Mysteries of the Deep Color: BDP-103 > RX-A3050 > PT-AE8000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-21-2016, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mysteries of the Deep Color: BDP-103 > RX-A3050 > PT-AE8000

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out the best possible setting for my connection chain.

I have an OPPO BDP-103 (not Darbee, but the QDEO edition) connected through a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3050 to a Panasonic PT-AE8000.

I know that HDMI 1 out on the Oppo is the QDEO output, and that HDMI 2 is not QDEO (and which is useful for sending DSD from SACDs since the QDEO does not support DSD pass through).

So I've got both outputs connected to my Aventage.

Both outputs, for all intents and purposes, work fine. However, when I fiddle with the HDMI Options on the Oppo, here's what I found out:

Setting 1:
Oppo HDMI 1 (QDEO) settings:
Color Space: AUTO or RGB Video Level or RGB PC Level or YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2
Deep Color: 30 Bits

Result: Works fine

Setting 2:
Color Space: AUTO or RGB Video Level or RGB PC Level or YCbCR 4:4:4
Deep Color: 36 Bits

Result: No signal

Setting 3:
Color Space: YCbCR 4:2:2
Deep Color: 36 Bits

Result: Works fine

So basically, with the QDEO output if I set it to 30 Bits, I can use any color space and it'll work fine. If I set it to 36 Bits, I can use only YCbCR 4:2:2.

On the other hand, with the non-QDEO HDMI 2 output, I can basically set 30 bits or 36 bits against ANY color space and it'll work fine, including 36 BIT YCbCR 4:4:4.

My question is, which setting and output should I be using to squeeze every maximum image and color performance from my setup?

Will 36 Bits YCbCR 4:2:2 from the QDEO output be preferable to the 30 Bits YCbCR 4:4:4 from the non-QDEO output?

Or is 30 Bits and YCbCR 4:4:4 on the QDEO the best?

Or should I just turn off deep color?

Any insight into this is appreciated. I've look at Panny's specs, but they don't really mention what native color space the projector uses. All they mention is x.v Color Space which seems to not be supported by the Oppo to begin with.

I've got a Disney WOW disc, but not sure that would be of much help in noticing any difference?

Sources are mainly blu-ray, dvd, Netflix (oppo built-in app) and Apple TV Gen 4 (plugged into Oppo's HDMI IN to benefit from QDEO vp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-24-2016, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 607 Post(s)
Quoted: 4503 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Hi there, could not resist to post as i liked your pseudo so much, remind me my early years.

I checked your PJ specs and they mention 3D, which also means deepcolor capable. (HDMI chipset got deepcolor and 3D available at the same time/revision)
So you should definitively not turn off Deepcolor.. but which settings give best picture 4:2:2 12b or 4:4:4 10b... i think only you in your room, playing same clip a few times in both timing, can make this choice.

Merry Xmas !

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-23-2017, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Hi there, could not resist to post as i liked your pseudo so much, remind me my early years.

I checked your PJ specs and they mention 3D, which also means deepcolor capable. (HDMI chipset got deepcolor and 3D available at the same time/revision)
So you should definitively not turn off Deepcolor.. but which settings give best picture 4:2:2 12b or 4:4:4 10b... i think only you in your room, playing same clip a few times in both timing, can make this choice.

Merry Xmas !
Thanks! Yea, that was a great machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
bdp-103 , deep color , Oppo , PT-AE8000 , RX-A3050

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page