HDFury Vertex2 - Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #271 of 327 Old 08-13-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 568 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
Perhaps I can add something useful here to troubleshoot this audio crack/pop issue...and also take the opportunity to ask a related question.

For traceability, my audio chain setup is as follows:
- ATV4k
- Krell 707 3D pre/pro that DOES NOT process Dolby MAT
- Vertex 2 'AUDIO OUT' connects to one of the HDMI inputs of the Krell processor
- speaker setup is 5.2 (thus I can't accurately render Dolby Atmos)

Scenario 1:
- Since adding the Vertex 2 in my setup back in early July, I've set the ATV4k audio settings to 'change format - Dolby Digital 5.1' and I don't recall experiencing any audio pops.
- However, for some Netflix titles (can't recall which ones), the Vertex 2 identifies the incoming audio signal to be "Bitstream". Consequently, my audio processor displays Dolby Digital 5.1.
- Where is this bitstream pass through occurring in my audio chain? I thought that since TV iOS 12 was released, ATV4k doesn't allow bitstream...

Scenario 2:
- As of last week, I've changed my ATV4k's audio settings to 'best available and Dolby Atmos = OFF' - which will pass L-PCM 'uncompressed audio' to my surround sound processor.
- In this configuration, when exiting any Netflix title for example, there's a slight fast acting 'pop' as the system goes to Netflix home menu. The pops aren't loud per se, nothing annoying, but certainly perceptible.
- Moreover, for those Netflix titles that were bitstreamed in Scenario 1, now Vertex 2 identifies and sends PCM 5.1/7.1 signals to my audio processor.

So the audio pops don't bother me, but I do have a related audio question, which is:

"is "Best Available" the recommended ATV4k audio setting?"

By all accounts, LPCM audio has no loss in quality as it is not compressed, so should be identical to DTS HD Master Audio/Dolby TrueHD (if derived from same file codec, not sure if Apple is doing some audio trickery). But over the years, I've been conditioned to always have my bluray player send bitstream audio to my AVR since its audio processing is typically superior to the source.
1) ATK4K doesn't allow bitstream for ATMOS since they are using Dolby MAT since a while, I suppose it still allow bitstream for anything else or it would be very weird from them.
2) Did you try with the test firmware we made for that ? https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...962-080819.bin

I cannot help for the best recommended settings on ATV4K, I suppose users with good experience and knowledge of ATV4K would be of better help, our work is mainly to supply devices that allow to connect everything together at the best quality possible, for the rest, it's the preference/settings of each one that prevails.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 327 Old 08-13-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikb125 View Post
I tried the settings as proposed, now I get sound but no ATMOS the signal says 7.1 PCM (tried also to restart all devices after changing settings), I switched to TX1 but there I get no sound(?), and I exported the config file with Tx1 plugged in.
Also I use the same show for all tests to ensure same conditions (wu assasins at Netflix).
BR
Fredrik
Hi Fredrik

7.1 PCM is how ATV4K transmit ATMOS since a while (since they changed from Atmos over True HD to Atmos over Dolby MAT). That is how it is transmitted when using Dolby MAT and that allow ATV4K to add OS sound on the audio stream, Do you mean that when you connect ATV4K > AVR you have something else than 7.1 PCM ? If yes, What do you have reported exactly ?

Keep AVR at TX1 output, and set EDID mode to "copy TX1", restart your source. Still no ATMOS ? (this is a test to determine issue, I ofc understand that this is not final settings for your setup)

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.

Last edited by HDfury; 08-13-2019 at 05:37 AM.
post #273 of 327 Old 08-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Hi Fredrik

7.1 PCM is how ATV4K transmit ATMOS since a while (since they changed from Atmos over True HD to Atmos over Dolby MAT). That is how it is transmitted when using Dolby MAT and that allow ATV4K to add OS sound on the audio stream, Do you mean that when you connect ATV4K > AVR you have something else than 7.1 PCM ? If yes, What do you have reported exactly ?

Keep AVR at TX1 output, and set EDID mode to "copy TX1", restart your source. Still no ATMOS ? (this is a test to determine issue, I ofc understand that this is not final settings for your setup)

When I take the cable from the ATV and plug it to the Storm and the cable to the projector to the Storm I get the message Dolby ATMOS in the Storm display (see picture “no vertex”).
When I plug in the cables to the Vertex (without changing ANY settings on any device, and running the same show at Netflix) and reboot all devices I get the message PCM 48kHZ 7.1 (see picture “automix audio out”) and the atmos speakers is also silent (as expected with 7.1).

I did as you asked, I hope I did it right, I hope you meant “Copy tx1 sink” under edid, unfortunately I get no sound when I connect the AVR to TX1?
I attached the config file with those settings also see the picture TX1 were you can see that the AVR receives no sound signal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TX1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	2602482   Click image for larger version

Name:	No vertex.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2602484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Automix audio out.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	2602486  
Attached Files
File Type: txt VERTEX2-CONFIG-2019-08-13.txt (10.3 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 327 Old 08-13-2019, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
1) ATK4K doesn't allow bitstream for ATMOS since they are using Dolby MAT since a while, I suppose it still allow bitstream for anything else or it would be very weird from them.
2) Did you try with the test firmware we made for that ? https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...962-080819.bin

I cannot help for the best recommended settings on ATV4K, I suppose users with good experience and knowledge of ATV4K would be of better help, our work is mainly to supply devices that allow to connect everything together at the best quality possible, for the rest, it's the preference/settings of each one that prevails.
Thank you for the reply @HDfury .

I'm running the latest general release 0.29 and the audio pops are ever slightly present, but not all the time...definitely not an issue for me to consider opening a bug.
post #275 of 327 Old 08-13-2019, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
When I take the cable from the ATV and plug it to the Storm and the cable to the projector to the Storm I get the message Dolby ATMOS in the Storm display (see picture “no vertex”).
When I plug in the cables to the Vertex (without changing ANY settings on any device, and running the same show at Netflix) and reboot all devices I get the message PCM 48kHZ 7.1 (see picture “automix audio out”) and the atmos speakers is also silent (as expected with 7.1).

I did as you asked, I hope I did it right, I hope you meant “Copy tx1 sink” under edid, unfortunately I get no sound when I connect the AVR to TX1?
I attached the config file with those settings also see the picture TX1 were you can see that the AVR receives no sound signal.
That's an interesting one...I assume that you've checked that, under the ATV4k audio setting you have:
1. 'full audio/best available'
2. 'enable dolby atmos' checkbox is on?

When disconnecting HDMI cables, sometimes AV settings get mangled up. Double check those, just to make sure.

So, systematically, you've validated a few things, specifically that your:
1. ATV4k can send Dolby Atmos
2. StormAudio pre/pro accurately processes Dolby Atmos MAT codec

Although my Krell 707 3D doesn't process Dolby MAT, when I have 'full audio' + 'dolby atmos' enabled under the ATV4k audio settings, my TV panel certainly shows that I"m playing Dolby Vision + Atmos, but my pre/pro audio is muted (as expected). So everything seems to work as intended, specifically that ATV4k sends Dolby MAT and that Vertex 2 is passing through Dolby MAT/Atmos correctly.
post #276 of 327 Old 08-13-2019, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I get the message PCM 48kHZ 7.1 (see picture “automix audio out”)
My pre/pro actually receives same audio signal form the Vertex 2 but only when my ATV4k audio is set to 'best available' AND dolby atmos is disabled.. So that is totally expected and per design given these settings.

Again, check that dolby atmos is enabled in your ATV4k audio settings...hopefully that does it.
post #277 of 327 Old 08-13-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
That's an interesting one...I assume that you've checked that, under the ATV4k audio setting you have:
1. 'full audio/best available'
2. 'enable dolby atmos' checkbox is on?

When disconnecting HDMI cables, sometimes AV settings get mangled up. Double check those, just to make sure.

So, systematically, you've validated a few things, specifically that your:
1. ATV4k can send Dolby Atmos
2. StormAudio pre/pro accurately processes Dolby Atmos MAT codec

Although my Krell 707 3D doesn't process Dolby MAT, when I have 'full audio' + 'dolby atmos' enabled under the ATV4k audio settings, my TV panel certainly shows that I"m playing Dolby Vision + Atmos, but my pre/pro audio is muted (as expected). So everything seems to work as intended, specifically that ATV4k sends Dolby MAT and that Vertex 2 is passing through Dolby MAT/Atmos correctly.

Thank you for the support, yes I check the audio settings on the ATV between each switch and the audio is set to Auto and Atmos on, actually at one test when I excluded the Vertex the pre/pro still showed PCM 7.1 despite Atmos was at on in the ATV, but as I toggled atmos on/off in the ATV setting the Atmos kicked in, so after that I always check tha ATV settings and toggle atmos on/off just in case (I always restart the devices between all tests).

BR
Fredrik
post #278 of 327 Old 08-14-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sometimes we can see 7.1 instead of Atmos as well, this is when we have done a resync, in this case we need to go back to ATV main menu and launch the app again and then it's atmos again.
Actually that is repeatable all the time, any kind of powercycle or resync and then app needs to be launched again. So please make sure you have tested it that way.

finally, try to unplug/replug TX1 and restart APP, still no atmos ?

Also please confirm to which input you have ATV4K connected ? because on config there is no AUDIO and no video going to TX1, so that's normal you got no sound. (and actually you should have no video as well), so may be try TX0 to AVR first. Or may be config was exported before web and oled refreshed ?

the ATV4K audio format menu says "audio will be decoded and sent to your equipment as uncompressed multichannel LPCM". This is when atmos is set to "on", and this is what we get when playing titles.
Does WU appears as Atmos title when you have Vertex2 in the loop ?

Anyway, we will run more tests in next hours and update you again.

EDIT: Ok, we noticed when playing movie with atmos that it didn't come as atmos when it had just done so previously. we also noticed the image was blotchy
then we tried to reduce EDID to 1080p and got atmos right away. it seemed net speed affected what atv was giving out, so please try with 1080p full audio edid and see if you have same issue.
It's possible that when ATV is connected to your AVR directly, it sees that your AVR is limited to 300MHz max and no issue, while if you use custom EDID or automix with our devices ATV will see 600MHz capable and that can affect things because of network condition.

EDIT2: make sure you reboot ATV4K once connected to Vertex2

Last edited by HDfury; 08-14-2019 at 06:13 AM.
post #279 of 327 Old 08-14-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Yes, so what you need/want here is simply a 1:1 copy of sink edid to the input, we will add such mode on next update.
When user have AVR at audio out and that sound system is always used, then current implementation makes sense.
Quote:
You will have it in a couple of days as it makes sense.
HDfury, any news on the next firmware update?
post #280 of 327 Old 08-14-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
HDfury, any news on the next firmware update?
Not yet sorry, it will be released once we are done on others things that need to be included in it.

post #281 of 327 Old 08-14-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Sometimes we can see 7.1 instead of Atmos as well, this is when we have done a resync, in this case we need to go back to ATV main menu and launch the app again and then it's atmos again.
Actually that is repeatable all the time, any kind of powercycle or resync and then app needs to be launched again. So please make sure you have tested it that way.

finally, try to unplug/replug TX1 and restart APP, still no atmos ?

Also please confirm to which input you have ATV4K connected ? because on config there is no AUDIO and no video going to TX1, so that's normal you got no sound. (and actually you should have no video as well), so may be try TX0 to AVR first. Or may be config was exported before web and oled refreshed ?

the ATV4K audio format menu says "audio will be decoded and sent to your equipment as uncompressed multichannel LPCM". This is when atmos is set to "on", and this is what we get when playing titles.
Does WU appears as Atmos title when you have Vertex2 in the loop ?

Anyway, we will run more tests in next hours and update you again.

EDIT: Ok, we noticed when playing movie with atmos that it didn't come as atmos when it had just done so previously. we also noticed the image was blotchy
then we tried to reduce EDID to 1080p and got atmos right away. it seemed net speed affected what atv was giving out, so please try with 1080p full audio edid and see if you have same issue.
It's possible that when ATV is connected to your AVR directly, it sees that your AVR is limited to 300MHz max and no issue, while if you use custom EDID or automix with our devices ATV will see 600MHz capable and that can affect things because of network condition.

EDIT2: make sure you reboot ATV4K once connected to Vertex2
I have the ATV connected to input 2, and to clarify I restart all devices between changing settings (including restarting the ATV), I also toggle atoms on/off on the ATV.
So the netflix app is always restarted by default in my tests.

I tried the different options:

1. I connected the AVR to TX1 again and selected one of the custom EDID with 1080p (without HDR), I still get no Atmos.
2. I connected the AVR to TX0 and tried the custom 1080p (without HDR), no atmos, in this setting Atmos was also not available to choose in the ATV.
3. I also tried AVR to TX0 with "copy TX0 Sink" but with same result as the custom EDID.

In both cases when I connected the AVR to Tx0 I had the projector connected to TX1 (so I could get a picture), two odd observations is that when I have the AVR connected to Tx0 or Tx1 I loose picture every 5-10 seconds, in 2-3 sek the picture comes back, feel like some kind of sync issue, this never occurs when the AVR is connected to Audio out.
Also when selecting the custom 1080p EDID the ATV reports 720p (does not matter to me just whant to give the info). I attach the both configs when connecting the AVR to Tx0 if this can help.

Also regaring the question about Atmos reporting from ATV when vertex is in the loop, yes in the usual configs i use (using audio out connection), ATV shows WU as atmos and all other sounds in the menu of the ATV has sound(pcm 2.0) and I can play 5.1 movies but as soon as i start an Atmos title the sound signal is "none"

It is quite annoying since I bought the vertex2 to get HDR from my sources (as my current HDMI board in the storm audio does not support this), but with the vertex2 HDR works fine but Atmos not

BR
Fredrik
Attached Files
File Type: txt VERTEX2-CONFIG-2019-08-14.txt (10.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: txt VERTEX2-CONFIG-2019-08-14 (1).txt (10.5 KB, 3 views)
post #282 of 327 Old 08-14-2019, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Do you run beta tvos 13 in atv’n? ( can’t remember if you told what firmware you run)
post #283 of 327 Old 08-14-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the ATV connected to input 2, and to clarify I restart all devices between changing settings (including restarting the ATV), I also toggle atoms on/off on the ATV.
So the netflix app is always restarted by default in my tests.

I tried the different options:

1. I connected the AVR to TX1 again and selected one of the custom EDID with 1080p (without HDR), I still get no Atmos.
2. I connected the AVR to TX0 and tried the custom 1080p (without HDR), no atmos, in this setting Atmos was also not available to choose in the ATV.
3. I also tried AVR to TX0 with "copy TX0 Sink" but with same result as the custom EDID.

In both cases when I connected the AVR to Tx0 I had the projector connected to TX1 (so I could get a picture), two odd observations is that when I have the AVR connected to Tx0 or Tx1 I loose picture every 5-10 seconds, in 2-3 sek the picture comes back, feel like some kind of sync issue, this never occurs when the AVR is connected to Audio out.
Also when selecting the custom 1080p EDID the ATV reports 720p (does not matter to me just whant to give the info). I attach the both configs when connecting the AVR to Tx0 if this can help.

Also regaring the question about Atmos reporting from ATV when vertex is in the loop, yes in the usual configs i use (using audio out connection), ATV shows WU as atmos and all other sounds in the menu of the ATV has sound(pcm 2.0) and I can play 5.1 movies but as soon as i start an Atmos title the sound signal is "none"

It is quite annoying since I bought the vertex2 to get HDR from my sources (as my current HDMI board in the storm audio does not support this), but with the vertex2 HDR works fine but Atmos not

BR
Fredrik
You selected a 1080p24 EDID, while ATV4K needs at least 60Hz for it's menu to show, so it selected the lower res available at 60Hz which is 720p60 with the edid you selected, also you can select 1080p60 HDR edid for testing.

It seems you need a special firmware given what you wrote above, please send me private message.

post #284 of 327 Old 08-14-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola View Post
Do you run beta tvos 13 in atv’n? ( can’t remember if you told what firmware you run)
Yes I run the beta tvos 13 for the ATV, but I updated the other days since I was hoping that that might help in some way, I had the same issues with the official OS.
BR
Fredrik
post #285 of 327 Old 08-14-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
You selected a 1080p24 EDID, while ATV4K needs at least 60Hz for it's menu to show, so it selected the lower res available at 60Hz which is 720p60 with the edid you selected, also you can select 1080p60 HDR edid for testing.

It seems you need a special firmware given what you wrote above, please send me private message.
Thank you for the support I'll send a message now.
Ok I understad when you explain regarding the 720, makes sense!
BR
Fredrik
post #286 of 327 Old 08-16-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I run the beta tvos 13 for the ATV, but I updated the other days since I was hoping that that might help in some way, I had the same issues with the official OS.
BR
Fredrik
Quote:
Thank you for the support I'll send a message now.
Ok I understad when you explain regarding the 720, makes sense!
BR
Fredrik
Given your last private message, special firmware solved it.
So anyone with Audio Storm ISP 3D.16 ELITE, just send private message

post #287 of 327 Old 08-19-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen1000 View Post
@HDfury do you know for which release the audio mute stuff is targeted. I mean no rush, just asking :-)

Quote:
Let me know how it goes with this one: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...962-080819.bin

>>> Hi Guys,

We have new update ready for Vertex2 but we would like to get some feedback from people having any pop/crack sound issue, please note that the above test fw we made for this only have mute timing option on AUDIO OUT, so testing from TX0 or TX1 is not relevant. (but could be useful for ex if TX0 or TX1 give pop sound, then compare with audio out, then we know if our implementation on Audio out is solving issue or not)

@sofakng your feature request is done, already published for Maestro and Diva, just waiting some feedback here to release it on Vertex2.

post #288 of 327 Old 08-19-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Awesome, thanks for the update!!
post #289 of 327 Old 08-19-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
Awesome, thanks for the update!!
Check your PM, so you have something to play with while we are waiting feedback here

post #290 of 327 Old 08-19-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You are awesome. Thanks again
post #291 of 327 Old 08-24-2019, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@HDfury I just installed a Vertex2 in my system. Display is LG C8 OLED. All sources working except my Nintendo Wii, which outputs 480P. I get sound but either a black screen or a no signal screen. Any suggestions?
post #292 of 327 Old 08-24-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokonon View Post
@HDfury I just installed a Vertex2 in my system. Display is LG C8 OLED. All sources working except my Nintendo Wii, which outputs 480P. I get sound but either a black screen or a no signal screen. Any suggestions?
Please send config export when you have sound please and add it as attachment.
Do you use some kind of adapter to output HDMI from Wii, if yes, please add link to it.

post #293 of 327 Old 08-24-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Do you use some kind of adapter to output HDMI from Wii, if yes, please add link to it.
I need one more post to be able to include links and attachments. My next reply will include them. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt VERTEX2-CONFIG-8_24_2019.txt (10.3 KB, 2 views)
post #294 of 327 Old 08-24-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Attached is the config export. The Wii adapter I use is https://sewelldirect.com/products/wi...an-hdmi-device

Unlike most Wii HDMI adapters, it outputs 480p and does not upscale. Thanks for your help. Great product with great support.
Attached Files
File Type: txt VERTEX2-CONFIG-8_24_2019.txt (10.3 KB, 1 views)
post #295 of 327 Old 08-24-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I need one more post to be able to include links and attachments. My next reply will include them. Thanks.

Ok, np, btw, did you know you don't have UHD color enable on your TV, thus limiting to 300MHz max instead of 600MHz possible.

post #296 of 327 Old 08-24-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Ok, np, btw, did you know you don't have UHD color enable on your TV, thus limiting to 300MHz max instead of 600MHz possible.
I didn't know that. I just fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out. Hopefully getting the will working will be just as easy!
post #297 of 327 Old 08-24-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Attached is the config export. The Wii adapter I use is https://sewelldirect.com/products/wi...an-hdmi-device

Unlike most Wii HDMI adapters, it outputs 480p and does not upscale. Thanks for your help. Great product with great support.

When you connect WII > Sewell adapter > TV directly, does it work correctly ?

And when you have that blackscreen or no signal you mentioned, if you remove/reconnect power to Vertex2, does it fix it or not ?

post #298 of 327 Old 08-24-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't know that. I just fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out. Hopefully getting the will working will be just as easy!

Yes, watch out for cable issues now, if with this option enable you have flickering or lost of picture, then it means cable is not good enough.

post #299 of 327 Old 08-24-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
When you connect WII > Sewell adapter > TV directly, does it work correctly ?

And when you have that blackscreen or no signal you mentioned, if you remove/reconnect power to Vertex2, does it fix it or not ?
Yes, when connected directly it works correctly. Powering down/up the Vertex2 has no effect.
post #300 of 327 Old 08-24-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, when connected directly it works correctly. Powering down/up the Vertex2 has no effect.
Ok, if you set Scale settings to NO SCALING, same results ? if yes, we will have to buy one of these and try to reproduce.

I'll send you a special firmware via PM, please check it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page