AVS Forum banner

New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series

3M views 26K replies 644 participants last post by  Kris Deering 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The highest model pictured on the webpage has a 8x7 matrix switch built in. 8 hdmi inputs, 7 zone hdmi outputs, zone 1 has 4 hdmi outputs in parallel for a total of 18 hdmi ports. All inputs and outputs are 4k60 capable.

You can sign up for the beta program and receive a significant discount. I can't discuss much about the new pro as it's still confidental under beta agreement but I can say it is a product you can use for a decade or more. It's hardware is partially modular and all functions are run on its large fpga which can be software updated as new technologies are introduced.

#4 ·
Note that (at least as of 3-5 months ago) the HDMI daughter cards only support 10gbps and not the full 18gbps per a public post from JimP -- thus AFAIK you'll need to upgrade those to support full UHD like 10-bit 4K with HDR under HDCP 2.2 as that requires more than 10gbps bandwidth -- so not just a one time purchase at this point.

#5 ·
Note that (at least as of 3-5 months ago) the HDMI daughter cards only support 10gbps and not the full 18gbps per a public post from JimP -- thus AFAIK you'll need to upgrade those to support full UHD like 10-bit 4K with HDR under HDCP 2.2 as that requires more than 10gbps bandwidth -- so not just a one time purchase at this point.
10 bit 4k with hdr is within 10Gbs for 4K24Hz material. As has been mentioned...the unit is modular...can't' say much more but i really don't think this will be a high cost update like it was moving from XD to XE.....

#6 ·
We are releasing our Beta users from NDA to discuss the technical aspects of the Radiance Pro. So you should start to see some posts here and on the Lumagen forum about day to day living with the Radiance Pro.

We are excited to have now released the first per-pixel deinterlacing for the Radiance Pro. It does not yet have a diagonal filter but for 1080i video it is looking very good (IMO).

Switching with the Radiance Pro is much faster than the earlier Radiance models. This is because there is no GF9450 deinterlacing chip to have to setup and wait for.

We are also hearing from Pro owners that the quality is already a step above the older Radiance models.

The Radiance Pro hardware is believed to be at Production Level. Of course software is still in Beta. There is a lot working but we have a number of features still to implement. We are seeing the Radiance Pro installed into non-tech user's homes for use on a daily basis.

I am sure the Beta owners will have their own comments on the Pro so I will let them post if they like. Do also check out the Lumagen forum if you are interested in more information on the Radiance Pro. It is here: http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/forum/

We also have information on the Radiance Pro on our website, and you can contact me at sales@lumagen.com. Finally I want to thank AVS Forum for their support, and point out that they are an authorized Lumagen dealer. If you are interested in the Radiance Pro or other Radiance model you can contact them for more information.

#7 ·
Latest FW Updates:

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates

Beta 102115- Adds much improved deinterlacing for 480/576/1080i sources.
Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware

Beta 102215- Fix for a couple of issues in 102115 when using a deinterlaced source and selecting test patterns or performing a screen clear for menu displays. Please continue giving us your detailed feeback on issues via email at radiancepro_beta@lumagen.com .
Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware

#8 ·
Question:

If I have a calibration done for my projector using my current Lumagen 2041, can that calibration info be transferred on to Radiance Pro (if I purchase one in the future)? Or will I have to have another calibration done if I replace my 2041 with the Radiance Pro?

Also: Is the Radiance pro fully compatible with the specs for UHD? (E.g. the full specs for Blu-Ray UHD, broadcast UHD etc)?

Thanks.

#9 ·
Rich

The Pro has a much larger LUT in it than the 2041 so you would benefit from having a recalibration done. If your calibrator used Lightspace for the job and had measured a very large patch set to create the lut in the first place it would be a trivial job to download that calibration profile in to a Pro. Right now it is not possible to rip an 2041 config and put it in a Pro as the architecture of the FPGA programming is not finalised so there is no config editor for it

Jim can answer your question about UHD BD but i can say that for the announced spe (of the discs)c i don't think there are any hardware issues. Firmware wise they have not implemented HDR or full 600Mpixel pipeline but it's all in the schedule. Really, the best bet is to give Jim a shout.....next time i'm over visiting the inlaws i'll try to come see you...not been over for a year and half but its got to be on the cards soon!

#12 ·
Will this be the only Pro model or can we expect to see more models with less inputs/outputs?
3 configurations are available

Radiance 4440 - 2 input, 4 output
Radiance 4446 - 8 input, 4 output
Radiance 4449 - 8 input, 4 output, 6 additional unprocessed outputs (8x7 matrix)

I asked Jim about a possible 4K mini, he said the fpga alone on the pro models cost more than the entire cost of a 2020. So reducing i/o and form factor doesn't really result in significant price drop from a 4440. With this in mind, the 4440 configuration is as Radiance mini as it gets for a long time.

#13 · (Edited)
I have the 4449 configuration with the built in 8x7 matrix switch. I plan to feed both my cable boxes into it and have one of the zone outputs to feed my living room TV. This way I can watch cable box 1 on main zone and cable 2 on zone 2. We never have more than 2 TVs on at a time(only 2 person family) but we have more than 2 TVs. Instead of putting a cable box, BD player and a streaming box to each room, we have all of them in main room into 4449. In other words, I only pay for 2 cable boxes but I can view them in anyroom with the matrix swtich.

Another benefit is I can enable Pip/Pop and watch 2 seperate TV channels on my main screen. A 4K screen can fit two 1080 channels without loss of resolution.

This is for not everyone's interest but always wanted to be abke to do this. For the first time I can compare the same film on different formats on the same screen simultaneously with pip/pop function. I.e. Fifth Element mastered from 4k blu-ray vs remastered edition bluray. Thanks to the 8x7 swtich, I am not tying up both my bluray players to main zone to do comparisons. I can always send one of its output to a different zone.

Note: pip/pop is currently not available but expected on a future update.
Note2: only zone 1 is processed (scaled, color management etc), other 6 zones are pass through only. A future uodate will allow Edid settings on zone 2-7.

#14 ·
Question:

If I have a calibration done for my projector using my current Lumagen 2041, can that calibration info be transferred on to Radiance Pro (if I purchase one in the future)? Or will I have to have another calibration done if I replace my 2041 with the Radiance Pro?

Also: Is the Radiance pro fully compatible with the specs for UHD? (E.g. the full specs for Blu-Ray UHD, broadcast UHD etc)?

Thanks.
Gordon is correct there is not yet a config reader/writer for the Pro. This is actually pretty high on our priority list to get done. We are hoping the calibration from an earlier Radiance will be able to be downloaded in the Radiance Pro, but this has not been decided yet.

The Radiance Pro is compatible with UHD. At this time the I/O cards are HDMI 2.0, with HDCP 2.2, at 9 GHz. We will be adding an upgrade option for 18 GHz I/O in 2016.

The Radiance Pro hardware is compatible with HDR, P3 color space (a.k.a. DCI), and Rec 2020 color space. Just as we added 3D, and a 3D LUT, long after introduction of the Radiance processors, we can add these when the time comes. Right now there seem to be too many cooks in the kitchen for HDR. We are hoping HDR coalesces into a single open standard, but this is not clear yet.

#15 ·
If your calibrator used Lightspace for the job and had measured a very large patch set to create the lut in the first place it would be a trivial job to download that calibration profile in to a Pro.
Your CalMAN calibrator could do the same ;)

Reactions: ferg2069
#16 ·
Gordon is correct there is not yet a config reader/writer for the Pro. This is actually pretty high on our priority list to get done. We are hoping the calibration from an earlier Radiance will be able to be downloaded in the Radiance Pro, but this has not been decided yet.

The Radiance Pro is compatible with UHD. At this time the I/O cards are HDMI 2.0, with HDCP 2.2, at 9 GHz. We will be adding an upgrade option for 18 GHz I/O in 2016.

The Radiance Pro hardware is compatible with HDR, P3 color space (a.k.a. DCI), and Rec 2020 color space. Just as we added 3D, and a 3D LUT, long after introduction of the Radiance processors, we can add these when the time comes. Right now there seem to be too many cooks in the kitchen for HDR. We are hoping HDR coalesces into a single open standard, but this is not clear yet.
Ok, good info, thank you Jim. It seems at least theoretically a Lumagen Pro should be good for many years in terms of specs (?).

#17 ·
Ok, good info, thank you Jim. It seems at least theoretically a Lumagen Pro should be good for many years in terms of specs (?).
We believe so.

We put the inputs on "Dual Input" modules, and the outputs on "Dual Output" modules, so that as HDMI evolves we plan to sell upgraded HDMI modules. The HDMI I/O modules plug into the Radiance Pro switch board. So upgrading would be straight forward. This allows you to keep the most expensive parts of the Radiance Pro (the processor board with the FPGA, the switch board, and the case) in place and replace just the I/O modules to get a new HDMI standard added (that requires a new hardware chip - most do not).

The Radiance Pro FPGA, while expensive, is much larger than previous FPGAs we have used and has the flexibility to adapt to reasonable changes in the standards such as HDR. So we expect most changes will be part of our software updates. Note we reserve the right to charge for software updates (as we did for 3D), in the future. There are no planned "fee based" updates at this time though.

#18 ·
The prices are absolutely ludicrous $6,000.00 to $8,000.00 is more than the 4K display I'm purchasing.

One of the things that I would have loved with my present Lumagen 2143 was software that allowed me too make adjustments on my pc instead of having too plow through an at first confusing menu system, a system that I still struggle with at times.

Lumagen needs too build there own calibration software similar too CONTROLCal that allows one too make the adjustments without popping in and out of onscreen menus.

A $4000.00 to $6000.00 price range would have still been crazy, but possible.

#20 ·
The prices are absolutely ludicrous $6,000.00 to $8,000.00 is more than the 4K display I'm purchasing.

One of the things that I would have loved with my present Lumagen 2143 was software that allowed me too make adjustments on my pc instead of having too plow through an at first confusing menu system, a system that I still struggle with at times.

Lumagen needs too build there own calibration software similar too CONTROLCal that allows one too make the adjustments without popping in and out of onscreen menus.

A $4000.00 to $6000.00 price range would have still been crazy, but possible.
Suggested retail is high but not unusual if you compare to prices of video processors in the early days of HD resolutions. In the early days of 4K, the hardware and development cost is just as high, especially for a niche product like radiance pro.

I use calman enthusiast, almost the entire calibration process is automated. Calman can access most of lumagen's functions via serial or usb port. Once the calibration is done and all memories are tweaked, there isn't much tinkering needed, I rarely use Lumagen's remote control other than power on/off and switch inputs.

I wouldn't be against a fancier menu and ip/web based control but I would rather have Lumagen dedicate their resources on perfecting the video output.