HDMI to component 1080i - cheap options? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-06-2019, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 76
HDMI to component 1080i - cheap options?

Hi friends,

I need to convert the HDMI output from an Xfinity Xi3 to component. Don't want to spend a fortune to do it, so a new HDFury version isn't an option.

I'm not new to the forum or the hobby....I've had HDFury models to convert HDMI for use with a couple different CRT projectors, and owned pretty much every DVDO scaler made over the years. I just need something simple and cheap for this application.

For those interested, here's what I'm trying to do: I have a Russound CA series whole house audio system that will do IR transmission. (So I can change channels, etc. using the cable box remote in every room in the house.) I use one audio source to transmit the audio from a cable box to every room in the house. To get TV signal to each room, I use the component video outputs from the cable box to feed a set of video distribution amps. These amps feed several flat panel TVs throughout my home. Kind of a poor man's way to get HDTV and sound to each room. (I did this long before HDMI distribution amps and switchers were available, so the cabling is RG-6, not Cat 5 or 6.) This system works very well, has worked for many years, and is pretty much bulletproof. No HDMI handshake issues, etc.

The only reason I want to swap out the current cable box (that has component outs) to a box that only has HDMI outs is to get the Netflix & Amazon streaming capability, and the pause capabilities of the newer boxes. Because of this, spending more than a hundred bucks doesn't make much sense. More than that, and I'll just invest the money in pulling CAT 6 and HDMI distribution gear.

I've seen some converters on Amazon, but don't know if they work well, or at all.

Suggestions?

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-06-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 551 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
Hi friends,

I need to convert the HDMI output from an Xfinity Xi3 to component. Don't want to spend a fortune to do it, so a new HDFury version isn't an option.

I'm not new to the forum or the hobby....I've had HDFury models to convert HDMI for use with a couple different CRT projectors, and owned pretty much every DVDO scaler made over the years. I just need something simple and cheap for this application.

For those interested, here's what I'm trying to do: I have a Russound CA series whole house audio system that will do IR transmission. (So I can change channels, etc. using the cable box remote in every room in the house.) I use one audio source to transmit the audio from a cable box to every room in the house. To get TV signal to each room, I use the component video outputs from the cable box to feed a set of video distribution amps. These amps feed several flat panel TVs throughout my home. Kind of a poor man's way to get HDTV and sound to each room. (I did this long before HDMI distribution amps and switchers were available, so the cabling is RG-6, not Cat 5 or 6.) This system works very well, has worked for many years, and is pretty much bulletproof. No HDMI handshake issues, etc.

The only reason I want to swap out the current cable box (that has component outs) to a box that only has HDMI outs is to get the Netflix & Amazon streaming capability, and the pause capabilities of the newer boxes. Because of this, spending more than a hundred bucks doesn't make much sense. More than that, and I'll just invest the money in pulling CAT 6 and HDMI distribution gear.

I've seen some converters on Amazon, but don't know if they work well, or at all.

Suggestions?

You first need to know if the HDMI source is capable of sending 1080i out, most HDMI device nowadays do not offer 1080i anymore.

so, if HDMI source can send 1080i, you just need HDMI > Component converter. (X3 from us can do that)
If HDMI source only offer 720p or 1080p, like most do, then you need SCALER + HDMI > Component converter. (X4 from us can do that)

If quality is not a concern then HDMI > component converter can be found for cheap online.
But if your HDMI source doesn't output 1080i, then SCALER + HDMI > component converter solution will be tricky to find for cheap.

Use Automix/SINK mode for DV support on AVR-Key/Integral. Linker does NOT support all DV.
Want to get DD+ and ATMOS sound from TV streaming Apps back to an AVR via HDMI since it fails via ARC or S/PDIF?
Show interest by posting your TV and AVR brand/model. We might select you in the future for some beta test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page