HDFury Vertex - Owners thread - Page 135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1174Likes

post #4021 of 4755 Old 02-04-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2268 Post(s)
Liked: 780
How does one do this please?
Please send config export.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4755 Old 02-04-2019, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walky View Post
Thanks to your insight, I've just installed the alternative software and my Vertex now reports 594MHz for UHD 60 fps HDR demo files
I'm curious: what did the Vertex display (or software) say were the other technical parameters of your source when you were using the standard (Android) software and you said the Vertex was reporting 371Mhz pixel clock bandwidth?
post #4023 of 4755 Old 02-04-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 635 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4883 Post(s)
Liked: 1359
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
How does one do this please?
Please send config export.

Usermanual p43
And then you attach TXT file exported into forum post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshuang View Post
I'm curious: what did the Vertex display (or software) say were the other technical parameters of your source when you were using the standard (Android) software and you said the Vertex was reporting 371Mhz pixel clock bandwidth?
Prolly 4K60 420 10b or 4K24 444 10b

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4024 of 4755 Old 02-05-2019, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I looking to get one to sit between my AVR and TV - what will happen if the Vertex receives a <1080p signal, eg 720p? Will it simply not upscale, or will it fail totally?
post #4025 of 4755 Old 02-05-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFujisawa View Post
I looking to get one to sit between my AVR and TV - what will happen if the Vertex receives a <1080p signal, eg 720p? Will it simply not upscale, or will it fail totally?

It will pass thru untouched (except if HDCP conversion is needed, then it will convert automatically), our devices support ANY signals in existence within 18Gbps/600MHz bandwidth including PC resolution and signal you don't even know they exist
There is no "failure" in our design, when there is a problem we fix it.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
post #4026 of 4755 Old 02-05-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 193
@HDfury I have just purchased a Vertex after having issues with my Nvidia Shield not passing 4K through my receiver (Arcam AVR850) to my TV (Sony A1E)

I have placed the Vertex in the chain like this.

Nvidia Shield > Arcam AVR850 > Vertex > Sony A1E

With a Epson EH-TW9300 connected to TX1

When I boot the Nvidia Shield I get the Nvidia logo & then nothing, the Vertex reports no signal.

I have left it turned on for 5 minuets & just get a black screen although the TV sporadically reports 480p.

I have attached my config file, if you can shed any light why this could occurring I would really appreciate it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Config.txt (6.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by AdamAttewell; 02-05-2019 at 02:00 PM.
post #4027 of 4755 Old 02-05-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshuang View Post
Hi,

Using the "LG Cymatic Jazz HDR10 4K Demo.mp4" file, this is what I get according to the Vertex:

- 4K59.933 420 BT2020 10b HDR 371MHz 1.4

- 4K59.933 422 BT2020 12b HDR 593MHz

The hardware is a MINIX UH-9.

Regards,

W.
pshuang likes this.

TV: Samsung UE78JS9580 (4K HDR10) ; - - - - - - - - AUDIO: Denon AVR-X3100W (4K HDCP 1.4)
Media players: Minix U9-H (4K HDR), OpenHour Chameleon (4K SDR), PopcornHour C200 (HD)
Matrix switches: HDfury DIVA & Integral (rev. 1, 600 MHz)
Game consoles: Sony PlayStation 4, Nintendo Wii
Multimedia NAS: Qnap TVS-671 (4K30 SDR)
post #4028 of 4755 Old 02-06-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
@HDfury I have just purchased a Vertex after having issues with my Nvidia Shield not passing 4K through my receiver (Arcam AVR850) to my TV (Sony A1E)

I have placed the Vertex in the chain like this.

Nvidia Shield > Arcam AVR850 > Vertex > Sony A1E

With a Epson EH-TW9300 connected to TX1

When I boot the Nvidia Shield I get the Nvidia logo & then nothing, the Vertex reports no signal.

I have left it turned on for 5 minuets & just get a black screen although the TV sporadically reports 480p.

I have attached my config file, if you can shed any light why this could occurring I would really appreciate it.

2 things to do on your unit:

1) Remove lock icon (see usermanual p13 or read first post of this thread)
2) Put SCALE SLIDE on AUTOSCALING

Regarding the issue you mention, it sounds like cable issue. so if above doesn't solve your issue, please report back with cable length you have at input and output.
AdamAttewell likes this.

post #4029 of 4755 Old 02-06-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 579
OSD pops up during a movie?

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can shed any light here - tonight, for the first time, the OSD popped up on screen twice during a movie (standard HDR10).

As far as I could see, the meta data had not changed and I do have "Ignore HDR Metadata Change" ticked in the gui.

There was no projector resync and indeed, no glitch whatsoever to either audio or video, the OSD simply appeared for its allotted 10s. I didn't notice whether or not the OLED illuminated (it's behind the rack) but I would assume so.

Anyone any ideas what might cause this?

Config file attached

Many thanks
Mark
Attached Files
File Type: txt config.txt (7.2 KB, 7 views)

Zidoo Z9S | Dune Pro 4K | HDFury Vertex² | 32TB mirrored storage
Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
A pair of slippers, a comfy sofa and a glass of 16 year old single malt

Last edited by markswift2003; 02-06-2019 at 03:58 PM.
post #4030 of 4755 Old 02-07-2019, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi,
I've a problem with vertex CEC control

This is my setup: Nvidia Shield ->Vertex -> Output1 Epson TW9400 (4k passthrough) -> Output2 Onkyo 809 (1080p)

Everything works fine but the CEC on the Onkyo.
The onkyo is not recognising the shield as a valid rihd (cec?) device when it's connected through the Vertex.
The projector turns off when I turn off the shield with no issues.

If I try to connect the shield directly to the onkyo, the av receiver correctly recognises the shield as a valid rihd device.
post #4031 of 4755 Old 02-07-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003 View Post
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can shed any light here - tonight, for the first time, the OSD popped up on screen twice during a movie (standard HDR10).

As far as I could see, the meta data had not changed and I do have "Ignore HDR Metadata Change" ticked in the gui.

There was no projector resync and indeed, no glitch whatsoever to either audio or video, the OSD simply appeared for its allotted 10s. I didn't notice whether or not the OLED illuminated (it's behind the rack) but I would assume so.

Config file attached

Many thanks
Mark

Hi Mark

What was the source brand/model at input when this happened ?

According to your config, you have HDR disable, that is good if you have JVC PJ and want to use custom gamma curve with it, however you also have HLG > HDR translation, which can eventually let some metadata pass thru if incoming metadata eotf is flagged as HLG.

So I would try 2 things:
1. Disable HLG > HDR, see if you have issue again.
2. Update to latest firmware, see if you have issue again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano tonelli View Post
Hi,
I've a problem with vertex CEC control

This is my setup: Nvidia Shield ->Vertex -> Output1 Epson TW9400 (4k passthrough) -> Output2 Onkyo 809 (1080p)

Everything works fine but the CEC on the Onkyo.
The onkyo is not recognising the shield as a valid rihd (cec?) device when it's connected through the Vertex.
The projector turns off when I turn off the shield with no issues.

If I try to connect the shield directly to the onkyo, the av receiver correctly recognises the shield as a valid rihd device.

You need to export config when you have an issue, refer to first post.

It seems a misunderstanding on how CEC works, CEC master is BOTTOM OUTPUT. first you need to make sure that CEC is ON on Vertex.
Then if PJ have CEC management, just connect AVR output to PJ, then it should be just fine, however only PJ (CEC ROOT) will be able to control and see all devices connected downstream.
If AVR is not linked to any ROOT, then AVR becomes a root itself and then you have 2 roots in the same chain and that can create issue.

Understand that in CEC, the root is the TV and everything fall from the tree, so if TV > VERTEX > SHIELD, the AVR is out of the equation here. so by linking AVR to TV(root) then TV CEC will see it, not sure if it will allow AVR CEC network to detect Root CEC devices (I highly doubt it since both are not from the same brand), but that depends on how they share CEC ID and how CEC root is implemented on PJ/TV.

So to summarize:

Link AVR output to PJ input
"cec on" and "video processor" settings on Vertex and then if the PJ has CEC control all should be ok (at least from a PJ/TV CEC control perspective).
I doubt AVR will ever be able to see a device not connected at its input. that's just how CEC works unfortunately.
markswift2003 likes this.

Last edited by HDfury; 02-07-2019 at 07:32 AM.
post #4032 of 4755 Old 02-07-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Hi Mark

What was the source brand/model at input when this happened ?

According to your config, you have HDR disable, that is good if you have JVC PJ and want to use custom gamma curve with it, however you also have HLG > HDR translation, which can eventually let some metadata pass thru if incoming metadata eotf is flagged as HLG.

So I would try 2 things:
1. Disable HLG > HDR, see if you have issue again.
2. Update to latest firmware, see if you have issue again.

Thanks for the quick reply!

In this instance the source was a Zidoo Z9S playing a 4K HDR MKV remux.

Bit confused about where you disable HLG > HDR. The only reference I can find to HLG is "Disable Incoming HLG" which is ticked. Is that where you mean?

To be honest this has prompted me to write a bit of code to toggle the OSD programmatically using RS232 which also means the OSD doesn't pop up unless I want it to which works more elegantly, but I'm curious as to why it happened. Your explanation of extraneous HLG data makes sense though because these Android boxes are not best known for their firm adherence to HDR standards!

I will update the firmware too

Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
post #4033 of 4755 Old 02-07-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply!

In this instance the source was a Zidoo Z9S playing a 4K HDR MKV remux.

Bit confused about where you disable HLG > HDR. The only reference I can find to HLG is "Disable Incoming HLG" which is ticked. Is that where you mean?

To be honest this has prompted me to write a bit of code to toggle the OSD programmatically using RS232 which also means the OSD doesn't pop up unless I want it to which works more elegantly, but I'm curious as to why it happened. Your explanation of extraneous HLG data makes sense though because these Android boxes are not best known for their firm adherence to HDR standards!

I will update the firmware too

Yes, it's called differently for your fw version and Windows GUI, because the purpose and use changed from your version to the latest. so I have described it as it is on latest firmware, while you have it as it was before.
Bottom line is: if you have Disable HDR, it will disable any HDR (including HLG, etc...) and you should never have any such popup during movie anymore.

so just update to latest firmware and just tick Disable HDR.

You will see once you have latest firmware and latest GUI, that Vertex is now offering HDR automatic/on the fly metadata replacement, so you can boost nits levels and others as you want and also HLG > HDR translation, so you can input HLG signal to HDR display.
But since you are using JVC PJ as far as I understand, then you won't need any of that I guess. just Disable HDR in your case.
markswift2003 likes this.

post #4034 of 4755 Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, it's called differently for your fw version and Windows GUI, because the purpose and use changed from your version to the latest. so I have described it as it is on latest firmware, while you have it as it was before.
Bottom line is: if you have Disable HDR, it will disable any HDR (including HLG, etc...) and you should never have any such popup during movie anymore.

so just update to latest firmware and just tick Disable HDR.

You will see once you have latest firmware and latest GUI, that Vertex is now offering HDR automatic/on the fly metadata replacement, so you can boost nits levels and others as you want and also HLG > HDR translation, so you can input HLG signal to HDR display.
But since you are using JVC PJ as far as I understand, then you won't need any of that I guess. just Disable HDR in your case.

Nice one, thank you very much indeed

Updating now....

Awesome - I see what you mean now

Last edited by markswift2003; 02-07-2019 at 08:34 AM.
post #4035 of 4755 Old 02-07-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked: 2403
Quote:
Hi,

Many thanks
Mark
I have seen metadata change with discs that include seamless branching for extended or director's cut version scenes. The extended scenes had different MaxCLL values than the main feature did. This caused my Vertex to display the OSD.

The only other time I have seen the OSD come up unexpectedly was when the audio signal changed in some way. But that was with my Directv box. Since I didn't care about audio information I unchecked all of the OSD audio information related check boxes.
markswift2003 and HDfury like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #4036 of 4755 Old 02-08-2019, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I have seen metadata change with discs that include seamless branching for extended or director's cut version scenes. The extended scenes had different MaxCLL values than the main feature did. This caused my Vertex to display the OSD.

The only other time I have seen the OSD come up unexpectedly was when the audio signal changed in some way. But that was with my Directv box. Since I didn't care about audio information I unchecked all of the OSD audio information related check boxes.

This was an MKV rip I've done myself with just video, audio and chapters so as simple as it gets - I think I can only put it down to the vagaries of android media players and as I said I've now turned the OSD off with a button on my touch panel to bring it up if I need it which I like better than it popping up when menu changes to video etc.

post #4037 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
By looking worse, might it be looking overly dark with a red tint? If so, check that your TV or Projector has not switched to an HDR picture mode.

The UB820 outputs a fantastic 4K picture when in SDR/BT2020 mode.
Thanks for the kind reply, claw.
1. By turning off HDR, are you suggesting SDR/bt2020 output is to be displayed using bt1866 curve on the display?
2. Since bt1866 is meant to work with bt709 colour space, does this mean the ub820 needs to remap bt2020 into bt709 in SDR/bt2020 mode?
3. As that doesn't seem to make much sense, how is it done?
Many thanks and best regards,
post #4038 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
2 things to do on your unit:

1) Remove lock icon (see usermanual p13 or read first post of this thread)
2) Put SCALE SLIDE on AUTOSCALING

Regarding the issue you mention, it sounds like cable issue. so if above doesn't solve your issue, please report back with cable length you have at input and output.

When you say "Put SCALE SLIDE on AUTOSCALING" do you mean under the "Scaler" tab in the GUI select "Auto Scaling" & have all presets selected as "Autosense"
post #4039 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Thanks for the kind reply, claw.
1. By turning off HDR, are you suggesting SDR/bt2020 output is to be displayed using bt1866 curve on the display?
2. Since bt1866 is meant to work with bt709 colour space, does this mean the ub820 needs to remap bt2020 into bt709 in SDR/bt2020 mode?
3. As that doesn't seem to make much sense, how is it done?
Many thanks and best regards,
You should be using a 2.4 gamma and a BT2020 color profile for SDR/BT2020 output.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #4040 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When you say "Put SCALE SLIDE on AUTOSCALING" do you mean under the "Scaler" tab in the GUI select "Auto Scaling" & have all presets selected as "Autosense"

I meant from the unit SCALE slide switch.
If you let slide switch on mid position, then you can use GUI to select AUTOSCALING manually or any other scaling mode.
If you force slide switch on AUTOSCALING, then GUI choice is greyed out.

So both can work, but since you do not need any custom scaling, better just move slide switch, avoid further mistake.
AdamAttewell likes this.

post #4041 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I meant from the unit SCALE slide switch.
If you let slide switch on mid position, then you can use GUI to select AUTOSCALING manually or any other scaling mode.
If you force slide switch on AUTOSCALING, then GUI choice is greyed out.

So both can work, but since you do not need any custom scaling, better just move slide switch, avoid further mistake.

I see so if I leave the slide switch in the middle I can just select autoscaling in the GUI & that will do the same instead?

So with the lock symbol removed & scaling set to auto sense the shield now displays video to the TV but it will only send 4K @ 30Hz YUV 422 12-bit Rec.2020.

The only way I can get 60Hz is to use 1080p

By default the shield outputs 4K @ 60Hz 420 BT709 8bit for some reason.

Last edited by AdamAttewell; 02-09-2019 at 09:18 AM.
post #4042 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see so if I leave the slide switch in the middle I can just select autoscaling in the GUI & that will do the same instead?

So with the lock symbol removed & scaling set to auto sense the shield now displays video to the TV but it will only send 4K @ 30Hz YUV 422 12-bit Rec.2020.

The only way I can get 60Hz is to use 1080p

By default the shield outputs 4K @ 60Hz 420 BT709 8bit for some reason.

Yes, slide on mid position and GUI selection of SCALING TAB> AUTOSCALING is same as putting scale slide on AUTOSCALING (just gui offer extra options instead of default autosense, which you can also select from push button by using a combo of button press, all in usermanual)

For your 4K30, user mistake my friend, post your Vertex config again and i'll let you know what to change. (May be you are not using default custom EDID 11 or moved EDID slide to FIXED position, let EDID slide on mid position and make sure GUI > EDID > CUSTOM EDID 11 is selected)

If EDID correctly set, then may be the issue is that you have not enabled UHD color on the TV HDMI input where you are connected. Anyway, just send config export and I can tell you exactly, it's made for that.

Last edited by HDfury; 02-09-2019 at 09:30 AM.
post #4043 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, slide on mid position and GUI selection of SCALING TAB> AUTOSCALING is same as putting scale slide on AUTOSCALING (just gui offer extra options instead of default autosense, which you can also select from push button by using a combo of button press, all in usermanual)

For your 4K30, user mistake my friend, post your Vertex config again and i'll let you know what to change. (May be you are not using default custom EDID 11 or moved EDID slide to FIXED position, let EDID slide on mid position and make sure GUI > EDID > CUSTOM EDID 11 is selected)

If EDID correctly set, then may be the issue is that you have not enabled UHD color on the TV HDMI input where you are connected. Anyway, just send config export and I can tell you exactly, it's made for that.

Here you go.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 4K30Hz.txt (7.1 KB, 6 views)
post #4044 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Even with EDID 11 selected the Shield still outputs 4K 60HZ 420 BT709 8bit

From cold boot the Shield outputs 4K 60HZ 420 BT709 8bit (I have attached the config file below)

If I issue a hotplug request the Shield will output 4K 60HZ 420 BT2020 10bit but when I try the view HDR content with Netflix or Amazon Video it just displays SDR.

Its like the apps only output what the Shield sets from cold boot any changes after are ignored & wont be applied.

I have included the config file below after I send a hotplug request.

Enhanced format is enabled on HDMI ports 2 & 3, I am using HDMI 2
Attached Files
File Type: txt EDID 11.txt (7.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: txt After Hotplug Request.txt (7.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: txt Cold Boot Shield.txt (7.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by AdamAttewell; 02-09-2019 at 09:58 AM.
post #4045 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here you go.
This config doesn't work because your selected EDID mode in GUI is COPYBOT, which copy BOTTOM EDID, which is your PJ EDID, which is 4K60 420 8b, so results are normal on this config, wrong edid mode selected.
I'll check your other config.

post #4046 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Even with EDID 11 selected the Shield still outputs 4K 60HZ 420 BT709 8bit

From cold boot the Shield outputs 4K 60HZ 420 BT709 8bit (I have attached the config file below)

If I issue a hotplug request the Shield will output 4K 60HZ 420 BT2020 10bit but when I try the view HDR content with Netflix or Amazon Video it just displays SDR.

Its like the apps only output what the Shield sets from cold boot any changes after are ignored & wont be applied.

I have included the config file below after I send a hotplug request.

Enhanced format is enabled on HDMI ports 2 & 3, I am using HDMI 2

Those configs look ok, I would connect SHIELD > VERTEX > PJ/TV to confirm all is fine. You can also use this direct path to test your cable, set shield to 600MHz and see if you got picture on TV, replace cable till 600MHz works fine. (min 6ft, max12ft for copper, kabledirekt/bluejeancable/hdfury brand)
Then insert AVR (may be you did not restart it after edid changes ?) issue should be with the settings if direct path works and not with AVR inline, do you have anything connect at Arcam output, except Vertex ?

I noticed you have PJ at bottom output, you might prefer to have TV at bottom output (which can upscale) and PJ at top output (which can downscale).
> This makes sense if for ex, instead of displaying 4K60 4:2:0 8b HDR with your PJ (which is the PJ max possible signal), you might prefer to display 1080p60 4:4:4 12b HDR.
AdamAttewell likes this.

Last edited by HDfury; 02-09-2019 at 10:59 AM.
post #4047 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Those configs look ok, I would connect SHIELD > VERTEX > PJ/TV to confirm all is fine. You can also use this direct path to test your cable, set shield to 600MHz and see if you got picture on TV, replace cable till 600MHz works fine. (min 6ft, max12ft for copper, kabledirekt/bluejeancable/hdfury brand)
Then insert AVR (may be you did not restart it after edid changes ?) issue should be with the settings if direct path works and not with AVR inline, do you have anything connect at Arcam output, except Vertex ?

I noticed you have PJ at bottom output, you might prefer to have TV at bottom output (which can upscale) and PJ at top output (which can downscale).
> This makes sense if for ex, instead of displaying 4K60 4:2:0 8b HDR with your PJ (which is the PJ max possible signal), you might prefer to display 1080p60 4:4:4 12b HDR.

I will connect the Shield to the Vertex directly & see if that works correctly, I really hope the cable is not the issue as it is installed in a wall.

It's a Blue Jeans Cable Belden Series 1 that is six meters long.

Nothing is plugged into the second output on the Arcam. Only the Vertex is connected to output 1.

I will switch the projector to the top output & the TV at the bottom as you said as this makes sense. I purchased the Vertex as the Arcam HDMI chipset seems to be more trouble than its worth when using both outputs.

I just want the Vertex to act as a splitter & send the max Audio & Video to both the TV & the projector without any switching of settings manually.

How do I set the Shield to output 600MHz? I am in the HDMI Display Modes menu & can see all the available resolutions, frame rates, colour spaces but cannot see where it says 600MHz.

I have taken the Arcam out of the chain & the Shield outputs 4K, 60Hz, 420 10bit Rec 2020 as the "recommended" output settings. I get HDR no problem on all the apps.

I can force 4K, 60Hz, 422, 12bit, Rec 2020 no problem, does that mean my cable is OK?

Then I have put the Arcam back in the chain & turned everything off. I then Turned on the TV then the Arcam & finally the Shield.

The Shield outputs 4K 60Hz 420 BT2020 10bit Rec 2020 which was the same as before without the Arcam in the chain. But now when I try to view HDR content on Amazon Video or Netflix it does not output HDR!

Does this mean the Arcam is causing the problem? I have attached the config with the Arcam in the chain.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Arcam In Chain.txt (7.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by AdamAttewell; 02-09-2019 at 12:26 PM.
post #4048 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I use a 25 foot (7.62 meter) BJC Series 1 cable with no issues. It passes a full 4K60 4:2:2 12-bit BT2020 HDR signal, the maximum permitted under HDMI 2.0 specs.

CJ
post #4049 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I use a 25 foot (7.62 meter) BJC Series 1 cable with no issues. It passes a full 4K60 4:2:2 12-bit BT2020 HDR signal, the maximum permitted under HDMI 2.0 specs.

I see where 600Mhz is now it is show in the Vertex GUI, when I set the shield to output 4K, 60Hz, 422, 12bit, Rec 2020 this is displayed at being 596MHz & it seems ok at first and then the picture starts to flash like the TV is constantly handshaking.

This to me seems to be a cable issue, but I only want to pass 4K 60Hz 420 BT2020 10bit & without the Arcam this works great but as soon as the Arcam in in the chain no apps with display HDR for some strange reason.
post #4050 of 4755 Old 02-09-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see where 600Mhz is now it is show in the Vertex GUI, when I set the shield to output 4K, 60Hz, 422, 12bit, Rec 2020 this is displayed at being 596MHz & it seems ok at first and then the picture starts to flash like the TV is constantly handshaking.

This to me seems to be a cable issue, but I only want to pass 4K 60Hz 420 BT2020 10bit & without the Arcam this works great but as soon as the Arcam in in the chain no apps with display HDR for some strange reason.

If Claw is right about the cable (but the fact that his cable works does not necessary means yours will work too) then the issue is with the other cable you are using. since when you connect SHIELD > cable1 > Vertex > Cable2 > TV, you need at least 2 cables and if you add AVR, then it's 3 cables.
So once again, repeat same test, take SHIELD > cable1 > TV, see if you can reach 600MHz/18Gbps, then do same with cable2. if one is not good, replace it by recommended brand and length. Similarly test cable3 for AVR insertion.

If you only need to pass 4K60 420 10b, then you need to confirm where in the chain is placed the cable that is in the wall. You then also need to keep TV at top out and PJ at bot out and set autoscaling preset to the following:
4K60 PRESET : 4K60 420 8b
4K60 422 HDR PRESET: 4K60 420 12b
4K30 PRESET: 4K30 422 12b

However please note that the first link from SHIELD to VERTEX will still be 600MHz/18Gbps, so the cable needs to be very good here. same if you add AVR in the chain, then at least 2 cables should work for 600MHz: SHIELD>600MHz cable>AVR>600MHz cable>VERTEX> ... 375MHz cable> TV/PJ

Until you have good enough cable (if you don't have enough good ones presently) you can use a lower custom EDID, such as Custom EDID 29 which is 4K60 420 12b BT2020 HDR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
avr-sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page