HDfury X4 - Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 95 Old 08-18-2018, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Regarding 144led/m * 4m total need 5V 25A power, so our devices won't be able to power that, you would need separate power supply for it.
PSU is no problem. I guess my question is: Will the X4 be configurable and allow for setting the number of LEDs used or will it be fixed as suggested in the firmware readme:

System expects the following number of LEDs per side (bottom left: 8, left:10, top:16, right: 10, bottom right: 8). Total is 52

Cheers

/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 95 Old 08-18-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 619 Post(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridahonda View Post
PSU is no problem. I guess my question is: Will the X4 be configurable and allow for setting the number of LEDs used or will it be fixed as suggested in the firmware readme:

System expects the following number of LEDs per side (bottom left: 8, left:10, top:16, right: 10, bottom right: 8). Total is 52

Cheers

/T
This is the beta setup, yes there will be option and parameters to allow various size of led strips/displays and various numbers of led per meters.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
post #33 of 95 Old 08-18-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
This is the beta setup, yes there will be option and parameters to allow various size of led strips/displays and various numbers of led per meters.
Thanks. Just ordered one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 95 Old 08-21-2018, 09:11 AM

So I got my X4. Please can I get some help with the setup needed when using with an Apple 4K TV and the Linker. So far I have SDR passthrough working OK.

HDR colours look like this:

Also frame rates of over 25Hz give me no picture or flicking screen.
post #35 of 95 Old 08-21-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I got my X4. Please can I get some help with the setup needed when using with an Apple 4K TV and the Linker. So far I have SDR passthrough working OK.

HDR colours look like this:

Also frame rates of over 25Hz give me no picture or flicking screen.

AFAIK you posted the same in discord server and already got answer for it, please stick with it and do not ask same question on 2 different locations please.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
post #36 of 95 Old 08-24-2018, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Arrow X4 HDR > SDR beta firmware UPDATE

X4 HDR > SDR beta firmware UPDATE available: http://www.hdfury.com/tools/X4_HDR_SDR_0.5_beta.zip

#####> What's new/fixed in 0.5 (beta)

1. Added fix for Sony TV, can possibly help others setup.
2. Auto send EOTF0 to avoid HDR capable TV from going in HDR mode.

post #37 of 95 Old 08-25-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
X4 HDR > SDR beta firmware UPDATE available:

#####> What's new/fixed in 0.5 (beta)

1. Added fix for Sony TV, can possibly help others setup.
2. Auto send EOTF0 to avoid HDR capable TV from going in HDR mode.
Tested this today and its working great. Looking forward to the ambilight feature.
post #38 of 95 Old 08-26-2018, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tested this today and its working great. Looking forward to the ambilight feature.
Thanx for feedback.

post #39 of 95 Old 08-30-2018, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
What about hdr to sdr on older 4k displays?
post #40 of 95 Old 08-31-2018, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
What about hdr to sdr on older 4k displays?
Only solution for those are OPPO203 or LRP, yet if they are 10.2Gpbs, then forget about it, since no solution do frame rate conversion, any 4K60 4:2:2 12b will render better in 1080p60 4:4:4 12b rather than 4K60 4:2:0 8b

post #41 of 95 Old 08-31-2018, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

New Ambient Light Demo with 12b PCH Led

Here is a quick video demo of some led strips we built with 12b color depth PCH Led.
Color reproduction accuracy will be unmatched on the market with such leds.(all ambient light solutions currently limited to 8b led)

post #42 of 95 Old 09-04-2018, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Here is a quick video demo of some led strips we built with 12b color depth PCH Led.
Color reproduction accuracy will be unmatched on the market with such leds.(all ambient light solutions currently limited to 8b led)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zk0XJtUlI4
Im hoping this is an Ok spot to ask this questions.

I had an ambient light set up a couple years ago on my 50" led tv. All of the content I watched came from Kodi which had a Hyperion app. This app allowed me to have an ambient setup but only through the Kodi app. Now I have a new TV outputting 4k and I no longer use Kodi. I am trying to avoid deteriorating the original signal too much. My Original plan was to go 1 input to 2 output splitter and feed one end to a HDMI to AV converter and have that sent to my RPI.

It seems that the HDFURY X4 might save me some headache if I am reading it correctly. My question has to do with the operation of the HDFURY X4. Is it correct for me to assume that if my original source (Shield TV) is 4K that I am going to also need a Seperate Splitter that does 4K going to me television? It seems that the HDMI output on the HDFURY X4 only outputs up to 1080p.

Realistically I can scale the Shield TV down to 1080P if need be since the actual Content that I watch is technically limited to 1080P at 30fps.....

Actual Question
  1. I know that the Beta "Ambient light solution" is not yet available but im hoping there was a rough time frame. You guys seem to work quick but if it is a 7 - 8 month timeframe that I am looking at ill probably wait it out.
  2. Is it safe to say that I will not be able to retain my original 4K resolution from the shield tv to my 4K television without a separate Splitter?
post #43 of 95 Old 09-04-2018, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimatt View Post
Im hoping this is an Ok spot to ask this questions.

I had an ambient light set up a couple years ago on my 50" led tv. All of the content I watched came from Kodi which had a Hyperion app. This app allowed me to have an ambient setup but only through the Kodi app. Now I have a new TV outputting 4k and I no longer use Kodi. I am trying to avoid deteriorating the original signal too much. My Original plan was to go 1 input to 2 output splitter and feed one end to a HDMI to AV converter and have that sent to my RPI.

It seems that the HDFURY X4 might save me some headache if I am reading it correctly. My question has to do with the operation of the HDFURY X4. Is it correct for me to assume that if my original source (Shield TV) is 4K that I am going to also need a Seperate Splitter that does 4K going to me television? It seems that the HDMI output on the HDFURY X4 only outputs up to 1080p.

Realistically I can scale the Shield TV down to 1080P if need be since the actual Content that I watch is technically limited to 1080P at 30fps.....

Actual Question
  1. I know that the Beta "Ambient light solution" is not yet available but im hoping there was a rough time frame. You guys seem to work quick but if it is a 7 - 8 month timeframe that I am looking at ill probably wait it out.
  2. Is it safe to say that I will not be able to retain my original 4K resolution from the shield tv to my 4K television without a separate Splitter?

Check diagram on latest news post on HDfury.com, it explains it.

Vertex is splitting 4K HDR/DV the following way:
First output is pass thru or upscaled
Second output is downscaled

HDfury X4 can be inserted after Vertex downscaled output, so it will take 1080p HDR in and output 1080p SDR out.

Converting 1080p HDR to 1080p SDR might not work if you are using another brand splitter/scaler than HDfury, we have currently this situation with one customer, he tried AC-SC1-AUHD from AVProConnect and EZCoo 4x2 Matrix/downscaler and X4 is having trouble picking up their output signal for conversion. This is something we can may be fix to support those third party devices, but surely not without having such devices in hands, so unless those manufacturers send us some samples, there is nothing we can do for it presently, so it's recommended that you use Vertex upfront of X4 as per diagram I mentioned above.

To answer your questions:
1. We hope to be ready for Xmas.
2. Yes of course, X4 alone doesn't support 4K

post #44 of 95 Old 09-13-2018, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello, I just got my Fury X4 and need some very basic setup instructions as I can not get it to function properly at all. I have a Vizio P75-C1 4k HDR TV. I have set the video output on my Home Theatre PC Running an Nvidia GTX 960 to 1080p60 with HDR off, It's on the most current version for drivers and Windows 10. Regardless of the Dip switch settings, I only get a downscaled 720p60 output and when I actually get it to recognize a 3D signal, I just get a green screen, either fully green or just green in the middle section of the screen when I run a 1080p24 signal, and then have to connect via Teamviewer to shut down whatever program I'm using. If I send a 720p50/60 signal, I get a top/bottom split display and the 3d does not appear to be recognized. I'm mainly using the Nvidia test app from where you enable Sterescopic 3D. I'd appreciate some rapid help from the community or HDFury, as this is a gift and I'm set to leave town the night of 9/17, and I'll have to just ship this back to Europe if I can't get it working by then. If you're wondering, I've tried every dip switch setting and Nvidia Control Panel Color/Refresh Setting for output and colorspace/depth with no change in results besides losing the picture entirely; the 1080p video signal has never passed through once and always been downscaled.
post #45 of 95 Old 09-13-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradrcr View Post
Hello, I just got my Fury X4 and need some very basic setup instructions as I can not get it to function properly at all. I have a Vizio P75-C1 4k HDR TV. I have set the video output on my Home Theatre PC Running an Nvidia GTX 960 to 1080p60 with HDR off, It's on the most current version for drivers and Windows 10. Regardless of the Dip switch settings, I only get a downscaled 720p60 output and when I actually get it to recognize a 3D signal, I just get a green screen, either fully green or just green in the middle section of the screen when I run a 1080p24 signal, and then have to connect via Teamviewer to shut down whatever program I'm using. If I send a 720p50/60 signal, I get a top/bottom split display and the 3d does not appear to be recognized. I'm mainly using the Nvidia test app from where you enable Sterescopic 3D. I'd appreciate some rapid help from the community or HDFury, as this is a gift and I'm set to leave town the night of 9/17, and I'll have to just ship this back to Europe if I can't get it working by then. If you're wondering, I've tried every dip switch setting and Nvidia Control Panel Color/Refresh Setting for output and colorspace/depth with no change in results besides losing the picture entirely; the 1080p video signal has never passed through once and always been downscaled.
As default, it ships with Scaler Firmware, it seems you want to do some 3D operation, so you might want to use 3D firmware for that.
I suggest you write to : [email protected] they will help you install and use 3Dfury firmware.

this thread is about HDR to SDR conversion firmware for X4

post #46 of 95 Old 09-13-2018, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the heads up, I thought this was just the general owners thread. FYI, I did order this as part of a package off your website with the 3D glasses and transmitter that was meant to support a 3D setup.
post #47 of 95 Old 09-13-2018, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradrcr View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I thought this was just the general owners thread. FYI, I did order this as part of a package off your website with the 3D glasses and transmitter that was meant to support a 3D setup.

I can only help with new devices and new software, 3Dfury is the first firmware that was released back in 2012, so a bit too old for me, please write to that email addy above and the guy will help you out.
One thing is sure, it cannot work as long as you are using default scaling firmware, so first step is flashing 3Dfury firmware.

post #48 of 95 Old 10-02-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 647
I have a very niche case here:

Sony GDM-C520K 21" CRT. I've been using it for years - ever since my beloved FW900 died - near perfect uniformity, color, and contrast. It renders a perfectly crisp 1920x1080/1200/1440 image at 90-120Hz, but only from a GPU with a dedicated RAMDAC. I have upgraded to a better graphics card that lacks analog output, therefore I have to use an adapter. To date, I have only found slow RAMDAC adapters that max out at 60Hz for 1080p or lower resolutions. The one I'm using now (DisplayPort to VGA cable, actively powered by the DP port) is able to provide a maximum output resolution of 1280x1024, however I can run it at 120Hz. Combined with resolution scaling, I can achieve a very high rendered resolution with a high refresh rate, it's so buttery smooth, but ultimately the output resolution is a bit too low for my tastes.

I have seen hints that the X4 RAMDAC has an adjustable clockspeed and I want to know how high it can be pushed. Basically, if I can achieve - at a minimum - a VGA(D-Sub) output of [email protected], then I will happily order this product. Any help here would be appreciated.

P.S. Please don't tell me to upgrade my display. I have purchased and returned several of the best rated G-Sync monitors and they all fall short (except in size). I would rather put a fraction of that money toward a quality converter/adapter. Maybe once MicroLED is perfected or my CRT explodes and I can't find a replacement, then I'll upgrade my display. "From my cold dead hand..."
post #49 of 95 Old 10-02-2018, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
I have a very niche case here:

Sony GDM-C520K 21" CRT. I've been using it for years - ever since my beloved FW900 died - near perfect uniformity, color, and contrast. It renders a perfectly crisp 1920x1080/1200/1440 image at 90-120Hz, but only from a GPU with a dedicated RAMDAC. I have upgraded to a better graphics card that lacks analog output, therefore I have to use an adapter. To date, I have only found slow RAMDAC adapters that max out at 60Hz for 1080p or lower resolutions. The one I'm using now (DisplayPort to VGA cable, actively powered by the DP port) is able to provide a maximum output resolution of 1280x1024, however I can run it at 120Hz. Combined with resolution scaling, I can achieve a very high rendered resolution with a high refresh rate, it's so buttery smooth, but ultimately the output resolution is a bit too low for my tastes.

I have seen hints that the X4 RAMDAC has an adjustable clockspeed and I want to know how high it can be pushed. Basically, if I can achieve - at a minimum - a VGA(D-Sub) output of [email protected], then I will happily order this product. Any help here would be appreciated.

P.S. Please don't tell me to upgrade my display. I have purchased and returned several of the best rated G-Sync monitors and they all fall short (except in size). I would rather put a fraction of that money toward a quality converter/adapter. Maybe once MicroLED is perfected or my CRT explodes and I can't find a replacement, then I'll upgrade my display. "From my cold dead hand..."

X4 is max 1080p72, it can do 1080p96 but only by removing black bar and flashing active pixels from a movie. So I don't think it will be a good match for you.
What you really need is HDfury X5 (or HDfury5 or HDfury V) which is not yet available and we don't have a date for it atm.

the need you have is similar to other need from other people, yet to make everybody happy at a reasonable cost, we need powerful FPGA at affordable cost and there is not any at the moment at decent price. especially since you need huge amount of ram at the same time.

post #50 of 95 Old 10-02-2018, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
X4 is max 1080p72, it can do 1080p96 but only by removing black bar and flashing active pixels from a movie.
Would you please clarify what the underlined portion means? Are you referring to letterbox black bars? So it passes a 96Hz 2.35:1 image instead of 16:9? I am using this for normal PC desktop use and gaming, not only movies.

Quote:
What you really need is HDfury X5 (or HDfury5 or HDfury V) which is not yet available and we don't have a date for it atm.
Thank you for the information, I look forward to it.

As a general question, how can this old 400MHz RAMDAC technology be so expensive if it is still made and sold on graphics cards like the $40 NVIDIA GT 710? Is it the additional processing/scaling of the FPGA that adds cost?
post #51 of 95 Old 10-02-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
Would you please clarify what the underlined portion means? Are you referring to letterbox black bars? So it passes a 96Hz 2.35:1 image instead of 16:9? I am using this for normal PC desktop use and gaming, not only movies.

Thank you for the information, I look forward to it.

As a general question, how can this old 400MHz RAMDAC technology be so expensive if it is still made and sold on graphics cards like the $40 NVIDIA GT 710? Is it the additional processing/scaling of the FPGA that adds cost?

When you sell hundred thousands if not millions, then you don't use FPGA, but you use ASIC, the difference in price could be something like 100 times cheaper.
Unfortunately, we are too small as a company to produce any ASIC.

Also in our position, we cannot do one device just to cover the 400MHz market needs, like your request. We don't have enough customers for this, so any of our devices must have multi purpose to attract a wider audience. so our plan currently is to offer 600MHz FPGA features once 600MHz FPGA get cheaper, this can include thing such as frame rate conversion in 4K, HDR to SDR conversion for 4K, etc... (for ex, X4 can do HDR to SDR conversion but only for 1080p)

Today, one example of 600MHz FPGA that might do what you want (and still I'm not sure, you should ask them) is LRP (Lumagen Radiance Pro) but cost about 4000$, so you see how expensive it can be.

When you play movies at 1080p, you don't have full 1080p active pixel because of black bar on top and bottom of the movie. so in this particular case, X4 can flash 4 times the active pixel, means 24Hz becomes 96Hz, but if source is full screen game or full screen video, then you will lost a part of the picture, that's why I mentioned, it's a solution, but only if you play movies, not for games. Also and anyway... you won't find much game offering 24Hz output, that's why I believe that it is not a good solution for you.
nathanddrews likes this.

post #52 of 95 Old 10-02-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up X4 Ambient Light cable completed.

Here is a quick update on our 4K HDR and LLDV Ambient Light solution.
We have completed the cabling that will connect X4 to our LED strip (using 12b PCH LED, world first!)

There is an optional power input in case the configuration of your LED strip require more power than X4 can supply.
Mini jack connect to X4 AUX output
and other connector goes to X4 Emitter output port.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x4_led_cable3_for_ext_power.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	2462916   Click image for larger version

Name:	x4_led_cable2_to_X4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	2462918   Click image for larger version

Name:	x4_led_cable.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	2462920  

post #53 of 95 Old 10-29-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick videos showing install setup

How to install HDFury X4 mood light LED strip
How to install HDFury X4 mood lighting in 2k TV mode
How to install HDFury X4 mood lighting in 4k TV mode

post #54 of 95 Old 11-15-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is there any hardware different between the original 3DFury and the latest HDFury X4?

I'm seeing a few older 3DFury's for sale that I might want to try to use for HDR-to-SDR tonemapping but I'm not sure if the HDFury X4 has a faster FPGA (ie. no a/v drop-outs) or any other differences?
post #55 of 95 Old 11-16-2018, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
Is there any hardware different between the original 3DFury and the latest HDFury X4?

I'm seeing a few older 3DFury's for sale that I might want to try to use for HDR-to-SDR tonemapping but I'm not sure if the HDFury X4 has a faster FPGA (ie. no a/v drop-outs) or any other differences?
No difference except enclosure of early unit does not have labels and marking for Scaler firmware since they were made only for the 3Dfury firmware at that time.

post #56 of 95 Old 11-16-2018, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks very much for the information!

I might have asked this before (and I apologize if I did), but is there any benefit to 4K HDR to 1080p SDR? ...or is this only to provide compatibility for older devices?

It sounds like lots of people were excited for the OPPO 203 HDR to SDR tonemapping (and the HDfury feature) so I'm guessing there must be some kind of benefit besides compatibility?
post #57 of 95 Old 11-16-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks very much for the information!

I might have asked this before (and I apologize if I did), but is there any benefit to 4K HDR to 1080p SDR? ...or is this only to provide compatibility for older devices?

It sounds like lots of people were excited for the OPPO 203 HDR to SDR tonemapping (and the HDfury feature) so I'm guessing there must be some kind of benefit besides compatibility?

Not sure what you mean by that, if you don't have HDR > SDR converter, then you cannot downscale 4K HDR and have a 1080p display render it with correct colors, or a streaming capture device, or ambient light...
so it's NEEDED to have a correct picture, otherwise the picture is washed out.

most people were excited for HDR to SDR tonemapping of OPPO203 for a few reasons: because they have BT2020 SDR only display or because the HDR mode of their display is not good enough in their eyes.
So once again, if you have BT2020 SDR only display and send HDR to it, then you have washed out color until you use HDR > SDR converter.(or tonemapping)

PS: if that is the question: 4K content downscaled to 1080p gives better results than native 1080p content.

post #58 of 95 Old 11-16-2018, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm wondering about the PS4 Pro and X-Box One X. I'm sharing them between a 4K60 HDR monitor and a 1080p TV.

HDfury Vertex input #1 = PS4
HDfury Vertex input #2 = X-Box
HDfury Vertex output #1 = 4K60 HDR
HDfury Vertex output #2 = 1080p TV
(NOTE: I might have the number wrong, but I do have the 1080p connected to the correct downscale port)

On the PS4 and X-Box, I can simply disable HDR for both displays and they will both send SDR content.

However, I'm wondering if I leave HDR enabled, and then connect a HDfury X4 to convert HDR->SDR if that will improve the display on the 1080p TV.

Does that make sense?
post #59 of 95 Old 11-16-2018, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm wondering about the PS4 Pro and X-Box One X. I'm sharing them between a 4K60 HDR monitor and a 1080p TV.

HDfury Vertex input #1 = PS4
HDfury Vertex input #2 = X-Box
HDfury Vertex output #1 = 4K60 HDR
HDfury Vertex output #2 = 1080p TV
(NOTE: I might have the number wrong, but I do have the 1080p connected to the correct downscale port)

On the PS4 and X-Box, I can simply disable HDR for both displays and they will both send SDR content.

However, I'm wondering if I leave HDR enabled, and then connect a HDfury X4 to convert HDR->SDR if that will improve the display on the 1080p TV.

Does that make sense?

It depends the source, the content and the display.. for ex, some content are only available deep color in HDR, that will give you better results.
Usually people check what looks best for them based on how their display render this or that particular mode (especially true for PJ)
It also depends on what YOU prefer.

ex: if your display is RGB 8b max, then it won't give you anything more

post #60 of 95 Old 11-20-2018, 01:21 PM

I just received my X4 today and it works flawless together with the vertex to provide a 1080 SDR image for my ambilight grabber.
Will the X4 also support Dolby Vision to SDR in a future update?
Regards
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page