HDFury Vertex - Owners thread - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1143Likes

post #3571 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 585 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeckstein View Post
Just downloaded the 1.60 FW for the GoBlue from hdfury.com.

Any attempt to update my GoBlue with it (it has FW 1.40) leaves me with a GoBlue still showing FW 1.40 in the Vertex App.

Also, when inserting it with button pressed in the power plug, it does not shortly blink twice as it used to with earlier FW updates.

Maybe the LinkrOTG.bin in the new FW 1.60 archive is corrupt or just the old 1.40 one?

GoBlue FW1.60 file as well as any previous are perfectly fine. You can see users confirming FW1.60 working fine for Integral 2 in Integral 2 thread.
Please note that if you have Vertex and GoBlue 1.40 you don't need to update to 1.60 since it add new update routine and support for Integral2 and Dr.HDMI 4K so I'm not sure you really need this.

For update issue, try releasing sooner, as you connect stick to USB port. try using another usb stick, or try putting some dummy file on the disk if you only have update file on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowicrt View Post
I've updated fw from 1.30 to latest (1.33?) and i had my macro's setup so it would send commands over rs232 to enable HDR mode on my JVC projector when the Vertex detected HDR, but it seems that the Vertex doesn't recognize HDR anymore with the new fw? I did do the RST + INP x2 trick.

Also, the Apple TV won't send out HDR because it thinks the Vertex can't do HDR?
How do i fix this? What has changed?

Usermanual p.43 describe how you can export and import config, so if you have working config, if for ex, you set JVC macro, set sync time, set RS232 speed ,etc... and don't want to redo your settings, so you export your config before update and you import it back after update.
Same process is needed in case of issue, so if you are having any issue getting anything working with latest firmware, you just export config and i'll tell you why Apple TV is not sending HDR (because the EDID mode you are in is not advertisting HDR more likely)

Nothing changed in FW itself, the only thing that changed is your settings that are back to default after firmware update, to avoid this, export config and import it back after update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy View Post
Quick question not really about the vertex sorry.

Just wondering about what product you would recommend to essentially deinterlace 1080i to 1080p. It’s basically for distributing a 1080i source over video over ip system that only outputs progressive and I think I can get better deinterlacing from a hdfury product than from the video over ip system.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, HDfury X4 will do that perfectly, it's the best HDMI1.x device we made.

Quote:
I downgraded back to fw 1.30... now HDR detection works again, and the AppleTV will send HDR to the Vertex... @HDfury?
Cool, export config, update, import config, try ... if same problem, export config with new FW and send both config, the 1.30 config and newer 1.33 and then i'll tell you what is the problem. [or the user mistake ...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Sarah View Post
I want to buy only one piece and I want the best price please.
Model Name: Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz

===

I have a question and please answer .

See this picture

This home theater does not support HDR

If you connect a in HDMI Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz to an (( HDMI output tv home theater ))

and Then we plug the HDMI output Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz To TV

Does it work well? Because I want to connect all the devices to the home theater

Please put your picture as attachment ! (section: Drag and Drop File Upload)
You asked same thing by email already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proza View Post
@HDfury earlier you sent me an EDID for LG B7 LLDV profile, is there a new one for C8 (77LLA)
Can you post link to it so I can refresh memory about the purpose ? is there an issue with C8 ?

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.

Last edited by HDfury; 12-03-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
export config, update, import config, try ... if same problem, export config with new FW and send both config, the 1.30 config and newer 1.33 and then i'll tell you what is the problem. [or the user mistake
I did export, update and import. Will try it again, must be user mistake i guess

Arcam AVR850 • Pioneer KURO KRP-600M • KEF Reference Model 4/2/200c •• Velodyne DD15 •• HDI Dune 4K Solo • Logitech Squeezebox Radio/Duet • Wyrewizard Dreamcaster & Spellbinder (by Nordost) • JVC D-ILA-X7500 • HDFury Vertex
post #3573 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did export, update and import. Will try it again, must be user mistake i guess

Then the problem is that you wrote that you did the trick. Prolly you didn't power cycled the device after config import.

1) Export your config (if your unit is unlocked, then config is unlocked)
2) Update your unit (after update complete, you must power cycled, at this point, unit is locked)
3) Import your config, once config import is complete, you must power cycle, only once power cycled, new config is loaded and unit will be unlocked.
4) Unit is running new firmware, with previous settings and unlocked.

So if you did the trick as that some point,i guess you ended up with the unit locked again, but... you should have seen the lock on OLED.
Or may be you didn't restarted after config import completed.

Anyway, please retry and let us know if all is good, if not, just post config as asked and i'll find out the issue or mistake.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3574 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

As far as i can tell i did everything by the book... but i must have missed something.
I'll try again in a minute, first i'm gonna export the current settings, do the update (and reboots in between) after update perform the trick, reboot again, and reload the config. If it doesn't work, i'll post the config here.

Arcam AVR850 • Pioneer KURO KRP-600M • KEF Reference Model 4/2/200c •• Velodyne DD15 •• HDI Dune 4K Solo • Logitech Squeezebox Radio/Duet • Wyrewizard Dreamcaster & Spellbinder (by Nordost) • JVC D-ILA-X7500 • HDFury Vertex
post #3575 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, i'm totally lost now.

I had everything working fine yesterday with fw 1.30. I could set the Apple TV to 4K SDR (yes, SDR) and the Vertex detects it, and sets the JVC-SDR mode through the macro's. If i start a HDR movie, the vertex detects HDR and selected JVC-HD1K or JVC-HD4K mode depending on metadata. Perfect.

After upgrading to 1.37, it doesn't work anymore... so again i reverted back to 1.30... and now it doesn't work there anymore as well? wtf?
The only way to get it working is to set the Apple TV itself to HDR, and then everything works fine... but if i set the ATV to SDR and play an HDR movie, the ATV sends SDR... if i switch the 'fit content' option, no difference... i'm lost here.

I also notice that the Vertex shows the 4K 60Hz SDR from the Apple TV as 8 bit HDR...

Why did i change it... i had it working fine yesterday, so frustrating...

Added both configs.
Attached Files
File Type: txt config_03122019_1.30.1.30.txt (6.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: txt config_03122019_1.36.1.37.txt (7.2 KB, 5 views)

post #3576 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
MaxCLL/MaxFALL wrong

The "R.Masciola" test disc specs page says it's 1000/400 and mediainfo agrees. The Vertex reports 4000/1000. Is this a known issue in some configurations or a bug? I'm using 1.33.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #3577 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
No, again, the Vertex does not convert SDR to HDR. It is impossible, like you can not create color TV from black and white TV. Some mediaplayers create 'pseudo-HDR' from SDR, it might look ok, but it is still fake, it is not real HDR. If you want HDR, get a player that outputs HDR like an Apple TV4K or a Dune 4K Pro etc. Also, your TV should support HDR.

I have a Sony A8F. I also have XBOX X AND ZIDOO X20

But the home theater does not support HDR.

I wanted to connect the devices in the home theater (Receiver).

I do not want to plug the Xbox into the TV port HDMI 2 nor do I want to connect zidoo x20 port HDMI 3 .

I want everyone in one outlet on TV only.
post #3578 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:
GoBlue FW1.60 file as well as any previous are perfectly fine. You can see users confirming FW1.60 working fine for Integral 2 in Integral 2 thread.
Please note that if you have Vertex and GoBlue 1.40 you don't need to update to 1.60 since it add new update routine and support for Integral2 and Dr.HDMI 4K so I'm not sure you really need this.

For update issue, try releasing sooner, as you connect stick to USB port. try using another usb stick, or try putting some dummy file on the disk if you only have update file on it.

Usermanual p.43 describe how you can export and import config, so if you have working config, if for ex, you set JVC macro, set sync time, set RS232 speed ,etc... and don't want to redo your settings, so you export your config before update and you import it back after update.
Same process is needed in case of issue, so if you are having any issue getting anything working with latest firmware, you just export config and i'll tell you why Apple TV is not sending HDR (because the EDID mode you are in is not advertisting HDR more likely)

Nothing changed in FW itself, the only thing that changed is your settings that are back to default after firmware update, to avoid this, export config and import it back after update.

Sure, HDfury X4 will do that perfectly, it's the best HDMI1.x device we made.

Cool, export config, update, import config, try ... if same problem, export config with new FW and send both config, the 1.30 config and newer 1.33 and then i'll tell you what is the problem. [or the user mistake ...]

Please put your picture as attachment ! (section: Drag and Drop File Upload)
You asked same thing by email already.

Can you post link to it so I can refresh memory about the purpose ? is there an issue with C8 ?
Okay . See the attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E4B4B7A-08A1-4B2F-ACA9-CE2E7F5861E9.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	2490744  
post #3579 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I also notice that the Vertex shows the 4K 60Hz SDR from the Apple TV as 8 bit HDR...
The ATV4K appears to send metadata for SDR video. I believe this is what triggers the HDR report from the Vertex.

post #3580 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

It's totally f'd up at the moment, i don't understand why it doesn't work anymore like it did yesterday. I've upgraded to 1.37 again. Now, when i set the ATV to 4K SDR, vertex reports SDR as well, so that looks ok.

But now Vertex says 'source info:no info' on *ANY* source. Weird.

I can get HDR to work, but only if i set the ATV to HDR manually, and then start an HDR movie. This is not what i want, i want the ATV to switch to HDR when it is playing HDR content only.

Before this, i could leave the ATV in SDR mode, and when i played an HDR movie, ATV would switch to HDR, and back to SDR afterwards and Vertex detected it and ran the correct macro for the JVC. But for some reason the ATV doesn't think that there is an HDR capable display connected anymore...?

post #3581 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
It's totally f'd up at the moment, i don't understand why it doesn't work anymore like it did yesterday. I've upgraded to 1.37 again. Now, when i set the ATV to 4K SDR, vertex reports SDR as well, so that looks ok.

I can get HDR to work, but only if i set the ATV to HDR manually, and then start an HDR movie. This is not what i want, i want the ATV to switch to HDR when it is playing HDR content only.

Before this, i could leave the ATV in SDR mode, and when i played an HDR movie, ATV would switch to HDR, and back to SDR afterwards and Vertex detected it and ran the correct macro for the JVC. But for some reason the ATV doesn't think that there is an HDR capable display connected anymore...?

When I have changed vertex or OPPO or something AFTER the ATV I have noticed that the ATV display settings got reset. Go in and see if you have range set to on so it auto loads HDR when the ATV is in SDR. I had this happen before and nearly threw my equipment in the pool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3582 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswire View Post
When I have changed vertex or OPPO or something AFTER the ATV I have noticed that the ATV display settings got reset. Go in and see if you have range set to on so it auto loads HDR when the ATV is in SDR. I had this happen before and nearly threw my equipment in the pool
I have noticed that as well... after updating the vertex, 'match content' on the ATV are both set to off... have to enable these every time.

post #3583 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2316 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:

I do not want to plug the Xbox into the TV port HDMI 2 nor do I want to connect zidoo x20 port HDMI 3 .

By "Home Theater", I assume you mean an AVR. If the AVR does not support HDR you cannot connect the devices as you show in the picture. The Vertex must be placed before the AVR, not after.

Connect Xbox to one of Vertex HDMI inputs.
Connect Zidoo to the other Vertex HDMI input.
Connect Bottom HDMI output of Vertex to Sony A8F. The Vertex will pass HDR directly to the TV.
Connect Top HDMI output of Vertex to Home Theater AVR for audio. Configure Vertex to downscale to 1080P if AVR does not support 4K.
HDfury likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 12-03-2018 at 09:57 AM.
post #3584 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2316 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:

Each time you upgrade the Vertex software, you should first export the working Vertex configuration before you begin the update. After the Vertex is upgraded, import the configuration that you saved.

Unless you saved the working config with the 1.30 version, before you began this sequence of software upgrades and downgrades, you will have to reconfigure every setting again manually. The software upgrade to the Vertex reset the device and previous working settings were lost. Check to see if you can find a config text file that was created in the past when you were on the 1.30 version and everything was working. If you have one, import it into the Vertex.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 12-03-2018 at 10:45 AM.
post #3585 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Again, i *did* export the working config and imported it after the upgrade. But it looks like it is working now (using the latest fw).

I'm using Infuse to play UHD discs (HDR) on the ATV. I suspected Infuse might be the culprit, so i went to Netflix on the ATV and played an episode of Stranger Things, in 4K HDR (or Dolby Vision) and... the ATV switched from SDR to HDR, Vertex detected it and applied the correct setting for the JVC After stopping the episode, ATV reverted to SDR again. Great!

Then i went to Infuse again... same problems. Converts HDR to SDR if ATV is in SDR. I went to the appstore to see if there was an update for Infuse, there was not. But you could open Infuse from there as well. After that, Infuse also was sending HDR! I think opening Infuse from the appstore actually re-starts Infuse. I have restarted the ATV several times, but that did not help, maybe if i actually powered it down, it would have...

So i think Infuse was behaving strangely. Why it did work yesterday after downgrading to fw 1.30, i don't know... but it works now, so i'm not gonna touch it again

Last edited by jowicrt; 12-03-2018 at 11:16 AM.
post #3586 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm using Infuse to play UHD discs (HDR) on the ATV....

So i think Infuse was behaving strangely. Why it did work yesterday after downgrading to fw 1.30, i don't know... but it works now, so i'm not gonna touch it again
When you have issues with an ATV4K you should do standard fault diagnosis. The first two steps are:
  1. make sure settings are correct in your video chain
  2. connect the ATV directly to the display, run HDMI Check and check the various video formats you use by hand.

post #3587 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 01:10 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
The "R.Masciola" test disc specs page says it's 1000/400 and mediainfo agrees. The Vertex reports 4000/1000. Is this a known issue in some configurations or a bug? I'm using 1.33.
There is an OSD change to support the HDR Fixer that you can try:

https://www.hdfury.com/tools/Vertex_...9_GUI_1.34.zip

- Rich
HDfury likes this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2

Last edited by RichB; 12-03-2018 at 05:54 PM.
post #3588 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 01:27 PM

Liked: 1
[QUOTE=HDfury;57207662]GoBlue FW1.60 file as well as any previous are perfectly fine. You can see users confirming FW1.60 working fine for Integral 2 in Integral 2 thread.

For update issue, try releasing sooner, as you connect stick to USB port. try using another usb stick, or try putting some dummy file on the disk if you only have update file on it. [/QUOTE}

@HDfury : I am sorry to say: NO

The FW file GoBlue 1.60 (inclluded .bin file dated end of October) is not working fine.
All other GoBlue FW files from hdfury before did work fine on my GoBlue,
not this one, not on my GoBlue, it is just ignored.

Tried it on different machines, with different USB sticks, anything, no go, my GoBlue does not update to 1.60.

And again, there was no problem with my GoBlue, updating to any of the previous GoBlue FW files you released on hdfury.com

Last edited by cbeckstein; 12-03-2018 at 01:31 PM.
post #3589 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As far as i can tell i did everything by the book... but i must have missed something.
I'll try again in a minute, first i'm gonna export the current settings, do the update (and reboots in between) after update perform the trick, reboot again, and reload the config. If it doesn't work, i'll post the config here.

If you do by the book, then you don't need to unlock firmware if the config you gonna import is already unlocked. lock state is preserved with config export/import.
I checked both your config, they are both unlocked. so If you plan to import any of them, there is no need to do combo trick after update (it won't change anything if you do it, just wasting few secs of your time)

Quote:

Try FW link posted by RichB and let us know if you have same issue, if yes, export and post config.

Quote:
The ATV4K appears to send metadata for SDR video. I believe this is what triggers the HDR report from the Vertex.

No, it's normal that source send metadata with EOTF 0 when HDR transmission is over, mostly all sources do that nowadays. The issue here is not with Vertex who handle all that perfectly, it's Apple issue more likely.

Quote:
Again, i *did* export the working config and imported it after the upgrade. But it looks like it is working now (using the latest fw).

I'm using Infuse to play UHD discs (HDR) on the ATV. I suspected Infuse might be the culprit, so i went to Netflix on the ATV and played an episode of Stranger Things, in 4K HDR (or Dolby Vision) and... the ATV switched from SDR to HDR, Vertex detected it and applied the correct setting for the JVC After stopping the episode, ATV reverted to SDR again. Great!

Then i went to Infuse again... same problems. Converts HDR to SDR if ATV is in SDR. I went to the appstore to see if there was an update for Infuse, there was not. But you could open Infuse from there as well. After that, Infuse also was sending HDR! I think opening Infuse from the appstore actually re-starts Infuse. I have restarted the ATV several times, but that did not help, maybe if i actually powered it down, it would have...

Yes, Apple issue apparently.
by the way, just one note on our config 1.36.1.37 I saw you have :

General HDR Disable ON
HLG Disable ON
HDR10+ Disable OFF

If you read a few pages back you can learn more about it.

If you have General HDR disable ON, then no metadata from source can reach display and no metadata from Vertex can reach display. So if that is the mode you want, then you don't need to activate any others. they should be OFF. (I don't think it's an issue if they are ON, but since it's not a standard/verified/tested situation, I prefer to tell you about it)

If you have HLG Disable ON, normally you would select that to let HDR pass thru and kill HLG, but it's useless for you since you already kill all HDR incoming and outgoing with the above settings. so you can leave it OFF.

Please also note that on next official firmware this HLG Disable feature is/will be replaced by "Enable Custom HDR if HLG input" which means that if HLG metadata are incoming, they are removed and Vertex will send it's own custom HDR out (once again, it cannot work with General Disable HDR). if you need to simply cut off all HLG signal without sending custom HDR out, just replace metadata EOTF 2 in Custom HDR by EOTF 0 or stay with that current firmware you have presently

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeckstein View Post

@HDfury: I am sorry to say: NO

The FW file GoBlue 1.60 (inclluded .bin file dated end of October) is not working fine.
All other GoBlue FW files from hdfury before did work fine on my GoBlue,
not this one, not on my GoBlue, it is just ignored.

Tried it on different machines, with different USB sticks, anything, no go, my GoBlue does not update to 1.60.

And again, there was no problem with my GoBlue, updating to any of the previous GoBlue FW files you released on hdfury.com

And I'm sorry to say double NO

I just downloaded the file, extracted, put on my USB stick (that I know is good for the purpose), insert stick in goblue, connected to USB port with central button hold down and release almost immediately.
Launched Vertex APP on my mobile and it connected immediately APP info report GoBlue 1.60 and all is well. Attached is the screenshot.

I have zipped the file and attached as well.

There is only 2 possible reason for failure:
1) the stick: If you updated previously with a stick, use the same one, if there was some files on it and you removed them, add some files again, sometime some stick need dummy file so small file can be read and found.
2) the process: There is timing to hold and release the central button, basically, simply hold for half a second or a sec after insertion in usb port and release.

Once you updated to 1.60, there is a new update process in it, for any next update, you just have to connect a stick and insert in usb port, if there is an update file on it, update will be done automatically. (it takes however about 1 or 2 sec more this way now but overall easier)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181203-232334.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	2490968  
Attached Files
File Type: zip LinkrOTG.zip (39.3 KB, 8 views)

post #3590 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
There is an OSD change to support the HDR Fixer that you can try:

https://www.hdfury.com/tools/Vertex_...9_GUI_1.34.zip

- Rich
That's not a valid URL.

post #3591 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 05:54 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
The LG specific Dolby Vision EDID is still working for me with my B7A. Maybe there is an LG firmware update that I have not yet applied.
Quote:
Our B7 use Korean update for LLDV, and Dolby Vision string have indeed changed.
It all depends which source you use for checking it, afaik only Xbox report old dv mode when you use the old string.
Quote:
That's not a valid URL.

Weird. It was a copy and paste. Here is the URL:

https://www.hdfury.com/tools/Vertex_1.36.1.39_GUI_1.34.zip

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #3592 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, it's normal that source send metadata with EOTF 0 when HDR transmission is over, mostly all sources do that nowadays. The issue here is not with Vertex who handle all that perfectly, it's Apple issue more likely.
When you say EOTF 0 do you mean 0 in the EOTF bits in InfoFrame type 7 (which means traditional gamma with SDR luminance) or something else (and if so what)?

In any case how can this be an Apple issue?

post #3593 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 07:01 PM
Oppo Beta Group

HDR Fixer Feature : AKA CUSTOM HDR METADATA GENERATOR - > Enable HDR if HDR10 Input

This has been an fantastic addition to the feature set that permits overriding the custom metadata to control the displays tone-mapping.
The Vertex provides control over what is otherwise uncontrollable.

When I first upgraded from the LG B6 to the C7, I noticed that UHD BR's were dimmer looking than the C6. The reason later became apparent. The tone-mapping in the 7 series had been made much more aggressive. Vincent Teoh had some measurements showing deviating from the PQ EOTF well below 100 nits (the max SDR mastering level).
I suspect he measured patters with Max Luminance set to 1000 nits. With Max Luminance set to 4000 and 10000 nits, there is dimming down to 0.1 nits!
The higher the Maximum Luminance value the darker the picture level becomes, sometimes MUCH darker.
The problem is exacerbated because the Metadata on disks is not reliable.
For example, a 4000 nit Max Luminance title may describe the mastering monitor capability but the content may not exceed, say 600 nits.

HDR Test patterns are supplied on Sony/Columbia UHD BD's are accessible by entering 7669 when displaying the disk menu.
I was able to access them on Spiderman Homecoming, even though it is a DV title (reference IMO).
Starting at pattern 19, there are gray bars from 0 to 100 nits, followed by 100 to 1000 nits, and finally 1000 to 2000 nits.

The C7 seem only interested in the Max Luminance value, so I set the others to 0.
Setting the LG Dynamic Contrast Off, I tried 600 and 1000 nits overrides to replace the pattern's 10000 nit Maximum Luminance.
This clearly shows that when to 10000 and 4000 nit Maximum Luminance, the all bars from 0.1 to 100 nits are substantially dimmed!
At 1000 nits, they are dimmed but less so.
Overriding with Maximum Lumens set to 600 nits, defeats tone-mapping entirely, even with Dynamic Tone-mapping engaged (Dynamic Contrast = Low)
The overall picture is brighter and detail is displayed up to about 700 nits which is the panels native capability.

If you are interested in preserving the PQ EOTF tracking (average picture level) with a 7 series LG, the Vertex HDR Fixer gives you that control.

Max Luminance of 600, essentially disables tone-mapping. There will no longer be no mid-tone dimming.
Max Luminance of 1000 and Dynamic Contrast On, delineates detail to about 1000 nits but will dim mid-tones in the presence of spectral highlights.
If you like dynamic tone-mappings increase it bright detail at the expense of some overall dimming, then overriding Max Luminance to 10000, provides title independent, consistent tone-mapping.

I recommend trying metadata override for those with LG OLED 7, or even 8 series TV's.

- Rich
gsr likes this.

post #3594 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Weird. It was a copy and paste. Here is the URL:

- Rich
Thanks. That doesn't make a difference. On the ATV it still says:

TX0: 4K59.993 444 BT709 8b SDR 593MHz 2.2
HDR: RX-SDR Lum Range LUM 0/0.0000 maxCLL/FALL 0/0

The HDR line doesn't appear with SDR from other devices.

Last edited by bodosom; 12-04-2018 at 05:59 AM.
post #3595 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Quote:

By "Home Theater", I assume you mean an AVR. If the AVR does not support HDR you cannot connect the devices as you show in the picture. The Vertex must be placed before the AVR, not after.

Connect Xbox to one of Vertex HDMI inputs.
Connect Zidoo to the other Vertex HDMI input.
Connect Bottom HDMI output of Vertex to Sony A8F. The Vertex will pass HDR directly to the TV.
Connect Top HDMI output of Vertex to Home Theater AVR for audio. Configure Vertex to downscale to 1080P if AVR does not support 4K.
Thank you
post #3596 of 4552 Old 12-03-2018, 11:32 PM

Liked: 1
@HDfury : GoBlue FW 1.60 upgrade

same USB stick, same USB port, using your attached LinkrOTG.bin and populating the stick with additional files this time did the trick...

thanks for your patience...
HDfury likes this.
post #3597 of 4552 Old 12-04-2018, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When you say EOTF 0 do you mean 0 in the EOTF bits in InfoFrame type 7 (which means traditional gamma with SDR luminance) or something else (and if so what)?

In any case how can this be an Apple issue?

Yes "00" in HEX value = EOTF 0 = SDR
02 in HEX value = EOTF 2 = HDR

If you play SDR content while in HDR > SDR forced mode or if you stop HDR playback and you are back to SDR, then mostly all sources will send EOTF0 in this situation. that's normal.

Then you wrote:

Quote:
TX0: 4K59.993 444 BT709 8b SDR 593MHz 2.2 .............. HDR: RX-SDR Lum Range LUM 0/0.0000 maxCLL/FALL 0/0

I don't see any problem here SDR metadata usually come all empty so you only have 0 everywhere.

Anyway I asked config export and I said "more likely Apple issue" until I see it, so please do not waste much time, just post config when you are trying and try to describe issue and then you get exact answer.
From what you wrote so far, I don't see any issue, all appears normal here.

Vertex cannot make mistake when deciphering metadata, so if a source send one type of metadata that was recorded (actually any metadata list you can find was done using our devices) and other source send another type, then it's a source issue.

post #3598 of 4552 Old 12-04-2018, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. That doesn't make a difference.
DOH! I was checking the wrong thing, sorry about that. I'll recheck the Masciola stream and advise if that fixes that issue.

post #3599 of 4552 Old 12-04-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you mean an OSD that looks like this or something else?
TX0: 4K59.993 444 BT709 8b SDR 593MHz 2.2
HDR: RX-SDR Lum Range LUM 0/0.0000 maxCLL/FALL 0/0

post #3600 of 4552 Old 12-04-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't see any problem here SDR metadata usually come all empty so you only have 0 everywhere.
From what you wrote so far, I don't see any issue, all appears normal here.
Vertex cannot make mistake when deciphering metadata,
I will assume that the real answer to my question is that the Vertex OSD shows a 2086 data line if there's a type 7 block. It's just labeled HDR rather than say XFR.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
avr-sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page