ViewHD VHD-UHAE2 HDCP 2.2 audio extractor/splitter - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 01-27-2018, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 688 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5447 Post(s)
Liked: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
I had the same problem, I gave up on it. I now have the AVRKey and that doesn't work for me either. I give up.
Dear Dave,

See my answer in thread

Please do this :

SOURCE > AVR-KEY > Audio to your sony, Video wherever you want it (TV/AVR)
All slides on mid position and confirm it's working or not.

If you are trying to do something else, please explain what and why.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 01-28-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
If I hook the Shield directly to the receiver, my Audio Mode says:

PCM 16bit, Single Precision Floating Point, DD, DD+, DTS, DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD

If I hook the Shield to the ViewHD, hook output 1 to my projector, output 2 to my receiver, and set the EDID for Output 2, my Audio Mode says:

PCM 16 bit, DD

Weird
Looks like the HDMI audio handshake is incomplete or failed.
Suggest trying another device like a Bluray player or PC, instead of the Shield.

There is a long thread on the Nvidia forums about the 5.1 output compatibility problems with the Shield.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...urround-sound/

It might be worth looking at some secondary options
1)If you are not on the latest release of the Shield Experience, suggest upgrading.
2)4K60/18Gbps Certified HDMI cables
post #33 of 49 Old 01-28-2018, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I had the same problem, I gave up on it. I now have the AVRKey and that doesn't work for me either. I give up.
Hang in there, I have not found any other viable options short of getting a whole new receiver/processor.

ViewHD is my 3rd attempt at splitting HDMI audio from video, I started back in November with the HDFury AVRKey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 01-28-2018, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 688 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5447 Post(s)
Liked: 1585
From AVR-Key thread, he got it working now.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
post #35 of 49 Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Yeah, I got the Shield going with the AVRKey. I need to use it for multiple devices, so I'm going to try a inexpensive HDCP 2.2 switches to see if I can get it to work, if not I'll probably live without lossless output on my PS4 Pro.

Starting to cost me a lot of money now just to bypass HDCP 2.2.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #36 of 49 Old 03-30-2018, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lowest common HDMI after split?

Hello, everyone!

What I'm trying to figure out is:

If I use this to send a 4k signal to the projector and send the split HDMI signal with sound to a Denon receiver that only handles 1080 video, will the 4K signal to the projector be preserved, or will it be downscaled to 1080? What are the issues here?

Thanks in advance... !

Last edited by Wombat Pete; 03-30-2018 at 10:32 AM.
post #37 of 49 Old 03-30-2018, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat Pete View Post
Hello, everyone!

What I'm trying to figure out is:

If I use this to send a 4k signal to the projector and send the split HDMI signal with sound to a Denon receiver that only handles 1080 video, will the 4K signal to the projector be preserved, or will it be downscaled to 1080? What are the issues here?

Thanks in advance... !
I do this and the 4K signal is fine, but in most cases, it only passes 2 channel stereo sound from my nVidia Shield. Some specific video files will pass Dolby 5.1, but most apps like Netflix will not. I also can’t get a reliable 4K HDR signal through the box. I have to use 4K with Rec 709. It may be because I have a 30 ft HDMI wire. You may do better if your run is shorter. I consider this box a stop gap until I buy a new receiver and then I’ll stop using it.
Wombat Pete likes this.
post #38 of 49 Old 03-30-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I do this and the 4K signal is fine, but in most cases, it only passes 2 channel stereo sound from my nVidia Shield. Some specific video files will pass Dolby 5.1, but most apps like Netflix will not. I also can’t get a reliable 4K HDR signal through the box. I have to use 4K with Rec 709. It may be because I have a 30 ft HDMI wire. You may do better if your run is shorter. I consider this box a stop gap until I buy a new receiver and then I’ll stop using it.
That's very helpful. I'll try it - with much shorter cables - and let you know what happens!
post #39 of 49 Old 04-02-2018, 09:22 PM

Optical Audio Out Help?

Quote:
Okay, I have it. The pass-through to the projector is letting me see the 4k for the first time - amazing!

Can't figure out the sound yet. I haven't tried the legacy AVR yet, have to hook up the speakers. What I want to do is use the optical out to throw sound to the base for my Steelseries 840 wireless headphones. I've attached the cable, but the computer isn't giving me a new audio playback option. None of the EDID options seem to change that. There are, of course, really no support options and no manual to speak of.

What am I missing?

UPD: Actually, it's not the unit, which apparently sends out the optical signal irrespective of other settings; it's the setting of the headphones unit, so - cancel this!

Last edited by Wombat Pete; 04-02-2018 at 10:38 PM.
post #40 of 49 Old 04-15-2018, 04:36 PM

Computer not detecting the audio from the extractor

Hello! Okay, working with this. The video is beautiful.

But the computer doesn't seem to detect the audio, no matter where I direct it through the ViewHD.

I can't get an option either for the optical connection to the headphones, or for the Denon, to come up under "Playback Devices."

I didn't think it was a question for this place while it was only the optical audio, but now I've set up the legacy AVR and the computer still isn't seeing that there's a new audio option for playback.

The equipment in question:

Computer: Alienware 17 R3 running Windows 10

Where I'm trying to send the sound:
Option 1) Denon AVR2113CI, 7.1-Channel Integrated Network A/V Receiver
Option 2) SPDIF to base of SteelSeries Siberia 840 headset

The ViewHD VHD-UHAE2 HDCP 2.2 audio extractor/splitter

Sony Projector (not really relevant, the video's working perfectly).

The red light seems to show that the optical audio signal coming out of the ViewHD is active.

Any ideas? My thanks in advance!
post #41 of 49 Old 04-20-2018, 11:11 AM

Computer doesn't see ViewHD!!!

My setup:

1. Windows 10 Computer---via HDMI---to ViewHD

2. ViewHD---
---via HDMI to projector (works perfectly, 4K passthrough)
and...
---via SPDIF to headphones (and here's the problem:...)

THE PROBLEM: the computer simply does not see the ViewHD. It's not listed among the sound playback options.

I used have: Computer via HDMI to 1080 Denon AVR, which sent the sound to speakers & the video to the old 1080 projector. The computer DID see the Denon AVR, it was listed among the sound playback options.

Help!

Last edited by Wombat Pete; 04-20-2018 at 05:33 PM.
post #42 of 49 Old 05-21-2018, 03:28 PM

No playback option using S/PDIF!!!

One more try:

The S/PDIF out on the ViewHD, when plugged into a headphone base unit, doesn't give me a new playback option on the computer to choose. It's lit up, so it's active. What am I doing wrong?
post #43 of 49 Old 08-02-2018, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ViewHD VHD-UHAE2 Doesnt play 5.1

Hi Guys,

I just got the VHD-UHAE2 and tried hooking it up to my setup
Everything seems to work ok, except I could not get the DTS-HD and other 5.1 formats to work properly - only 2 ch.
the Led indicator on the splitter shows only 2CH

My setup:
Tv - LG 65B6
4K Streamer - Egreat A5
Receiver - pioneer SC-LX83
Splitter - VHD-UHAE2

Connections:
* The Egreat A5 is connected to the splitter's "HDMI In"
* The splitter's "Audio Out2 (Audio only)" is connected to Pioneer SC-LX83 "HDMI In"
* The TV's "HDMI 2 (ARC)" is connected to the Splitter's "HDMI Out1 ARC"

however, I still get only 2CH sound (all other formats get no sound) and only this indicator lights on the splitter.
HDMI cables are Audioquest Pearl and they atre all connected properly so have no clue..
by the way, the Egreat connected to the receiver itself gives DTS-HD so at least I know both units are good

does the EDID have anything to do with it?
any ideas?
post #44 of 49 Old 01-23-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I got this and only get 2 channels from the HDMI audio out. It’s a bust. Tried it with Shield. Booool

Going for the AVR Key next.
post #45 of 49 Old 01-28-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
I got this and only get 2 channels from the HDMI audio out. It’s a bust. Tried it with Shield. Booool

Going for the AVR Key next.
for those having issues with this, there is newer firmware available that may fix your issues. you need to pay a small fee and ship it to the manufacturer, but it may be worth a shot, if worked for me.

my setup is a Vizio P65-F1, Nvidia Shield, and H/K 1700 AVR. I could only get up to DD+ with the old firmware and had a lot of black and flashing screen issues with anything other than the 2CH EDID mode. With the updated firmware, I can finally get lossless audio sent to my AVR and 4K video to the TV.

I have never owned a device that didn't have user upgrade-able firmware, but whatever, I figured it was worth a shot, and i had is back in a little over a week.
post #46 of 49 Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by square_one View Post
for those having issues with this, there is newer firmware available that may fix your issues. you need to pay a small fee and ship it to the manufacturer, but it may be worth a shot, if worked for me.

my setup is a Vizio P65-F1, Nvidia Shield, and H/K 1700 AVR. I could only get up to DD+ with the old firmware and had a lot of black and flashing screen issues with anything other than the 2CH EDID mode. With the updated firmware, I can finally get lossless audio sent to my AVR and 4K video to the TV.

I have never owned a device that didn't have user upgrade-able firmware, but whatever, I figured it was worth a shot, and i had is back in a little over a week.
I have always had weird issues sometimes with a purple/black screen which is usually solved by unplugging the device. So I was thinking about sending mine in to not have to deal with this anymore. Do you have the contact info for the company I cannot seem to find it online? Also what did they charge you?

Samsung JS8500 65in
Pioneer VSX-53
Mains: Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE
Center: Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE
Surrounds: Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #47 of 49 Old 04-15-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidflex View Post
I have always had weird issues sometimes with a purple/black screen which is usually solved by unplugging the device. So I was thinking about sending mine in to not have to deal with this anymore. Do you have the contact info for the company I cannot seem to find it online? Also what did they charge you?
email them at [email protected]. it was $8 plus shipping both ways.
raidflex likes this.
post #48 of 49 Old 04-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by square_one View Post
email them at [email protected]. it was $8 plus shipping both ways.
Thanks, will this also fix the issue with Windows 10 not seeing the AVR? I connected my GTX 1080 to the device but it only saw 2.0 audio for my Samsung TV. I had no way to force 5.1 it seemed.

Edit: I fixed the audio issue, setting on the audio extractor got changed.

Samsung JS8500 65in
Pioneer VSX-53
Mains: Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE
Center: Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE
Surrounds: Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP

Last edited by raidflex; 04-15-2019 at 06:51 PM.
post #49 of 49 Old 03-20-2020, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
If you connect the shield to the AVR directly, vs, going through the VHD-UHAE2's out2 port using the out2 EDID setting, and obtain different audio EDID table, then there is indeed a problem. And the problem is most likely due to the shield's compatibility weakness.

Because we use PS3 to read all EDID settings of the UHAE2, it has no issue at all, at the out2 setting, the entire audio EDID table of the AVR is presented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page