New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3082Likes

post #1171 of 4851 Old 01-30-2017, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
4K HDR Gamma setting in JVC RS600 vs. Lumagen Pro

I use Lumagen Pro and Chromapure to calibrate my RS600. When I load a 4K disc with HDR the projector automatically selects Gamma D. Does anyone know if such an extreme gamma profile as Gamma D presents a conflict with Lumagen and Chromapure? Or would I be better off manually selecting Gamma Normal or Gamma A before running Chromapure Auto Calibrate?

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 4851 Old 01-30-2017, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
This is really good info. I've always powered on my projector first (JVC RS600). I will switch it around to last and give it a try.

Also, do you let each device fully boot up before starting the next piece? Thanks. SJ
Yes. I happen to use a Logitech Harmony remote. I've built in enough delay so that the projector come on completely well after all other devices in the chain are on.

JVC RS500 - Stewart Firehawk - Lumagen Radiance Pro - Anthem D2V - Revel Salon speakers - SV Sound SB13 Ultra sub - Tivo/Nvidia Shield TV/Panasonic UB900

post #1173 of 4851 Old 01-31-2017, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi @jrp , any status update on the development progress of the HDR Intensity Mapping functionality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 4851 Old 02-01-2017, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Arrow FW Beta 011417

Link

Quote:
Beta 011417-
Fix for audio issue causing loss of audio or incorrect audio format with some AVR's.
Another audio fix having to do with occasional dropouts with audio out of 18Ghz card.
Fix for issue that with some setups failed to use HDR or 2020 on output when expected.
New 18Ghz input card firmware fixes occasional video loss on input mode change.
Other small improvements.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware ---systems with 18Ghz input cards will have ~1 minute bootup time on first power up after this update

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #1175 of 4851 Old 02-02-2017, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
Don't recall seeing that last line in a firmware update. Assume it is updating the 18 Ghz input chip software and has to do this on boot up. Assuming I'm correct, does that mean if we roll back to a previous firmware that it does this again to update to the previous chip software? Thanks. SJ
post #1176 of 4851 Old 02-02-2017, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Question FW Beta 011417 query

Quote:
Don't recall seeing that last line in a firmware update. Assume it is updating the 18 Ghz input chip software and has to do this on boot up. Assuming I'm correct, does that mean if we roll back to a previous firmware that it does this again to update to the previous chip software? Thanks. SJ
Good question.
I have no idea.

cc @JPR

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]

Last edited by Mike_WI; 02-03-2017 at 05:28 AM.
post #1177 of 4851 Old 02-02-2017, 05:19 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmil View Post
Hi @jrp , any status update on the development progress of the HDR Intensity Mapping functionality?
We have continued to have our hands full getting the 18 GHz I/O kinks worked out and have not been making much progress on the HDR Intensity Mapping.

So my most recent estimate of the end of January is now looking like end of February. However, we continue to prioritize bugs and compatibility issues higher than new features so there is a chance for this to slip again. We believe the latest release (011417) takes care of most issues with 18 GHz I/O. I am hopeful we can now focus on the HDR intensity Mapping.
jamesmil, Mark_H, SJHT and 5 others like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1178 of 4851 Old 02-02-2017, 11:27 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The ability to roll back the HDMI 2.0 input chip software (provided by the chip vendor) is not in the earlier releases. Testing here shows the new code is better than the old input chip code and we do not expect it would be needed.

No reason to spend time on this unless it becomes necessary. However, if it became necessary, we would have a special release to change the input chip's code back to the earlier release.
alex_t likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1179 of 4851 Old 02-03-2017, 06:07 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibia View Post
I use Lumagen Pro and Chromapure to calibrate my RS600. When I load a 4K disc with HDR the projector automatically selects Gamma D. Does anyone know if such an extreme gamma profile as Gamma D presents a conflict with Lumagen and Chromapure? Or would I be better off manually selecting Gamma Normal or Gamma A before running Chromapure Auto Calibrate?
I would not use Auto Calibrate of 3D Lut for HDR, simply because there is no Display on the market that covers whole Rec. 2020 Gamut, therefore Autocalibration simply won't be able to find that delta required to do the matching bit, all your points will be unmatched, simply because there is no 100% correct reference for this. HDR calibration you have to do this manually, and trying bringing down delta error as much as you can, and they would be more than 2% for sure. I am about to receive my Oppo UDP-203 so I'll be able to calibrate mine RS400 via LumagenPro4444 and will post calibration results in the separate thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...ts-thread.html

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
post #1180 of 4851 Old 02-03-2017, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thanks for your comments SoulOfUniverse. I know no currently available display can be calibrated all the way out to 100% saturation in 2020 color space but I was unaware Auto Cal does not yet support HDR calibration until Tom Huffman pointed it out yesterday on the Chromapure 3 thread in the Display Calibration forum.

Dennis
post #1181 of 4851 Old 02-04-2017, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Arrow Beta 020117 FW

Beta 020117

Quote:
Beta 020117
- Fix for an issue with audio sometimes not turning on with some equipment at power-on.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware

post #1182 of 4851 Old 02-09-2017, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

HDR calibration attempts for projectors

FYI re projectors and gamma curve for HDR....
(I'm more interested now that up and running with JVC RS520 and new beta FW36 on the Oppo UDP-203)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50609353
Quote:
Custom PQ Gamma curve using the JVC Autocal software
I gave it a go this morning, it took about one hour to get a very decent result. This completely solves the dilemma between shadow detail or raised black floor.

I attach three screenshots showing 1) How the custom gamma curve looks like before calibration (I selected a normal preset as sadly gamma D isn't selectable as a starting point) 2) What the curve looks on the JVC Autocal after calibration and 3) What the curve looks like after the 11 point manual calibration.

Looks great and the best I've seen HDR. As you can see on the chart, no loss of detail in the low end and full native on/off contrast, unlike when using Dark Gamma above +2. Unfortunaltely this seems to be the only way to get a near perfect PQ Gamma on the JVCs.

I tried with The Shallows, it looked great and I tried with Point Break, which is mastered to 4000nits and according to metadata has content going quite high above 1200nits, I couldn't see any obvious clipping and the picture wasn't dark in any way.

So as far as I can see, clipping content around 1200nits (JVC Contrast set to zero and bright gamma set to +2) looks fine with all titles, as expected. If you find a title for which it doesn't look good, please let us know.

This calibration is only good for my onw setup (200nits peak in high lamp, iris fully open) as unfortunately it's not possible to adjust the gamma settings with a custom curve, but if some with a similar setup want to try it, let me know and I'll post the file.

post #1183 of 4851 Old 02-09-2017, 08:49 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
If this is the case, I'm already waiting quite a while for a lamp-based projector to come up, and this will add extensively to the delay. If you ask jrp about this stuff its typical to blame cabling.
That is because it is the cable almost every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
My issue with that is it isn't consistent. I have a special Control4 macro for power cycling the Lumagen Pro because this got to be such a regular occurrence (actually it was an issue with my Radiance XE 3D as well). I hope more can be done in firmware, but preferably we get a solid guide in documentation at some point that is the last word on the matter--including different steps/guidelines if you use active cabling or not (and other variables).

Its annoying and I don't deal with it in any other room in the house without a processor, except VERY rarely. And in the rest of the house I run HDMI matrix, HDMI over Cat6, and multiple rooms with AVRs across numerous model years. Much more solid than the theater with the Radiance.
The Radiance Pro has very fast 4k edge rates. We have no control over these edge rates from the chip, and in fact have asked for more control but we were told it was not possible. The edge rate is the primary determinant for how high-speed a cable is needed. The customers who use the cables I recommend pretty much have few issues with cables. Not zero of course because this is after all HDMI.

The Radiance Pro HDMI 2.0 chips are autonomous and they control the HDMI interface. It is very hard for us to work around issues in these chips and more importantly in other devices. In the RadianceXS/XE/2XXX products we spent a great deal of time finding and working around HDMI issues in other devices. Issues like audio interrupts not implemented, timing requirements between actions that are not in the spec, requiring optional parameters when they should calculate them per the spec, etc. In the Pro we do not have the control over the HDMI 2.0 chips to add these work-arounds. So we are dependent on the chip vendor to find and fix most compatibility issues. Fortunately there are some compatibility issues we can address and have as they are discovered.

On a positive note, the latest Radiance Pro release (020117) has new microcode for the 18 GHz HDMI 2.0 input chip which does resolve a couple input side HDMI issues. It is not certain if these were issues in he the HDMI 2.0 18 GHz input chip or in the source devices that are being worked around, but they have been resolved. As the chip vendor provides new HDMI 2.0 input and output chip microcode updates we will include them in the the Radiance Pro updates once they pass our testing.

That latest release also fixes a couple of audio issues on the Radiance Pro output side.

=======

One trick to help with power on order is to manually set the audio EDID and the 3D, HDR and Rec2020 modes in the Radiance Pro based on the audio processor and TV/projector's capabilities. This info is in the manual for the video (Global/video menu for HDR/2020 and output menu to 3D Options). However, for audio there is a special code to manually enable all HDMI audio modes sent back from the Pro to the sources. The code is MENU 0943 (and then a Save).

With these manual changes the Pro knows what audio modes and what video modes to report back to the sources even if the audio processor and/or TV/projector are turned off or even not connected. So these settings, in conjunction with current software releases, can help tame the power on order issue.
turls, Kris Deering and Mike_WI like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1184 of 4851 Old 02-09-2017, 09:04 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
I would not use Auto Calibrate of 3D Lut for HDR, simply because there is no Display on the market that covers whole Rec. 2020 Gamut, therefore Autocalibration simply won't be able to find that delta required to do the matching bit, all your points will be unmatched, simply because there is no 100% correct reference for this. HDR calibration you have to do this manually, and trying bringing down delta error as much as you can, and they would be more than 2% for sure. I am about to receive my Oppo UDP-203 so I'll be able to calibrate mine RS400 via LumagenPro4444 and will post calibration results in the separate thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...ts-thread.html
I believe you should use the 3D LUT for Rec 2020 calibration. Certainly no display is full Rec 2020 and some are barely more than Rec709. However, the 3D LUT calibration software is supposed to do "Tone Mapping" on the colors just as the Radiance Pro HDR Intensity Mapping will do the intensity portion of the tone mapping.

You want all colors that can be accurately represented on the TV/projector to be accurate (with possible roll-off near the TV/projectors Gamut limits). The way to achieve this is with a 3D LUT.

You are right to be concerned with the fact that the TV/projector cannot get to Rec 2020. That is where the calibration software ability to roll off (or possibly clamp) colors outside the Gamut of the TV/projector comes in. While I have not used it yet, Lightspace has this capability, and I am sure Calman will add it (if not already in - not sure).

So to have the image look as good as it can within the limits of the TV/projector you need to do the 3D LUT calibration, and you have to make some trade-offs of color roll-off beyond the Gamut of the TV/projector of maybe a hard clip of colors at the Gamut extent. The same applies to intensity beyond the capability of the TV/projector and you would use the Radiance Pro's upcoming HDR Intensity Mapping for that.
SoulOfUniverse likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen

Last edited by jrp; 02-09-2017 at 09:26 PM.
post #1185 of 4851 Old 02-09-2017, 09:24 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibia View Post
The Gamma you choose in the projector/TV does not matter as far as the Radiance Pro pipeline at default settings is concerned.

When you calibrate, the TV/projector Gamma does affect the calibration since the measured x,y Y points will change verses a different Gamma, but the calibration software 3D LUT generation will use these measured points to generate the 3D LUT appropriate for the setting you chose.

Note, as with all calibration, a poor choice of settings in the TV/projector can force unnecessarily large corrections in the 3D LUT which in turn can reduce the effective precision of the image. In an extreme case this can cause contouring. I think this is the issue you are asking about and means you should choose a "reasonable" Gamma profile in the TV/projector and not an "extreme" profile before you calibrate.
Mike_WI likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1186 of 4851 Old 02-11-2017, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_ View Post
Hi All,

I currently have a Radiance Pro calibrated using Chromapure. I'm looking to switch to a MacBook pro and understand people have successfully used Chromapure using Parallels for mac but I don't know if I'll be able to update the firmware on the radiance pro. Can anyone confirm if this is possible? Any advice or success stories appreciated.

Thanks
Just a follow up - I can update the Radiance Pro in Parallels and calibrate my Mac screen fine using X-rite's software. When trying to calibrate using Chromapure I'm told that my meter's serial number doesn't match my software licence however when running on a regular PC it works ok. I've a 2016 MacBook Pro so using USB-C & an adapter - the X-rite i1 display pro is recognised fine in windows and Mac. I've tried reinstalling chromapure and the Xrite drivers. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful.
Thanks in advance
post #1187 of 4851 Old 02-11-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Not sure about Chromapure, but I know that Lightspace only works with OEM meters and won't work otherwise (even if you have the exact meter but sold differently). You should contact Chromapure support. SJ
post #1188 of 4851 Old 02-12-2017, 02:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 3569
Quote:
Not sure about Chromapure, but I know that Lightspace only works with OEM meters and won't work otherwise (even if you have the exact meter but sold differently). You should contact Chromapure support. SJ
Hi,

There is a alternative connection method to use LightSpace (DPS or any license level) with X-Rite i1Display PRO Retail, SpectraCAL C6, SpectraCAL C6-HDR, HP DreamColor, NEC SpectraSensor Pro, Quato Silver Haze 3, ColorMukni Display additionally from the meters LightSpace already supporting.

Contact me here for more details: http://www.displaycalibrations.com/contact_us.html

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #1189 of 4851 Old 02-12-2017, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_ View Post
Just a follow up - I can update the Radiance Pro in Parallels and calibrate my Mac screen fine using X-rite's software. When trying to calibrate using Chromapure I'm told that my meter's serial number doesn't match my software licence however when running on a regular PC it works ok. I've a 2016 MacBook Pro so using USB-C & an adapter - the X-rite i1 display pro is recognised fine in windows and Mac. I've tried reinstalling chromapure and the Xrite drivers. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance
Hi, try to uninstall the X-Rite Device Manager and try again with ChromaPure.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #1190 of 4851 Old 02-14-2017, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
For anyone else using a mac and Chromapure I've not got the meter working using windows via bootcamp. I'm sure with a bit of persistence it could work with parallels but I'm pleased I can now connect and calibrate as before.
post #1191 of 4851 Old 02-14-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
Hi, REC.2020 is only being used as container, all current UHD movies has been mastered using DCI-P3 colorspace with D65 White Point, so colors beyond that gamut coverage are not being used (currently); there no plans to been used soon since there no display in consumer market to be able to reproduce them.

Even 30inch 4K Sony BVM-X300 (OLED) which is being used for movies mastering @ 1.000 or 1.100 nits; not all the panels can reach 100% DCI-P3 gamut coverage.

post #1192 of 4851 Old 02-15-2017, 09:36 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
The ability to roll back the HDMI 2.0 input chip software (provided by the chip vendor) is not in the earlier releases. Testing here shows the new code is better than the old input chip code and we do not expect it would be needed.

No reason to spend time on this unless it becomes necessary. However, if it became necessary, we would have a special release to change the input chip's code back to the earlier release.
Looking like there are issues for some people with the new 18 GHz input chip microcode from the chip vendor. Will be doing a "roll-back" in the next Radiance Pro release for this microcode to the previous version.

Frustrating as continued 18 GHz debug efforts mean more delay for the HDR Intensity Mapping.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1193 of 4851 Old 02-16-2017, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Looking like there are issues for some people with the new 18 GHz input chip microcode from the chip vendor. Will be doing a "roll-back" in the next Radiance Pro release for this microcode to the previous version.

Frustrating as continued 18 GHz debug efforts mean more delay for the HDR Intensity Mapping.
JRP -

Can you elaborate on the issues?
I don't think I'm having any, just curious.

Mike

post #1194 of 4851 Old 02-16-2017, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
Quote:
JRP -

Mike
+1...would be good to know any ghosts we chase down may already have their source known...

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 16 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system
post #1195 of 4851 Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Automatic projector modes via RS232 info?

IIRC the Radiance outputs information about the incoming stream on the RS232 port. Has anyone parsed this info to then automate switching projector modes or lens memories etc? I was thinking for HDR it would be great to auto switch to a mode with the iris more open etc.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #1196 of 4851 Old 02-19-2017, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am considering replacing my RS1 with the JVC RS420. My current setup uses a Lumagen Radiance XD and Prismasonic 1500 anamorphic lens for 2.35 content. If I upgrade to the RS420, my XD will not support 4k or 3D as is, so it must be replaced or removed from the setup. So I can either upgrade to a Lumagen Pro series or remove the video processor all together. The former is a budgetary concern at this point, so I am wondering what the Pro series is really offering with the newer equipment being sold. If the 420 feature a 2.35 AR setting that can be used with my lens, do I really need a video processor, or the lens? I am also upgrading to one of the Yamaha Aventure AVRs to support 4k, 3D, Atmos, etc. I need advice on choosing my replacement equipment. I'd appreciate your opinions.
post #1197 of 4851 Old 02-19-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmack View Post
I am considering replacing my RS1 with the JVC RS420. My current setup uses a Lumagen Radiance XD and Prismasonic 1500 anamorphic lens for 2.35 content. If I upgrade to the RS420, my XD will not support 4k or 3D as is, so it must be replaced or removed from the setup. So I can either upgrade to a Lumagen Pro series or remove the video processor all together. The former is a budgetary concern at this point, so I am wondering what the Pro series is really offering with the newer equipment being sold. If the 420 feature a 2.35 AR setting that can be used with my lens, do I really need a video processor, or the lens? I am also upgrading to one of the Yamaha Aventure AVRs to support 4k, 3D, Atmos, etc. I need advice on choosing my replacement equipment. I'd appreciate your opinions.
I would consider the RS520 and no VP.
You can always add the Lumagen Pro later.

Mike

post #1198 of 4851 Old 02-19-2017, 10:53 AM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
JRP -

Mike
The chip vendor’s 18 GHz microcode issue is sometimes not locking on the input signal at the correct sampling rate on an input switch (gives a weird looking "low res" image specific to that input) and seems to affect only a couple systems. Switching to another input and back appears to resolve it.

This issue was not seen with the older microcode. So it appears to be microcode release specific and we have reported it to the chip vendor. Hopefully they can reproduce this and correct it in an upcoming release.

Given all the bug fixes in the latest 18 GHz input chip microcode, and that the issue is limited to a couple systems, we are now thinking we will not roll back the 18 GHz input chip microcode. Should it become necessary, we will replace input boards that show the issue. We may still add a way to use the older microcode should more systems show the issue.
Mike_WI likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1199 of 4851 Old 02-19-2017, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I would consider the RS520 and no VP.
You can always add the Lumagen Pro later.

Mike
Why the RS520 in this case?
post #1200 of 4851 Old 02-19-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmack View Post
Why the RS520 in this case?
Thinking about it more you could also talk to JRP about Lumagen upgrade and get one of the smaller Pro units.

RE: JVC RS420 vs 520
- 520 has higher native and dynamic contrast ratio (130K:1 vs 40K:1 and 1.3M:1 vs 400K:1)
- a few more menu / options (need to dig deep in manual to find)
- ? bit handling --
Quote:
With that said, the RS400 had a limitation in it's video processing where one link in the processing chain was 10 bit so the end result was only 10bit. The RS500 and RS600 have full 12bit end to end video processing.
I wonder if we can get confirmation that the RS420 has been updated?
The RS420 will lack the DCI filter for P3 color reproduction.
-
Quote:
All three units use the exact same 12bit DiLA panels, just like last year, but the RS400 and the RS420 uses two "last generation" wire grid polarizers and one current generation wire grid polarizer. The RS500/520 and RS600/620 use three current generation wire grid polarizers which helps account for much higher native contrast performance.
ref

But moving up from the RS1 will be a dramatic improvement no matter what.
I just did the RS20 to RS520. Great time to upgrade.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page