Originally Posted by D_B_0673
Using the Panny UB 900 or Oppo player, with a JVC 620
With 4K content, I strip the meta data with the linker, which gives a HDR to SDR conversion but keeping the wide color gamut, is that correct?
If I have a 1080p blu ray and I let the player upconvert to 4K, what happens?
Does it output REC709, which would be correct?
If I play a 1080P BluRay at 1080p does that pass thru the linker without any issues?
Do I need to change some setting in the Linker depending on what type of disk I play?
How will the Vertex operate with the same questions as above, as I would probably go for the vertex.
To be exact (because many are doing the same semantic mistake here)
If you strip HDR metadata > you got HDR/BT2020 from your source and your display doesn't go into HDR mode since metadata is stripped. (this is DISABLE HDR feature used by some JVC PJ owners)
Metadata travels by info frame along with the main video signal.
So to get SDR/BT2020, you do not strip any metadata (since the source is not sending HDR, therefor it's not sending any metadata for it), in fact, instead of presenting a BT2020/HDR EDID, you simply present a BT2020/SDR EDID (an EDID without HDR datablock)
So eventually you could call this feature STRIP HDR DATABLOCK from EDID.
Now to answer your questions (which i believe we answered by email already):
- Yes some UHD BR player will give you SDR/BT2020 from UHD disc using STRIP HDR DATABLOCK from EDID.
- If you upconvert 1080p to 4K for normal BR, then you got 4K REC709 unless player is set to output something else (the SDR/BT2020 edid settings won't affect anything here if that's the underlying question behind, as per, i think, claw mentioned it already)
- Yes it will output REC709 more likely as answered above.
- Yes BR at 1080p will passthru without any issue.
- No you should not need to change any settings in the Linker depending on what type of disk you play, you might however have to change some settings if you want to play the SAME disk once in HDR and once in SDR/BT2020
Above answers are equal for Vertex more likely, but Vertex have way more room for improvement (beta firmware being already far superior to anything we ever did) so it might change in the future.
Originally Posted by fahadm
Many of us wish to downscale from 4K streams to 'older' 1080p projectors.
Can the Linker downscale?
If so, what is the quick preset or EDID GUI configuration for a FW 0.23 Linker running as follows:
1. Amazon Fire TV version 2 (HDCP 2.2)
2. Epson 5030 UB (only 1080p at 10bit; no 4K; no HDCP 2.2)
The Linker quick presets 2 & 3 only work with newer Epson projectors that 'accept' 4K; right?
What's the correct configuration?
Yes Linker can downscale to 1080p, for this you just move SCALE slide switch to DOWNSCALE, hold RST and press INP 6 times. Usually you will want to do that with default custom edid so make sure EDID slide is on CUSTOM and that you have not changed the default CUSTOM EDID. (otherwise, change the custom EDID back to default or reflash firmware)