i7 PC w/1080ti running Win10/Kodi DSPlayer/madVR
Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.
post #7603 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post
Can someone tell me what NLS means (related to the latest firmware)?

Thanks!
NLS is "non-linear stretch". It is used with scope screens for content that is a narrower aspect than the screen. When engaged it will non-linearly stretch/crop the image to fill the screen completely. This has always worked, but there was a bug when you engage the auto aspect function to use this automatically that would result in it not working right away after the selection was mode in the menu.
Ian_Currie likes this.

post #7604 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
that's fine!
post #7605 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 03:27 PM

Hi, with thats new firmware all my problem with some movies are gone. Just tested UHD Maleficent: Mistress of Evil where i noticed before some problem with ADTM but now all is perfect with no issues.

thank you Jim
post #7606 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle View Post
Hi, with thats new firmware all my problem with some movies are gone. Just tested UHD Maleficent: Mistress of Evil where i noticed before some problem with ADTM but now all is perfect with no issues.

thank you Jim
Glad to hear this resolved those issues! Just want to reiterate, this can never be perfect for all scenes as it is dynamic, BUT, please report issues you guys see to [email protected] so they can take a look and possibly resolve them. Lumagen certainly can't look at every piece of content out there, so the more people that see a clear issue with DTM and report it, the better chance that these issues will rarely, if ever, pop up!
mikela, OzHDHT, Craig Peer and 4 others like this.

post #7607 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
How do you do that remotely?
I use the Harmony app to turn on the system. Then use Jump Desktop to connect to the server computer which has the USB from the Radiance connected to it. Easy Peasy.
OzHDHT, Mike_WI, telem and 1 others like this.
post #7608 of 8035 Old 04-21-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear this resolved those issues! Just want to reiterate, this can never be perfect for all scenes as it is dynamic, BUT, please report issues you guys see to [email protected] so they can take a look and possibly resolve them. Lumagen certainly can't look at every piece of content out there, so the more people that see a clear issue with DTM and report it, the better chance that these issues will rarely, if ever, pop up!

Hi, yes thats i know and because this i am try always send emal at lumagen support if i found some issues with info where and when.
post #7609 of 8035 Old 04-22-2020, 12:50 AM
Hello, World!

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
I don't provide scenes with issues to people as I generally tell people not to look for problems and just sit back and enjoy. Once you start to see problems they are hard to ignore, so why go looking for them.
On one hand, I sympathise with this - having lived through DVD "artefact hell" where I could barely watch a film for artefact distractions I get the "once you see it, you can't unsee it" argument, however the reason many of us are here is to deepen our knowledge of AV stuff and to help look for problems so they can be addressed, and so sharing things like test scenes is generally a useful thing... Others may then spot similar issues on discs that you/Lumagen don't own, for instance, and can flag them up for attention. And then we all benefit from futher improvements...
Mike_WI, A7mad78 and EVH78 like this.

My cinema: The Cave!
My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, JVC Z1, Lumagen Pro, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500
post #7610 of 8035 Old 04-22-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H View Post
Quote:
I don't provide scenes with issues to people as I generally tell people not to look for problems and just sit back and enjoy. Once you start to see problems they are hard to ignore, so why go looking for them.
On one hand, I sympathise with this - having lived through DVD "artefact hell" where I could barely watch a film for artefact distractions I get the "once you see it, you can't unsee it" argument, however the reason many of us are here is to deepen our knowledge of AV stuff and to help look for problems so they can be addressed, and so sharing things like test scenes is generally a useful thing... Others may then spot similar issues on discs that you/Lumagen don't own, for instance, and can flag them up for attention. And then we all benefit from futher improvements...
I can see where you are going with this but honestly, if the problems are bad enough to warrant improvement, people will see them without the need for pointing them out. Think of DTM like a dynamic contrast system. We all know there are artifacts associated with those types of systems, but we rarely see issues bad enough that we’d feel the need to report them to a vendor for evaluation. In the case of DTM, I’d say most would see artifacts with a dynamic iris or contrast system before they’d see one with DTM with 99% or more of content. But if something really caught your eye and proved to be based on DTM, you have an avenue to report it. If everyone is over analyzing everything they watch and reporting every little blip then it makes it much harder for Lumagen to use their time on other things that need attention that they are trying to work on because they are inundated with reports for artifacts that most people would never see unless someone pointed them out. I’d rather they spend their time working on some other areas that need addressing and only worry about obvious artifacts from DTM that are bad enough that they easily call attention to themselves. At this point those should be extremely rare.
GerryWaz, JFR0317, OzHDHT and 5 others like this.

post #7611 of 8035 Old 04-22-2020, 09:19 AM
Hello, World!

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
I’d rather they spend their time working on some other areas that need addressing and only worry about obvious artifacts from DTM that are bad enough that they easily call attention to themselves. At this point those should be extremely rare.
Fair enough.

My cinema: The Cave!
My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, JVC Z1, Lumagen Pro, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500
post #7612 of 8035 Old 04-22-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H View Post
Fair enough.
Don't get me wrong, if Lumagen had unlimited resources I would love for them to just continually refine the DTM. But that just isn't the reality and I feel the more they try to tweak the most obscure tiny issues, the more other areas that could benefit from improvements that are in the works would go by the wayside. I'm sure down the road when those things are done, more refinement could be made to DTM.

post #7613 of 8035 Old 04-22-2020, 01:27 PM

new update:

041220- Posted 042220 Small improvement for DTM issue. Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware

http://lumagen.com/docs/radiance_pro041220.zip
OzHDHT and bobof like this.
post #7614 of 8035 Old 04-22-2020, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, if Lumagen had unlimited resources I would love for them to just continually refine the DTM. But that just isn't the reality and I feel the more they try to tweak the most obscure tiny issues, the more other areas that could benefit from improvements that are in the works would go by the wayside. I'm sure down the road when those things are done, more refinement could be made to DTM.
Kris,
Is that just me.... the sync time is now lighting fast - when I switch sources (Sony VW5000 - Trinnov Altitude 32) - various sources appear as fast as on my OLED TV.
All the light pumping when switching sources is gone.
Very pleasant experience ..... makes Lumagen feel more solid and stable.
I did see some stutters in a movie I watched (Yesterday) using my Sony 1000ES UHD BD Player.
Others in this forum with my equipment (and I know there are a few) can experiment and comment.
Ash
Mike_WI likes this.
post #7615 of 8035 Old 04-22-2020, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2598 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Kris,
Is that just me.... the sync time is now lighting fast - when I switch sources (Sony VW5000 - Trinnov Altitude 32) - various sources appear as fast as on my OLED TV.
I did see some stutters in a movie I watched (Yesterday) using my Sony 1000ES UHD BD Player.
Others in this forum with my equipment (and I know there are a few) can experiment and comment.
Ash
Ash!

I'm going to update... It's been a while - are there any settings that need to be redone after or just update and watch away!?

I salute our Immersion professionals: Curt Hoyt to which I am very thankful for positioning my JBL loudspeakers correctly to achieve a very tight bubble and the greatly missed Peter CINERAMAX whose fearless R&D in PRO-RIBBON cinemas, curation of most immersive Kaleidescape scripts and forging ahead to 55 loudspeaker Crystal Led Cinemas will pave the road ahead. And Adam Pelz for bringing the system to jawdropping life!
post #7616 of 8035 Old 04-22-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Ash!

I'm going to update... It's been a while - are there any settings that need to be redone after or just update and watch away!?
You should be fine. This update doesn't have anything that would change suggested settings or a calibration.
thebland and A7mad78 like this.

post #7617 of 8035 Old 04-22-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Kris,
Ash
Hmm. Not aware of anything that would change switching speed, but glad to hear!
Mike_WI likes this.

post #7618 of 8035 Old 04-22-2020, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Ash!

Jeff,
Hope you are doing well... what a difference two months make - when I visited you late February, Detroit was booming and now...
No changes to be done in your settings - that is my understanding.
The picture is looking fabulous, I think this update is the best update since the first DTM update.
Be safe and regards to family and Gus.
Ash
thebland and A7mad78 like this.
post #7619 of 8035 Old 04-22-2020, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Update looks great. The problem scenes in Hacksaw Ridge Chapter 10 where explosions and muzzle flash abruptly force dynamic changes are now gone. Thanks all for constantly improving our devices!

Dual Denon 5200’s for 9.1.4, Emotiva IPS-1, Crown XLS 1502, Aircom S10 cooling fans | Definitive Technology BP2002, CLR 2002, BP-2x and BPX surround and heights, PSA 3600i dual 18’s (1), PSA xs15se's (2) Definitive Technology PF15TL (2), Epic Phoenix (1)| JVC RS500, Oppo UHD-203 player, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242, Custom 150" screen with Seymour XD material, Nvidia Shield, Zidoo Z6, Panamax 5200
post #7620 of 8035 Old 04-23-2020, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Made the update and looks great and satiable and some especially the second one more enjoyment this weekend and hope every thing is fine I was face too bright image in enter the storm scene when the thunder lights but with the second update looks more comfort to my eyes

Thank you @jrp and also @Kris Deering and Patrick and all the people who works hard to bring this top quality product and service even as Ash mention the switch come more faster and until now zero hdmi handshake which i face a lot in the previous Update before the zone DTM
Craig Peer and telem like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page