AVS Forum banner

HDFury Diva - Owners thread

356K views 3K replies 258 participants last post by  DennisTheMenace81 
#1 · (Edited)
Post all questions for HDFury Diva in this thread. Please alert me if any information is wrong and I'll correct it as soon as I'm able to.
I've gathered all information I could find, most of which is based on the Maestro thread

##### FAQ #####​

Where can I order this device?
What is the HDFury Diva?
It is basically a Maestro, without HDBaseT, but with an extra ouput. A quick feature overview:

• HDMI 2.0 18 Gbps 600 Mhz UHD device. HDCP 2.2 compatible.
  • 4 HDMI 2.0 inputs, 3 HDMI 2.0 outputs.
  • Main/First output can passthrough or upscale the video signal up to UHD (18 Gbps capable). 2nd output can downscale. It can carry 1080p SDR video + audio. The 3rd output is for audio only (video is black frame 720/1080p) and supports passthrough of all audio formats currently in existence. Remember: this is a video device, it does not touch the audio
  • Full HDR/HLG/LLDV/DV/HDR10+ support.
  • More advanced HDR fixing capabilities (see screenshot)
  • TMDS switching for all inputs. Most devices send +5V on their outputs when they are active. But the ATV4K, for instance, does this even when it is switched off. Diva will use clever pixel clock frequencies analysis permanently running in the background and will auto-determine whenever any connected device is sending any valid signal
  • Full LAN control via the embedded and brand new HDFury webserver. The need for a dedicated computer with special driver to run configuration software or update is now a thing of the past! Only a device with a browser is required.
  • Diva will expose more scaling parameters than Vertex as the latter has memory constraints that have been reached.
  • It can do UHD HDR to 1080P SDR conversion
  • RS232, L/R stereo or Optical 5.1 output, IR TX, IR RX, IR sensor, IR window, OLED display and 4 buttons on the side allowing to enter/exit and perform change in the device system menu.
  • Optional purchases: lag tester and ambient light

Diva tone mapping:

It can do UHD HDR to 1080p SDR. It cannot do UHD HDR to UHD SDR​
When will Diva be available?

HDFury is aiming to ship in Feb. 2019. Pre-ordering will be possible in a few weeks.
Will there be a trade-in discount if you already own a HDFury product?

No, not at this time.

I read DV is limited to 300 Mhz. Is this true?

NO. The limtation is only applicable to Maestro if HDbaseT transport is used.
300MHz = 10.2Gbps = best/max 4K24 4:2:2: 12b (for movies) or 4K24 4:4:4 8b (for pc/game)
600MHz = 18Gbps = best/max 4K60 4:2:2 12b (for movies) or 4K60 4:4:4 8b (for pc/game)​

edits:
2018/12/10:
- corrected number of outputs and their goal
- Clarified DV (Dolby Vision support)
- clarified that lag tester and ambient light are optional purchases

2018/12/12
- new info on discounts
- new shipping info

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
@HDfury

I'm a bit confused re-reading the Maestro thread. The 2nd output on Diva, is it audio only or can it do audio + 1080P SDR video?

#3 · (Edited)
@HDfury

I'm a bit confused re-reading the Maestro thread. The 2nd output on Diva, is it audio only or can it do audio + 1080P SDR video?

No problem, you can ask any question. Thank you for making this thread.

DIVA have 4 in / 3 out

For the outputs:

1 Full 4K HDR/HLG/HDR10+/DV/LLDV
1 1080p SDR to feed ANY SDR 1080p display or AVR.
1 Full HDMI Audio with black frame 720p/1080p to feed ANY AVR

All outputs offer full audio.
Just the special audio output does not offer video (black frame video)

Ambient light and Lag tester are two add on that you can purchase separately or with the device when ordering/pre ordering.

#11 ·
@claw what do you mean by "dynamic tone mapping?".Actual frame by frame analysis or just looking at dynamic metadata (HDR10+ or DV). The latter should be a lot easier with regards to processing power.

#14 · (Edited)
@claw what do you mean by "dynamic tone mapping?".Actual frame by frame analysis or just looking at dynamic metadata (HDR10+ or DV). The latter should be a lot easier with regards to processing power.
Dynamic tone mapping is usually associated to frame by frame analysis.

JVC's new projector line will look at metadata similar to how the Panasonic players do for SDR/BT2020 output mode. JVC calls this Automatic Tone Mapping. I kind of like that term for metadata based tone mapping.

I would leave Dolby Vision tone mapping out of this; that is a secret between Dolby and the TV manufacturers. No existing external player can perform any tone mapping on Dolby Vision. And as HDfury mentioned in the Integral thread, HDR10+ can have dynamic metadata plus another optional SEI layer (Supplementary Enhancement Information) that tells TVs how to tone map; similar to Dolby Vision. I believe that HDR10+ can even have static metadata plus an SEI layer.

I believe that MadVR used with PCs with high-end graphics cards is the only external solution for dynamic tone mapping today. I think Lumagen is working on an implementation; maybe already complete.

By the way, Lumagen's metadata based tone mapping allows for MaxCLL value overrides similar to what we can now do with the HDfury Vertex.

Since we mentioned Panasonic, the HDR Optimizer has 2 modes:

HDR output mode where it uses the connected TV max luminance setting and the metadata values to tone map the content highlights beyond what the TV is capable of to a range that is displayable and also modify the metadata so that MaxDML and MaxCLL reflect the tone mapping result. TVs get HDR content in this mode and apply their normal tone mapping. I like to call this "Tone mapping pre-processing" since HDR is still sent to the TV, not SDR.

SDR/BT2020-BT709 output mode that I referred to in my previous post where the HDR Optimizer uses metadata values to adjust the tone mapping.

#20 ·
It would be nice if it could log the frame rate changes if they go below or above a set threshold. Just to verify whether a certain source is stable.

#24 · (Edited)
Alright, no problem. Do you by chance have a video of the frame-rate counter/tracker OSD in action then with a game console (PS4?Xbox) playing a game? If not, could you post one when you get around to making a sample video of the lag tester? And is the 2nd HDMI output user configurable? Are you able to set it to match the 1st HDMI output for pass-thru or upscale of source or is it only able to downscale & do HDR->SDR?

#25 ·
You can refer to any Vertex video or picture.
Main output can upscale and pass thru up to 18Gbps
Second output pass thru 1080p and always downscale 4K to 1080p and convert HDR to SDR if sink is SDR 1080p

This device is NOT a 18Gbps splitter, we already released the best 18Gbps splitter out there with Vertex or Integral2, so you can add one at Diva output if needed.

#34 · (Edited)
#35 ·
#45 ·
Diva Lag Tester - First test

Attached a short video clip (.MOV zipped) showing first test of lag tester concept for Diva (and Vertex 2)

You can see how bad a panel is to move from black to white, you can see that on scope, it should normally be a clean edge from low to high.
The Waweform is from black to white to black to white ... etc..

Attachments

#46 · (Edited)
HDMI2.1 eARC breakthrough for Maestro/Diva !

As stated previously in Maestro thread, our team have done the impossible once again ;)
We are extremely proud to announce that Maestro (followed by Diva shortly) will be the world first 3rd party device to offer eARC and ARC sound extraction and forwarding to any AVR via its HDMI audio output !
HDMI2.1 eARC feature is now a reality on Maestro, tested with Dolby Atmos high bit rate over True HD, perfectly working !

Any ARC or eARC from TV can now be extracted automatically and forwarded to Maestro TX central HDMI audio output (and soon from Diva HDMI audio output) that can feed any AVR at its input when it is compatible with such Audio signal.

This feature will also be available separately as well through the long awaited and promised device called ARC-Key that will be released later this year.

#47 ·
HDMI2.1 eARC feature is now a reality on Maestro, tested with Dolby Atmos high bit rate over True HD, perfectly working !
Any ARC or eARC from TV can now be extracted automatically and forwarded to Maestro TX central HDMI audio output (and soon from Diva HDMI audio output) that can feed any AVR at its input when it is compatible with such Audio signal.
Does this mean you have a Sony A9F or Z9F to test eARC? I think they might be the only TVs available yet with eARC support.

#49 ·
DIVA pitures and logo

Please find DIVA pictures and DIVA logo in attachment.

Maestro/Diva will be world first devices to offer and probably to ever offer:

- TMDS/pixel clock switching, sole switch in the world capable of autoswitching sources such as ATV4K, X1X, Shield or any others sources devices who keep sending +5v in standby and that no switcher in the world can autoswitch.
- World first and sole device in the world capable of extracting ARC and especially eARC up to Atmos high bitrate over True HD from capable eARC TV and forward to any AVR input (via 720p/1080p self generated stream)
- World first RS232 editable commands sender based on content type (that's Manni JVC macro open to any RS232 capable display)

Maestro/Diva are now effectively combining Vertex + AVR-Key + upcoming ARC-Key + more inputs + webserver + etc...

+ All DIVA unique features :
- Lag Tester Add On
- Embedded HDR > SDR converter
- Ambient Light Add On that works for 4K HDR/LLDV with 12b PCH Led accuracy.

Attachments

#50 ·
Reposting here for context:

@HDfury - Is there any possibility at all to do image based aspect ratio detection on this or other HDfury products (detect position of black bars)? I know you have FPGA in some of them but I don't know if it has access to pixel data or not. It is a really useful feature for driving an electric masking projector screen, anamorphic lens setup, etc.
Let's assume we can do aspect ratio detection or position of black bars, what's the next step ? just display the information of the ratio somewhere ? or something else ?
Maestro won't do that, but Diva eventually could. Since instead of real time 18Gbps analysis (which requires LRP) we can do same analysis on a downscaled stream and that won't alter the results.
So may be discuss that in Diva thread since it will never be possible on Maestro.
As you say, it should work fine on a lower resolution downscaled version of the video.

Once you have detected the black bars what you would ideally do is use that information to send RS232 or perhaps IP commands to control an electrics masking projector screen, to move the masks to correct position, and perhaps also to move an anamorphic lens infront of the projector lens and change the projector lens memories. Should also have capability to query bar information for custom applications.

The aspect ratio detection is available in the Lumagen Pro, but all the control aspects have to be implemented elsewhere. I have a Lumagen Pro and am using this function, I have a Raspberry PI hooked up to serial port on Lumagen to parse the information and set up my system. Would be nice to have other options.

There is at least one member on this forum who might have another use for this; @Dj Dee has a full-shut-off shutter he uses to give full fade to black for black screens during projection. He has some quite complicated electronics to detect the black screen and then move his shutter in place.

---

As an aside, I was under the impression that DIVA was just MAESTRO without HDBT... but it seems like there is some architectural difference internally which makes some things possible on DIVA that can't be done on MAESTRO?

#51 ·
Reposting here for context:

There is at least one member on this forum who might have another use for this; @Dj Dee has a full-shut-off shutter he uses to give full fade to black for black screens during projection. He has some quite complicated electronics to detect the black screen and then move his shutter in place.

---
Hi bobof
The shutter have its own signal from my receiver just the same as to the Projector. So signal to projector is normal straight from my marantz.

I use a Veritex to make the shutter to understand the same signal to the shutter as the AVfoundry os to old, this for 4K 4:4:4 and so on.
A AVfoundry is programed to detect black together with some other programed component that i don't know what is. This measures constantly for signal that is 0,0 Ire in the film together with the AVfoundry. When 0 IRE is detected shuts within just some milliseconds and opens the same way when not 0,0. You result perfect :)

Reactions: bobof
#53 ·
Question on the applicability to this product, or maybe another HDF product for my very unique purpose.

I’ll warn you in advance this is a very specific application.

I’m looking to possibly employ the use of a MiniDSP Nano Dirac Live processing unit. I’m also running an older Pre Pro that doesn’t accept HDCP2.2. The Nano needs 7.1 PCM and it needs a video signal to work, no greater then 1080 and 1.4 HDCP

So looking for this or another device, that is going to take the great output from my Panasonic UB820, my Apple TV 4K and my Roku Deluxe, switch between the 3 (could be limited to two if need be), separate the HDCP2.2 18Gbps 4K HDR 60fps 4:4:4 video of the selected input and send it via one output directly to my JVC RS400, and then separate the 7.1 PCM audio stream and a combined HD1.4a Hd video signal (MiniDSP needs this in the stream again to process the audio) and send it to the MiniDSP and then to my Non HDCP2.2 PrePro for audio assignment to my 7.1 XLR outputs.

What this does for me is gives me switching for 2-3 4K HDCP devices on my Jurassic pre-pro, gives me 7.1 Dirac Live room correction technology for those sources, and allows me to keep my current PrePro.

If you’re wondering I’ve decided to stick to 7.1 for a while due to somewhat low ceilings and sound dampening acoustic tiles as the ceiling (which would null any reflections of Atmos upfiring speakers). Not going to chase that format yet given those limitations.

Any added extra bonuses I get for the JVC video is a plus. Maybe audio or video felt to time align the signals may be required. However with the Panasonic UB820 tone mapping and SDR output it’s doing pretty fine on its own.

Thanks for the read on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#61 ·
Thank you. How many inputs will the Vertex 2 have? I read that it will be cheaper and I won't have any 1080p SDR in my chain, so I'm wondering if this devices is overkill. I'm simply trying to get one device to handle my switching for up to 4 inputs to pass 4k HDR to my TV and a separate audio out to handle HD audio to my soundbar. Is the Diva the only device in your product line that can do this? Is this the best and economically practical method to achieve this?

#65 ·
Does Diva pass 3D?

Can it upscale 3D?

#75 ·
Want to buy one of these new items Maestro/Diva/Vertex2 - do you also recommend hdmi cable lenght of minimal 6 ft and max 12 ft for all these new upcoming gear? Do they apply for the input or output hdmi cable?

#76 ·
Copper cable min 6ft max 12ft, that's not our recommendation it's the industry recommendation. however we do recommend some brands: KableDirekt, Bluejeanscable or HDfury.
Recommendation apply to any HDMI link that you expect to be used for 600MHz/18Gbps transmission.

Longer distance use active or fiber or >CAT6A thru Maestro HDBT.

#77 ·
Diva Lag Tester now fully implemented and functional

As you can see on attached picture, OSD report lag test results, you can set three different locations for test.
Each location is offset correctly with respect to the starting edge
All controlled from the web page
Also ambient light is ported and working on Diva.

Pre Order page coming very soon now.

Attachments

#78 ·
As you can see on attached picture, OSD report lag test results, you can set three different locations for test.
Each location is offset correctly with respect to the starting edge
All controlled from the web page
Also ambient light is ported and working on Diva.

Pre Order page coming very soon now.
Looking forward to information on how the Ambilight works! I have a Vertex that is working great but have been investigating adding Ambilight to my setup. Lots of ways but many are either too expensive or too “kludgy”. Diva sits in the perfect spot of the video chain to support Ambilight.

#82 ·
Diva pre order is coming soon.

Just a quick update to let you know that Diva pre order page should be available soon.

In this regard, some information:

1. Diva Input Lag Tester will always be INCLUDED with any Diva unit, during or after pre order.
2. Diva Ambient Light (any of the current three different length available to match your screen size) will be INCLUDED during pre order (it will become a paid option after pre order period)

Pre Order period will be short, so be ready !

#90 ·
Around MAY

Will this upscale 1080i/720p and lower resolutions to 4k. Or is it only 1080P to 4k like the Vertex?

Like Vertex/Integral2: Only FHDUHD, or 1080p 2150p or 4K 2K

For any conversion within HDMI1.x domain, use HDfury X4

@HDfury Just found this thread. I think the Diva is what I've been looking for and need. I'm using a DreamScreen for my bias/ambient lighting. Currently I have my Shield, AppleTV, and blu-ray plugged into it and then it goes to my AVR. The set-up has been working well but the DreamScreen only does HDR10 and doesn't support DV. Since I bought a TV that supports DV now I'd like to start using it.

If I understand the Diva correctly, I can plug everything into it and then use output 1 to my AVR to get get 4k HDR and DV along with Atmos and DTS:X audio. Then have output 2 send the 1080p SDR signal to the DreamScreen to run the lights. Is the Diva the best product of yours for this scenario?

I'll be interested to see how well the Ambient Light add-on works compared to the DreamScreen too. If it matches it then I could move the DS to a different TV.

There is no device in the world that can convert DV colors to be rendered by any ambient light system so you can forget about that. When playing DV content, ambient light will never get proper colors.
What you can support is HDR or LLDV and of course any SDR that dreamscreen already support.

Anyway, yes setup description is correct, all sources are input, audio out to AVR, main HDMI out to TV and 1080p SDR to ambient light (or to AVR and then AVR output to dreamscreen)

PS: you can run/drive 2 ledstrips from Diva ambient light.

#89 ·
@HDfury Just found this thread. I think the Diva is what I've been looking for and need. I'm using a DreamScreen for my bias/ambient lighting. Currently I have my Shield, AppleTV, and blu-ray plugged into it and then it goes to my AVR. The set-up has been working well but the DreamScreen only does HDR10 and doesn't support DV. Since I bought a TV that supports DV now I'd like to start using it.

If I understand the Diva correctly, I can plug everything into it and then use output 1 to my AVR to get get 4k HDR and DV along with Atmos and DTS:X audio. Then have output 2 send the 1080p SDR signal to the DreamScreen to run the lights. Is the Diva the best product of yours for this scenario?

I'll be interested to see how well the Ambient Light add-on works compared to the DreamScreen too. If it matches it then I could move the DS to a different TV.