HDFury Vertex - Owners thread - Page 155 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1169Likes

post #4621 of 4718 Old 11-10-2019, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Yes, you need to setup once and then you can export config and if you ever need to update anything in the future, once updated import config back and you are back to pre-update settings.
We do not expect much update for Vertex from now on, we just did one fixing a bug that went thru a couple of years fully unnoticed. I guess we can say it's pretty solid currently.
as stated in the opening of the PDF, Not for beginners :0( I went flippin nuts trying to load curves on my JVC, I am a beginner of all the beginner noobs. This product and the thread speak another language.........maybe i'll just lurk and try to pick up the lingo
mavang likes this.

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 4718 Old 11-10-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 621 Post(s)
Quoted: 4657 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
as stated in the opening of the PDF, Not for beginners :0( I went flippin nuts trying to load curves on my JVC, I am a beginner of all the beginner noobs. This product and the thread speak another language.........maybe i'll just lurk and try to pick up the lingo
You can prolly hire some good calibrators that will set everything up for you.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
post #4623 of 4718 Old 11-10-2019, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Quote:
You can prolly hire some good calibrators that will set everything up for you.
Wts, I was looking at some of the JPEG‘s screenshots in the main page with all the tabs on the top, is that the only main page is that the starting point for all the settings, just wondering if there’s more to it than that page if that’s a good place to start understanding how this thing works for me

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4624 of 4718 Old 11-11-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wts, I was looking at some of the JPEG‘s screenshots in the main page with all the tabs on the top, is that the only main page is that the starting point for all the settings, just wondering if there’s more to it than that page if that’s a good place to start understanding how this thing works for me

Sorry I'm not sure which page you are talking about, can you add a link ?
If you are talking about JVC macro, best starting point is to follow Manni post in JVC thread.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
post #4625 of 4718 Old 11-11-2019, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to use my Vertex and was looking for some guidance on the setup.

Currently:

Wii U (set to output 480p) > mClassic > HDMI Switch > Denon AVR (3500H) > LG C7

Can I place HDFury Vertex as:

Wii U > HDMI Switch > mClassic > Vertex > AVR > C7

And what configurations do I need to on the Vertex for mClassic to see Vertex as a 1080p screen/display?
Also can Vertex be set to 1440p? And would it scale 1440p to 4k?
post #4626 of 4718 Old 11-11-2019, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netcivilian View Post
I'm trying to use my Vertex and was looking for some guidance on the setup.

Currently:

Wii U (set to output 480p) > mClassic > HDMI Switch > Denon AVR (3500H) > LG C7

Can I place HDFury Vertex as:

Wii U > HDMI Switch > mClassic > Vertex > AVR > C7

And what configurations do I need to on the Vertex for mClassic to see Vertex as a 1080p screen/display?
Also can Vertex be set to 1440p? And would it scale 1440p to 4k?

Hello,

I don't know what mClassic is, I tried to google it but found an indiegogo page not working and no way to find any proper usermanual...
Anyway as long as it output a valid signal then it should work.

If you want downstream device to see Vertex as 1080p device, just select a Custom EDID for 1080p in the list of 100 EDID banks available.
You can pass thru 1440p, but you can only upscale/downscale between FHD <> UHD.

IF you have problem, just export and post your config (usermanual p43)

post #4627 of 4718 Old 11-11-2019, 09:23 PM

Thanks for you response. Need some additional clarifications.

Quote:
Hello,

I don't know what mClassic is, I tried to google it but found an indiegogo page not working and no way to find any proper usermanual...
Anyway as long as it output a valid signal then it should work.
mClassic is basically an anti-aliasing device. It basically anti-aliases the HDMI signal and also scales. For example, if I give it a 480p signal from my Wii U game console. It will apply anti-aliasing and also upscale to either 1080p or 1440p depending on the supported display.

www .marseilleinc. com /mclassic (please remove spaces)
www .marseilleinc. com /mclassic-tech-specs (please remove spaces)

Quote:
If you want downstream device to see Vertex as 1080p device, just select a Custom EDID for 1080p in the list of 100 EDID banks available.
So the downstream device would be the mClassic or the AVR? Is downstream input device or output? I want the input device to see the Vertex as a 1440p display.

Quote:
You can pass thru 1440p, but you can only upscale/downscale between FHD <> UHD.
Does Vertex 2 support 1440p upscaling to UHD?

Last edited by netcivilian; 11-11-2019 at 09:28 PM.
post #4628 of 4718 Old 11-12-2019, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for you response. Need some additional clarifications.

mClassic is basically an anti-aliasing device. It basically anti-aliases the HDMI signal and also scales. For example, if I give it a 480p signal from my Wii U game console. It will apply anti-aliasing and also upscale to either 1080p or 1440p depending on the supported display.

www .marseilleinc. com /mclassic (please remove spaces)
www .marseilleinc. com /mclassic-tech-specs (please remove spaces)

So the downstream device would be the mClassic or the AVR? Is downstream input device or output? I want the input device to see the Vertex as a 1440p display.

Does Vertex 2 support 1440p upscaling to UHD?

Yes I found those links too but no proper usermanual yet. How are the results with your Wii U ?

EDID is read from source (your Wii U) > ... > ... > sink (usually a display)
So you set EDID at Vertex INPUT so the device connected before Vertex (from a source point of view) will see that EDID value as max and won't send something unsupported.

None of our devices support 1440p > 4K, only FHD <> UHD with or without chroma change, color depth change, color space change, deep color change, hdcp change, metadata change, etc...

Last edited by HDfury; 11-12-2019 at 12:14 AM.
post #4629 of 4718 Old 11-12-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Yes I found those links too but no proper usermanual yet. How are the results with your Wii U ?
The Wii U looks really good. I was wowed by the results.

Quote:
EDID is read from source (your Wii U) > ... > ... > sink (usually a display)
So you set EDID at Vertex INPUT so the device connected before Vertex (from a source point of view) will see that EDID value as max and won't send something unsupported.

None of our devices support 1440p > 4K, only FHD <> UHD with or without chroma change, color depth change, color space change, deep color change, hdcp change, metadata change, etc...
1440p > 4K support not available is unfortunate, maybe a firmware update?

Besides that, thank you for your time and support.
post #4630 of 4718 Old 11-12-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Wii U looks really good. I was wowed by the results.

1440p > 4K support not available is unfortunate, maybe a firmware update?

Besides that, thank you for your time and support.
No sorry, 1440p > 4K is not possible even with firmware update.

post #4631 of 4718 Old 11-15-2019, 05:30 PM
NXR

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
What do you mean by you cannot have GUI to open properly ?
If you can update MCU or FPGA, then it means drivers are correctly installed and all is fine.
When you connect device by USB to windows PC, there should be a windows notification SOUND playing when you connect or disconnect an USB Device.

Normally you remove the drivers from the INSTALLED PROGRAM LIST, not from device manager but may be you just found another way to do the same thing, not sure thus.
When I click the GUI nothing happens for a few minutes and I have attached a pic of what it looks like when it does finally open. If i go to click anything in the GUI it fades out and states its 'not responding'. I then have to close it through task manager.

It does make a sound when i connect/disconnect the device and I could not find anything in the program list however device manager did work in uninstalling the drivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vertex 1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	2641616  
post #4632 of 4718 Old 11-15-2019, 05:35 PM
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
When I click the GUI nothing happens for a few minutes and I have attached a pic of what it looks like when it does finally open. If i go to click anything in the GUI it fades out and states its 'not responding'. I then have to close it through task manager.

It does make a sound when i connect/disconnect the device and I could not find anything in the program list however device manager did work in uninstalling the drivers.
Also, if I try and open the GUI again (while im waiting for it to load) it comes up with a few more error messages (attached) and then it just opens a blank GUI. By the time i close all of these, the GUI opens again from the first time i clicked it with the 'not responding' image i attached in my previous message.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vertex 2.jpg
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	2641618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vertex 3.jpg
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	2641620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vertex 4.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	2641622  
post #4633 of 4718 Old 11-16-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Also, if I try and open the GUI again (while im waiting for it to load) it comes up with a few more error messages (attached) and then it just opens a blank GUI. By the time i close all of these, the GUI opens again from the first time i clicked it with the 'not responding' image i attached in my previous message.
Ok first seems like there is a conflict, weird characters on screenshot, do you have other USB peripherals connected ? if yes, try removing them, if you have a USB hub, you can try to insert it between PC and Vertex.
You wrote before that you update MCU and FPGA, how long did it take ? I would redo those updates first because FW is not reported on GUI.
I guess at this point what would make sense is to try on another computer.
There is known issue with some watercooling system for PC, if you have any of that, then that is more likely the issue here.

Second issue/post you made is normal, you can only run one instance at a time, similarly, you cannot run MCU or FPGA updater and GUI together, you have to close updater before running GUI, or close GUI before running updater.

post #4634 of 4718 Old 11-16-2019, 08:28 PM
NXR

Quote:
Ok first seems like there is a conflict, weird characters on screenshot, do you have other USB peripherals connected ? if yes, try removing them, if you have a USB hub, you can try to insert it between PC and Vertex.
You wrote before that you update MCU and FPGA, how long did it take ? I would redo those updates first because FW is not reported on GUI.
I guess at this point what would make sense is to try on another computer.
There is known issue with some watercooling system for PC, if you have any of that, then that is more likely the issue here.

Second issue/post you made is normal, you can only run one instance at a time, similarly, you cannot run MCU or FPGA updater and GUI together, you have to close updater before running GUI, or close GUI before running updater.
I have tried it on another computer and it works fine (see attached). Both computers are running Win 10 pro. I have tried unplugging everything except for the monitors however that has not worked either and I dont have a watercooling system. Unfortunately the USB hub didnt work.

The updates for MCU and FPGA took around 1 min each, and I closed them before opening the GUI. One computer is intel and one is AMD CPU, would that make a difference? Would it help if I give you my computer specs?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vertex.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	2642018  

Last edited by NXR; 11-16-2019 at 08:56 PM.
post #4635 of 4718 Old 11-16-2019, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
I've never been able to get ARC to work with any of the previous HDfury products I've tried (this includes original Integral or original Vertex). They connect and show up in the TV's CEC map as a receiver and the TV claims to be sending audio to external speakers via ARC but nothing comes out of the optical port of either HDfury device. I see red light in the optical port so I know they are not completely dead. I can also hear audio out of the optical port when it's coming in via one of the HDMI inputs. It just won't work if audio is coming in from the output via TV ARC. CEC is enabled VIA GUI and set as receiver (not default video processor). I also tried power cycling TV multiple times with no change.

To simplify the problem, I even tried the most basic configuration possible. TV ARC HDMI input connected to HDfury top output on Integral or bottom output on the Vertex. Then a pair of regular analog headphones plugged into the HDFury optical/headphone jack. Nothing else connected at all to any of the other inputs or outputs of HDfury device or TV. Still silence via ARC. The headphones do produce sound if I send PCM to one of the HDfury HDMI inputs and select that input.

So what gives? Is there some secret means of selecting the ARC input on the HDfury? If not, then how does it know it's supposed to pass the ARC audio out of the optical port instead of passing audio from one of the two HDMI inputs? Pressing the input button just cycles through top and bottom input but no obvious way to select the ARC "input" as a source of audio for the optical/headphone port.

I've tried this whole thing on two different TV's. A Samsung and a Sony. Both set to output only PCM so I can test with just analog headphones plugged directly into the HDFury. Same results.

ARC works fine on both TVs when plugged into a Denon receiver and the status confirms stereo PCM coming from the TV. On the HDFury, I can't even hear the TV menu sound effects.
post #4636 of 4718 Old 11-17-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have tried it on another computer and it works fine (see attached). Both computers are running Win 10 pro. I have tried unplugging everything except for the monitors however that has not worked either and I dont have a watercooling system. Unfortunately the USB hub didnt work.

The updates for MCU and FPGA took around 1 min each, and I closed them before opening the GUI. One computer is intel and one is AMD CPU, would that make a difference? Would it help if I give you my computer specs?

Yes, this GUI screenshot is good.

FPGA 1min is ok, MCU should be just a couple of secs. I would re install driver.
go in program files (if installed Drivers MUST appear here), remove any reference to Silabs, silicon laboratories, usbxpress. reboot computer, reinstall driver, reboot, connect Vertex, wait for usb notification sound from windows and finally proceed with MCU Update.

post #4637 of 4718 Old 11-17-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
I've never been able to get ARC to work with any of the previous HDfury products I've tried (this includes original Integral or original Vertex). They connect and show up in the TV's CEC map as a receiver and the TV claims to be sending audio to external speakers via ARC but nothing comes out of the optical port of either HDfury device. I see red light in the optical port so I know they are not completely dead. I can also hear audio out of the optical port when it's coming in via one of the HDMI inputs. It just won't work if audio is coming in from the output via TV ARC. CEC is enabled VIA GUI and set as receiver (not default video processor). I also tried power cycling TV multiple times with no change.

To simplify the problem, I even tried the most basic configuration possible. TV ARC HDMI input connected to HDfury top output on Integral or bottom output on the Vertex. Then a pair of regular analog headphones plugged into the HDFury optical/headphone jack. Nothing else connected at all to any of the other inputs or outputs of HDfury device or TV. Still silence via ARC. The headphones do produce sound if I send PCM to one of the HDfury HDMI inputs and select that input.

So what gives? Is there some secret means of selecting the ARC input on the HDfury? If not, then how does it know it's supposed to pass the ARC audio out of the optical port instead of passing audio from one of the two HDMI inputs? Pressing the input button just cycles through top and bottom input but no obvious way to select the ARC "input" as a source of audio for the optical/headphone port.

I've tried this whole thing on two different TV's. A Samsung and a Sony. Both set to output only PCM so I can test with just analog headphones plugged directly into the HDFury. Same results.

ARC works fine on both TVs when plugged into a Denon receiver and the status confirms stereo PCM coming from the TV. On the HDFury, I can't even hear the TV menu sound effects.

Ok, for Integral, please ask in Integral thread.

For Vertex, please export and post config (usermanual p43) when you think you have stereo coming in from TV and that it should work but does not.
Is Denon output or any other audio system output connected to TV when you are trying ?

You are asking a good question here "how does it know it's supposed to pass the ARC audio out of the optical port instead of passing audio from one of the two HDMI inputs"
You never know, TV is leading it negotiates ARC (which seems not the case for you yet) and then it should release it, based on you changing from TV apps to HDMI input for ex.

post #4638 of 4718 Old 11-17-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, for Integral, please ask in Integral thread.

For Vertex, please export and post config (usermanual p43) when you think you have stereo coming in from TV and that it should work but does not.
Is Denon output or any other audio system output connected to TV when you are trying ?

You are asking a good question here "how does it know it's supposed to pass the ARC audio out of the optical port instead of passing audio from one of the two HDMI inputs"
You never know, TV is leading it negotiates ARC (which seems not the case for you yet) and then it should release it, based on you changing from TV apps to HDMI input for ex.
Exported config while connected to the TV and Disney+ app running on TV. TV is set to only output PCM to external speakers (confirmed when testing ARC via Denon OSD instead of Vertex). When TV was turned on, it detected the Vertex and a message was displayed - "Using External Speakers" and the TV built-in speakers were disabled. I hear nothing when I connect analog headphones to the optical/analog output of Vertex. Disconnecting the Vertex and replacing with my Denon AVR, I hear stereo PCM fine using same cable and TV ARC input. Nothing else is connected to the TV or the Vertex when I run this simple test. Maybe my Vertex is defective? But I get the exact same behavior on my Integral so that seems unlikely. In addition to testing ARC with my Denon, I also briefly tested with some cheap Amazon ARC audio extractor and that also worked fine. I even tried several other HDMI cables but it made no difference.
Attached Files
File Type: txt vertex_arc.txt (6.9 KB, 5 views)
post #4639 of 4718 Old 11-18-2019, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Exported config while connected to the TV and Disney+ app running on TV. TV is set to only output PCM to external speakers (confirmed when testing ARC via Denon OSD instead of Vertex). When TV was turned on, it detected the Vertex and a message was displayed - "Using External Speakers" and the TV built-in speakers were disabled. I hear nothing when I connect analog headphones to the optical/analog output of Vertex. Disconnecting the Vertex and replacing with my Denon AVR, I hear stereo PCM fine using same cable and TV ARC input. Nothing else is connected to the TV or the Vertex when I run this simple test. Maybe my Vertex is defective? But I get the exact same behavior on my Integral so that seems unlikely. In addition to testing ARC with my Denon, I also briefly tested with some cheap Amazon ARC audio extractor and that also worked fine. I even tried several other HDMI cables but it made no difference.
Please try to connect a source to Vertex input (and let it ON) please confirm if you have same issue in this case.
Please also note, that ARC to analog cannot work, only ARC to optical. so testing stereo analog headphones is not relevant for ARC.
Stereo Analog that you can test with headphones is for source at input.

so please test ARC>Optical out in stereo or 5.1.

Last edited by HDfury; 11-18-2019 at 07:02 AM.
post #4640 of 4718 Old 11-18-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please try to connect a source to Vertex input (and let it ON) please confirm if you have same issue in this case.
Please also note, that ARC to analog cannot work, only ARC to optical. so testing stereo analog headphones is not relevant for ARC.
Stereo Analog that you can test with headphones is for source at input.

so please test ARC>Optical out in stereo or 5.1.
I originally started with optical to my receiver but when it wasn't working, I started testing with headphones. Didn't know they didn't work with ARC.

Using a PCM source on one of the Vertex HDMI inputs does properly pass analog audio to my headphones.

Connecting an optical cable between Vertex and receiver didn't work initially. I had to go into my TV settings and switch it from external to internal speakers. I think this disabled ARC on the Vertex and I could now hear the HDMI source coming out of Vertex over optical. This leads me to the point I made in my original post. There really needs to be a way to manually toggle the source of audio for the Vertex optical output instead of whatever automatic method is being used currently.

Back to the original problem of getting ARC working over the Vertex optical output. When I started an app on the TV, the optical out on the Vertex connected to my receiver now magically started working with PCM audio. It's almost like Vertex needed to be primed by first playing some PCM audio from one of the HDMI inputs first. Seems like a bug somewhere. I will do more testing to see if this was one time luck or if I can get ARC working consistently.

Edit: Does muting the bottom HDMI output (via the Vertex GUI app) have any effect on ARC? I need to use the muting feature because when this Sony TV receives an unsupported audio format (like DTS-HD) from one of the Vertex HDMI inputs, it will keep displaying an onscreen audio error message. The TV only likes PCM or Dolby Digital on it's HDMI inputs.

Last edited by Wizziwig; 11-18-2019 at 10:36 AM.
post #4641 of 4718 Old 11-18-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I originally started with optical to my receiver but when it wasn't working, I started testing with headphones. Didn't know they didn't work with ARC.

Using a PCM source on one of the Vertex HDMI inputs does properly pass analog audio to my headphones.

Connecting an optical cable between Vertex and receiver didn't work initially. I had to go into my TV settings and switch it from external to internal speakers. I think this disabled ARC on the Vertex and I could now hear the HDMI source coming out of Vertex over optical. This leads me to the point I made in my original post. There really needs to be a way to manually toggle the source of audio for the Vertex optical output instead of whatever automatic method is being used currently.

Back to the original problem of getting ARC working over the Vertex optical output. When I started an app on the TV, the optical out on the Vertex connected to my receiver now magically started working with PCM audio. It's almost like Vertex needed to be primed by first playing some PCM audio from one of the HDMI inputs first. Seems like a bug somewhere. I will do more testing to see if this was one time luck or if I can get ARC working consistently.

Edit: Does muting the bottom HDMI output (via the Vertex GUI app) have any effect on ARC? I need to use the muting feature because when this Sony TV receives an unsupported audio format (like DTS-HD) from one of the Vertex HDMI inputs, it will keep displaying an onscreen audio error message. The TV only likes PCM or Dolby Digital on it's HDMI inputs.

No, Audio muting should not change anything here as long as you do not ARC the same audio signal back from the TV, but even there, TV is supposed to resend audio infoframe itself so should be fine.
I think the point here is that you might require a source at input for ARC to work properly. But it's possible its only in last firmware, it might be worth trying older version to compare. We will check in lab as well when current tasks are cleared.

post #4642 of 4718 Old 11-18-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, Audio muting should not change anything here as long as you do not ARC the same audio signal back from the TV, but even there, TV is supposed to resend audio infoframe itself so should be fine.
I think the point here is that you might require a source at input for ARC to work properly. But it's possible its only in last firmware, it might be worth trying older version to compare. We will check in lab as well when current tasks are cleared.
Is it possible that the video signal going out from vertex into the TV could conflict with ARC coming back on the same cable? Maybe something like outgoing pixel clock not matching the incoming clock of the ARC audio? Just trying to guess why ARC suddenly started working after I played something through one of the Vertex inputs. All my previous tests were with nothing connected to the Vertex except optical cable to receiver and HDMI cable from bottom output to the TV ARC HDMI input. Seems like there was some missing initialization. I will post an update after I run more tests tonight. Thanks for the help.
post #4643 of 4718 Old 11-18-2019, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like my brief success with ARC was very short lived. Last time I used the TV this morning, ARC was working from TV apps. I then turned TV off and went to work. When I came back this evening and turned TV back on, I heard a brief 2 seconds of audio from the TV app that I previously left running and then audio stopped and I was back to non-functioning ARC. Switching TV away from apps to the ARC HDMI input where Vertex was plugged in, I saw that the Oppo 203 I had connected to the bottom Vertex HDMI input now also no longer produced any audio through the Vertex optical out. So now neither ARC or HDMI input was producing audio from the Vertex optical port. Toggling TV between internal and external speakers didn't help. Pressing input button on Vertex also didn't help. It's basically stuck in non-working optical again like it was in all my prior experiments. This is really frustrating because the cheap HDMI audio extractor I got on Amazon for testing works every time. So does my Denon receiver. I was really hoping to get some extra use out of this old Vertex or Integral but it looks like they just won't work with either of our TVs for ARC.

Edit: For what it's worth, analog headphones continue to work when playing a PCM source into the Vertex HDMI inputs. Nothing when connected to optical on receiver.

Last edited by Wizziwig; 11-19-2019 at 03:41 AM.
post #4644 of 4718 Old 11-19-2019, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, I found a procedure that works but it's not really practical for family use.

0) With optical audio from Vertex not working for either ARC or HDMI inputs (but working for analog headphones).
1) Switch to any HDMI input on Sony TV (even ones without anything connected work fine).
2) While on the HDMI input, use Sony TV menus to switch speaker selection from external to internal.
3) After TV switches to internal speakers, switch TV to one of the built-in streaming apps.
4) A few seconds after you start the streaming app, TV will display message about automatically switching to external speakers and you now get working optical ARC audio from the Vertex.

If you guys have any recent Sony TVs in the lab (Android 8.0), please try to verify if you get similar problems. When I tested our Samsung TV, I didn't know that analog headphones don't work with ARC so will need to retest that TV with optical.

Last edited by Wizziwig; 11-19-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #4645 of 4718 Old 11-19-2019, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Disney+ Error 39

Anyone here tried Disney+ with their Vertex and are able to get 4K/HDR without Error 39?

I'm using an ambient lighting setup like so: [NVIDIA Sheild/XBOX ONE X]->DENON AVR->VERTEX->[TX0 Panasonic OLED/TX1 HDMI2/AV Converter]

I usually have everything set to AutoMix but I've tried various other combinations of EDID/Scaler settings without any luck. The only way I can get past Disney's copy protection is to unplug the HDMI2/AV box.
post #4646 of 4718 Old 11-19-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, I found a procedure that works but it's not really practical for family use.

0) With optical audio from Vertex not working for either ARC or HDMI inputs (but working for analog headphones).
1) Switch to ARC HDMI input on Sony TV. This is connected to Vertex. Vertex input connected to Oppo 203.
2) Play a PCM source on the Oppo. At this point you will still get silence on Vertex optical output.
3) Using Sony TV menus, switch speaker selection from external to internal. You will now hear audio from TV speakers.
4) Switch TV to one of the built-in streaming apps. TV will automatically switch to external speakers and you now get working optical audio from the Vertex.

If you guys have any recent Sony TVs in the lab (Android 8.0), please try to verify if you get similar problems. When I tested our Samsung TV, I didn't know that analog headphones don't work with ARC so will need to retest that TV with optical.

Yes we already wrote about sony TV problems regarding ARC / eARC and some audio format and tricks to do to get it working, below some of our findings. (the last issue I think was fixed by their last FW update now)

That is important to know for sony TV (tested with KD-55XG9505 and X950G but should affect nearly all Sony tv):
If we have DD+ selected in ARC mode, we can play netflix and the stream is DD. When we switch to other input on TV (we have shield connected playing youtube) the ARC remains correctly but audio is mute from youtube.
However, when we click remote controller we can hear the "clicks" correctly so the audio system is actually working but TV ignores the music stream. This does not happen if we have DD selected from TV global settings. This is a TV issue.
Another TV issue we noticed is if we use the hotkey NETFLIX on remote that goes directly to netflix we lose sound. However, if we go there using the home button and then select netflix we don't lose audio..
We have confirmed in PCM mode TV always sends out multichannel LPCM 8 channel information with stereo speaker allocation info (incorrect data). This means only stereo works and no multichannel LPCM actually comes out of TV.
Similar issue than with LG C9.

post #4647 of 4718 Old 11-19-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrad Piper View Post
Anyone here tried Disney+ with their Vertex and are able to get 4K/HDR without Error 39?

I'm using an ambient lighting setup like so: [NVIDIA Sheild/XBOX ONE X]->DENON AVR->VERTEX->[TX0 Panasonic OLED/TX1 HDMI2/AV Converter]

I usually have everything set to AutoMix but I've tried various other combinations of EDID/Scaler settings without any luck. The only way I can get past Disney's copy protection is to unplug the HDMI2/AV box.

I doubt this have anything to do with our device (as long as you are properly using them and that it is unlocked, see usermanual p13) or any copy protection, it's just Disney initial issues, all apps have all kind of trouble especially when many app were just released across various platform.
However, I'm still interested in seeing a config export (usermanual p43) if you cannot get this working.

Looking online for error 39, people are getting it in various type of setup.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/disney-app-error-code-39/5d17c80b-4db1-4436-9101-1c122a68e426
they provide a solution in this page / last post.

hank you everyone who replied and suggested help. I finally got an answer from Disney+ Tech support and their answer is as follows:

1) Delete the app
2) Hard Power Cycle your system
3) Re-download the App
4) After logging into the App first launch Disney+ original shows (if no errors load other shows)

After all this all shows have started to work with no errors to report.

post #4648 of 4718 Old 11-19-2019, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I doubt this have anything to do with our device (as long as you are properly using them and that it is unlocked, see usermanual p13) or any copy protection, it's just Disney initial issues, all apps have all kind of trouble especially when many app were just released across various platform.
However, I'm still interested in seeing a config export (usermanual p43) if you cannot get this working.

hank you everyone who replied and suggested help. I finally got an answer from Disney+ Tech support and their answer is as follows:

1) Delete the app
2) Hard Power Cycle your system
3) Re-download the App
4) After logging into the App first launch Disney+ original shows (if no errors load other shows)

After all this all shows have started to work with no errors to report.
Thanks,

I'll have a bit more of a play tonight and do a config export. The Disney+ Tech support answer is actually the first thing I have tried before moving onto the Vertex as the culprit.

I have a sneaking suspicion the app is detecting the in-line HDMIAV device when doing the handshake. On Disney's own help page it mentions "Use of an in-line video or game recorder may prevent playback or limit the video and audio quality in order to protect from piracy." I've tried regular non-4K content in the XBOX/Android App and they work fine. It's just 4K/HDR content that has the issue. Again as soon as I unplug the HDMIAV adaptor from the vertex it works and I can play back 4k/HDR.
post #4649 of 4718 Old 11-19-2019, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrad Piper View Post
Thanks,

I'll have a bit more of a play tonight and do a config export. The Disney+ Tech support answer is actually the first thing I have tried before moving onto the Vertex as the culprit.

I have a sneaking suspicion the app is detecting the in-line HDMIAV device when doing the handshake. On Disney's own help page it mentions "Use of an in-line video or game recorder may prevent playback or limit the video and audio quality in order to protect from piracy." I've tried regular non-4K content in the XBOX/Android App and they work fine. It's just 4K/HDR content that has the issue. Again as soon as I unplug the HDMIAV adaptor from the vertex it works and I can play back 4k/HDR.
That would be stupid from them and totally deserve the purpose.... mmm.. now it becomes credible

See your PM.

post #4650 of 4718 Old 11-19-2019, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes we already wrote about sony TV problems regarding ARC / eARC and some audio format and tricks to do to get it working, below some of our findings. (the last issue I think was fixed by their last FW update now)

That is important to know for sony TV (tested with KD-55XG9505 and X950G but should affect nearly all Sony tv):
If we have DD+ selected in ARC mode, we can play netflix and the stream is DD. When we switch to other input on TV (we have shield connected playing youtube) the ARC remains correctly but audio is mute from youtube.
However, when we click remote controller we can hear the "clicks" correctly so the audio system is actually working but TV ignores the music stream. This does not happen if we have DD selected from TV global settings. This is a TV issue.
Another TV issue we noticed is if we use the hotkey NETFLIX on remote that goes directly to netflix we lose sound. However, if we go there using the home button and then select netflix we don't lose audio..
We have confirmed in PCM mode TV always sends out multichannel LPCM 8 channel information with stereo speaker allocation info (incorrect data). This means only stereo works and no multichannel LPCM actually comes out of TV.
Similar issue than with LG C9.
I updated the steps to get Vertex ARC working in my post above. Was able to simplify it slightly but it's still a pain. I suspect this procedure is required to reset or re-establish handshake with the Vertex every time the TV is powered on.

You can choose to blame the TV manufacturer if you like but the fact is that ARC is working fine on this Sony TV with both my Denon Receiver and cheap ViewHD ARC audio extractor I picked up on Amazon. Neither of those devices requires me to touch anything on the TV. I just turn on the TV, start the streaming app, and I have working ARC audio every single time. Only the Vertex requires I jump through hoops to get it working every time I turn on the TV. That tells me you have some compatibility or handshaking issue that could be improved with both Vertex and Integral. If you would like to continue working on this for a future Vertex firmware update, please send me a PM and we can go from there. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Tags
avr-sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page