AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

madVR ENVY : Anticipation thread!

534K views 3K replies 277 participants last post by  markrubin 
#1 · (Edited)
Soooo, it seems my dream may become reality sooner than I expected! :rolleyes:

Madshi has just written a very interesting message in the doom forum about something called "madVR ENVY"

and if we follow the link...

http://envy.madvr.com/

we get this: :eek::eek::eek:

I always wanted madVR HTPC with HDMI IN.

I have been using a HTPC with madVR in combination with my Epson EH-LS10000 first to upscale 1080p to 4k with NGU. And then I started to play my 4K HDR bluray thanks to madVR tone mapping with my Epson EH-LS10000 which is not even officialy HDR compatible!

I then started and participated actively in a madVR tone improvement thread since a year now.
And, madVR has become so good that I think this is now the best (for me) for HDR Tone Mapping out there!
At least, nothing can beat it when it comes to tone mapping for projector with low nits ~100nits.

So yes, my 4K Bluray have never looked better... but what about my Netflix 4k HDR Series? And what about streaming 4k HDR movie directly from a 4K TV Apple box :D
Well that was always my dream... like many other madVR users ...

And if I am not mistaking, and if madshi does not over-promise, then we will get something like a madVR box with hdmi IN to process any source we want SOON!!! :cool:

Can't wait!

@please madshi, tell us more! :D

My questions:

1) Is it a standalone box?
2) Do you still have a GPU in it?
3) How many hdmi In? :D
4) Can it also replace my hdfury vertex and change the EDID to make my Epson EH-LS1000 compatible with Netflix 4k HDR?
5) When is it coming?
6) What's the price? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'll update this post when we get new information.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm particularly interested to know if this will be a full fledged CE type product with proper HDCP capable in / outs and all that entails, or whether we'll have to work that out ourselves.

Also, at a geek level, whether this is taking current SW and running it on a embedded PC based architecture, or moving the MadVR algorithms and know-how to an FPGA or other kind of platform.

Anyway, whatever it turns out to be, very exciting, it is always good for the consumer for there to be more options in the market! :)

#18 ·
Man i m extreemly excited about this, i ve been using MadVr for a long time and the latest beta builds are just excellent!! hope its not just tone mapping and the upscaler can be used for any source, in my opinion MadVR is the best upscaler/tone mapping ull ever find with plenty of extra features.
lets just hope its not super expensive.

#19 ·
Subscribed and REALLY INTERESTED :)

Reactions: tjcinnamon
#22 ·
Please, NO LUMAGEN!! That would bring the price up to the moon and beyond. We don't need another LUMAGEN overpriced device. I want a MadVR device at HDFury prices :)

#23 ·
Please, NO LUMAGEN!! That would bring the price up to the moon and beyond. We don't need another LUMAGEN overpriced device. I want a MadVR device at HDFury prices /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Given that madvr requires some serious GPU power right now, which just by itself costs on the order of $250-500, I cannot imagine how the product could sell for HDFury prices.

#27 ·
I'm shocked this hasn't happened sooner. I realize that MadVR relies on DirectShow, but people have been desperate for something like this for ages. People (myself included) would spend $$$ on this. Curious though that it simply says "4K HDR tone mapping". Sounds like this might not bring the full MadVR feature set like NGU upscaling.

#28 ·
... Curious though that it simply says "4K HDR tone mapping". Sounds like this might not bring the full MadVR feature set like NGU upscaling.
I would be totally fine with this limitation! This could alleviate the price point with a less aggressive GPU need. On my side, I really only need MadVR for its excellent tone mapping functionality. I don't care about upscaling as my sources are only Blu-Ray or UHD and I also play them as-is. But I also understand that other users would take advantage of the excellent upscaling provided by MadVR.

Perhaps we should get two different versions ?? :)

#29 ·
Well, after months waiting to build my HTPC exclusively for madVR, now that i finally have it running, i see this !!!!
Joking :) Subscribed, Excited and REALLY INTERESTED.

And i wish you all the luck in the world for this new project, after years of making madVR available for everyone!

#31 · (Edited)
No HTPC required!
Sounds like a closed box system to me :(

I wish I could buy an HDMI input card with 2-4 HDMI input ports on it and use that for MadVR input instead. I would prefer to turn my HTPC into a receiver too so I don't have to buy one of them new-fangled 4k receivers. :(

Oh well... you can't always get what you want.

#34 ·
I have no doubt it will be a great product with Madshi’s guidance. My concern is many people interested in the MadVR program have already spent quite a bit on parts to get a working computer for MadVR. I hope there will be a way for these people to benefit from their investment in MadVR without having to purchase a new stand alone device.
I also realize Madshi would like to receive compensation for all his time and hard work along with quite a few others that have been huge contributors.
Looking forward to see how this plays out:)

#38 ·
MadVR on your PC isn't going away. But even on a PC imagine if you could use madVR and its HDR Tone mapping in games as well as its sharpening processing.

#36 ·
If this is a madVR in a box, I'm in for sure. If it's just an HDR tone mapper in a box, probably not. Be interesting to see what it is. For me, madVR's best features are not its tone mapping but its 4K upscaling and video processing.

#44 ·
Totally agree.
If it is a dedicated tone mapping machine, it will only target a very selected audience (mostly owners of 4K projectors that wish to calibrate on SDR?).
It would be HUGE if we could have a box with the 3-4 most popular (not all of them) MADVR filters. Something similar to Darbee box.
A $400-500 price tag could easily be justified...

#37 ·
Very exciting. Subscribed. I've loved the idea of MadVR and what it can do but I'm not a computer guy, I'm a video guy. If they can develop a MadVR external unit that can be installed between my sources and my projector I'm all in. I love the idea of it being much simpler to use than the HTPC version.

I can't wait to see MadVR in action though when I get to see markmon1's system in person. :)

Reactions: Spizz
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.