HDFury Vertex - Owners thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1143Likes

post #2971 of 4552 Old 07-17-2018, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 585 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Suchocki View Post
Question about EDIDs and manual EDID editing.

When I save an EDID created on my Vertex (say, for example, an Automix EDID) and try to open it via AW EDID Editor, I get a warning "CEA Extension size exceeded. The blocks in red will not be added to the EDID". The good news is that I can still view all the information. The bad news is that I can't change anything and save it back to the Vertex--I always lose information that causes something not to work (typically, it's the fact source devices fail to recognize the TV is HDR capable--basically, the AW EDID Editor removes the information in those "blocks in red"). I can still force HDR with the Vertex--and it will work fine--that's not the issue. What I want to do is be able to add a few tags (for example, the audio capabilities are almost always understated in the Vertex generated EDIDs). The problem is that the CEA Extension is limited to 122 bytes (or whatever the measure of value is). And audio blocks are 3 bytes a pop. Given just opening an existing Vertex EDID is already being reported with a size of 149 bytes, I have to either eliminate a ton of the Video blocks or try to find elements I feel I can safely eliminate from the EDID without concern over creating a problem.

I'm very new to EDIDs. So I'm really just experimenting here. Not looking to have HDFury do it for me. I'm trying to figure it out myself--cause I'm kind of just playing around with stuff out of curiosity. Is this 122 byte limit a function of the AW EDID Editor? Or is there some way of increasing it? Clearly, the Vertex is "holding" an EDID that is apparently larger. But I can't even resave an EDID (even one I make no changes) because it will automatically eliminate the aforementioned "blocks in red". Incidentally, the blocks in red are "Detailed Timing" blocks--which I'd imagine are important.

Any hints? Is it an AW EDID issue? How does the Vertex get around this if it's a more general EDID issue?

Is my question nonsensical? EDID editing is new to me, so I may be making nonsensical statements. Just trying to communicate what's going on. Again, nothing critical here. I can live without it. But wanted to play around and experiment with self-generated EDIDs. But unfortunately, can't seem to do it if I use a Vertex EDID as a starting point. Any insight is appreciated.
AWE is outdated and need serious update as it crash even if you load new TV edid directly and actually just opening a recent edid with AWE will corrupt it.
The solution for extended EDID manipulation with all latest fancy stuff is; unfortunately for beginner, is in learning and using HEX editor.
You need CEA document and learn everything in it for edid and then use a hex editor to change and add things manually.

Edid are normal length : Two blocks and total of 256bytes.
They are all like that but AWE crashes because it doesn't support recent things.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 4552 Old 07-17-2018, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDCP Error-60

I am new to HDFury tools and while I am impressed, I am having difficulty getting the Vertex to display on a non-HDCP device in our lab. I finally received an "Error-60" on the unit's display but I have not been able to find out what this means. When I switch to a source that does not have HDCP, everything works fine. Switching to a STB output, the video is blank and I get that error. It does not matter what HDCP setting I use.

I tried to connect via serial cable to see if I can get more information but the app does not seem to be communicating. I will continue to bang my head on that one.

I upgraded the unit to 1.32.1.34 and removed the locked symbol.
post #2973 of 4552 Old 07-17-2018, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post
My vertex is constantly sending macro commands to jvc projector about every couple of minutes video is playing flawless once I unhooked cable to projector
See if you can connect to Windows PC to export config, if not, reflash latest firmware, remove lock icon (usermanual p.13) and follow manni guide.
does projector need ro be on to do this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2974 of 4552 Old 07-17-2018, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekstad View Post
I am new to HDFury tools and while I am impressed, I am having difficulty getting the Vertex to display on a non-HDCP device in our lab. I finally received an "Error-60" on the unit's display but I have not been able to find out what this means. When I switch to a source that does not have HDCP, everything works fine. Switching to a STB output, the video is blank and I get that error. It does not matter what HDCP setting I use.

I tried to connect via serial cable to see if I can get more information but the app does not seem to be communicating. I will continue to bang my head on that one.

I upgraded the unit to 1.32.1.34 and removed the locked symbol.
You need special firmware for that and it requires some paperwork, send email and you will get details.
It is not allowed to remove HDCP out of the box.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
post #2975 of 4552 Old 07-18-2018, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
You need special firmware for that and it requires some paperwork, send email and you will get details.
It is not allowed to remove HDCP out of the box.
Perfect. This is for legit purposes, so no problem. I sent email.
post #2976 of 4552 Old 07-20-2018, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Vertex becomes unresponsive and crashes when switching receiver inputs

I'm a new HDFury Vertex owner. I upgraded to FW 1.32.1.34 and unlocked the lock icon. I am using the power supply that came with the Vertex.

I have a Sony TV which does 4K but not HDR, and a JVC projector which does both 4K and HDR. I set up the Vertex to autoscale and custom EDID.

My Vertex keeps becoming unresponsive and crashing when I switch inputs on my Denon receiver. The symptom is that the OLED display shows no device on the input side, and pushing buttons does nothing. If I unplug and re-connect the power cable to the Vertex, then the input syncs and everything works.

Here's my setup:

[Xbox One X, Sony PS4, Chromecast Ultra, Apple TV Gen3] > All connected via 5 ft copper > Denon X3300W receiver

Denon X3300W receiver > 5 ft copper > Vertex Bottom In

Vertex Bottom Out > Tributaries UHDX 10m active HDMI > JVC DLA-RS4500 (4K and HDR)
Vertex Top Out > 5 ft copper > Atlona AT-UHD-EX-100CEA-TX > 50 ft Cat5e > Atlona AT-UHD-EX-100CEA-RX > Sony Bravia (4K, no HDR)

I've attached my config.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hamilton config.txt (7.1 KB, 22 views)
post #2977 of 4552 Old 07-20-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamiltoncx View Post
I'm a new HDFury Vertex owner. I upgraded to FW 1.32.1.34 and unlocked the lock icon. I am using the power supply that came with the Vertex.

I have a Sony TV which does 4K but not HDR, and a JVC projector which does both 4K and HDR. I set up the Vertex to autoscale and custom EDID.

My Vertex keeps becoming unresponsive and crashing when I switch inputs on my Denon receiver. The symptom is that the OLED display shows no device on the input side, and pushing buttons does nothing. If I unplug and re-connect the power cable to the Vertex, then the input syncs and everything works.

Here's my setup:

[Xbox One X, Sony PS4, Chromecast Ultra, Apple TV Gen3] > All connected via 5 ft copper > Denon X3300W receiver

Denon X3300W receiver > 5 ft copper > Vertex Bottom In

Vertex Bottom Out > Tributaries UHDX 10m active HDMI > JVC DLA-RS4500 (4K and HDR)
Vertex Top Out > 5 ft copper > Atlona AT-UHD-EX-100CEA-TX > 50 ft Cat5e > Atlona AT-UHD-EX-100CEA-RX > Sony Bravia (4K, no HDR)

I've attached my config.
If the 10m active cable does not come with its own power supply, then all you need is a 5.25V PSU (you can locate cheap one from Amazon or Ebay or you can use Universal Power Supply from us)

You can verify this is the issue by replacing that 10m cable by a 2m copper. or you can even try AVR > 10m > Vertex > 2m > PJ

post #2978 of 4552 Old 07-20-2018, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is it possible to access the Vertex's settings via Bluetooth and USB/PC at the same time?

For example, if I plug the vertex into the bluetooth dongle and then plug that dongle into a USB port on my PC, will I be able to use an iPad and the PC to access/change the Vertex's configuration? THanks
post #2979 of 4552 Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:

If the 10m active cable does not come with its own power supply, then all you need is a 5.25V PSU (you can locate cheap one from Amazon or Ebay or you can use Universal Power Supply from us)
I tried the attached Apple PSU (5.2v / 2.4A) and the Vertex still becomes unresponsive and freezes.

Is my unit defective? Is this a software bug? Is there any way I can get you diagnostic logs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180721_093049_1532187295420.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	2431048  
post #2980 of 4552 Old 07-21-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent009 View Post
Is it possible to access the Vertex's settings via Bluetooth and USB/PC at the same time?

For example, if I plug the vertex into the bluetooth dongle and then plug that dongle into a USB port on my PC, will I be able to use an iPad and the PC to access/change the Vertex's configuration? THanks

No sorry, it's one or the other, not both at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamiltoncx View Post
I tried the attached Apple PSU (5.2v / 2.4A) and the Vertex still becomes unresponsive and freezes.

Is my unit defective? Is this a software bug? Is there any way I can get you diagnostic logs?

The Power supply looks good.

Please disconnect TOP output chain and see if you have same results, then disconnect BOT output and see if you have same results.

Please report back if when any output is free, you have the issue solved or not.

Btw, did you run the previous tests ? You can verify this is the issue by replacing that 10m cable by a 2m copper. or you can even try AVR > 10m > Vertex > 2m > PJ

Last edited by HDfury; 07-21-2018 at 11:02 AM.
post #2981 of 4552 Old 07-22-2018, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unhappy

Quote:
When you try, please only use X1X > VERTEX > Display (nothing else connect at second output), and see if you have any results.
Try also with no scaling and confirm.
It's very much possible this won't work well since we do not have any VRR display to try it atm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaa0 View Post
Thanks, I will give this a try!
Ok, I tried this, and it does not work. The screen starts to blink as soon as I launch a game, say Forza 7, and then after a few blinks, the Q9FN says it can't find a signal.

If I connect directly everything works fine.

Also one further note, if I connect the Xbox One X directly, the Q9FN will detect the console directly as an Xbox One and auto-enable game mode.
If I connect it through the Vertex, it just sees a generic HDMI input device, and I have to manually set it to a game console and enable game mode.

Is this expected? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Right now it looks like neither ALLM nor VRR are getting passed through the Vertex correctly.
post #2982 of 4552 Old 07-22-2018, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Micro-stutters and Incorrect Frame Rate

I have recently purchased the new Dune HD Pro 4K player. I am running the HDMI output through an HDfury Vertex to my LG OLED65G6P and Denon X8500H. I have noticed that the Vertex shows that the Dune Player is outputting its video signal at a slightly faster rate than standard video (23.988 fps rather than 23.976 fps as would be expected). I have also noted rare but visible micro-stutters on the video shown on LG Display every few minutes or so.

Is it possible (or even probable) that these micro-stutters in video images are due to the incorrect HDMI frame rate output coming from Dune HD Pro 4K? If that is so, is there any external way to correct this, other than waiting for a firmware update from Dune?

LG OLED65G6P Display
Denon AVR-X8500H
13.1 Speaker setup with mostly KEF Speakers
post #2983 of 4552 Old 07-22-2018, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Quoted: 5436 Post(s)
Liked: 5636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoulos View Post
I have recently purchased the new Dune HD Pro 4K player. I am running the HDMI output through an HDfury Vertex to my LG OLED65G6P and Denon X8500H. I have noticed that the Vertex shows that the Dune Player is outputting its video signal at a slightly faster rate than standard video (23.988 fps rather than 23.976 fps as would be expected). I have also noted rare but visible micro-stutters on the video shown on LG Display every few minutes or so.

Is it possible (or even probable) that these micro-stutters in video images are due to the incorrect HDMI frame rate output coming from Dune HD Pro 4K? If that is so, is there any external way to correct this, other than waiting for a firmware update from Dune?
Answered in the Dune thread. Yes this is probably the cause of the micro-stutter you are experiencing. Dune has to fix this with a f/w update (provided it's not a hardware limitation). The Vertex reports the rate actually used by the source, but it can't fix it.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
post #2984 of 4552 Old 07-23-2018, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 15
HELP

I'm in need of some help setting up my HDFury Vertex. It was suggested by a calibrator that I buy one of these to automatically set my picture modes for SDR and HDR. He was going to help me set it up, but it's been a month and think I'm on my own and setting this up is beyond my skillset. I'm not sure where to start as I'm a bit overwhelmed. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm also willing to pay someone to set it up for me. :-)
post #2985 of 4552 Old 07-23-2018, 08:07 AM

[quote=HDfury;56522690
Please disconnect TOP output chain and see if you have same results, then disconnect BOT output and see if you have same results.
/[QUOTE]

This only seems to reproduce if the bottom output (to the projector) is connected. It doesn't seem to matter if the top input is connected or not.

Quote:
Btw, did you run the previous tests ? You can verify this is the issue by replacing that 10m cable by a 2m copper. or you can even try AVR > 10m > Vertex > 2m > PJ
The projector is mounted on the ceiling and the existing 10m cable is inside the wall and ceiling. I don't have another 10m cable, so I can't easily do this test without purchasing a new 10m cable.

Will this issue be fixed by revision 2 of the hardware? I see from my config dump that my new unit from Monoprice was revision 1.
post #2986 of 4552 Old 07-23-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, I tried this, and it does not work. The screen starts to blink as soon as I launch a game, say Forza 7, and then after a few blinks, the Q9FN says it can't find a signal.

If I connect directly everything works fine.

Also one further note, if I connect the Xbox One X directly, the Q9FN will detect the console directly as an Xbox One and auto-enable game mode.
If I connect it through the Vertex, it just sees a generic HDMI input device, and I have to manually set it to a game console and enable game mode.

Is this expected? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Right now it looks like neither ALLM nor VRR are getting passed through the Vertex correctly.

As stated before, we need a ALLM/VRR display first to find out, please be patient, we will buy one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoolittle View Post
HELP

I'm in need of some help setting up my HDFury Vertex. It was suggested by a calibrator that I buy one of these to automatically set my picture modes for SDR and HDR. He was going to help me set it up, but it's been a month and think I'm on my own and setting this up is beyond my skillset. I'm not sure where to start as I'm a bit overwhelmed. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm also willing to pay someone to set it up for me. :-)

Please explain your setup with Brand/model of everything and what you are trying to achieve and we will help you out.
For the moment if you have source and display, you can try the following:

SOURCES > VERTEX > DISPLAY
If you have an AVR then SOURCES > AVR > VERTEX > DISPLAY

By default, just set EDID slide on CUSTOM and SCALE slide on AUTOSCALING
You can read first post for more info (ex: to remove lock icon if you see any on OLED)

[quote=bhamiltoncx;56529908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury;56522690
/[QUOTE

This only seems to reproduce if the bottom output (to the projector) is connected. It doesn't seem to matter if the top input is connected or not.

The projector is mounted on the ceiling and the existing 10m cable is inside the wall and ceiling. I don't have another 10m cable, so I can't easily do this test without purchasing a new 10m cable.

Will this issue be fixed by revision 2 of the hardware? I see from my config dump that my new unit from Monoprice was revision 1.

If 5.2V PSU didn't help, then no, new PCB won't help.
The issue you are having seem related to that 10m cable but could also be a physical issue on the output connector of the Vertex

So at this point, if you are unable to try Vertex after the 10m cable, we can replace it to make sure it's not the Vertex and then if you have same problem then you will know that this cable might need to be replaced.
If you want to go that way, send email with order number and link to your post here.

post #2987 of 4552 Old 07-23-2018, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Our cables can have issue too, its not excluded since for nearly any working reliable 600MHz copper cable if you just twist it too strong near any connectors ends you can easily break it. they are that fragile ! Try it if you have a spare one left as replacement
You were right, one of your cables have issues as well - can`t hold 600MHz signal but work with lower signals with no problem.
If anybody see "snow" or shaking picture, most probably it`s a cable problem.

Zidoo X9S (1.4.16.), Vertex FW 1.36.1.42, GUI 1.34
Himedia Q10 Pro (2.0.9 and 2.1.4) > 6ft copper > Vertex > 6ft copper > SONY X9405C HDR TV (HDMI 4)
Nvidia Shield Android TV (7.1.0.) 2015 16Gb+ 1TB HDD or ZIDOO X9S (2.1.22) >6ft copper >----> 6ft copper > Yamaha RX-A2020 HDMI 1.4 > SONY X9405C HDR TV (HDMI 1)
post #2988 of 4552 Old 07-23-2018, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
As stated before, we need a ALLM/VRR display first to find out, please be patient, we will buy one soon.
Thanks, I await any news of a Vertex firmware update.
post #2989 of 4552 Old 07-23-2018, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrasilent View Post
You were right, one of your cables have issues as well - can`t hold 600MHz signal but work with lower signals with no problem.
If anybody see "snow" or shaking picture, most probably it`s a cable problem.

Yes it can happen and I'm sorry it happened to you, it easily happens if you twist them near connector ends, send email so we send you replacement.
Anything working at 600MHz, handle it with care

Quote:
Thanks, I await any news of a Vertex firmware update.
Yes, as soon as we have 2.1 source and 2.1 display, i'll mention it. Quite a few things to check there.

post #2990 of 4552 Old 07-24-2018, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

USB/RS232 to Jack (Win/MAC/Linux)

For people who want to control Vertex via RS232 from Win/Mac or Linux, we have build such cable and it's available from the website for 10$ (HDfury.com > Accessories > Xtra Item > Select from dropdown list)

Standard RS232 cable will also pop up in the next days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	u99-705-USB to Rs232.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	2432638  
MrZoolittle likes this.

post #2991 of 4552 Old 07-25-2018, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
using this for 3D workable on the C7 oleds ?
post #2992 of 4552 Old 07-25-2018, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 15
@HDfury Please explain your setup with Brand/model of everything and what you are trying to achieve and we will help you out.

You can read first post for more info (ex: to remove lock icon if you see any on OLED)

I have Anthem AVM60, JVC RS400, and a Sony UXB-800. I had my JVC Projector professionally calibrated for SDR and HDR.

USER 1 is SDR and gama should be set to custom 1
USER 2 is HDR and gama should be set to custom 1

As of now I have to pause the movie once it comes on and switch users and gama settings. I was told that macros could be set up so that setting will switch automatically. I downloaded the GUI to my computer and connected the Vertex to it. That's as far as I have gotten.
post #2993 of 4552 Old 07-25-2018, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Roku Ultra and Panasonic UB900 > Onkyo TX-NR676 > Epson LS10000

I would like to set the HDR flag so that I can use the WCG on the Epson. It is not a HDR projector by default. I've used the Linker (I think) in the past between the Panasonic and the Onkyo to accomplish this ( I think EDID 8 on that device).

What is the best way to use this in the above configuration? Any help is appreciated. FWIW, I would like the projector to use the WCG (SDR 2020)when playing HDR movies from either the Roku or Panasonic and then be set to 4K for everything else.

Thanks,
Jim
post #2994 of 4552 Old 07-25-2018, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezilla2 View Post
using this for 3D workable on the C7 oleds ?

Can you please elaborate a bit ?

If the question is , does Vertex support 3D, yes it supports 3D.
If there is some special case or limitations on the C7 and 3D, please explain the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoolittle View Post
@HDfury Please explain your setup with Brand/model of everything and what you are trying to achieve and we will help you out.

I have Anthem AVM60, JVC RS400, and a Sony UXB-800. I had my JVC Projector professionally calibrated for SDR and HDR.

USER 1 is SDR and gama should be set to custom 1
USER 2 is HDR and gama should be set to custom 1

As of now I have to pause the movie once it comes on and switch users and gama settings. I was told that macros could be set up so that setting will switch automatically. I downloaded the GUI to my computer and connected the Vertex to it. That's as far as I have gotten.

Ok, did you read Manni guide for it ? I think you have a link from the first post of this thread.
Did you connect Vertex RS232 to JVC PJ ?

If switching is not automatic, increase sync time delay, see if it helps.

if still problem, try to export your config from windows GUI utility

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshorejl View Post
Roku Ultra and Panasonic UB900 > Onkyo TX-NR676 > Epson LS10000

I would like to set the HDR flag so that I can use the WCG on the Epson. It is not a HDR projector by default. I've used the Linker (I think) in the past between the Panasonic and the Onkyo to accomplish this ( I think EDID 8 on that device).

What is the best way to use this in the above configuration? Any help is appreciated. FWIW, I would like the projector to use the WCG (SDR 2020)when playing HDR movies from either the Roku or Panasonic and then be set to 4K for everything else.

Thanks,
Jim

EDID 8 on Linker is 4k60-420 12-bit HDR BT.2020 All Sound
Equivalent on Vertex is EDID 32, Below some EDID that would work for what you are trying to do (assuming Roku can send BT2020 without HDR)

14. 4K60-444 600MHz BT2020 All Sound

15. 4K60-444 600MHz BT2020 SPDIF

16. 4K60-444 600MHz BT2020 Stereo

32. 4K60-420 12bit BT2020 All Sound

33. 4K60-420 12bit BT2020 SPDIF

34. 4K60-420 12bit BT2020 Stereo

post #2995 of 4552 Old 07-26-2018, 05:47 AM

the question is More dos the vertex and or any of its addons enable 3D on non 3D sets ?

ie the C7 which Lacks 3d ......
post #2996 of 4552 Old 07-26-2018, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Want to get DD+ and ATMOS sound from TV streaming Apps back to an AVR via HDMI since it fails via ARC or S/PDIF?
Show interest by posting your TV and AVR brand/model. We might select you in the future for some beta test

Ok, I will try. I have a Sony XBR 65x930E TV and a Denon x2200 AVR. The main problem is that I also have an Apple TV 4K that works great - except I need to have it directly plugged into the TV rather than through the Denon AVR - which doesn't yet support Dolby Vision.

I have a Vertex installed. One set of ports goes between the Denon and TV. The other (I think upper) ports go between the Apple TV and Sony TV.
I can now watch Dolby Vision videos, but since the audio routes out the TV over optical - no Dolby Atmos...

I also have an Integral I don't use anymore. I tried putting that into the Apple TV -> Sony TV string to break out the Dolby Atmos - but it was too flaky...
post #2997 of 4552 Old 07-26-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezilla2 View Post
the question is More dos the vertex and or any of its addons enable 3D on non 3D sets ?

ie the C7 which Lacks 3d ......

No Vertex cannot add 3D to 2D display, however, HDfury X4 can do that, but only for 1080p, not for 4K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrana View Post
Want to get DD+ and ATMOS sound from TV streaming Apps back to an AVR via HDMI since it fails via ARC or S/PDIF?
Show interest by posting your TV and AVR brand/model. We might select you in the future for some beta test

Ok, I will try. I have a Sony XBR 65x930E TV and a Denon x2200 AVR. The main problem is that I also have an Apple TV 4K that works great - except I need to have it directly plugged into the TV rather than through the Denon AVR - which doesn't yet support Dolby Vision.

I have a Vertex installed. One set of ports goes between the Denon and TV. The other (I think upper) ports go between the Apple TV and Sony TV.
I can now watch Dolby Vision videos, but since the audio routes out the TV over optical - no Dolby Atmos...

I also have an Integral I don't use anymore. I tried putting that into the Apple TV -> Sony TV string to break out the Dolby Atmos - but it was too flaky...
Mmm... I'm not sure I'm following, I see at least two ways to enable DV and Atmos in your setup.

1. ATV4K > VERTEX > one output to TV / other to AVR.
2. ATV4K > VERTEX > AVR > TV

Solution 2 might fails if Denon is killing LLDV when passing thru (same issue we had on Vertex until we found out and corrected to allow LLDV passthru)

the few sentences you quoted from my signature really relate to the extraction of DD+ and Atmos from modern TV apps and the forwarding of the extracted sound to any AVR input. So it's totally different than getting DV/ATMOS from a source, which is already perfectly handled by many of our devices and of course by Vertex.

post #2998 of 4552 Old 07-26-2018, 01:42 PM

1080P - will it do 720p ? ie for older PS3 Games ? and has anyone tested or know how well it works ?
post #2999 of 4552 Old 07-27-2018, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Mmm... I'm not sure I'm following, I see at least two ways to enable DV and Atmos in your setup.

1. ATV4K > VERTEX > one output to TV / other to AVR.
2. ATV4K > VERTEX > AVR > TV

Solution 2 might fails if Denon is killing LLDV when passing thru (same issue we had on Vertex until we found out and corrected to allow LLDV passthru)

the few sentences you quoted from my signature really relate to the extraction of DD+ and Atmos from modern TV apps and the forwarding of the extracted sound to any AVR input. So it's totally different than getting DV/ATMOS from a source, which is already perfectly handled by many of our devices and of course by Vertex.

Sorry HDFury I wasn't clear enough. The issue right now is that the Denon does indeed kill LLDV. They are promising a firmware update "this summer".

You are correct that the first example you gave would work fine. But then I lose Vertex control from the AVR feed. Here is how it is setup now:

=====================Vertex============= Sony TV

AVR ------------------------> Top In Top Out ------------> HDMI 2
(Opt in) ATV4K ------> Bot In Bot Out ------------> HDMI 3

|-----------------------------------------------------------------| Optical Out (TV)

This setup allows me to monitor/use Vertex for both the AVR devices (NVShield, Roku, Sony Apps) and also provide Dolby Vision from the ATV4K. Unfortunately, at this point no Dolby Atmos from the ATV4k. The drawing is not the best - I feed Optical Out from Sony to Optical In on AVR

I did try to insert an Integral both before and after the Vertex in the ATV4K to split the video and audio. The ATV4K did allow Atmos but the video signal was unstable.

Thanks anyway

ps = Sorry about the "=" and drawing - the forum software removes spaces...
post #3000 of 4552 Old 07-27-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2316 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
I have to agree with HDfury that it is difficult to understand what you are attempting to accomplish.

What does connecting both outputs from the Vertex to the Sony give that a single output from the Vertex to the Sony does not?

What about this configuration?

NVShield / Roku > AVR > Vertex Top Input
ATV4K > Vertex Bottom Input

Vertex Bottom Output (No scaling) > Sony TV
Vertex Top Output (Scale to 1080p) > AVR

Sony TV optical out > AVR

This will
- send 4K video from the NVShield, Roku, and ATV4K to the Sony TV
- send down scaled 1080p to the AVR that will include Atmos audio from the ATV4K
- send TV App audio to AVR via optical

When the Shield, Roku, or other device connected to the AVR is the source, select the appropriate AVR input.
When the ATV is the source, select the AVR input where the Vertex output is connected.
When playing TV Apps, select the AVR optical input.

Down scaling Dolby Vision to 1080p 4:4:4 8-bit should allow the AVR to process the Atmos audio input even if the AVR does not support Dolby Vision.
HDfury likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 07-27-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
avr-sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page