ViewHD VHD-UHAE2 HDCP 2.2 audio extractor/splitter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 49 Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 373
ViewHD VHD-UHAE2 HDCP 2.2 audio extractor/splitter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0755TB82Q

I noticed this on Amazon and they claim it does what the AVRKey does for less than half the price, plus it has ARC.

I just ordered one and will keep you updated as to whether it actually works.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.

Last edited by DaveFi; 01-13-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 01-13-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0755TB82Q

I noticed this on Amazon and they claim it does what the AVRKey does for less than half the price, plus it has ARC.

I just ordered one and will keep you updated as to whether it actually works.
From the description...
ARC audio is available from the optical output

CJ
JVC RS500 | LG B7A OLED | Denon X6400H (7.2.4) | X4200W | Panasonic UB820 | Two Oppo 203 | Samsung K8500 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K | HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral | MadVR with EVGA RTX-2080 Ti
post #3 of 49 Old 01-13-2018, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
From the description...
ARC audio is available from the optical output
That's not what it says exactly. The full statement is:

ARC audio is available from the optical output, not available for analog stereo output.

Which could mean they just wanted to clarify that there is no analog output- it doesn't state it won't pass-through ARC over the HDMI.

Even if ARC isn't passed and it just outputs audio to HDMI 1.4 devices it will still work for me.

This is why I used Amazon Prime, so I'm covered if it doesn't work as described.

Last edited by DaveFi; 01-13-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 01-13-2018, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just got The ViewHD, does a great job with the splitting of audio and video, the HDR formats (DV, HDR10, HLG) all pass thru without issues. Audio codecs like TruHD and DTS-MA-HD passthru ok, don know about ATMOS or DTS-X as my processor cannot decode these.

TV is LG OLED65C7.

HDMI-CEC works, I can control everything connected with the TV remote, I use the Nvidia Shield most of the time connected via 5port Awakelion HDMI 4k switch.

I also have the Oppo UDP203, works also with no major issues.

ARC is problematic, my TV will not use the ARC port, keeps going back to the internal speakers, if I force to use ARC by turning HDMI-CEC ARC handshake off I get no sound.

Oppo UDP203 also supports ARC routing, this works on my TV.

Not quite sure if ARC audio is limited to SPDIF only, I was hoping the audio HDMI port could also push out ARC audio, have not tried SPDIF as I have to reconfigure the AVR to use SPDIF inputs.

Build quality is good, looks like a steel painted box and the supplied power brick is small and does not take up too much space on a crowded power strip.

Other boxes I have tried.

Egreat-H10.
This is a nice box, 1.5x the cost of the ViewHD, this is what I was using before, main downside is it does not pass Dolby Vision (DV).

The other limitation is the box only passes up to 1080p when RGB is used instead of YCbCr

The supplied power brick needed an adapter so it was rather bulky.
Case is a nice anodized aluminium box.

HDFury AVR Key.
I had no end of problems with this one
-Dolby Digital streams produce a loud crack at the start of playback
-HDMI-CEC will not work reliably , for example I sometimes cannot turn off the Shield, remote control from the TV sometimes freezes
-Very picky with the HDMI switch used, most affected was the HDMI-CEC
-Runs very warm, measured a temp of 53 degC at the air vent.
-Flimsy plastic case.
-Uses a fragile micro USB for power plug, ViewHD and H10 have more robust barrel connectors
-Expensive >2x the cost of the View HD

Overall an expensive disappointment for me.
Strife67 likes this.

Last edited by Tong Chia; 01-27-2018 at 12:48 PM.
post #5 of 49 Old 01-13-2018, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Tong, thanks for the input.

I really don't care if ARC audio is passed over HDMI or not as my Vizio P65 outputs DD+ over SPDIF, so there is no real advantage to having it output over HDMI.

So I can input my receiver using the standard output into the TV and then just use the audio only HDMI output to my headphone transmitter. I'm hoping this will work.

If it works it seems like it's a great deal for the price.

post #6 of 49 Old 01-15-2018, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my Pioneer VSX-90 doesn't seem to get along nicely with it.

The only way to get sound out of it is to turn on HDZone mode, and when I do that I noticed my Shield is then limited to YUV 4:2:2 709 24Hz. No more 59.94 4:2:2 2020 12bit. It must be my receiver.

If I turn off HDZone and feed the receiver's Main output into it I get nothing from the HDMI audio only output. If I feed my Shield directly into it it works fine.

I'm tempted to try a HDCP 2.2 switch but It's starting to get expensive now. Why is it so hard to send a working 1.4 HDCP compatible audio out while getting full 4k video?

Edit- Hahaha. I got it to work. After messing around with it for over 2hrs I figured out the only way to get sound and get the full video bitrate was to allow video to passthrough my receiver in standby mode.

Pioneer receivers suck. Never again.

Last edited by DaveFi; 01-15-2018 at 10:16 PM.
post #7 of 49 Old 01-16-2018, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Nevermind. This thing is a bust. It can't pass lossless audio from the Shield out the HDMI 1.4 output.

post #8 of 49 Old 01-17-2018, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nevermind. This thing is a bust. It can't pass lossless audio from the Shield out the HDMI 1.4 output.
Lossless Multichannel 24/96 PCM works on my Oppo 203 with the ViewHD, no downsampling, receiver gets the correct sample rate.

I also tried 24/192 stereo, passes thru unchanged

Shield for multichannel PCM is a bust, both SPMC and Kodi downsample to 48kHz, I have mine set to passthru to bitstream DD, TrueHD etc, the Kodi wiki mentions the use of the Multichannel for lossless PCM, but I do not want Kodi to do the decoding.
post #9 of 49 Old 01-17-2018, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia View Post
Lossless Multichannel 24/96 PCM works on my Oppo 203 with the ViewHD, no downsampling, receiver gets the correct sample rate.

I also tried 24/192 stereo, passes thru unchanged

Shield for multichannel PCM is a bust, both SPMC and Kodi downsample to 48kHz, I have mine set to passthru to bitstream DD, TrueHD etc, the Kodi wiki mentions the use of the Multichannel for lossless PCM, but I do not want Kodi to do the decoding.
Maybe I got a bad one? There are people who reviewed it on Amazon who state it works fine with the Shield, they are able to bitstream all lossless audio formats just fine.

I tried multiple configurations over the last 2 days and I just couldn't figure it out. Eventually I just hooked it up by itself to the Shield into input 1 with the ARC output direct to my Vizio P65-E1, without hooking it up to my receiver. I went to the Shield settings menu:

About--->Status---->HDMI

When I changed the EDID on the View HD the Shield would display various things for the different settings.

The best I could get was DD+, Floating point. When I tried the EDID 7.1 or the Audio output 2 button setting it would just blink and not give me a picture at all. It must not get along well with my particular TV.

I suppose I could exchange it for another but I don't think it would make any difference.

post #10 of 49 Old 01-17-2018, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

About-->Status-->HDMI on my Shield reads:

PCM 16bit, Single Precision Floating Point, DD, DD+, DTS, DTS HD, TrueHD

ViewHD set to HDMI Output 2, the processor is connected to HDMI Output 2, Shield connected to the HDMI input, HDMI Output 1 goes to the TV.

Try connecting your processor input to the HDMI out 2 and see if you see something similar.
post #11 of 49 Old 01-18-2018, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
About-->Status-->HDMI on my Shield reads:

PCM 16bit, Single Precision Floating Point, DD, DD+, DTS, DTS HD, TrueHD

ViewHD set to HDMI Output 2, the processor is connected to HDMI Output 2, Shield connected to the HDMI input, HDMI Output 1 goes to the TV.

Try connecting your processor input to the HDMI out 2 and see if you see something similar.
I did all that. The ARC light just blinks when set to Output 2, no picture. I don't think it plays nice with my Vizio's ARC even with it turned off.

I'm looking at it right now. Shield plugged into HDMI input, TV connecteted to HDMI 1, nothing else. Set to Output 2. It says:

PCM 16bit, DD, DD+

That's it.

I'll return it and try another. If not I'll have to buy the AVRKey.

Last edited by DaveFi; 01-18-2018 at 10:32 AM.
post #12 of 49 Old 01-18-2018, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like the ViewHD used the audio EDID part of your TV, can your TV decode TrueHD ?

Does the Shield report different info if you plug in one of the HDMI inputs of the Pioneer AVR into HDMI output 2?
(AVR needs to be on)

Last edited by Tong Chia; 01-19-2018 at 12:06 AM.
post #13 of 49 Old 01-19-2018, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Looks like the ViewHD used the audio EDID part of your TV, can your TV decode TrueHD ?

Does the Shield report different info if you plug in one of the HDMI inputs of the Pioneer AVR into HDMI output 2?
(AVR needs to be on)
I tried that. I couldn't get it to work that way either, even with ARC turned off on everything. With the receiver turned off (pass-through) I was able to get 4:2:0 and no lossless audio. With it on I couldn't get 4k at all.

I'll try another one but I suspect I won't be able to get that one to work either.

I didn't want to spend $150 on the AVRKey but it looks like I'll have no choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Bla.../dp/B01CT7THLO

I could try something like this because I only need audio working from my receiver's 2nd HDMI output to the headphone transmitter:

Pioneer AVR HDMI Out1 ARC---->TV
Pioneer AVR HDZone out (no ARC but bitstreams lossless audio)----->HDCP 2.2/1.4 converter---->Sony wireless headphone transmitter (HDMI 1.4)

I suspect the receiver will see it as a HDMI 1.4 device in the chain and 4k video will fall back to 1080p. Worth a shot.

HDCP 2.2 is nothing but an inconvenience to the consumer.

Last edited by DaveFi; 01-19-2018 at 09:06 AM.
post #14 of 49 Old 01-19-2018, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 680 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5402 Post(s)
Liked: 1548
Quote:

HDCP 2.2 is nothing but an inconvenience to the consumer.
Haha, nice to see people coming to same conclusion.

Anyway, in the above case, Vizio TV have EDID issue and ViewHD more likely haven't provided any firmware update to handle wrong EDID (they use reference code design).
cheap AV gear = reference design in nearly all cases, so no surprise it won't work until they get some devs looking at the issue and providing update.

People wonders why HDfury is more expensive, it's because if you come to us with such issue, and we had one user with it recently, then we will work out an update for you and your unique special/use case, thus ensuring product get rock solid over time against any type of setup.
While when you purchase cheap AV gear you have to hope and expect everything being "average" in order to work.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.

Last edited by HDfury; 01-19-2018 at 10:21 AM.
post #15 of 49 Old 01-19-2018, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Haha, nice to see people coming to same conclusion.

Anyway, in the above case, Vizio TV have EDID issue and ViewHD more likely haven't provided any firmware update to handle wrong EDID (they use reference code design).
cheap AV gear = reference design in nearly all cases, so no surprise it won't work until they get some devs looking at the issue and providing update.

People wonders why HDfury is more expensive, it's because if you come to us with such issue, and we had one user with it recently, then we will work out an update for you and your unique special/use case, thus ensuring product get rock solid over time against any type of setup.
While when you purchase cheap AV gear you have to hope and expect everything being "average" in order to work.
Well, I realize you're offering something the other companies aren't, but I have a relatively inexpensive setup, so that $150 is almost what I paid for my receiver (albeit used). The thing is the Sony wireless headphones I have are unique- there isn't another product on the market like them and I use them daily so I might have to buy your product anyways if it gets my setup working.

My Pioneer VSX-90 receiver was their first product with HDCP 2.2 and they stopped doing firmware updates over a year ago, so it has tons of handshake issues.

post #16 of 49 Old 01-21-2018, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the Blackbird HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 converter didn't work either (TV just fell back to 1080p), so AVRKey here I come.

Last edited by DaveFi; 01-21-2018 at 03:33 PM.
post #17 of 49 Old 01-23-2018, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Could you get it to pass 5.1?

I just received my ViewHD yesterday and connected it to my Shield. I ran the Audio HDMI output to my receiver, a Denon AVR-1712.

I can live without lossless audio...I'm just trying to get 5.1 to work. I’ve tried several sources in the Shield and I only get 2 channel sound 95% of the time:
- General Shield menu bleeps and blips – 2 channel
- Netflix – 2 channel
- Amazon Prime Video – 2 channel
- Numerous movies in Kodi – 2 channel
- One specific movie in Kodi – 5.1 channel Dolby (I don't know why this worked and none of the others did.)

Were you able to get 5.1 output from any of these Shield sources? I've tried cycling through the EDID options on the ViewHD (unplugging and replugging each time), but it didn't seem to change much.
post #18 of 49 Old 01-23-2018, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just got The ViewHD, does a great job with the splitting of audio and video, the HDR formats (DV, HDR10, HLG) all pass thru without issues. Audio codecs like TruHD and DTS-MA-HD passthru ok, don know about ATMOS or DTS-X as my processor cannot decode these.

TV is LG OLED65C7.

HDMI-CEC works, I can control everything connected with the TV remote, I use the Nvidia Shield most of the time connected via 5port Awakelion HDMI 4k switch.
How did you get 5.1 output from the nVidia Shield? Which apps were you able to get it from? Was there any configuration involved? I can only get 2 channel output most of the time.
post #19 of 49 Old 01-23-2018, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post
How did you get 5.1 output from the nVidia Shield? Which apps were you able to get it from? Was there any configuration involved? I can only get 2 channel output most of the time.
It seems like it has issues with different TVs. If I set it to 5.1 or output 1/2 I could get DD+. Try that.

post #20 of 49 Old 01-23-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just make sure to set surround sound to AUTO in the Display&Sound->Sound->Advanced settings.

Works with every app I used (Netflix, Amazon, Kodi, SPMC etc)
post #21 of 49 Old 01-23-2018, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ARC support seems limited to DD only, my TV is outputting DD+ on ARC which I get if I use the Oppo 203 instead of the ViewHD.

DD+ coming from the Shield is split as DD+ and video without any issues.
skullnrose likes this.
post #22 of 49 Old 01-24-2018, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just make sure to set surround sound to AUTO in the Display&Sound->Sound->Advanced settings.

Works with every app I used (Netflix, Amazon, Kodi, SPMC etc)
Strange. My current settings:

Surround sound : Auto
Stereo Upmix : Off
Fixed Volume : On

HDMI set to 3840x2160 59.940 Hz YUV 420 10bit Rec 2020

I still have the same issues.
post #23 of 49 Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

When I go HDMI straight from the Shield to the Receiver, all of the apps come across in some 5.1 format. When I go from Shield to the ViewHD to the Receiver, everything changes to 2 channel, except for 2 Dolby videos that I have in Kodi. Kodi is set for Passthrough, which allows it to work with the ViewHD. The other apps, I assume, are using the native Shield sound settings.

Last edited by ed3120; 01-24-2018 at 08:28 AM.
post #24 of 49 Old 01-24-2018, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I go HDMI straight from the Shield to the Receiver, all of the apps come across in some 5.1 format. When I go from Shield to the ViewHD to the Receiver, everything changes to 2 channel, except for 2 Dolby videos that I have in Kodi. Kodi is set for Passthrough, which allows it to work with the ViewHD. The other apps, I assume, are using the native Shield sound settings.
Which EDID LED on the front panel is lit ?

If I set mine to 2ch I only get 2ch, for multichannel set it to 5.1, 7.1, Out2.
Out1 is usually the TV, suggest skipping that.
Your receiver should be connected to the ViewHD via HDMI and not SPDIF.

The apps auto detect, Netflix, for example shows the 5.1 icon in the summary if the Shield sees multichannel capability.
Kodi can be set to override as you have seen.

What is Settings->About->Status->HDMI reporting for audio capability?

Last edited by Tong Chia; 01-24-2018 at 09:04 PM.
post #25 of 49 Old 01-25-2018, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Which EDID LED on the front panel is lit ?

If I set mine to 2ch I only get 2ch, for multichannel set it to 5.1, 7.1, Out2.
Out1 is usually the TV, suggest skipping that.
Your receiver should be connected to the ViewHD via HDMI and not SPDIF.

The apps auto detect, Netflix, for example shows the 5.1 icon in the summary if the Shield sees multichannel capability.
Kodi can be set to override as you have seen.

What is Settings->About->Status->HDMI reporting for audio capability?
It says Audio Mode: PCM 16 Bit, DD
post #26 of 49 Old 01-26-2018, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On my unit, the Shield reports the following audio capabilities.

Set to EDID Out2 : PCM 16bit, Single Precision Floating Point, DD, DD+, DTS, DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD
Set to EDID Out1: PCM 16bit, DD, DD+, DTS, Dolby TrueHD

Out2: Onkyo PR-SC885 Processor
Out1: LG OLED65C7 TV

This consistent as the LG TV does not have a DTS-HD decoder but the Onkyo does.

If is not changing on your ViewHD unit, it may be defective.

(Be sure to change the TV's audio input source when selecting EDID Out1, otherwise the correct handshake will not happen)
post #27 of 49 Old 01-27-2018, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
On my unit, the Shield reports the following audio capabilities.

Set to EDID Out2 : PCM 16bit, Single Precision Floating Point, DD, DD+, DTS, DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD
Set to EDID Out1: PCM 16bit, DD, DD+, DTS, Dolby TrueHD

Out2: Onkyo PR-SC885 Processor
Out1: LG OLED65C7 TV

This consistent as the LG TV does not have a DTS-HD decoder but the Onkyo does.

If is not changing on your ViewHD unit, it may be defective.

(Be sure to change the TV's audio input source when selecting EDID Out1, otherwise the correct handshake will not happen)
This is a JVC DLA-x599r projector, so I?m not sure that it has an audio input source setting. At least I know the way of checking the info as I cycle through the different settings. That?s a big help. Thanks a bunch for that! I?ll do a little experimenting when I get a chance.
post #28 of 49 Old 01-27-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You are welcome.

If you have a laptop or PC running windows with a HDMI port you can get more information on the EDID profile the ViewHD created.
Extron's EDID Manager or Entech's Monitor Asset Manager can dump the EDID DDC block for the exact config provided to the PC by the ViewHD.

There are similar tools on the Mac and Linux as well.
post #29 of 49 Old 01-27-2018, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

If I hook the Shield directly to the receiver, my Audio Mode says:

PCM 16bit, Single Precision Floating Point, DD, DD+, DTS, DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD

If I hook the Shield to the ViewHD, hook output 1 to my projector, output 2 to my receiver, and set the EDID for Output 2, my Audio Mode says:

PCM 16 bit, DD

Weird
post #30 of 49 Old 01-27-2018, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If I hook the Shield directly to the receiver, my Audio Mode says:

PCM 16bit, Single Precision Floating Point, DD, DD+, DTS, DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD

If I hook the Shield to the ViewHD, hook output 1 to my projector, output 2 to my receiver, and set the EDID for Output 2, my Audio Mode says:

PCM 16 bit, DD

Weird
I had the same problem, I gave up on it. I now have the AVRKey and that doesn't work for me either. I give up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page