New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3040Likes

post #2701 of 4794 Old 02-23-2018, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post
Could you clarify please
1. Once I change CMS0 to CMS1 and perform the calibration, do the calibration settings populate to all CMS1, (the original CMS1 that was set as 4k in and SDR2020 out)
2. More importantly, When I change it back to CMS0 is the REC709 calibration that I had done on CMS0 still there or do I need to recalibrate it under REC709
3. Unfortunately as Jim mentioned , it seems that although the JVC will not revert to Gamma D, it does engage the filter that cuts brightness.
1) As long as you do not check Reset your new CMS1 calibration will only be updated. If Reset is checked everything formerly in CMS1 will be wiped out and you start at square one.
2) Your former CMS0 Rec. 709 calibration will remain the same.
3) I setup my RS600 so the color filter is always used no matter the input signal. I value better color over higher brightness. The Ultra High Pressure mercury lamps used by most consumer projector manufacturers do so because they are more energy efficient than xenon lamps used
in cinema projectors. Their drawback is that they emit loads of light in the yellow wavelengths. Unless this is sharply curtailed reds will have a tendency to look a bit on the orange side and greens look more lime like. In projector marketing lumens count. The more a
manufacturer allows yellow to influence reds and greens the more lumens you will have. Calibration improves color and contrast but you pay for it in lumens. The JVC color filter has the same effect, better color but lower lumens.
D_B_0673 likes this.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 4794 Old 02-23-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibia View Post
1) As long as you do not check Reset your new CMS1 calibration will only be updated. If Reset is checked everything formerly in CMS1 will be wiped out and you start at square one.
2) Your former CMS0 Rec. 709 calibration will remain the same.
3) I setup my RS600 so the color filter is always used no matter the input signal. I value better color over higher brightness. The Ultra High Pressure mercury lamps used by most consumer projector manufacturers do so because they are more energy efficient than xenon lamps used
in cinema projectors. Their drawback is that they emit loads of light in the yellow wavelengths. Unless this is sharply curtailed reds will have a tendency to look a bit on the orange side and greens look more lime like. In projector marketing lumens count. The more a
manufacturer allows yellow to influence reds and greens the more lumens you will have. Calibration improves color and contrast but you pay for it in lumens. The JVC color filter has the same effect, better color but lower lumens.
I would want the original CMS1 to have the calibration since that will be the only CMS1 after I change the other back to CMS0, wouldn't that be correct?
thanks , that helps me understand the pro's and con's of the filter a lot better

Dan

Last edited by D_B_0673; 02-23-2018 at 12:05 PM.
post #2703 of 4794 Old 02-23-2018, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I would want the original CMS1 to have the calibration since that will be the only CMS1 after I change the other back to CMS0, wouldn't that be correct?
thanks , that helps me understand the pro's and con's of the filter a lot better
Yes. and you are welcome.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2704 of 4794 Old 02-26-2018, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Last week I pulled the trigger on the Radiance Pro 4446 to go along my JVC RS4500. Very exited to finally install my first ever video processor.

Setup tips are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Mark_H and SoulOfUniverse like this.
post #2705 of 4794 Old 02-26-2018, 01:10 PM
.NET Solution Architect

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimonagas View Post
Last week I pulled the trigger on the Radiance Pro 4446 to go along my JVC RS4500. Very exited to finally install my first ever video processor.

Setup tips are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the club, from now on you won’t be able to watch it without Lumagen ))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
post #2706 of 4794 Old 02-26-2018, 01:12 PM
.NET Solution Architect

Quote:

Please like the responses from other forum members, if you find them helpful, as people spend their own time to explain things, I know it’s a little ask but believe me we will appreciate your like and will be willing to respond more often to the problems you are having and try to help others.

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
post #2707 of 4794 Old 02-26-2018, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Radiance Pro 4440 and was looking for a little help with regards to 480i sources. I'm normally not the forum type, but I've tried all options on the Radiance Pro, without success. Google searches for issues with the Radiance Pro always lead me here, so I hope you guys don't mind me asking for some advice.

As I've mentioned before, I've tried every combination of options on the Radiance Pro, and all 480i sources exhibit the same artifacts. I've attached example shots taken with my phone.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2138.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	2367262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2139.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	2367264  
post #2708 of 4794 Old 02-26-2018, 02:47 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindrezo View Post
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Radiance Pro 4440 and was looking for a little help with regards to 480i sources. I'm normally not the forum type, but I've tried all options on the Radiance Pro, without success. Google searches for issues with the Radiance Pro always lead me here, so I hope you guys don't mind me asking for some advice.

As I've mentioned before, I've tried every combination of options on the Radiance Pro, and all 480i sources exhibit the same artifacts. I've attached example shots taken with my phone.
We just today posted a new release (020118) with significant improvements for deinterlacing. All the material we looked at here looks significantly better, including film source sent as interlaced, including "bad edits." We think there will be more improvements in the future, but believe you will see significant improvement after loading this new release. I think Patrick has done a great job on this new release.

Give 020118 a try and if you still have issues, you can contact us at support @ lumagen.com with source examples for us to look at in the lab. We need examples of material that we can easily buy here or links to the the streaming file to download.

Everyone: This is a huge FPGA change, so if you do find any issues let us know.
Mark_H, dlinsley, cargen and 5 others like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #2709 of 4794 Old 02-26-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
Please like the responses from other forum members, if you find them helpful, as people spend their own time to explain things, I know it’s a little ask but believe me we will appreciate your like and will be willing to respond more often to the problems you are having and try to help others.

done

Dan
post #2710 of 4794 Old 02-26-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
We just today posted a new release (020118) with significant improvements for deinterlacing. All the material we looked at here looks significantly better, including film source sent as interlaced, including "bad edits." We think there will be more improvements in the future, but believe you will see significant improvement after loading this new release. I think Patrick has done a great job on this new release.

Give 020118 a try and if you still have issues, you can contact us at support @ lumagen.com with source examples for us to look at in the lab. We need examples of material that we can easily buy here or links to the the streaming file to download.

Everyone: This is a huge FPGA change, so if you do find any issues let us know.
Welcome back!

Mike
JFR0317 likes this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #2711 of 4794 Old 02-26-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Will give this a try tomorrow, after work!
post #2712 of 4794 Old 02-26-2018, 05:29 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. When you say "you must still target Rec2020 primaries in the color software", does that mean in the calibration software?
2. Glad you confirmed that the JVC 6xx is moving the filter in place even with SDR2020 output, my SDR2020 was dimmer than the same scenes in REC709 ( used mad max disks to look) I could not tell if the filter was in place or not
3. So I should change my output of CMS1 to Rec709 after i do a SDR2020 calibration on CMS1... is that correct?
thanks as always
4. Is there a Strip Meta data that would allow the output to be SDR2020 and prevent the filter from engaging? Perhaps in the disk player or in Lumagen.
1. Yes, the color software is targeted at Rec 2020 primaries.

3. No. Leave the CMS1 output Colorspace the same as calibrated or you will undo your calibration. Choose the Colorspace you want before calibration, and then calibrate - and watch - with that setting.

4. Stripping the "Rec 2020" from the Metadata is the same as Colorspace = "SDR Rec 709" which itself strips the Rec 2020 flag out of the Metadata. Assuming I understand what you are trying to achieve it would be done by setting the output Colorspace = SDR709, and then choosing a wide-Gamut-Mode in the projector (be careful that mode is reasonably linear).

Let the source player output HDR 2020 as usual. I recommend against using any "Auto" HDR Tone Mapping in the player (such as the Oppo 203) as it may well work against the HDR Mapping in the Pro.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #2713 of 4794 Old 02-26-2018, 05:30 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
Welcome back!

Mike
Thanks.

Good to be feeling good again.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #2714 of 4794 Old 02-26-2018, 06:05 PM
jrp
AVS Forum Special Member

CALIBRATION TIP:

I was talking to Craig Rounds (a great calibrator and Lumagen expert out of Chicago) this weekend and he pointed out something he figured out from his calibration efforts. He found that sometimes if he calibrated with a 4k source active he would get inconsistent measurement results. Eventually he tested calibration by selecting an unconnected source (a non active source would act the same). When he did this he never got inconsistent measurement results.

We came to the conclusion that the Pro was taking longer to put up the pattern with an active source and Lightspace was taking the reading too soon. No surprise it took longer to write with an active source as there is a lot going on. It is unknown if this would apply to Calman or Chromapure. However, the below recommendation would be a good idea for any calibration. Craig could not find a setting in Lightspace to further delay the start of the reading (if my memory is correct), but based on Craig's testing Lumagen can recommend the following:

When calibrating select a non-active source input (turn it off or unplug the HDMI cable). This will insure the patterns are written to the screen as fast as possible.

Even if you can delay the start of the reading, not having the extra work for the microprocessor insures a (slightly) faster calibration. Note: This may not be needed in most cases but it will not hurt to do this.

[EDIT] Note that the time it takes from the pattern command to being on the screen is increased by the TV/Projectors internal processing time. It might make sense to have the TV/projector in its "Game Mode" if one is available. Then you would also watch leaving the TV/projector in Game Mode. Since Game Mode has lower latency I have recommended using the TV/projector Game Mode for years, but you need to make sure there is no image degradation in Game as some TVs and projectors have had.
Mark_H, dlinsley, JFR0317 and 3 others like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen

Last edited by jrp; 02-26-2018 at 07:10 PM.
post #2715 of 4794 Old 02-26-2018, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
CALIBRATION TIP:

I was talking to Craig Rounds (a great calibrator and Lumagen expert out of Chicago) this weekend and he pointed out something he figured out from his calibration efforts. He found that sometimes if he calibrated with a 4k source active he would get inconsistent measurement results. Eventually he tested calibration by selecting an unconnected source (a non active source would act the same). When he did this he never got inconsistent measurement results.

We came to the conclusion that the Pro was taking longer to put up the pattern with an active source and Lightspace was taking the reading too soon. No surprise it took longer to write with an active source as there is a lot going on. It is unknown if this would apply to Calman or Chromapure. However, the below recommendation would be a good idea for any calibration. Craig could not find a setting in Lightspace to further delay the start of the reading (if my memory is correct), but based on Craig's testing Lumagen can recommend the following:

When calibrating select a non-active source input (turn it off or unplug the HDMI cable). This will insure the patterns are written to the screen as fast as possible.

Even if you can delay the start of the reading, not having the extra work for the microprocessor insures a (slightly) faster calibration. Note: This may not be needed in most cases but it will not hurt to do this.

[EDIT] Note that the time it takes from the pattern command to being on the screen is increased by the TV/Projectors internal processing time. It might make sense to have the TV/projector in its "Game Mode" if one is available. Then you would also watch leaving the TV/projector in Game Mode. Since Game Mode has lower latency I have recommended using the TV/projector Game Mode for years, but you need to make sure there is no image degradation in Game as some TVs and projectors have had.
Hello Jim,

This confirms what I have experienced too (but not reported yet because I wanted to do more test to be sure). As you know I have reported issues with no source active and test pattern, 121217 fixed it. But even in this configuration, I recommand to add an extra delay in Lightspace CMS (extra delay=time for delaying probe measurement in between 2 displayed patches). I have reported this to Light Illusion as well and they told me that they are thinking to add a feature to help finding the best optimized extra delay (I encourage lightspace cms user to ask for this feature).

With no source active, the output video condition matches with OTHER but, in the case there is no active source, sometimes OTHER does not trig the signal output expected (i.e. the last output video condition when the source was active is applied instead). Patrick told me that it was a strategy to avoid switching output signal but form my experience (I use my PRO as external TP for my calibration services) it would be better that, in the case no source is active, OTHER works the same way as for other output video condition. This would allows setting exactly the output signal you want to perform the calibration.

(by the way, maybe it is already the case, I will check with last firmware)

The workaround method with no source active is to use TP with user mode but the problem is as soon as a TP is no more displayed, there is a switch for output resolution based on the output video condition. This switch is very annoying (but normal) when you do a manual calibration (as said above, I use my PRO for my calibration service as external TP generator)

Thanks

Alexandre

Last edited by alex_t; 02-26-2018 at 10:55 PM.
post #2716 of 4794 Old 02-27-2018, 12:48 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Quote:
CALIBRATION TIP:

I have noticed that too especially when you’d switch non hdr content and hdr content and if you start adjusting blacks level, for some reason it is different, for hdr it can be raised up a bit and I have to adjust by two contrast patterns, so I ended up with no source feeding and doing a full calibration as you described above.

post #2717 of 4794 Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_t View Post
Hello Jim,

This confirms what I have experienced too (but not reported yet because I wanted to do more test to be sure). As you know I have reported issues with no source active and test pattern, 121217 fixed it. But even in this configuration, I recommand to add an extra delay in Lightspace CMS (extra delay=time for delaying probe measurement in between 2 displayed patches). I have reported this to Light Illusion as well and they told me that they are thinking to add a feature to help finding the best optimized extra delay (I encourage lightspace cms user to ask for this feature).

With no source active, the output video condition matches with OTHER but, in the case there is no active source, sometimes OTHER does not trig the signal output expected (i.e. the last output video condition when the source was active is applied instead). Patrick told me that it was a strategy to avoid switching output signal but form my experience (I use my PRO as external TP for my calibration services) it would be better that, in the case no source is active, OTHER works the same way as for other output video condition. This would allows setting exactly the output signal you want to perform the calibration.

(by the way, maybe it is already the case, I will check with last firmware)

The workaround method with no source active is to use TP with user mode but the problem is as soon as a TP is no more displayed, there is a switch for output resolution based on the output video condition. This switch is very annoying (but normal) when you do a manual calibration (as said above, I use my PRO for my calibration service as external TP generator)

Thanks

Alexandre
There is that setting you can find it here:
mikela, Mike_WI and Surfdrifter like this.

post #2718 of 4794 Old 02-27-2018, 04:17 AM

Hello,

Yes this is one I'm speaking about. I always use it even with no active source in Radiance.

Quote:
post #2719 of 4794 Old 02-27-2018, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. Yes, the color software is targeted at Rec 2020 primaries.

3. No. Leave the CMS1 output Colorspace the same as calibrated or you will undo your calibration. Choose the Colorspace you want before calibration, and then calibrate - and watch - with that setting.

4. Stripping the "Rec 2020" from the Metadata is the same as Colorspace = "SDR Rec 709" which itself strips the Rec 2020 flag out of the Metadata. Assuming I understand what you are trying to achieve it would be done by setting the output Colorspace = SDR709, and then choosing a wide-Gamut-Mode in the projector (be careful that mode is reasonably linear).

Let the source player output HDR 2020 as usual. I recommend against using any "Auto" HDR Tone Mapping in the player (such as the Oppo 203) as it may well work against the HDR Mapping in the Pro.
thanks,
I did a calibration SDR2020 on CMS1, following your steps, but my light output as measured from the lens with a meter was half as bright as the same scene in BluRay. It might be as you said the JVC, still seeing the 2020 flag is doing something odd. That is why I tried changing CMS1 output after calibrating it to SDR2020 to REC 709. It still was the same lower light as measured. Now even though the meter said half as much brightness, it did not look like half, but was noticibly dimmer.
I could be doing something wrong, but can't figure out what yet. I feel like I am leaving a lot of the functionality of the Lumagen on the table as I can't as yet get the 2020 to work as others describe. On the plus side REC709 looks superb
dan

Dan
post #2720 of 4794 Old 02-27-2018, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Screen shots like this would be perfect for your documentation. Lightspace has so many options. Just show me a picture of screen settings used in the process! Thanks. SJ
mikela, Mike_WI and SoulOfUniverse like this.
post #2721 of 4794 Old 02-27-2018, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a problem with judder, it only happens with Billy Lyn 4K 60p.
The source is a Oppo 203 projector Sony VW5000 and processor 4242 with 18Ghz card's.
If I connect the Oppo direct I don't have the judder.
Can I do something about that, and did someone else noticed this?

Rob
post #2722 of 4794 Old 02-27-2018, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dingen View Post
Hi,

I have a problem with judder, it only happens with Billy Lyn 4K 60p.
The source is a Oppo 203 projector Sony VW5000 and processor 4242 with 18Ghz card's.
If I connect the Oppo direct I don't have the judder.
Can I do something about that, and did someone else noticed this?

Rob
I have the Oppo 205, Sony VW5000 and Radiance Pro with 18 Ghz cards, and I watched this 4k disc a few weeks ago and had no issues with the Oppo to the Radiance Pro to the VW5000. Using 50' Monoprice 18Ghz certified HDMI cable to projector. Ken Whitcomb set this all up for me.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 If I recommend a dealer It will be a person to person recommendation! Theatre renovation/upgrade awaiting July/August 2019!
post #2723 of 4794 Old 02-27-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Hi again,

I just wanted to give you an update regarding the latest firmware and the deinterlacing situation.

The artifacting that I experienced before is gone, but there still appear to be issues with the deinterlacing. Leaving it on "auto" looks great during scenes with little or no movement, but during pans, it exhibits very noticeable interlacing/combing effects. This occurs regardless of source (all DVDs/LDs). Any 480i signal I send to the Radiance Pro exhibits this. Navigating my DVD player menu (480i HDMI output) BEFORE playback of a disc exhibits this. Setting it to "off", the interlacing/combing effects disappear, but then the image looks lightly aliased, with a slight shimmer. The same occurs with my LaserDisc player -> ADV7842 Evaluation Board outputting 480i over HDMI and any disc.

If you prefer I send an email about this, even though this occurs with seemingly any 480i signal, let me know and I'll send one off.

- EDIT -

Whoops, I forgot to mention that switching between "film", "video" and "neutral" has no noticeable difference on the deinterlacing, at least in my case.
alex_t and SoulOfUniverse like this.

Last edited by blindrezo; 02-27-2018 at 03:51 PM.
post #2724 of 4794 Old 02-27-2018, 10:43 PM

Hello.

My feedback is quite the same as yours for 576i (star wars 3, DVD pal). I have sent an email to Lumagen.

Alexandre

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindrezo View Post
Hi again,

I just wanted to give you an update regarding the latest firmware and the deinterlacing situation.

The artifacting that I experienced before is gone, but there still appear to be issues with the deinterlacing. Leaving it on "auto" looks great during scenes with little or no movement, but during pans, it exhibits very noticeable interlacing/combing effects. This occurs regardless of source (all DVDs/LDs). Any 480i signal I send to the Radiance Pro exhibits this. Navigating my DVD player menu (480i HDMI output) BEFORE playback of a disc exhibits this. Setting it to "off", the interlacing/combing effects disappear, but then the image looks lightly aliased, with a slight shimmer. The same occurs with my LaserDisc player -> ADV7842 Evaluation Board outputting 480i over HDMI and any disc.

If you prefer I send an email about this, even though this occurs with seemingly any 480i signal, let me know and I'll send one off.

- EDIT -

Whoops, I forgot to mention that switching between "film", "video" and "neutral" has no noticeable difference on the deinterlacing, at least in my case.
blindrezo likes this.
post #2725 of 4794 Old 02-28-2018, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser View Post
The easiest way to do this.................
....... in the MENU>SAVE> section of the scaler you have the option to load the current configuration even if you overwrite the current one by accident

Hi, i have another question for Gordon:
after generating the Lut with LightSpace you need to do the video scale pass black like with eecolor or on the Lumagen Radiance Pro you do not need.
post #2726 of 4794 Old 02-28-2018, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked: 2012
In the grand scheme of things I would have much preferred a focus on hdmi handshaking reliability and switching speed, as well as frame based hdr intensity mapping over de-interlacing if there is a prioritization....I suspect the vast majority of content viewed is progressive based in our theaters - and yes, while I watch interlaced sports and news, the provider’s compression artifacts often supersedes most other issues anyway

My 2 cents
post #2727 of 4794 Old 02-28-2018, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Let's not forget Hybrid Log Gamma support.
post #2728 of 4794 Old 02-28-2018, 03:15 AM
Hello, World!

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
In the grand scheme of things I would have much preferred a focus on hdmi handshaking reliability and switching speed, as well as frame based hdr intensity mapping over de-interlacing if there is a prioritization....I suspect the vast majority of content viewed is progressive based in our theaters - and yes, while I watch interlaced sports and news, the provider’s compression artifacts often supersedes most other issues anyway

My 2 cents
Plenty of us want deinterlacing improved, since day 1, long before HDR etc arrived, so it's good to finally see it getting some much needed attention.
blindrezo likes this.

My cinema: The Cave!
My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, JVC Z1, Lumagen Pro, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500
post #2729 of 4794 Old 02-28-2018, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H View Post
Plenty of us want deinterlacing improved, since day 1, long before HDR etc arrived, so it's good to finally see it getting some much needed attention.
I don’t disagree it needed help. But core system performance is really important for anyone’s viewing habits, and, from both a marketing and functionality perspective, improvements in HDR rendering, PiP, fast and reliable switching, etc carry more weight in 2018 imo.

I also think that most people that buy a Radiance are also probably the same people who migrated to blu ray and now uhd sooner than the general population. Other than cable/satellite interlaced broadcast, I’m guessing the largest percentage of what’s being watched is progressive. Even many regional sports channels are 720p in the US. Streaming boxes usually output a progressive signal regardless of content...so I don’t know, it just feels like a lower priority over many other things given the (presumed) overwhelming percentage of progressive viewing likely in our theaters.

Ironically, I’ve been updating older DVD titles to Blu Ray recently for several titles...many others I looked at and said I’m never watching this again, so tossed them. Laserdiscs and vhs were put in the garbage many years ago. There’s a time to retire...
Roland Janus and Alyaji like this.

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 16 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system
post #2730 of 4794 Old 02-28-2018, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Arrow FW Beta 020118

Already noted by jrp, but FYI in case others missed it...

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php...ncepro_updates

Beta 020118
Deinterlacing much improved (new FPGA code).
Deinterlacer has a bias setting under Input: In Configs: RES: RES-X: Control: Deinterlace: Mode: which can be set to Neutral, Film or Video.
Fix made for menu breakup occurring only under certain situations.
Bugfix for resetting color gamut to default causing brightened picture.
Fix for some cases of genlock when set to "normal" and "fast" which gave unstable video.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware
JFR0317 likes this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page