HDFury Vertex - Owners thread - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1161Likes

post #4591 of 4650 Old 11-08-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Why is this processor so popular with JVC RS400 owners, i did load the curves for HDR, im to understand those curves are fixed and there MAY Be a better way to improve the RS400 pocture performance

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4650 Old 11-08-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 2238
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Why is this processor so popular with JVC RS400 owners, i did load the curves for HDR, im to understand those curves are fixed and there MAY Be a better way to improve the RS400 pocture performance
The RS400/RS500/RS600 have two issues that the Vertex helps resolve:

1. Projector automatically selects the broken Gamma D curve whenever it sees an incoming HDR10 signal.

The Vertex resolves this by the inclusion of the Disable HDR checkbox on the HDR tab of the GUI. Marking this checkbox results in the JVC not seeing the signal as HDR so no switch is made to Gamma D.

2. Projector disables the Dynamic Iris whenever it sees an incoming HDR10 signal.

The same Vertex Disable HDR checkbox results in the JVC leaving the Dynamic Iris enabled.

In addition, the Vertex has a set of JVC Macros that will send commands over RS-232 to the projector to switch to a specific user mode depending upon the signal format. If you have a custom user mode for HDR10 defined in your projector, you select that user mode in the JVC Macro for HDR10. When the Vertex sees HDR10 input, the HDR10 macro is executed and an RS-232 command is sent to the projector to select the user mode.

There are macros for HDR10, SDR BT2020, SDR BT709, and HLG among others. The macros automate the selection of JVC custom user modes so you don't have to manually do it.
HDfury likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 11-08-2019 at 08:20 AM.
post #4593 of 4650 Old 11-08-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 608 Post(s)
Quoted: 4520 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Arrow Vertex FW 1.37.1.45

This update is ONLY mandatory IF you are using 4K50 420 signal downscaled to 1080p50 and met any issue.

####################> What's new/fixed in 1.37.1.45 / GUI 1.34

1. Fixed a condition when input is 4K50 420 and downscaled to 1080p50, Wrong VIC code was presented at the output.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4594 of 4650 Old 11-08-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Quote:
The RS400/RS500/RS600 have two issues that the Vertex helps resolve:

1. Projector automatically selects the broken Gamma D curve whenever it sees an incoming HDR10 signal.

The Vertex resolves this by the inclusion of the Disable HDR checkbox on the HDR tab of the GUI. Marking this checkbox results in the JVC not seeing the signal as HDR so no switch is made to Gamma D.

2. Projector disables the Dynamic Iris whenever it sees an incoming HDR10 signal.

The same Vertex Disable HDR checkbox results in the JVC leaving the Dynamic Iris enabled.

In addition, the Vertex has a set of JVC Macros that will send commands over RS-232 to the projector to switch to a specific user mode depending upon the signal format. If you have a custom user mode for HDR10 defined in your projector, you select that user mode in the JVC Macro for HDR10. When the Vertex sees HDR10 input, the HDR10 macro is executed and an RS-232 command is sent to the projector to select the user mode.

There are macros for HDR10, SDR BT2020, SDR BT709, and HLG among others. The macros automate the selection of JVC custom user modes so you don't have to manually do it.
Gotcha, how involved is the setup. Theres a first generation and what looks like a second generation, theres a $100 difference in price, does the version2 improve upon version1........$100 more :0)

I find messing with the RS’s menus everytime is getting old, thank you for a super concise answer to my question

post #4595 of 4650 Old 11-08-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
@HDfury ...

Have you experimented with editing the EDID block data to possibly address something like display peak brightness, that might be written in the EDID?

The Vertex UI appears to be able to decode EDID block information for displays connected to the BOT connector. That probably means HDFury might know how to decode this EDID block. Would it be possible too provide a function to reverse this - and create a custom EDID with a specific peak display brightness?

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
post #4596 of 4650 Old 11-08-2019, 04:22 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked: 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
@HDfury ...

Have you experimented with editing the EDID block data to possibly address something like display peak brightness, that might be written in the EDID?

The Vertex UI appears to be able to decode EDID block information for displays connected to the BOT connector. That probably means HDFury might know how to decode this EDID block. Would it be possible too provide a function to reverse this - and create a custom EDID with a specific peak display brightness?
Haha, you beat me to it.

@HDfury I am sure has the ability to decode the DV Video Data CEA Timing Extension to human readable form, it would be pretty useful to allow the creation of custom DV EDIDs with different peak brightness for the purpose of getting the player-led LLDV tone mapping to apply a different curve that might be more suitable for projector display.
Bytehoven likes this.
post #4597 of 4650 Old 11-08-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Haha, you beat me to it.
Actually, I think I borrowed your idea James.

What are the tools used by the manufacturer?

Is there a process Dolby uses to the receive and certify display EDID information?

Or is this a total inhouse process at Dolby to protect any non disclosed IP?

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone

Last edited by Bytehoven; 11-08-2019 at 04:52 PM.
post #4598 of 4650 Old 11-08-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gotcha, how involved is the setup. Theres a first generation and what looks like a second generation, theres a $100 difference in price, does the version2 improve upon version1........$100 more :0)

I find messing with the RS’s menus everytime is getting old, thank you for a super concise answer to my question
4 HDMI inputs instead of 2.
2 full 4K60 outputs plus 1 Audio Only output for connection to an AVR

Webserver/Browser based UI instead of requiring a Windows PC to install a GUI on.

Probably worth the $100 to most users. The browser interface makes it super easy to change configuration options.

I don't have a Vertex2 though.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #4599 of 4650 Old 11-08-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

I find messing with the RS’️s menus everytime is getting old, thank you for a super concise answer to my question
4 HDMI inputs instead of 2.
2 full 4K60 outputs plus 1 Audio Only output for connection to an AVR

Webserver/Browser based UI instead of requiring a Windows PC to install a GUI on.

Probably worth the $100 to most users. The browser interface makes it super easy to change configuration options.

I don't have a Vertex2 though.
You have gen/1 ? Do you have a JVC RS400 ?

Is the setup quite involved ?

post #4600 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 01:14 AM
NXR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
You probably connected the unit to computer before driver was installed and windows took them from internet which won't work, so just removed them, reboot, reinstall, reboot, connect ,wait for usb notification from windows and then proceed.

You already asked same question on support server, please use ONE WAY to ask for support only, otherwise we delay others and repeat same thing for nothing.

you prolly need to use AUTOMIX with TOP OUT flag checked if AVR is at TOP OUT.
if that does not help, export your config (usermanual p43) and add it as attachment in your post.
Thanks. How do I delete the drivers? I went into device manager but there is nothing there for the vertex. Nothing in "remove programs" in Windows settings either.
post #4601 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Thanks. How do I delete the drivers? I went into device manager but there is nothing there for the vertex. Nothing in "remove programs" in Windows settings either.
You need to look for "Silabs", "Silicon Laboratories", "USBXpress"
Remove any reference to any of those 3, reboot, reinstall, reboot, connect and wait for usb notification and then proceed normally.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
post #4602 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@HDfury...

Vertex can decode EDID info from any output, not just BOT connector.
Now it seems you are talking about DV datablock, that's something else and we cannot decode all values with certainty atm, however we have guessed a few of them correctly already. (to be exact, all is known for Version1 but not for Version2 yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Haha, you beat me to it.

@HDfury I am sure has the ability to decode the DV Video Data CEA Timing Extension to human readable form, it would be pretty useful to allow the creation of custom DV EDIDs with different peak brightness for the purpose of getting the player-led LLDV tone mapping to apply a different curve that might be more suitable for projector display.

Sure, playing with a few values in edid cannot hurt
I'll talk to our devs and let you know, however if anything like this can be done, it won't be done on Vertex/Integral2 for the simple reason I gave many times already, memory is full on Vertex/Integral2 that's why we have new generation with much more memory available, so if such addition is ever made, it will be on new generation: Vertex2, Maestro, Diva.
Bytehoven likes this.

Last edited by HDfury; 11-09-2019 at 06:24 AM.
post #4603 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 06:58 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked: 1888
Quote:
Now it seems you are talking about DV datablock, that's something else and we cannot decode all values with certainty atm, however we have guessed a few of them correctly already. (to be exact, all is known for Version1 but not for Version2 yet)

I'll talk to our devs and let you know, however if anything like this can be done, it won't be done on Vertex/Integral2 for the simple reason I gave many times already, memory is full on Vertex/Integral2 that's why we have new generation with much more memory available, so if such addition is ever made, it will be on new generation: Vertex2, Maestro, Diva.
Yes, it is specifically the DV datablock that is interesting. The theory is that the LLDV engine in players is reading this datablock and tuning its tone mapping parameters appropriately. All the LLDV datablocks in existence are for quite high luminance displays; the question is if you present a LLDV datablock which has a much lower luminance do you get a tone mapping output which is much more appropriate for, for instance, a projection display.

If you have the ability to build a couple of EDIDs for testing it would be interesting, what you'd want is significantly different max luminance levels to the EDIDs that are publicly available.

I guess for older generations if there are synthetic EDIDs discovered by this kind of process that can work well and offer useful LLDV behaviour in attached players for people with non-DV displays, then those synthetic EDIDs could always be offered for upload as custom EDIDs to people with old product (with new product having slots for them as presets and perhaps interactive generator function).
Bytehoven likes this.
post #4604 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

@HDfury , do the Vertex2, Diva and Maestro pull power from the main USB connection like the Vertex, or iare there a separate power supply and data connections? I ask because one issue I find I'd love to change is having to keep the laptop always on to send power to the vertex, or having to switch the USB cable back and forth with the AC wart.

Are there any Black Friday upgrade deals coming for HDFury?

I would also be glad to test any experimental LLDV EDIDs.

post #4605 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@HDfury, do the Vertex2, Diva and Maestro pull power from the main USB connection like the Vertex, or iare there a separate power supply and data connections? I ask because one issue I find I'd love to change is having to keep the laptop always on to send power to the vertex, or having to switch the USB cable back and forth with the AC wart.

Are there any Black Friday upgrade deals coming for HDFury?

I would also be glad to test any experimental LLDV EDIDs.
Diva, Vertex2, Maestro need more power than Vertex1/Integral2, they have dedicated power supply and communication is NOT done anymore via USB, it's either Webserver, Telnet/IP control or RS232 (and IR as well for control)

Regarding the Vertex, we have made a Y usb cable, so you can power from Wall plug adapter and communicate with PC at the same time, so you can turn off your PC, it won't turn off Vertex.

Yes there will be black Friday discount.
Bytehoven likes this.

post #4606 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@HDfury

Is there a way to make the Vertex stay in pass thru mode? I'm finding when using the vertex with two sources, the vertex is choosing to change to port 1 or port 0, sending that port to both outputs. I can reset with the GUI, but it can change when I turn everything off and then back on the next day.

I'm assume I need to amend my device turn on order, although one device remains on (ATV 4K) when I shut everything else down.

Would leaving the vertex powered from an unswitched electrical source make a difference?

Thanks.

post #4607 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I use a first generation Vertex with my JVC RS500.

Here is a link that describes the macros and suggestions for the required RS-232 cable and an audio extension cable if needed:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post55112952

Here is another link that includes a zip file with a PDF guide:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post55408090
mavang and HDfury like this.

CJ
post #4608 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@HDfury

Is there a way to make the Vertex stay in pass thru mode? I'm finding when using the vertex with two sources, the vertex is choosing to change to port 1 or port 0, sending that port to both outputs. I can reset with the GUI, but it can change when I turn everything off and then back on the next day.

I'm assume I need to amend my device turn on order, although one device remains on (ATV 4K) when I shut everything else down.

Would leaving the vertex powered from an unswitched electrical source make a difference?

Thanks.
I'm sorry but I'm not sure I got your question right.

What I can tell you from the info you gave me is the following:

Since you have ATV4K and since ATV4K is one of those devices that keep sending +5v in standy, then it will appear as always on and if you have Vertex1 set to autoswitch, it will always try to switch to ATV4K since it appears always on.
Autoswitching sources that keep sending +5v in standby mode is a problem we solved on new generation maestro, diva and vertex 2 by using TMDS switching which will switch based on real pixel clock of the signal.
so when working with such source, you need to use MANUAL SWITCH or INPUT PRIORITY.

if input priority is selected then vertex will switch to whatever source is turned on lately, so if you have ATV4K and other source (please give me the other source brand/model), input priority can help you switch off from ATV4K to last powered on source and Autoswitch can help you switch back from last powered on source back to ATV4K once that previous source is turned off. if you have 2 sources that keep sending +5v in standby, you have no other choice than using manual switch or trade in for new generation if you really need autoswitch to work for any sources.

post #4609 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm sorry but I'm not sure I got your question right.

What I can tell you from the info you gave me is the following:

Since you have ATV4K and since ATV4K is one of those devices that keep sending +5v in standy, then it will appear as always on and if you have Vertex1 set to autoswitch, it will always try to switch to ATV4K since it appears always on.
Autoswitching sources that keep sending +5v in standby mode is a problem we solved on new generation maestro, diva and vertex 2 by using TMDS switching which will switch based on real pixel clock of the signal.
so when working with such source, you need to use MANUAL SWITCH or INPUT PRIORITY.

if input priority is selected then vertex will switch to whatever source is turned on lately, so if you have ATV4K and other source (please give me the other source brand/model), input priority can help you switch off from ATV4K to last powered on source and Autoswitch can help you switch back from last powered on source back to ATV4K once that previous source is turned off. if you have 2 sources that keep sending +5v in standby, you have no other choice than using manual switch or trade in for new generation if you really need autoswitch to work for any sources.
The current setup is...

X800m2 -> vertex input 0/output 0 -> AVR -> X990 (Sony A1 LLDV) (I shut this device off)
ATV4K -> vertex input 1/output 1 -> AVR -> X990 (Sony A1 LLDV) (this device stays on/in sleep mode)

I would like input 1 to only go to output 1, and input 0 to only go to output 0. I don't need the vertex to matrix. It sounds like maybe I'm over looking a setting to disable auto switching and just set to pass thru only? Unless you're saying what I would like to do requires an upgrade.

Thanks.

post #4610 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The current setup is...

X800m2 -> vertex input 0/output 0 -> AVR -> X990 (Sony A1 LLDV) (I shut this device off)
ATV4K -> vertex input 1/output 1 -> AVR -> X990 (Sony A1 LLDV) (this device stays on/in sleep mode)

I would like input 1 to only go to output 1, and input 0 to only go to output 0. I don't need the vertex to matrix. It sounds like maybe I'm over looking a setting to disable auto switching and just set to pass thru only? Unless you're saying what I would like to do requires an upgrade.

Thanks.
If you only need 1 input to 1 output, then only option is MATRIX mode, no other mode will allow this.

post #4611 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My bad, I see the auto switch option on the config tab. I'll set that to manual. (Red Face)

Got it... Matrix Thru + Auto Switch OFF

Last edited by Bytehoven; 11-09-2019 at 02:26 PM.
post #4612 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My bad, I see the auto switch option on the config tab. I'll set that to manual. (Red Face)

Got it... Matrix Thru + Auto Switch OFF

Well to be exact, you need AUTOSWITCH OFF and INPUT PRIORITY ON if I understand everything well when in SPLITTER MODE (1 input replicated to 2 outputs), there switching input makes sense.

But in Matrix Mode, switching settings do not really apply since Matrix can do 2 inputs to 2 outputs at the same time and basically what you can do is pass thru direct (input 0 to output 0, input 1 to output 1) or SWAP (input 0 to output 1, input 1 to output 0)

post #4613 of 4650 Old 11-09-2019, 06:50 PM
NXR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
You need to look for "Silabs", "Silicon Laboratories", "USBXpress"
Remove any reference to any of those 3, reboot, reinstall, reboot, connect and wait for usb notification and then proceed normally.
Me again... I have followed your instructions however I still cant get the GUI to open properly Below is the specific steps I took, have I done something wrong?

• Device Manger > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > uninstall USBXpress Device
• Disconnect USB > restart computer
• Install Silabs Driver v4 > restart computer
• Connect USB
• Run MCU > powercycle Vertex
• Run FPGA > powercycle Vertex
• Hold RST and press INP 2 times to remove lock symbol > powercycle Vertex
• Go to ‘Compatibility’ tab on GUI file and click ‘Override high DPI scaling behaviour’ and select ‘System Enhanced’
• Open GUI

Also I didn't get any pop up notification when I connected the USB so I went into the GUI folder to access MCU etc.
post #4614 of 4650 Old 11-10-2019, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@HDfury

Thanks.
I put my ATV4K to sleep mode in Settings when I am finished viewing to avoid auto-switching to it.
Bytehoven likes this.

CJ
post #4615 of 4650 Old 11-10-2019, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@HDfury ... is there an accessory for the vertex to mount the unit on a shelf or the side of a cabinet?

post #4616 of 4650 Old 11-10-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Me again... I have followed your instructions however I still cant get the GUI to open properly Below is the specific steps I took, have I done something wrong?

• Device Manger > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > uninstall USBXpress Device
• Disconnect USB > restart computer
• Install Silabs Driver v4 > restart computer
• Connect USB
• Run MCU > powercycle Vertex
• Run FPGA > powercycle Vertex
• Hold RST and press INP 2 times to remove lock symbol > powercycle Vertex
• Go to ‘Compatibility’ tab on GUI file and click ‘Override high DPI scaling behaviour’ and select ‘System Enhanced’
• Open GUI

Also I didn't get any pop up notification when I connected the USB so I went into the GUI folder to access MCU etc.

What do you mean by you cannot have GUI to open properly ?
If you can update MCU or FPGA, then it means drivers are correctly installed and all is fine.
When you connect device by USB to windows PC, there should be a windows notification SOUND playing when you connect or disconnect an USB Device.

Normally you remove the drivers from the INSTALLED PROGRAM LIST, not from device manager but may be you just found another way to do the same thing, not sure thus.

post #4617 of 4650 Old 11-10-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@HDfury ... is there an accessory for the vertex to mount the unit on a shelf or the side of a cabinet?
No sorry, that we do not have unfortunately.

post #4618 of 4650 Old 11-10-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

I use a first generation Vertex with my JVC RS500.

Here is a link that describes the macros and suggestions for the required RS-232 cable and an audio extension cable if needed:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post55112952

Here is another link that includes a zip file with a PDF guide:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post55408090
Wow, ok im gonna have to let this sink in a bit.
Thank you for the link

post #4619 of 4650 Old 11-10-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Backing up a bit, the vertex would be mounted by my Pj, simple hdmi in/out.

RS232 cable seems simple enough.

Is the vertex set and forget for the most part ? If not what would be accessed, and for what....

post #4620 of 4650 Old 11-10-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Backing up a bit, the vertex would be mounted by my Pj, simple hdmi in/out.

RS232 cable seems simple enough.

Is the vertex set and forget for the most part ? If not what would be accessed, and for what....
Yes, you need to setup once and then you can export config and if you ever need to update anything in the future, once updated import config back and you are back to pre-update settings.
We do not expect much update for Vertex from now on, we just did one fixing a bug that went thru a couple of years fully unnoticed. I guess we can say it's pretty solid currently.
Bytehoven likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
avr-sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page