New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series - Page 261 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6552Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7801 of 8030 Old 05-20-2020, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ian_Currie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Holliston, MA
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I feel extremely fortunate to have a JVC RS4500, a Lumagen Radiance Pro, a Panamorph DCR lens and to have had my system calibrated by Kris Deering too.
Not tempted to go to an RS3000, Craig?

JVC-RS4500 4k projector, Lumagen Pro, 138" 2.35:1 ST130
Panasonic DMP-UB820 & i7 PC w/1080ti running Win10/Kodi DSPlayer/madVR
Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.
Ian_Currie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7802 of 8030 Old 05-20-2020, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,997
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8050 Post(s)
Liked: 10615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post
Not tempted to go to an RS3000, Craig?
Not one bit. Why mess with things when everything is working so well. I'm 100% pleased with the picture now ! And I'm done with lamps.
jamesmil, woofer, OzHDHT and 1 others like this.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #7803 of 8030 Old 05-20-2020, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,887
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Makes you wonder if JVC is saying they are not currently building a successor to the 4500 and that this solution would be better anyway!
SJHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7804 of 8030 Old 05-20-2020, 04:24 PM
Member
 
laggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
From AVS Insider Email
(glad to hear about collaboration)

JVC and Lumagen Team Up For Unmatched HDR Performance

In a recent press release, JVC announced it was teaming up with video processing powerhouse, Lumagen, to bring unparalleled video performance to JVC's native 4K DLA-RS4500 laser home theater projector. Chief among the upgrades offered is a reference HDR dynamic tonemapping solution which allows for frame by frame analysis and compensation. DTM elevates the already stellar performance of the RS4500 to a new level.

To get the most from this combination of hardware, both JVC and Lumagen recommend Kris Deering of Deep Dive AV for setup and calibration. While the RS4500 and Lumagen Radiance Pro video processor are intuitive enough for end-user setup, ensuring the absolute best performance requires a knowledgeable calibrator such as Kris to get the most from the hardware.

Kris Deering added that his "goal is to optimize the visual experience through advanced calibration and comprehensive system setup. The Deep Dive AV-JVC/Lumagen combination provides the best of both worlds: stunning picture quality and minimal operator intervention. Simply turn the system on, select an input, sit back and enjoy."

The press release went on to state the specific performance upgrades the Lumagen processor adds:

1. Dynamic Tone Mapping for 4K HDR material – Dynamically analyzes HDR images on a frame-by-frame basis and automatically adjusts the brightness and color to optimize HDR performance for each scene, and each frame.

2. Superior 4K Upscaling – Lumagen is renowned for the quality of their No-Ring scaling.

3. Advanced Calibration Capability – Allows for comprehensive 1D and 3D LUT calibration to extract the best possible performance from the JVC projector and any input source.

4. Custom sizing and aspect ratio geometry controls for optimal display of all content.

5. Auto Aspect Ratio Selection for UltraWide Screens – Properly display any aspect ratio within the UltraWide screen automatically, preserving the source’s intended aspect ratio.

6. Non-Linear Stretch – Automatically adjusts 16:9, and higher, aspect ratio sources to fill an UltraWide screen.

Any idea if this can or will be implemented in the RS-1000, 2000 and 3000? I understand it has internal DTM but for those of us who prefer using a lumagen pro instead.
laggs is offline  
post #7805 of 8030 Old 05-20-2020, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,997
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8050 Post(s)
Liked: 10615
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggs View Post
Any idea if this can or will be implemented in the RS-1000, 2000 and 3000? I understand it has internal DTM but for those of us who prefer using a lumagen pro instead.

Absolutely. Contact Kris Deering!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Craig Peer is offline  
post #7806 of 8030 Old 05-20-2020, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,997
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8050 Post(s)
Liked: 10615
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Makes you wonder if JVC is saying they are not currently building a successor to the 4500 and that this solution would be better anyway!

I’d bet that there is no replacement anytime soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woofer likes this.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #7807 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,771
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 560
I would appreciate it if someone could answer the following question regarding the latest firmware updates..... my Radiance Pro was calibrated for 1D & 3D LUT with LightSpace prior to the current firmware's ability to perform 1D LUT at 12 bit. If I upgrade to any version as of 042120 will the prior calibration be affected because of the new 12 bit precision for 1D LUT? That is: is the 12bit 1D LUT capability the default setting or does it need to be enabled via the menu interface? I'm holding off updating my firmware until I fully understand any possible consequences. Thanks!

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240, 127" 16x9 Stewart StudioTek G4 fixed screen, Panasonic UB420, Sony UBP-X800, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
docrog is online now  
post #7808 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 7,432
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2790 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggs View Post
Any idea if this can or will be implemented in the RS-1000, 2000 and 3000? I understand it has internal DTM but for those of us who prefer using a lumagen pro instead.
Perhaps I’m reading the press release wrong, but there is no technology announcement here, other than re-stating the existing capabilities of the Radiance and 4500. I read it more as JVC endorsing a calibration solution as delivered by Kris utilizing both devices and his workflow/expertise.
OzHDHT and Craig Peer like this.

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 32/24 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system
thrang is offline  
post #7809 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 11,228
Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked: 8047
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Perhaps I’m reading the press release wrong, but there is no technology announcement here, other than re-stating the existing capabilities of the Radiance and 4500. I read it more as JVC endorsing a calibration solution as delivered by Kris utilizing both devices and his workflow/expertise.
Correct. This is NOT a tech announcement at all. JVC had me do a speaking engagement for their dealers back in February and we discussed the limitations of the 4500 and I brought up what the Radiance brings to the table. They investigated it more and got a lot of feedback from me and others using the solution. They wanted to put something out there for their dealers that made them aware of this product synergy (4500/Lumagen) and wanted to be sure that they had an avenue for ensuring it was setup/calibrated properly (me). They asked Jim and I if we were okay with it and we said that was fine. Obviously this can apply to any of the JVC line, but they wanted to use it to stress that the 4500 is a great candidate given that it is more of a CI product and can benefit a lot from the Radiance. Obviously I do A LOT of JVCs with the Radiance outside of the 4500 (I have the 3000 with a Radiance/DCR in my own setup), but that is the product they wanted to emphasize to their dealers.
Mike_WI and llang269 like this.

My Home Theater UPDATED JUNE 2020
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #7810 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,504
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Correct. This is NOT a tech announcement at all. JVC had me do a speaking engagement for their dealers back in February and we discussed the limitations of the 4500 and I brought up what the Radiance brings to the table. They investigated it more and got a lot of feedback from me and others using the solution. They wanted to put something out there for their dealers that made them aware of this product synergy (4500/Lumagen) and wanted to be sure that they had an avenue for ensuring it was setup/calibrated properly (me). They asked Jim and I if we were okay with it and we said that was fine. Obviously this can apply to any of the JVC line, but they wanted to use it to stress that the 4500 is a great candidate given that it is more of a CI product and can benefit a lot from the Radiance. Obviously I do A LOT of JVCs with the Radiance outside of the 4500 (I have the 3000 with a Radiance/DCR in my own setup), but that is the product they wanted to emphasize to their dealers.
I like it because it promotes Lumagen rather than cannibalizing with JVC internal DTM.
Thanks
Kris Deering likes this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (051820 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Mike_WI is offline  
post #7811 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gordon Fraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,957
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Correct. This is NOT a tech announcement at all. JVC had me do a speaking engagement for their dealers back in February and we discussed the limitations of the 4500 and I brought up what the Radiance brings to the table. They investigated it more and got a lot of feedback from me and others using the solution. They wanted to put something out there for their dealers that made them aware of this product synergy (4500/Lumagen) and wanted to be sure that they had an avenue for ensuring it was setup/calibrated properly (me). They asked Jim and I if we were okay with it and we said that was fine. Obviously this can apply to any of the JVC line, but they wanted to use it to stress that the 4500 is a great candidate given that it is more of a CI product and can benefit a lot from the Radiance. Obviously I do A LOT of JVCs with the Radiance outside of the 4500 (I have the 3000 with a Radiance/DCR in my own setup), but that is the product they wanted to emphasize to their dealers.

JVC Europe(UK) and one of their main projector distributors in UK has been doing a similar thing through myself for the last two years. Z1/RS4500 and Pro..is a classic combo done right. As is the N9/RS3000 and it's cheaper siblings...

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
Gordon Fraser is offline  
post #7812 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 11,228
Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked: 8047
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
I would appreciate it if someone could answer the following question regarding the latest firmware updates..... my Radiance Pro was calibrated for 1D & 3D LUT with LightSpace prior to the current firmware's ability to perform 1D LUT at 12 bit. If I upgrade to any version as of 042120 will the prior calibration be affected because of the new 12 bit precision for 1D LUT? That is: is the 12bit 1D LUT capability the default setting or does it need to be enabled via the menu interface? I'm holding off updating my firmware until I fully understand any possible consequences. Thanks!
No effect at all on the calibration. The 1D LUT in the Radiance has ALWAYS been 12 bit precision. The limitation was the interface for the adjustment was limited to about 10 bit precision, so there wasn't a way to take full advantage of the precision there. The firmware fixed that. So future calibrations can take advantage of this when Calibration software supports it or if it is done manually.

My Home Theater UPDATED JUNE 2020
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #7813 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steelman1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,003
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 407
New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser View Post
JVC Europe(UK) and one of their main projector distributors in UK has been doing a similar thing through myself for the last two years. Z1/RS4500 and Pro..is a classic combo done right. As is the N9/RS3000 and it's cheaper siblings...

Glad you mentioned their siblings Gordon. Thought I was going to have to pony up for a new N9


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike_WI likes this.
steelman1991 is offline  
post #7814 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,771
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
No effect at all on the calibration. The 1D LUT in the Radiance has ALWAYS been 12 bit precision. The limitation was the interface for the adjustment was limited to about 10 bit precision, so there wasn't a way to take full advantage of the precision there. The firmware fixed that. So future calibrations can take advantage of this when Calibration software supports it or if it is done manually.
Thanks, Kris. This point was not clarified when I was speaking with Craig Rounds last night about updating my firmware from v011120 (when he calibrated in late January). He mentioned that I'd likely see a significant improvement in typical DTM with these updates, beyond benefiting just a few problematic scenes.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240, 127" 16x9 Stewart StudioTek G4 fixed screen, Panasonic UB420, Sony UBP-X800, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
docrog is online now  
post #7815 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 11,228
Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked: 8047
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Thanks, Kris. This point was not clarified when I was speaking with Craig Rounds last night about updating my firmware from v011120 (when he calibrated in late January). He mentioned that I'd likely see a significant improvement in typical DTM with these updates, beyond benefiting just a few problematic scenes.
Your firmware is definitely a lot older than most, so I would agree that the DTM would benefit quite a bit from the latest update.

My Home Theater UPDATED JUNE 2020
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #7816 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,771
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Your firmware is definitely a lot older than most, so I would agree that the DTM would benefit quite a bit from the latest update.
My issue is that, since I don't have a laptop that's able to run the update program, I have to physically remove the Lumagen from by HT and bring it to my office PC. I've been waiting until there were further (truly observable) DTM improvements (relative to my typical Blu-Ray & streaming HDR habits) to warrant that disassembly.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240, 127" 16x9 Stewart StudioTek G4 fixed screen, Panasonic UB420, Sony UBP-X800, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12

Last edited by docrog; 05-21-2020 at 10:24 AM.
docrog is online now  
post #7817 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,997
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8050 Post(s)
Liked: 10615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
I like it because it promotes Lumagen rather than cannibalizing with JVC internal DTM.
Thanks
The RS4500 doesn't have internal DTM, so it really benefits from the Lumagen. And, Chris Deutsch of JVC has seen the Radiance Pro's DTM on my RS4500 in my theater, so he knows how well it works !
Mike_WI and DannyBoy73 like this.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #7818 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,504
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The RS4500 doesn't have internal DTM, so it really benefits from the Lumagen. And, Chris Deutsch of JVC has seen the Radiance Pro's DTM on my RS4500 in my theater, so he knows how well it works !
Ahh. Thanks. I didn't know that about RS4500.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (051820 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Mike_WI is offline  
post #7819 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kelvin1965S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 3,852
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser View Post
JVC Europe(UK) Z1/RS4500 and Pro..is a classic combo done right. As is the N9/RS3000 and it's cheaper siblings...
To be honest; I'm amazed at how good my (technically now 'ancient') X7500 looks since I (finally) got round to calibrating it with my Pro and setting up DTM properly: Even an 'old' JVC, plus a Pro in a suitably black environment is stunning.

If I understand correctly, the 12 bit 1D LUT will give me some benefit if I adjust manually? I haven't updated to that firmware yet and was planning on doing some touching up on the greyscale, so I may as well do this update first.
Mike_WI and DannyBoy73 like this.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet". William Shakespeare 1615
Kelvin1965S is offline  
post #7820 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 05:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hello, everyone.

I have borrowed a Lumagen Radiance Pro from my friend to try it.
Do you have turning on sequence recommendation?
I have source(Apple TV 4k, blu-ray player) connected to HDMI input of Lumagen, HDMI Video of Lumagen to Sony VPL-VW695ES and Audio out only of Lumagen to Trinnov AL32(split video and audio HDMI signal).
What should be turned on first and then and last?
I ask about turning on sequence to make sure no HDMI handshaking problem.

Thank you for your help and support.
Nattypol is offline  
post #7821 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 05:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattypol View Post
Hello, everyone.

I have borrowed a Lumagen Radiance Pro from my friend to try it.
Do you have turning on sequence recommendation?
I have source(Apple TV 4k, blu-ray player) connected to HDMI input of Lumagen, HDMI Video of Lumagen to Sony VPL-VW695ES and Audio out only of Lumagen to Trinnov AL32(split video and audio HDMI signal).
What should be turned on first and then and last?
I ask about turning on sequence to make sure no HDMI handshaking problem.

Thank you for your help and support.
Jim Peterson recently posted some instructions that might be helpful to you: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vi...l#post59550202
Nattypol likes this.
Kurvenal is offline  
post #7822 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 08:48 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,609
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 1553
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
I would appreciate it if someone could answer the following question regarding the latest firmware updates..... my Radiance Pro was calibrated for 1D & 3D LUT with LightSpace prior to the current firmware's ability to perform 1D LUT at 12 bit. If I upgrade to any version as of 042120 will the prior calibration be affected because of the new 12 bit precision for 1D LUT? That is: is the 12bit 1D LUT capability the default setting or does it need to be enabled via the menu interface? I'm holding off updating my firmware until I fully understand any possible consequences. Thanks!
Updating to the latest release will not affect your current calibration.

Your calibration has 10-bit values in the processor's LUT memory locations. For your case the extra two bits are added as 0, and so do not change the levels at all.

I always recommend downloading the configuration to a PC as a back-up before updating, but this has nothing to do with the increase in 1D LUT precision.

So you can go ahead and do the update.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
jrp is offline  
post #7823 of 8030 Old 05-21-2020, 08:52 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,609
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 1553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post
To be honest; I'm amazed at how good my (technically now 'ancient') X7500 looks since I (finally) got round to calibrating it with my Pro and setting up DTM properly: Even an 'old' JVC, plus a Pro in a suitably black environment is stunning.

If I understand correctly, the 12 bit 1D LUT will give me some benefit if I adjust manually? I haven't updated to that firmware yet and was planning on doing some touching up on the greyscale, so I may as well do this update first.
You can "touch up" a 1D LUT that was 10-bits and gain the extra two bits precision manually if you like. The biggest benefit is near black as the the percentage step size is larger there. So the 12-bits in the 1D LUT can help you get lower dE's near black, and brighter gray scale points as well.
Kelvin1965S likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
jrp is offline  
post #7824 of 8030 Old 05-22-2020, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,771
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Updating to the latest release will not affect your current calibration. Your calibration has 10-bit values in the processor's LUT memory locations. For your case the extra two bits are added as 0, and so do not change the levels at all. I always recommend downloading the configuration to a PC as a back-up before updating, but this has nothing to do with the increase in 1D LUT precision. So you can go ahead and do the update.
Thank you for that information, Jim. I've successfully updated firmware to v.050120 without any apparent glitches, I've looked throughout the user manual, but I'm unable to locate any information related to downloading my 4240 configuration to a PC (or uploading the saved configuration) from the Lumagen. Could you please point me to a recipe for those processes? I'd very much like to have that ability going forward.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240, 127" 16x9 Stewart StudioTek G4 fixed screen, Panasonic UB420, Sony UBP-X800, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
docrog is online now  
post #7825 of 8030 Old 05-22-2020, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
JFR0317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 196
JFR0317 is offline  
post #7826 of 8030 Old 05-22-2020, 08:50 AM
Member
 
bferbrache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Leicester UK
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Thank you for that information, Jim. I've successfully updated firmware to v.050120 without any apparent glitches, I've looked throughout the user manual, but I'm unable to locate any information related to downloading my 4240 configuration to a PC (or uploading the saved configuration) from the Lumagen. Could you please point me to a recipe for those processes? I'd very much like to have that ability going forward.
Don't forget to save the file once it is downloaded - the utility doesn't do it automatically. Once you have downloaded the file you need to choose save file in the utility menu and give it a name such as '2020 May backup'
I'm pretty sure I had to type the .RXD extension to the file name as well.
bferbrache is offline  
post #7827 of 8030 Old 05-22-2020, 10:30 AM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,609
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 1553
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Thank you for that information, Jim. I've successfully updated firmware to v.050120 without any apparent glitches, I've looked throughout the user manual, but I'm unable to locate any information related to downloading my 4240 configuration to a PC (or uploading the saved configuration) from the Lumagen. Could you please point me to a recipe for those processes? I'd very much like to have that ability going forward.
As JFR0317 says the config reader is here: http://lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=utilities

This runs in a similar way to a software update. Open the program, select the COM port and 230k BAUD. Click Download from Radiance. Once this is complete, you need to save the configuration to a file your PC.

To upload the configuration reverse these steps.
JFR0317 likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
jrp is offline  
post #7828 of 8030 Old 05-22-2020, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,771
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Thanks @JFR0317 & @jrp . I have downloaded that utility and will perform the back-up the next time that I update the firmware. Much appreciated!
JFR0317 likes this.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240, 127" 16x9 Stewart StudioTek G4 fixed screen, Panasonic UB420, Sony UBP-X800, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
docrog is online now  
post #7829 of 8030 Old 05-22-2020, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
danam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: paris - france
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If you run a Windows 10 computer, you might (not sure) encounter a compatibility problem (nothing will happen), don't hesitate to activate the "Windows 8 compatibility" feature.
It worked perfectly for me.

=> right-click on the file then "Properties" then "Compatibility" tab, activate with "Windows 8".
danam is offline  
post #7830 of 8030 Old 05-22-2020, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,771
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by danam View Post
If you run a Windows 10 computer, you might (not sure) encounter a compatibility problem (nothing will happen), don't hesitate to activate the "Windows 8 compatibility" feature. It worked perfectly for me. => right-click on the file then "Properties" then "Compatibility" tab, activate with "Windows 8".
Thanks, I'll keep my eye out for that issue. I've had no problems running the firmware updates either of the two previous times on my Windows 10 PC.

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240, 127" 16x9 Stewart StudioTek G4 fixed screen, Panasonic UB420, Sony UBP-X800, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
docrog is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Video Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off