HDfury X4 - Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 100 Old 10-22-2019, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDFury X4 question

I own a vertex and the DR HDMI products and they work great.

I am considering the X4 but want to make sure it will be money well spent and it will actually improve my situation.

Situation:

1. I am in the process of building a golf simulator in basement. I have the projector; Optoma WU515TST. I could not get a 4K projector as I needed a short throw with significant horizontal and vertical lens shift capabilities due to placement constraints. The screen is 12 feet by 8.5 feet.

2. This is a WUXGA projector with a max resolution of 1920x1200. For the simulator software (foresight FSX 2018, I have the GCQuad) the images are OK but a little soft. This is hooked up directly from PC via display port

3. I also have it hooked up via HDMI to Verizon Fios, so i can watch sports and maybe the odd movie in large screen. I have an 82 inch Samsung with full atmos setup in living room for most movie viewing but the large screen for sports is kind of fun. The Verizon feed on the projector is pretty soft and this is primarily what i was hoping to improve.

4. So if I bought the X4 I have the following questions:

a). Would it improve the Verizon experience in any meaningful way?
b). If I am reading the specs right it would at least allow me to scale the Verizon image to full 1920x1200, is that right?
c). If I hooked up the PC via HDMI to the projector would it improve the picture quality any?

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to the Optoma specs: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-WU515TST.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 10-22-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 621 Post(s)
Quoted: 4652 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghRed View Post
I own a vertex and the DR HDMI products and they work great.

I am considering the X4 but want to make sure it will be money well spent and it will actually improve my situation.

Situation:

1. I am in the process of building a golf simulator in basement. I have the projector; Optoma WU515TST. I could not get a 4K projector as I needed a short throw with significant horizontal and vertical lens shift capabilities due to placement constraints. The screen is 12 feet by 8.5 feet.

2. This is a WUXGA projector with a max resolution of 1920x1200. For the simulator software (foresight FSX 2018, I have the GCQuad) the images are OK but a little soft. This is hooked up directly from PC via display port

3. I also have it hooked up via HDMI to Verizon Fios, so i can watch sports and maybe the odd movie in large screen. I have an 82 inch Samsung with full atmos setup in living room for most movie viewing but the large screen for sports is kind of fun. The Verizon feed on the projector is pretty soft and this is primarily what i was hoping to improve.

4. So if I bought the X4 I have the following questions:

a). Would it improve the Verizon experience in any meaningful way?
b). If I am reading the specs right it would at least allow me to scale the Verizon image to full 1920x1200, is that right?
c). If I hooked up the PC via HDMI to the projector would it improve the picture quality any?

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to the Optoma specs: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-WU515TST.htm

a) Yes if Verizon is 1920x1080 and you want 1920x1200 then it will help for that.
b) Yes
c) Yes, but all depends what the original signal actually is.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
post #93 of 100 Old 10-23-2019, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can you provide any update on an estimated time frame for when the additional HDR->SDR tone mapping profiles that are available in the Diva will be available on the X4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 100 Old 10-23-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmwright View Post
Can you provide any update on an estimated time frame for when the additional HDR->SDR tone mapping profiles that are available in the Diva will be available on the X4?
No sorry, I cannot do that currently, too many work on the table and a bunch of new updates coming for Maestro/Diva/Vertex2 first, as soon as I can estimate, i'll post it.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
post #95 of 100 Old 11-23-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Talking 30% OFF on EVERYTHING

Black Friday starts now, till end of the month.

Black Friday week is starting now and will continue till the end of the month.
This year, we have created a 30% OFF coupon code that you can use to purchase anything from our catalog. However there is one drawback, it is only available for the first 100 purchase. So hurry up !

Coupon code to use in shopping cart: BLACK30

post #96 of 100 Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just received my HDF4 today. While the posts of this thread demonstrate the HDF4 can be many things to many people, my needs are much simpler. Since I will be using this unit outside my HT setup (but still on a Sony 4k tv) I am not concerned with lighting, breaking out audio, non-hdmi solutions.

1) Am I over simplifying it to say, the default DIP switch settings will be fine,so I just need to set the unit to HDTV mode and adjust the output as needed?
2) Is the output constant once set or is it impacted by the input source? By this I mean, if the output is set to 1080p60 and the input varies from 480i-1080i (Directv receiver output) does it impact the signal sent to the tv?
3) Should the firmware be updated before using the unit?

Sony XBR-65Z9D | Marantz AV7702MK II | Monoprice Monolith 7 channel Amp | SVS: Prime Tower(2), Ultra Center, Prime Elevation(4), PB-2000 Sub | OPPO UDP-203 Ultra HD | Nvidia Shield 17/19 Pro | HDfury X4
post #97 of 100 Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolmstd View Post
Just received my HDF4 today. While the posts of this thread demonstrate the HDF4 can be many things to many people, my needs are much simpler. Since I will be using this unit outside my HT setup (but still on a Sony 4k tv) I am not concerned with lighting, breaking out audio, non-hdmi solutions.

1) Am I over simplifying it to say, the default DIP switch settings will be fine,so I just need to set the unit to HDTV mode and adjust the output as needed?
2) Is the output constant once set or is it impacted by the input source? By this I mean, if the output is set to 1080p60 and the input varies from 480i-1080i (Directv receiver output) does it impact the signal sent to the tv?
3) Should the firmware be updated before using the unit?

1) Yes should be fine by default, if not verify with usermanual that they are set to default.
2) Yes you set output and then anything you input will be output at the resolution you have set. if display report no signal, check that aspect ratio is correct, you cycle thru available aspect ratio by pressing both top buttons simultaneously.
3) If you bought it from us no, but you might still need to update if input Is hdcp and output device does not support hdcp, in this case, send email to [email protected] to get files and instructions.

post #98 of 100 Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

@HDfury
Thanks for the quick response (on a Saturday night no less). Hopefully people realize that this kind of support is not common. It is your support that makes a complicated device usable to the average consumer...
HDfury likes this.

Sony XBR-65Z9D | Marantz AV7702MK II | Monoprice Monolith 7 channel Amp | SVS: Prime Tower(2), Ultra Center, Prime Elevation(4), PB-2000 Sub | OPPO UDP-203 Ultra HD | Nvidia Shield 17/19 Pro | HDfury X4
post #99 of 100 Old Today, 04:23 PM

Installed HDF4 today. As anticipated, no issues that I can see using the default settings of the unit. Sony is reporting 1080p on all Directv channels reviewed. Removed the unit and scaled back the Directv resolution options to just allow 720p, verified it with the TV. Reinstalled the unit and verified with the TV it was now 1080p again. Confirms the units ability to up-scale on the fly, very nice. One surprise was with the TV, I had understood that if the TV received a 1080p signal, it would up-scale it to FULL HD but maybe both terms mean the same thing...

TV does not report the aspect ratio of the incoming signal. The HDF4 does not report what aspect ratio is currently active. Found one combination that did not work but can not determine if one of the other options are better than any of the rest since I don't know what the current aspect ratio is. Have not been able to determine what version of firmware is installed in the unit. Not sure I need to know since things are working but still...

post #100 of 100 Old Today, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolmstd View Post
Installed HDF4 today. As anticipated, no issues that I can see using the default settings of the unit. Sony is reporting 1080p on all Directv channels reviewed. Removed the unit and scaled back the Directv resolution options to just allow 720p, verified it with the TV. Reinstalled the unit and verified with the TV it was now 1080p again. Confirms the units ability to up-scale on the fly, very nice. One surprise was with the TV, I had understood that if the TV received a 1080p signal, it would up-scale it to FULL HD but maybe both terms mean the same thing...

TV does not report the aspect ratio of the incoming signal. The HDF4 does not report what aspect ratio is currently active. Found one combination that did not work but can not determine if one of the other options are better than any of the rest since I don't know what the current aspect ratio is. Have not been able to determine what version of firmware is installed in the unit. Not sure I need to know since things are working but still...
Yes 1080p and FHD is the same thing, just like 720p = HD or 2160p = UHD.

If you need special firmware send email to tech+support[at]tutanota.com

The good aspect ratio is usually the one that doesn't crop anything from the picture. so just play a content you know well and compare.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page