HDFURY Linker owners thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

post #481 of 1398 Old 12-15-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 640 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd1970 View Post
@HDfury Can the linker downscale from [email protected] to [email protected]?
No, that's not called DOWNSCALE, DOWNSCALE is UHD > FHD or 4K > 1080p for ex.
What you mean here, is called FRAME RATE CONVERSION.

Linker or Vertex do NOT offer Frame rate conversion.
The only device in the world doing frame rate conversion at 18Gbps is Lumagen Radiance Pro, cost multi thousands dollars.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1398 Old 12-16-2017, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Having some issues with my linker. Every time I switch inputs, I lose picture. For example, if I am playing Xbox, then switch to PS4 or cable, I get no input. I have to physically unplug the linker and plug it back in to get everything working again. This morning, I tried using my Roku Ultra, and I couldn't get the linker working at all. Kept saying no input, at the same time my Denon receiver kept flashing between surround modes like it was having trouble figuring it out what to pick. As soon as I removed the linker, everything worked fine. Any suggestions? I have the linker connected as follows...

Denon x6300h Reciever->25' HDMI Premium cable->HDMI wall outlet->3' HDMI Premium Cable->Linker->6' HDMI Preimum Cable->Epson 5040ub Projector
post #483 of 1398 Old 12-16-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecoscia View Post
Having some issues with my linker. Every time I switch inputs, I lose picture. For example, if I am playing Xbox, then switch to PS4 or cable, I get no input. I have to physically unplug the linker and plug it back in to get everything working again. This morning, I tried using my Roku Ultra, and I couldn't get the linker working at all. Kept saying no input, at the same time my Denon receiver kept flashing between surround modes like it was having trouble figuring it out what to pick. As soon as I removed the linker, everything worked fine. Any suggestions? I have the linker connected as follows...

Denon x6300h Reciever->25' HDMI Premium cable->HDMI wall outlet->3' HDMI Premium Cable->Linker->6' HDMI Preimum Cable->Epson 5040ub Projector

Take your source close to your PJ and try SOURCE > LINKER > PJ,

Bypass your HDMI wall outlet and see if you have issue.

Confirm Linker FW version.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 1398 Old 12-17-2017, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Take your source close to your PJ and try SOURCE > LINKER > PJ,

Bypass your HDMI wall outlet and see if you have issue.

Confirm Linker FW version.
Unfortunately, I can not move the equipment closer, it is in an AV rack in a different room. However, I can move the linker to the AV rack so it's closer to the sources. I can also remove the 6' cable between the linker and the PJ and replace it with a 1' cable. The HDMI wall outlet is simply a coupler in a wall plate, so I do not have a wire coming out of a hole in the wall. It is a neater install. I can't imagine that is the problem. But I will try it.
post #485 of 1398 Old 12-17-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can not move the equipment closer, it is in an AV rack in a different room. However, I can move the linker to the AV rack so it's closer to the sources. I can also remove the 6' cable between the linker and the PJ and replace it with a 1' cable. The HDMI wall outlet is simply a coupler in a wall plate, so I do not have a wire coming out of a hole in the wall. It is a neater install. I can't imagine that is the problem. But I will try it.
Sorry not sure i get it.

You have access to Linker yes ?
So you just take one source and you connect it with 6ft to LINKER so you have SOURCE > 6ft > LINKER > 6ft PJ and you confirm if you have same issue or not.

post #486 of 1398 Old 12-17-2017, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
A Better Understanding...

Hello,

I guess I need some help understanding if this device is what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in dropping thousands on Lumagon but am interested in having better controller the signal to my Projector.

My Setup:
Source: AppleTV 4k
Source: Sony X800-UHD Bluray

Source -> Integra DRC-R1 -> Sony VPL-VW285ES

When I use my AppleTV 4k to watch a 4K HDR (Dolby Vision) Movie, My Integra reports the Input as
HDMI 2
4K(3840x2160) 23Hz
YCbCr422 24bit

When I use the Sony x800 the Integra reports:
HDMI 1
4K(3840x2160) 23Hz
YCbCr444 36bit

My Sony shows BT2020 color space and HDR10 for both Sources.

I have the latest AppleTV firmware and I am having the AppleTV auto switch for HDR/SDR and refresh rate. I know I am sending HDR signal (Projector see the HDR10) and the Refresh is switch down to 23Hz appropriately. However the Color Bit Depth is all wrong...

What I am looking for is a device where I can guarantee the signal going to the Sony Projector is always optimized for the correct resolution, Color Space and Bitdepth.

Is that the Linker or Fury
post #487 of 1398 Old 12-18-2017, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottv919 View Post
Hello,

I guess I need some help understanding if this device is what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in dropping thousands on Lumagon but am interested in having better controller the signal to my Projector.

My Setup:

When I use my AppleTV 4k to watch a 4K HDR (Dolby Vision) Movie, My Integra reports the Input as
HDMI 2
4K(3840x2160) 23Hz
YCbCr422 24bit

HDMI 1
4K(3840x2160) 23Hz
YCbCr444 36bit

I have the latest AppleTV firmware and I am having the AppleTV auto switch for HDR/SDR and refresh rate. I know I am sending HDR signal (Projector see the HDR10) and the Refresh is switch down to 23Hz appropriately. However the Color Bit Depth is all wrong...

What I am looking for is a device where I can guarantee the signal going to the Sony Projector is always optimized for the correct resolution, Color Space and Bitdepth.

Lot of misunderstanding here.

Try to catch up with this:

DV always travel in RGB 8b container, either at 300 or at 600MHz. (so the right DV signal is 4K30 4:4:4 8b container with a 4K24 4:2:2 12b signal inside or 4K60 4:4:4 8b container with a 4K60 4:2:2 12b signal in it)

If the AVR is not DV compatible, what you are trying to do here, cannot work.

First: is the Sony VPL-VW285ES compatible with Dolby Vision ? please post link to it's usermanual in pdf if you are not sure.

In your situation, i would recommend Vertex (if the goal is to have DV pass-through a non DV capable equipment)

post #488 of 1398 Old 12-18-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Lot of misunderstanding here.

Try to catch up with this:

DV always travel in RGB 8b container, either at 300 or at 600MHz. (so the right DV signal is 4K30 4:4:4 8b container with a 4K24 4:2:2 12b signal inside or 4K60 4:4:4 8b container with a 4K60 4:2:2 12b signal in it)

If the AVR is not DV compatible, what you are trying to do here, cannot work.

First: is the Sony VPL-VW285ES compatible with Dolby Vision ? please post link to it's usermanual in pdf if you are not sure.

In your situation, i would recommend Vertex (if the goal is to have DV pass-through a non DV capable equipment)
The Sony (Like almost all Home Theater Projectors) is not Dolby Vision compatible.

Thank you for pointing out that there is a difference in the headers of the signal and the signal itself. (What is being referred to as the container)

I'm not trying to carry Dolby Vision here, (The x800 isn't Dolby Vision capable and server will be nor is the Integra (but it will be soon with a firmware update). What I would expect to be able to achieve is a signal that is 4k 24Hz, 4:4:4: 30bit. This, as best as I know would give me a 10 Bit non compressed image at 4K resolution and the correct (native) refresh.

P.S. I bought a Vertex (per your suggestion) and look forward to learning. I know I have a ton more to learn about this stuff...

Scott

Last edited by Scottv919; 12-18-2017 at 07:43 AM.
post #489 of 1398 Old 12-18-2017, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry not sure i get it.

You have access to Linker yes ?
So you just take one source and you connect it with 6ft to LINKER so you have SOURCE > 6ft > LINKER > 6ft PJ and you confirm if you have same issue or not.
Sorry, what I meant is that I can not remove the 25' cable from the chain. I did remove the 6ft cable and replaced it with a 1ft cable, it looks like this now...

Source->Reciever->25' HDMI->HDMI coupler->3' HDMI->Linker->1' HDMI->PJ

In this configuration the Roku does work, but I get a random bar of static flash along the bottom of the screen every 20-30 seconds. I didn't get a chance to see if switching inputs still requires me rebooting the linker. I can also remove the 3' HDMI cable and replace it with another 1' HDMI cable, but the 25' has to stay.

Would it be better if I move the Linker's location in the chain? For example...

Source->Reciver->1' HDMI->Linker->25' HDMI->HDMI Coupler->3' HDMI->PJ
post #490 of 1398 Old 12-18-2017, 09:06 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
The HDMI wall outlet is simply a coupler in a wall plate, so I do not have a wire coming out of a hole in the wall. It is a neater install. I can't imagine that is the problem. But I will try it.
Trying things without the coupler is definitely something you should try. ANY time you introduce another device / coupler / cable into the mix, you greatly increase the odds of running into problems. If the coupler isn't Premium Certified (I'm not aware of any that are...), then it's doubly suspicious...
HDfury likes this.
post #491 of 1398 Old 12-18-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 866
I have a new to me Linker that I am trying to integrate to use the DI with a JVC rs600 coming (Linker came from a JVC owner).

Per Manni's instructions I have it last in the chain and all HDMI cables are the approved Monoprice ones. I run a 20' Monoprice hdmi HDR cable from hdcp 2.2 AVR, Linker, then 3' cable of the same brand. Panny UB900 player.

Linker is set to Edid 8. Thru, HDCP 1.4

Without the Linker the Panny Video status screen shows
3840x2160/24p HDR/BT.2020 YCBCr4:2:0/10bit
4K/24p HDR/BT.2020YCbCr4:2:2/12bit

With the Linker the top line is the same but next line changes to
1080/24p SDR/BT.709 YCbr4:4:4/12bit

The good news is I the DI is working! HDMI handshake times are very similar to without the Linker but my picture is now very low resolution with major red tint.

Is this just because I have a 3' cable from Linker to the PJ or is there something else to look at?

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!

Last edited by GoCaboNow; 12-18-2017 at 11:14 AM.
post #492 of 1398 Old 12-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Trying things without the coupler is definitely something you should try. ANY time you introduce another device / coupler / cable into the mix, you greatly increase the odds of running into problems. If the coupler isn't Premium Certified (I'm not aware of any that are...), then it's doubly suspicious...
I thought that as well, but 4k HDR content plays flawlessly. I'll take the plate off ceiling this weekend and hook the 25' directly into the linker and see if that makes a difference. The other question is it better to put the linker closer to the source or the display?
post #493 of 1398 Old 12-18-2017, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Sony (Like almost all Home Theater Projectors) is not Dolby Vision compatible.

Thank you for pointing out that there is a difference in the headers of the signal and the signal itself. (What is being referred to as the container)

I'm not trying to carry Dolby Vision here, (The x800 isn't Dolby Vision capable and server will be nor is the Integra (but it will be soon with a firmware update). What I would expect to be able to achieve is a signal that is 4k 24Hz, 4:4:4: 30bit. This, as best as I know would give me a 10 Bit non compressed image at 4K resolution and the correct (native) refresh.

P.S. I bought a Vertex (per your suggestion) and look forward to learning. I know I have a ton more to learn about this stuff...

Scott
Yes Ok, i answered about Dolby Vision because in your first post you wrote : "When I use my AppleTV 4k to watch a 4K HDR (Dolby Vision) Movie, My Integra reports the Input as "
For what i understand now, you should be fine with Linker or Vertex.

If what you are trying to do is to define how all 4K60 should get out or how all 4K24/25/30 should get out and have a device that will take any 4K60 or any 4K24/25/30 and always output what you have defined, then yes, both will work.

Quote:
Sorry, what I meant is that I can not remove the 25' cable from the chain. I did remove the 6ft cable and replaced it with a 1ft cable, it looks like this now...

In this configuration the Roku does work, but I get a random bar of static flash along the bottom of the screen every 20-30 seconds. I didn't get a chance to see if switching inputs still requires me rebooting the linker. I can also remove the 3' HDMI cable and replace it with another 1' HDMI cable, but the 25' has to stay.

Would it be better if I move the Linker's location in the chain? For example...

Source->Reciver->1' HDMI->Linker->25' HDMI->HDMI Coupler->3' HDMI->PJ
I'm sorry, but please explain me why you cannot in this chain as you describe it below:

Disconnect the 3' HDMI going to HDMI coupler and connect to your source directly once you have moved it closer to PJ for testing ?

Also, don't use too short cable neither, recommended length for 600MHz is more than 6ft and less than 12ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
I have a new to me Linker that I am trying to integrate to use the DI with a JVC rs600 coming (Linker came from a JVC owner).

Per Manni's instructions I have it last in the chain and all HDMI cables are the approved Monoprice ones. I run a 20' Monoprice hdmi HDR cable from hdcp 2.2 AVR, Linker, then 3' cable of the same brand. Panny UB900 player.

Linker is set to Edid 8. Thru, HDCP 1.4

Without the Linker the Panny Video status screen shows
3840x2160/24p HDR/BT.2020 YCBCr4:2:0/10bit
4K/24p HDR/BT.2020YCbCr4:2:2/12bit

With the Linker the top line is the same but next line changes to
1080/24p SDR/BT.709 YCbr4:4:4/12bit

The good news is I the DI is working! HDMI handshake times are very similar to without the Linker but my picture is now very low resolution with major red tint.

Is this just because I have a 3' cable from Linker to the PJ or is there something else to look at?
Put HDCP on 2.2 (good post btw)
GoCaboNow likes this.

Last edited by HDfury; 12-18-2017 at 04:00 PM.
post #494 of 1398 Old 12-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes Ok, i answered about Dolby Vision because in your first post you wrote : "When I use my AppleTV 4k to watch a 4K HDR (Dolby Vision) Movie, My Integra reports the Input as "

If what you are trying to do is to define how all 4K60 should get out or how all 4K24/25/30 should get out and have a device that will take any 4K60 or any 4K24/25/30 and always output what you have defined, then yes, both will work.

I'm sorry, but please explain me why you cannot in this chain as you describe it below:

Disconnect the 3' HDMI going to HDMI coupler and connect to your source directly once you have moved it closer to PJ for testing ?

Also, don't use too short cable neither, recommended length for 600MHz is more than 6ft and less than 12ft.

Oh, yeah I can do it just for testing purposes. I meant it can't be moved permanently as the equipment needs to stay where it is located. I'll have to play around with it this weekend as everything is rack mounted. It's a chore to remove things... Hopefully, it's not the 25' bluejeans cable.
post #495 of 1398 Old 12-18-2017, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2616 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Hello,

My Setup:

HDMI 2
4K(3840x2160) 23Hz
YCbCr422 24bit

HDMI 1
4K(3840x2160) 23Hz
YCbCr444 36bit

I don't have an ATV4k (yet) but I have read more than one post in other threads where the ATV4K was sending 4K24 8 bit instead of 10 or 12 bit HDR. This might be a bug that will get fixed, or it might be designed to do this when it outputs HDR10 for Dolby Vision encoded content.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #496 of 1398 Old 12-19-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I don't have an ATV4k (yet) but I have read more than one post in other threads where the ATV4K was sending 4K24 8 bit instead of 10 or 12 bit HDR. This might be a bug that will get fixed, or it might be designed to do this when it outputs HDR10 for Dolby Vision encoded content.
A fair Point, and at this point I'm hoping for a Bug!! :-)
post #497 of 1398 Old 12-19-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Sorry about stating Dolby Vision, I can absolutely see the confusion I created. I was simply trying to acknowledge that I realized the signal would be Dolby Vision (hence 12bit) instead of HDR10 (10 bit)....

Thank You again for the details and information!!
post #498 of 1398 Old 12-19-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry about stating Dolby Vision, I can absolutely see the confusion I created. I was simply trying to acknowledge that I realized the signal would be Dolby Vision (hence 12bit) instead of HDR10 (10 bit)....

Thank You again for the details and information!!
Internally DV is 12-bit but as HDFury mentioned several times, it is passed inside an RGB 8-bit container. When I play a DV disc in my Oppo 203, my HDFury device (Vertex) reports RGB 8-bit; nowhere is 12-bit reported.

I don't know what the ATV4K does when you play DV content and your display supports HDR10 but not DV. Is it converting DV to HDR10? Or is it streaming a separate HDR10 version of the title like Netflix Apps do?

Either way, there is no guarantee that the ATV4K would send 12-bit HDR10 when you play DV content to your non-DV display device. You would need to ask Apple about that. I do think it is strange that you see 8-bit HDR and I think that is something Apple might need to address.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 12-19-2017 at 09:47 AM.
post #499 of 1398 Old 12-20-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Internally DV is 12-bit but as HDFury mentioned several times, it is passed inside an RGB 8-bit container. When I play a DV disc in my Oppo 203, my HDFury device (Vertex) reports RGB 8-bit; nowhere is 12-bit reported.

I don't know what the ATV4K does when you play DV content and your display supports HDR10 but not DV. Is it converting DV to HDR10? Or is it streaming a separate HDR10 version of the title like Netflix Apps do?

Either way, there is no guarantee that the ATV4K would send 12-bit HDR10 when you play DV content to your non-DV display device. You would need to ask Apple about that. I do think it is strange that you see 8-bit HDR and I think that is something Apple might need to address.
It is a requirement of Dolby Vision to carry the correct Metadata for HDR10. Thus Dolby Vision gear is capable to displaying HDR10 correctly. However what I believe you are saying is if the Signal is Dolby Vision and you are displaying that on an HDR10 capable device (only) then will the device be able to extract the HDR10 Metadata (it should) and simply the content correctly. A good question that for the moment I can only speculate not he answer. Given the primary differences between Dolby Vision and HDR10 are 1: Dynamically updated Metadata and 2: the ability to carry 12Bit Colorspace data, It would seem to me that the ability to extract what is needed for HDR10 should be achievable. However once again I have nothing but speculation to base that off of.

Way more research is needed.... Especially since Sony is never going to add software based Dolby Vision to the VPL-VW285ES, even if the hardware could get close to the brightness requirements...
post #500 of 1398 Old 12-20-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Thumbs up

Quote:

That did it! Everything works fine now. Same pic as without the linker. But, now I get the DI back on my RS600 and no forced Gamma D any time the wind blows.

I don't see any change in my sync times with the Linker either.

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #501 of 1398 Old 12-20-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is a requirement of Dolby Vision to carry the correct Metadata for HDR10. Thus Dolby Vision gear is capable to displaying HDR10 correctly. However what I believe you are saying is if the Signal is Dolby Vision and you are displaying that on an HDR10 capable device (only) then will the device be able to extract the HDR10 Metadata (it should) and simply the content correctly. A good question that for the moment I can only speculate not he answer. Given the primary differences between Dolby Vision and HDR10 are 1: Dynamically updated Metadata and 2: the ability to carry 12Bit Colorspace data, It would seem to me that the ability to extract what is needed for HDR10 should be achievable. However once again I have nothing but speculation to base that off of.

Way more research is needed.... Especially since Sony is never going to add software based Dolby Vision to the VPL-VW285ES, even if the hardware could get close to the brightness requirements...
I believe that is only true for UHD Blu Ray discs. Streaming services can send DV without an HDR10 base. Look at Vudu; they have only supplied a DV version of their titles. Subscribers without a DV display got SDR. Only recently have they started adding HDR10 to some.

CJ
post #502 of 1398 Old 12-24-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 851
My Linker is suddenly not playing nice with my DirecTV.

It is preventing DirecTV from seeing anything above 480p resolution. When I take the Linker out of the chain, it works fine, then I have to re-click the boxes for 720p, 1080i, and 1080p, then hook up the Linker again. Works for a bit, but then defaults back to 480p and I can't re-check the boxes for the higher resolutions.

No issue like this with my ub900, just the DirecTV.

This after several weeks of no issues.

Also, I notice that, other than fade to black scenes for HDR movies, the iris is completely inactive the rest of the time for HDR movies. Does the iris only work for complete fade to black scenes with HDR?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #503 of 1398 Old 12-24-2017, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
My Linker is suddenly not playing nice with my DirecTV.

It is preventing DirecTV from seeing anything above 480p resolution. When I take the Linker out of the chain, it works fine, then I have to re-click the boxes for 720p, 1080i, and 1080p, then hook up the Linker again. Works for a bit, but then defaults back to 480p and I can't re-check the boxes for the higher resolutions.

No issue like this with my ub900, just the DirecTV.

This after several weeks of no issues.

Also, I notice that, other than fade to black scenes for HDR movies, the iris is completely inactive the rest of the time for HDR movies. Does the iris only work for complete fade to black scenes with HDR?
Last question was answered many times by claw, manni, here and on JVC thread.

Please confirm FW you are running.
Please describe video chain with brand/model and length and type of HDMI cable used (fiber/active/copper)
Confirm if you are powering from wall plug or USB port.

post #504 of 1398 Old 12-27-2017, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just wanted to update, I removed the coupler from the chain. That solved the random flashing issue. The imagine also returns faster after switching inputs. My Xbox, PS4 and Roku all work great.

However, I still have two remaining issues. First, I get no sound from my cable box. Just an image. Second, after I power down all my devices, the linker does not detect an input the next time I try to watch something. I have to physically unplug it and plug it back in again. This is my chain right now...

Source->2-3' HDMI->Reciever->25' HDMI->linker->3' HDMI->Projector
post #505 of 1398 Old 12-27-2017, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I am in need of some Linker assistance.

I have it set between my Marantz reciever and wireless transmitter for the Epson 5040 Ube projector. Sound works fine but Xbox One X doesn't show all check marks.

If I move it in between the X1X HDMI and reciever, all check marks are green, but no sound.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this specific to the wireless? I would greatly appreciate some help here.

Currently I can't connect the receiver straight into the projectors HDMI 1 input. When I was able to do this a few months ago I got sound and all green check marks.

Sent from my Galaxy Note8 using Tapatalk

Epson 5040UBe, 120" Black Diamond Zero Edge 7 Screen 1.4 gain with LEDs
Marantz SR6011 Reciever, Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition, Nvidia Shield,BDI Ola 8137 stand, Logitech Harmony One Remote with Alexa,
Klipsch Dolby Atmos 7.1.2 surround sound
post #506 of 1398 Old 12-28-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just wanted to update, I removed the coupler from the chain. That solved the random flashing issue. The imagine also returns faster after switching inputs. My Xbox, PS4 and Roku all work great.

However, I still have two remaining issues. First, I get no sound from my cable box. Just an image. Second, after I power down all my devices, the linker does not detect an input the next time I try to watch something. I have to physically unplug it and plug it back in again. This is my chain right now...

Source->2-3' HDMI->Reciever->25' HDMI->linker->3' HDMI->Projector
Can you confirm the FW you are running on the unit and how the unit is powered.
The sound issue from cable box is you have SOURCE > AVR > LINKER, is more likely not related to Linker as it's aftter your AVR.
You can make a quick test SOURCE > LINKER > AVR , does it solves the cable box sound issue ?

If you cannot solve this on your own, please make GUI screenshot when you have the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALadder22FF View Post
I am in need of some Linker assistance.

I have it set between my Marantz reciever and wireless transmitter for the Epson 5040 Ube projector. Sound works fine but Xbox One X doesn't show all check marks.

If I move it in between the X1X HDMI and reciever, all check marks are green, but no sound.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this specific to the wireless? I would greatly appreciate some help here.

Currently I can't connect the receiver straight into the projectors HDMI 1 input. When I was able to do this a few months ago I got sound and all green check marks.

Sent from my Galaxy Note8 using Tapatalk
This usually just mean that you don't have the latest FW installed, kindly report your FW version.

post #507 of 1398 Old 12-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Can you confirm the FW you are running on the unit and how the unit is powered.
The sound issue from cable box is you have SOURCE > AVR > LINKER, is more likely not related to Linker as it's aftter your AVR.
You can make a quick test SOURCE > LINKER > AVR , does it solves the cable box sound issue ?

If you cannot solve this on your own, please make GUI screenshot when you have the issue.

This usually just mean that you don't have the latest FW installed, kindly report your FW version.
I am running the latest .25 FW that was released in November. If I remove the linker, sound from the cablebox works without any issues. However, I will try what you suggested. The screenshots of the GUI are below...thanks for the help!

post #508 of 1398 Old 12-28-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am running the latest .25 FW that was released in November. If I remove the linker, sound from the cablebox works without any issues. However, I will try what you suggested. The screenshots of the GUI are below...thanks for the help!

Please try to take GUI screenshot if you can, and try to report on the test asked as well as question asked, if you cannot take GUI screenshot, then take INFO PAGE screenshot from APP when you have no sound.
Also please confirm brand/model of every equipment in the chain, and try rebooting all equipment, you can remove/reconnect powercord to make sure, it is safer when you have issue.
Also, try AVR CEC option ON/OFF see if it changes anything, sometime sound issue are related to CEC issues.

Last edited by HDfury; 12-28-2017 at 02:39 PM.
post #509 of 1398 Old 12-28-2017, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Please try to take GUI screenshot if you can, and try to report on the test asked as well as question asked, if you cannot take GUI screenshot, then take INFO PAGE screenshot from APP when you have no sound.
Also please confirm brand/model of every equipment in the chain, and try rebooting all equipment, you can remove/reconnect powercord to make sure, it is safer when you have issue.
Also, try AVR CEC option ON/OFF see if it changes anything, sometime sound issue are related to CEC issues.
I managed to fix the sound from the cable box. I had the receiver upscaling the video from 1080i to 4k. I turned off the upconversion and the sound started working. Seems like it may have to do with how the HDCP going from 1.4 to 2.2? The top image below is when I get no sound, the second image is when the sound works.

No Sound

Sound

So, at least that issue seems to be resolved. Now just the one power issue left. As I mentioned, the Linker works great. However, when I am done watching something and power everything down, the linker reports no HDMI input when I power everything back up again. I have to manually unplug the Linker USB power and plug it back in again to receive a picture. This happens regardless of the time interval between viewing sessions. Here is a list of all my sources and the connection chain.

Sources
Samsung Cable Box SMT-C5320
Panasonic Blu-ray Player DMP UB900
Roku Ultra
PlayStation 4 Pro
Xbox One X

Sources ->Denon Reciever AVR-X6300H -> 25' BJC Belden Series-1 HDMI Cable -> Linker -> 3' BJC Belden Series-FE HDMI Cable-> Epson Projector 5040UB

Thanks again for all the help!!!
post #510 of 1398 Old 12-29-2017, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I managed to fix the sound from the cable box. I had the receiver upscaling the video from 1080i to 4k. I turned off the upconversion and the sound started working. Seems like it may have to do with how the HDCP going from 1.4 to 2.2? The top image below is when I get no sound, the second image is when the sound works.

No Sound

Sound

So, at least that issue seems to be resolved. Now just the one power issue left. As I mentioned, the Linker works great. However, when I am done watching something and power everything down, the linker reports no HDMI input when I power everything back up again. I have to manually unplug the Linker USB power and plug it back in again to receive a picture. This happens regardless of the time interval between viewing sessions. Here is a list of all my sources and the connection chain.

Sources
Samsung Cable Box SMT-C5320
Panasonic Blu-ray Player DMP UB900
Roku Ultra
PlayStation 4 Pro
Xbox One X

Sources ->Denon Reciever AVR-X6300H -> 25' BJC Belden Series-1 HDMI Cable -> Linker -> 3' BJC Belden Series-FE HDMI Cable-> Epson Projector 5040UB

Thanks again for all the help!!!
Ok, when cable box is upscaling i would try two things:
1) play with AVR CEC settings, see if it helps to turn ON/OFF
2) from screenshot it seems hdcp 1.4 comes in and hdcp 2.2 goes out, see if forcing out to 1.4 help. (change HDCP from 2.2+1.4 to strictly 1.4)

For the power up issue, see if AVR have default passthru option, try turning this ON/OFF too.
Another solution would be to export the current custom EDID from FW0.25 (because that is needed for Xbox one X full green checks), and then try FW 0.23 and loading the custom EDID back into it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page