HDFURY Linker owners thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101Likes

post #361 of 1237 Old 11-18-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 549 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4170 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecoscia View Post
Gotcha, then basically I should never use an HDMI cable shorter than 6ft for optimal signal quality. I have a lot of 1ft and 3ft cables connecting components to my receiver. Guess I should be looking to replace them. That's a lot of extra wire to hide...lol.
Recommendation is only for 600MHz, anything lower is fine at mostly any length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
If you're downscaling signal, wouldn't it be better to have the long cable on the output side instead of on the input side?
Yes true, Usually AVR can drive longer distance so i made the choice to still use it to drive the long distance in my recommendation, but i agree it's a setup where both options could work equally well, user will have to find out by testing which seems most reliable.

Use Automix/SINK mode for DV support on AVR-Key/Integral. Linker does NOT support all DV.
Want to get DD+ and ATMOS sound from TV streaming Apps back to an AVR via HDMI since it fails via ARC or S/PDIF?
Show interest by posting your TV and AVR brand/model. We might select you in the future for some beta test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1237 Old 11-19-2017, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 124
If I may ask here.I recently just heard about the hdfury(been gone awhile). I have a pioneer 500m 1080p plasma.Also just got a Marantz sr7012 aswell as an oppo 203.Getting an appletv4k in the future.Would the hdfury benefit me and if so which one?.I'm under the impression that with the fury i'll be able to get 4k from either Netflix,blueray etc onto my display even though its 1080p.I run everything thru my avr out to the display.So I'm assuming it would get connected between the avr and display.Just trying to figure this out so any insight would be appreciated..thanks
post #363 of 1237 Old 11-19-2017, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
If I may ask here.I recently just heard about the hdfury(been gone awhile). I have a pioneer 500m 1080p plasma.Also just got a Marantz sr7012 aswell as an oppo 203.Getting an appletv4k in the future.Would the hdfury benefit me and if so which one?.I'm under the impression that with the fury i'll be able to get 4k from either Netflix,blueray etc onto my display even though its 1080p.I run everything thru my avr out to the display.So I'm assuming it would get connected between the avr and display.Just trying to figure this out so any insight would be appreciated..thanks
You would be able to view 4k content but it would be downscaled to 1080p. Definitely not a bad thing as you will still see an excellent picture improvement. Between the AVR and TV is how I have my Linker setup. It makes it easier than using a switch in between inputs. The Linker would also eliminate any HDCP issues and compatibility between any devices. AppleTV requires and HDCP 2.2 connection to display 4k content so the Linker would take care of that for you as well.
HDfury likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 1237 Old 11-19-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. Now I hear that that there are different ones? integral and just heard mentioned vertex? any specific info on them as to which would be best for my application. Don't know if one is better than the other so to speak.thx
post #365 of 1237 Old 11-19-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked: 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
I don't think there would be much of a benefit in getting a Linker or Vertex to convert 4K to 1080p to feed your Kuro.

- Your Kuro does not support wide color gamut.
- Your Kuro does not support HDR.

Those are the main benefits that UHD brings besides the 4K resolution.

If you fed a Linker/Vertex a 4K HDR signal, you would get a 1080p REC709 to your TV with the HDR still present. The Linker/Vertex cannot convert HDR to SDR. Your TV would not be able to properly display the HDR color. The color would look washed out.

If you fed a Linker/Vertex a 4K non-HDR signal, the Linker/Vertex can scale down to 1080p REC709 but any of your 4K players can also do the same without a Linker/Vertex.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 11-19-2017 at 10:54 AM.
post #366 of 1237 Old 11-19-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

thanks that sums it up then.
post #367 of 1237 Old 11-19-2017, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Linker + Xbox One X for Dolby Atmos

We tested Xbox One X with Linker for Atmos, no problem as long as all audio EDID is selected and Dolby access app is active

You need FW 0.24, 24.3 or 25 for that.

Use Automix/SINK mode for DV support on AVR-Key/Integral. Linker does NOT support all DV.
Want to get DD+ and ATMOS sound from TV streaming Apps back to an AVR via HDMI since it fails via ARC or S/PDIF?
Show interest by posting your TV and AVR brand/model. We might select you in the future for some beta test.

Last edited by HDfury; 11-20-2017 at 06:48 AM.
post #368 of 1237 Old 11-20-2017, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoom2k View Post
Thanks for posting the link to FW25. Just installed the update on my HDFury Linker for my Ambilight (Lightberry), Denon, PS4 Pro, ATV 4k combo, and it now correctly picks up signals across all input devices, regardless of HDR, SDR and resolution.
@HDfury - In regards to my update to FW25, I have been testing the firmware since my last post in October now, and 90% of the time, everything works like a charm. However, c.10% of the time, switching back between PS4 Pro and ATV4k through the Denon Receiver creates a flickering image with white dots. Then, the color reproduction of my Lightberry turns to complete green or generally, the black colour will be reproduced as solid green colour. Any advise on this? I believe you have mentioned some Lightberry specific settings here in the past, but I cant seem to find them.

Happy to share my screenshots here if of interest - cables should be all adequate (6ft Amazon rev 2). Any chance there might be a new FW in the works? They seem to get better each time!
post #369 of 1237 Old 11-20-2017, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoom2k View Post
@HDfury - In regards to my update to FW25, I have been testing the firmware since my last post in October now, and 90% of the time, everything works like a charm. However, c.10% of the time, switching back between PS4 Pro and ATV4k through the Denon Receiver creates a flickering image with white dots. Then, the color reproduction of my Lightberry turns to complete green or generally, the black colour will be reproduced as solid green colour. Any advise on this? I believe you have mentioned some Lightberry specific settings here in the past, but I cant seem to find them.

Happy to share my screenshots here if of interest - cables should be all adequate (6ft Amazon rev 2). Any chance there might be a new FW in the works? They seem to get better each time!
When you say you have flickering image with white dots, you mean from your AVR to your display ? Because as i understand it, Linker is only downscaling for your ambient light and the issue is on main screen ? or i missed something ?

PS: good cables at good price can be found from Bluejeancables or you can use ours, because amazon cable are not known to be reliable. Anyway, prolly not in cause in here.

post #370 of 1237 Old 11-20-2017, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
GoBlue package came today:-) Thank?s a looooot!!! Works like a charm. I have a question regarding the app on my Iphone. Where can I see the fw for the GoBlue? In the app I can see the fw for the Linker but not for the GB. I havn?t upgraded my GB since I thougt that the fw maybe the latest one when you shipped it or should I upgrade it from your site? The fw I have on the Linker is 25 and it?s STABLE!!!
post #371 of 1237 Old 11-20-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanSWE View Post
GoBlue package came today:-) Thank?s a looooot!!! Works like a charm. I have a question regarding the app on my Iphone. Where can I see the fw for the GoBlue? In the app I can see the fw for the Linker but not for the GB. I havn?t upgraded my GB since I thougt that the fw maybe the latest one when you shipped it or should I upgrade it from your site? The fw I have on the Linker is 25 and it?s STABLE!!!
There will be APP udpate that will show GoBlue FW, but you already have the latest one on it.

GoBlue FW1.0 > Integral only
GoBlue FW1.1 > Integral and Linker
GoBlue FW1.2 > Integral, Linker, AVR-Key, Vertex

You have 1.2 installed.

post #372 of 1237 Old 11-20-2017, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You cannot upgrade linker Firmware using GeoBlue, correct?

* I'm just a guy who made something out of nothing *
[URL="https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2563857-official-epson-5040ub-6040ub-owners-thread-390.html#post55153048[/URL]
post #373 of 1237 Old 11-20-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase1981 View Post
You cannot upgrade linker Firmware using GeoBlue, correct?
No you cannot, for the moment Windows computer is mandatory to update any of our devices.
We are working on a solution to make this happens via Internet in the future. (GoWifi)

post #374 of 1237 Old 11-20-2017, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
No you cannot, for the moment Windows computer is mandatory to update any of our devices.
We are working on a solution to make this happens via Internet in the future. (GoWifi)
Thank you.
Also, another question if i may please.
i have my linker between my yamaha RX-A2060 out via a 3ft mediabridge ultra HDMI cable --> linker --> mediabridge 25ft HDMI --> Epson 6040ub
currently on Firmware 19a, everything working flawless.
Are there any benefits to upgrade to firmware 25 (i think thats the latest? ) what is the changelog, many people reverted back to 19a stating 22 is not a good firmware.
can you please comment?
post #375 of 1237 Old 11-20-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase1981 View Post
Thank you.
Also, another question if i may please.
i have my linker between my yamaha RX-A2060 out via a 3ft mediabridge ultra HDMI cable --> linker --> mediabridge 25ft HDMI --> Epson 6040ub
currently on Firmware 19a, everything working flawless.
Are there any benefits to upgrade to firmware 25 (i think thats the latest? ) what is the changelog, many people reverted back to 19a stating 22 is not a good firmware.
can you please comment?
yes FW0.22 wasn't good for many. We found out why LONG time ago and fixed it.

The 2 best Firmware are FW0.23 and FW0.25

FW0.25 sync a bit faster and is mandatory for X800, you should try both and see which one you prefer.

Anyway, if you feel really perfect with no room for improvement with 0.19a, then stick with it.

Changelog is available in the ReadMe file that comes with the downloaded firmware package

post #376 of 1237 Old 11-20-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 490
I bought a used Linker and am now trying to replace my integral with it. I took out the integral and put in the linker, but it doesn't seem to power up? The logo doesn't light up and when I try to connect it to PC via USB the GUI tells me no device is connected? Did I get a dead unit or am I just missing something?

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #377 of 1237 Old 11-21-2017, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
I bought a used Linker and am now trying to replace my integral with it. I took out the integral and put in the linker, but it doesn't seem to power up? The logo doesn't light up and when I try to connect it to PC via USB the GUI tells me no device is connected? Did I get a dead unit or am I just missing something?
You cannot use GUI if the unit doesn't have the right firmware for the GUI you are trying, so you first need to update the unit then you can see if GUI can detect it or not.

post #378 of 1237 Old 11-21-2017, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I posted this in the LS10500 but received no reply and thought I would post it here.

Can someone help me understand something regarding HDR, Bandwidth and banding.

I understand that this projector (Epson LS10500, which I own) does not support 4K/60 10 Bit due to a bandwidth limitation. This is further highlighted when I connect an XBox One X which reports that I can play games at 4K but cannot use HDR.

If I connect the XBox one X through the HDMI in of my Oppo 203 or use an HDFury Linker the XBox then believes that my display does support 4k/60 HDR and sends and HDR signal to my projector. The projector INFO screen reports an 8 Bit BT2020 HDR signal and I can see an appreciable difference in the picture.

From here I am a bit fuzzy on what is going on. As someone pointed out since the HDR signal is 8 Bit I might see some banding and in certain parts of games while looking at the sun for example I clearly see this banding.

Questions I have are:

1. Where is the signal getting converted to 8 Bit? In the XBox, the Linker/Oppo, or the projector? I assumed the projector but Epson tells me it will not support an HDR signal in 8 Bit.

2. From what I understand about HDR it provides black levels below standard SDR black and White levels above SDR. What exactly is happening with those levels when converted to 8 Bit in my case. Converted? Clipped?

3. I would like to think 90% of the gameplay looks better except when I encounter the banding but am I just imagining this? Am I getting any enhancements in the color range or is the conversion doing more damage than good?

4. What causes the banding specifically? Does it take like 10 values and convert it to say 5?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.
post #379 of 1237 Old 11-21-2017, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Correct me if I?m wrong but if you press set/reset for more than 8 sec the unit should reset itself to factory reset where the light should be ON when/if it resets/starts again!
post #380 of 1237 Old 11-21-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post

1. Where is the signal getting converted to 8 Bit? In the XBox, the Linker/Oppo, or the projector? I assumed the projector but Epson tells me it will not support an HDR signal in 8 Bit.
For this to work, most likely you have set up the Linker to downscale to 8-bit 300MHz, in which case it would be the Linker that converts the signal to 8 bit.

Quote:
2. From what I understand about HDR it provides black levels below standard SDR black and White levels above SDR. What exactly is happening with those levels when converted to 8 Bit in my case. Converted? Clipped?
8-bit, 10-bit or 12-bit all have the same black level and peak white level. The higher bit-depth simply means that the range (between black and peak white) is divided into smaller divisions.

Quote:
4. What causes the banding specifically? Does it take like 10 values and convert it to say 5?
8 bits can define 256 levels, 10 bits 1024 levels. With HDR, 256 levels is not sufficient to produce a smooth gradation between adjacent levels, hence visible banding.
post #381 of 1237 Old 11-21-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You cannot use GUI if the unit doesn't have the right firmware for the GUI you are trying, so you first need to update the unit then you can see if GUI can detect it or not.
Thanks, that fixed it. I am still in process of inserting in my system and testing...so far the linker downsamples my 4K video to 1080p/60 from Pannasonic UB900 > AVR > Linker > JVC RS400. I have checked the disable HDR and set to Custom EDID #2 and also tried Sink, but it continues to downsample. When I remove Linker and go from AVR to projector I get 4K/24 with HDR of course and no DI. I just want to get my DI working with HDR, I am sure I am just missing a setting. I am going to reset Linker and just check disable HDR and custom #2 to see if that gives me the results I want.

HTPCat
post #382 of 1237 Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Yes sure, i was just giving you an advise so you can play a bit while we get our X1X and reproduce the issue to fix it.
Hi,

I still have that issue when the linker is between XB1X and the Denon. Did you guys get your XB1X to troubleshoot?

Setup: EPSON 5040UBE, DENON 4200W, Philips BDP7501, ATMOS 5.1.4, PS4Pro
post #383 of 1237 Old 11-21-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanSWE View Post
Correct me if I?m wrong but if you press set/reset for more than 8 sec the unit should reset itself to factory reset where the light should be ON when/if it resets/starts again!
You only have green light logo if there is an active signal received and processed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Thanks, that fixed it. I am still in process of inserting in my system and testing...so far the linker downsamples my 4K video to 1080p/60 from Pannasonic UB900 > AVR > Linker > JVC RS400. I have checked the disable HDR and set to Custom EDID #2 and also tried Sink, but it continues to downsample. When I remove Linker and go from AVR to projector I get 4K/24 with HDR of course and no DI. I just want to get my DI working with HDR, I am sure I am just missing a setting. I am going to reset Linker and just check disable HDR and custom #2 to see if that gives me the results I want.
Set the unit as THRU, if you don't want it to downscale or upscale.
if problem, post GUI screenshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper80 View Post
Hi,

I still have that issue when the linker is between XB1X and the Denon. Did you guys get your XB1X to troubleshoot?
Yes, we have X1X, what is your issue ?

post #384 of 1237 Old 11-21-2017, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
You only have green light logo if there is an active signal received and processed.

Yes, we have X1X, what is your issue ?
I posted a few days back, the issue is that I am loosing ATMOS when i place the linker between X1X and Denon AV. EDID mode is 2. My settings are in my last post including firmware version etc.

Setup: EPSON 5040UBE, DENON 4200W, Philips BDP7501, ATMOS 5.1.4, PS4Pro
post #385 of 1237 Old 11-21-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, I am sure that was the issue as the slider was set to downscale - just set it to THRU will insert back into system in a moment and report back.

HTPCat
post #386 of 1237 Old 11-21-2017, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper80 View Post
I posted a few days back, the issue is that I am loosing ATMOS when i place the linker between X1X and Denon AV. EDID mode is 2. My settings are in my last post including firmware version etc.
Please post a link to the post where your settings and firmware version are posted, your "last post" is 2 posts above and it's not in it and that current page doesn't hold any others post from you.

post #387 of 1237 Old 11-21-2017, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
I posted this in the LS10500 but received no reply and thought I would post it here.

Can someone help me understand something regarding HDR, Bandwidth and banding.

I understand that this projector (Epson LS10500, which I own) does not support 4K/60 10 Bit due to a bandwidth limitation. This is further highlighted when I connect an XBox One X which reports that I can play games at 4K but cannot use HDR.

If I connect the XBox one X through the HDMI in of my Oppo 203 or use an HDFury Linker the XBox then believes that my display does support 4k/60 HDR and sends and HDR signal to my projector. The projector INFO screen reports an 8 Bit BT2020 HDR signal and I can see an appreciable difference in the picture.

From here I am a bit fuzzy on what is going on. As someone pointed out since the HDR signal is 8 Bit I might see some banding and in certain parts of games while looking at the sun for example I clearly see this banding.

Questions I have are:

Do you have the Linker configured to a Custom EDID? If so, which one?

Do you have any scaling turned on in the Linker?

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 11-21-2017 at 08:50 PM.
post #388 of 1237 Old 11-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I just want to say thanks for the Vertex and its ability to tweak JVC allowing me to use the dynamic iris and maintain my selected custom gamma! However, I can't get the cool macros to function properly. They don't seem to work at all. Any advice?

Thanks!
Cory
Audio: Ascend Acoutics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC RS400, LG OLED B6, 92" DE Abyss screen, HTPC/RTX 2080/i7 8700k 4.8GHz/madVR, Panasonic DMP-UB900
post #389 of 1237 Old 11-22-2017, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryW View Post
I just want to say thanks for the Vertex and its ability to tweak JVC allowing me to use the dynamic iris and maintain my selected custom gamma! However, I can't get the cool macros to function properly. They don't seem to work at all. Any advice?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post55097696

Also, check the Vertex baud rate setting in the RS-232 tab. The macros suddenly stopped working for me and when I checked the baud rate, it had changed to 9600. Reset it to 19200.

The Vertex owners thread is here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vid...rs-thread.html
CoryW likes this.

CJ

Last edited by claw; 11-22-2017 at 06:01 AM.
post #390 of 1237 Old 11-22-2017, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post55097696

Also, check the Vertex baud rate setting in the RS-232 tab. The macros suddenly stopped working for me and when I checked the baud rate, it had changed to 9600. Reset it to 19200.

The Vertex owners thread is here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vid...rs-thread.html
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks!
Cory
Audio: Ascend Acoutics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC RS400, LG OLED B6, 92" DE Abyss screen, HTPC/RTX 2080/i7 8700k 4.8GHz/madVR, Panasonic DMP-UB900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page