HDFury Vertex2 - Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 98Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 636 Old 07-02-2019, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I've had some time to setup the Vertex 2...


Cliff Notes: this AV unit is AWESOME!!! If you were ever on the fence, just go ahead, do yourself a favour, and just get it...Vertex 2 lives up to its expectations, and in my humble opinions, it surpasses them! I briefly tried to setup an Integral 2...no comparison (mind you I had some HT audio issues back then, so a little unfair)

Impressions, after setting it up this evening:


A. BUILD - 10/10

It's impressively solid, case is metal, nothing is flimsy about it. And the OLED screen is a beaut to boot..icing on the cake!


B. FUNCTIONALITY - 10/10


Plug-n-Play just works man. My setup is pretty modest:
UHD Sources:

1. ATV4k
2. Cambridge Audio CXUHD
Destinations:
1. Sony 940E (HDR + LLDV capable)
2. Krell Evolution 7073D Pre/Pro driving 5.2 channels so it's a negative on Dolby Atmos (DTS Master HD or Dolby True HD max)


My connections:
ATV 4k -> 10ft copper -> (in 2) Vertex² (out TX0) -> 10ft copper -> Sony 940E
CXUHD-> 10ft copper -> (in 1) Vertex² (out TX0) ------------------> Sony 940E
----------------------------------> Vertex² (Audio Out) --------------> Krell 707



Note: I don't care for CEC or ARC...so all that is disabled at both source and Vertex 2.



I plugged all inputs and outputs per the above. Note: all my HDMI cables are 10 ft copper specked at 18 Gps/600MHz (rated but not certified). Immediately I was able to get both image and sound. Mind you, neither the picture nor the sound were at their peak straight out of the box...enter Webserver as I had to get tweaking



C. FLEXIBILITY - 10/10
As I mentioned above, I didn't get DV nor HDR in the beginning, so I had to connect the Vertex 2 to my router (CAT5 ethernet) and open up the corresponding IP address.



Getting the Webserver up and running was a breeze, just like everything else thus far.



Messing about the EDID and DV/HDR tabs, I was able to get both HDR, DV and corresponding sound track. I left the EDID as 'AutoMix', although I messed about with 'Custom' as well...



Interesting to note that, every-time I've made a selection via the Webserver, within 1-2 sec it took effect (the screen temporarily goes blank).




D. CLOSING NOTES:

- the OLED screen is a gem
- setting up is easy and intuitive
- it just works out of the box

- I always like a SOLID and HEAVY feel in all of my AV gear. The Vertex 2 is built better than most UDH BluRay players. I think it even weighs more than some of them despite being 4-5 times smaller in size

- it doesn't produce any heat...unit is cool as a cucumber after hours being on
- this could be a Jedi Mind Trick the Vertex 2 is playing on me, but I think the video quality (once setup to the correct colour and rez) is better with it. Images are sharper, slightly more vivid. Regardless, I'm certainly enjoying the slight image boost

The only downsides, and I'm nitpicking here:


- not sure here, could be a limitation of my AVR/prepro since it doesn't handle Dolby Atmos and ATV4k doesn't bitstream like the NVIDIA Shield, but I couldn't get it to pass it through when testing Altered Carbon via ATV4k. Dolby Vision was great, but sound was muted...unless I went inside the ATV4k Audio settings and turn off Dolby Atmos Immersive Sound checkbox. The Netflix title info showed Dolby Atmos and Vision are on...
- when starting to play content (both via BluRay or ATV4k) an image starts, but the screen flickers a couple of times (2-4 sec max) until it latches on. Once it's on...it's SOLID
- I'm still getting used to auto-switching. Didn't get a true handle how that works if BOTH all sources are still on. To make sure that it switched, I had to put the ATV4k to sleep or turn off the BD player. Then the Vertex 2 certainly switched to the available input.


All in all: CONGRATS HDfury. Well done, an excellent product - top notch!
no_cure is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 636 Old 07-02-2019, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Grasping at air here...if an AVR isn't meant to handle Dolby Atmos sound via ATV4K, what should happen?


As described in my post above, if Dolby Atmos immersive sound is selected in the ATV audio settings, the resulting sound is muted to my AVR. I was expecting to get however something like Dolby Digital + at least. Also, the OLED info shows "_ ch} instead of some integer like "2.0 ch"



If I select 'BEST AUDIO AVAILABLE' and UN-check Dolby Atmos, my AVR shows PCM 5.1 - as expected (input signal is LPCM 7.1 of course since it's best ATV4k can do)



However, if I manually check audio and force to Dolby Digital 5.1, the AVR shows 2ch Dolby Digital (but I've configured it to processes DD 2.0 input as Dolby Pro Logic IIx). Also this is as expected.



The interesting find here is that, to me, the Dolby Pro Logic IIx much more immersive and spatially open vs. the higher channel when selecting 'best audio available'. Unsure if anyone else found that.



So to close this: can I leverage my new Vertex 2 to 'force' somehow Dolby Atmos envelope to my non-atmos AVR and output DD+ instead (don't think DD TruHD is possible today w/ ATV4k, likely with the NVIDIA Shield)?


FYI - I've included 3 config files of all my setup. Perhaps HDfury can find some setting off...


Cheerio!
Attached Files
File Type: txt VERTEX2-CONFIG-7_2_2019_ATV4k_Dolby Atmos Disabled.txt (9.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: txt VERTEX2-CONFIG-7_2_2019_Cambride Audio CXUHD.txt (10.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: txt VERTEX2-CONFIG-7_2_2019_ATV4K_Dolby Atmos Enabled.txt (9.8 KB, 9 views)
no_cure is offline  
post #63 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HDfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,423
Mentioned: 619 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
Grasping at air here...if an AVR isn't meant to handle Dolby Atmos sound via ATV4K, what should happen?


As described in my post above, if Dolby Atmos immersive sound is selected in the ATV audio settings, the resulting sound is muted to my AVR. I was expecting to get however something like Dolby Digital + at least. Also, the OLED info shows "_ ch} instead of some integer like "2.0 ch"



If I select 'BEST AUDIO AVAILABLE' and UN-check Dolby Atmos, my AVR shows PCM 5.1 - as expected (input signal is LPCM 7.1 of course since it's best ATV4k can do)



However, if I manually check audio and force to Dolby Digital 5.1, the AVR shows 2ch Dolby Digital (but I've configured it to processes DD 2.0 input as Dolby Pro Logic IIx). Also this is as expected.



The interesting find here is that, to me, the Dolby Pro Logic IIx much more immersive and spatially open vs. the higher channel when selecting 'best audio available'. Unsure if anyone else found that.



So to close this: can I leverage my new Vertex 2 to 'force' somehow Dolby Atmos envelope to my non-atmos AVR and output DD+ instead (don't think DD TruHD is possible today w/ ATV4k, likely with the NVIDIA Shield)?


FYI - I've included 3 config files of all my setup. Perhaps HDfury can find some setting off...


Cheerio!

Thanx for above feedback ! much appreciated. Unit will get even better with time, devs working hard on new updates.


ATV4K use Dolby MAT for ATMOS transmission since some FW update they did some months ago, they were using Atmos over True HD before and it was compatible with way more equipment.
If your sound system does not support Dolby MAT for Atmos, like many older one, then there is no way to get Atmos from ATV4K (at least not until they offer option to select Dolby MAT/True HD or come back to previous way as it's clearly making problem to many users)
There is nothing we can do for that, only Apple could do something if they care about it.

For switching: Autoswitch will switch to source that is ON when current turns OFF or when no other is ON yet, if you want to switch to another source as soon as its ON, make sure Input priority is also ENABLED.


For Resync when starting playback, even a direct source > TV will resync when res/hdcp/chroma/color depth/etc.. changes, but TV is driving panel directly so it appears super fast, when you use device in the middle like our devices, you will have a longer resync time, because first source output and our device input sync together and then our devices output and TV input sync together and then TV can push signal to the panel.

PS: As long as you do not reboot the unit, you should be fine, but fw you are using (0.23) have a bug that we corrected on FW0.24 so may be you will want to update or wait next update, due soon.
no_cure likes this.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.

Last edited by HDfury; 07-03-2019 at 07:23 AM.
HDfury is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 04:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Received mine, super impressed.
I had Vertex, Vertex pcb2, Integral 2 and now Vertex 2, and the quality that this box is projecting is just phenomenal.
So far don't even need the IR codes because the auto switching is just that good

Also very impressed with 2-day delivery. Wasn't very happy with paying 100 EUR to the DHL guy for Toll, but that's how it is
proza is offline  
post #65 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HDfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,423
Mentioned: 619 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by proza View Post
Received mine, super impressed.
I had Vertex, Vertex pcb2, Integral 2 and now Vertex 2, and the quality that this box is projecting is just phenomenal.
So far don't even need the IR codes because the auto switching is just that good

Also very impressed with 2-day delivery. Wasn't very happy with paying 100 EUR to the DHL guy for Toll, but that's how it is
Thanx for the feedback, IR code will be updated on next firmware as there is a conflict with some Yamaha AVR IR codes.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
HDfury is offline  
post #66 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Didn't really look for it during my initial setup session, but does the Vertex2 have a stand-by power mode or is it always on? Does it go to sleep after a certain period of inactivity?
no_cure is offline  
post #67 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Thanx for above feedback ! much appreciated. Unit will get even better with time, devs working hard on new updates.


ATV4K use Dolby MAT for ATMOS transmission since some FW update they did some months ago, they were using Atmos over True HD before and it was compatible with way more equipment.
If your sound system does not support Dolby MAT for Atmos, like many older one, then there is no way to get Atmos from ATV4K (at least not until they offer option to select Dolby MAT/True HD or come back to previous way as it's clearly making problem to many users)
There is nothing we can do for that, only Apple could do something if they care about it.

For switching: Autoswitch will switch to source that is ON when current turns OFF or when no other is ON yet, if you want to switch to another source as soon as its ON, make sure Input priority is also ENABLED.


For Resync when starting playback, even a direct source > TV will resync when res/hdcp/chroma/color depth/etc.. changes, but TV is driving panel directly so it appears super fast, when you use device in the middle like our devices, you will have a longer resync time, because first source output and our device input sync together and then our devices output and TV input sync together and then TV can push signal to the panel.

PS: As long as you do not reboot the unit, you should be fine, but fw you are using (0.23) have a bug that we corrected on FW0.24 so may be you will want to update or wait next update, due soon.
Thanks @HDfury . Understood regarding ATV4k & Dolby MAT.

Is FW 0.24 mandatory for all, or just recommended for those with ARC/CEC concerns?
no_cure is offline  
post #68 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HDfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,423
Mentioned: 619 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
Didn't really look for it during my initial setup session, but does the Vertex2 have a stand-by power mode or is it always on? Does it go to sleep after a certain period of inactivity?

As long as there is no signal going thru it, power consumption is nearly nothing, so basically standby mode is whatever OLED timer is set to. if no signal and OLED timer expired(or off) then device is in standby, only hotplug event (source or sink turning on) will wake it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
Thanks @HDfury. Understood regarding ATV4k & Dolby MAT.

Is FW 0.24 mandatory for all, or just recommended for those with ARC/CEC concerns?

It's better to use 0.23 rather than 0.24 (since only 0.23 have issue) but if you are on 0.22, then no need to update, you can wait future mandatory update to do so.


0.23 will enable some options related to HDR when unit is rebooted, so if you play any HDR content, better update to 0.24


0.22 for eARC
0.24 for ARC

If you don't use ARC or eARC then you can use either 0.22 or 0.24


one firmware for both ARC/eARC will come soon.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
HDfury is offline  
post #69 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 09:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Thanx for the feedback, IR code will be updated on next firmware as there is a conflict with some Yamaha AVR IR codes.
lol I just emailed Harmony
Will all change, or just some? Would be great if the channel selectors remained stable ;-)

What's the difference between the 3 btw?

vertex2_inputsel0
vertex2_inputsel0x
vertex2_inputselx0
proza is offline  
post #70 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Regarding ATV4k Atmos/MAT, etc,
How about a FAQ? https://hackmd.io/@kuPOFgJRRmGcTJoXQIxy4g/H1rznrcgS (sign in to edit)
no_cure and HDfury like this.
proza is offline  
post #71 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
As long as there is no signal going thru it, power consumption is nearly nothing, so basically standby mode is whatever OLED timer is set to. if no signal and OLED timer expired(or off) then device is in standby, only hotplug event (source or sink turning on) will wake it up.




It's better to use 0.23 rather than 0.24 (since only 0.23 have issue) but if you are on 0.22, then no need to update, you can wait future mandatory update to do so.


0.23 will enable some options related to HDR when unit is rebooted, so if you play any HDR content, better update to 0.24


0.22 for eARC
0.24 for ARC

If you don't use ARC or eARC then you can use either 0.22 or 0.24


one firmware for both ARC/eARC will come soon.
Thank you for the always detailed responses @HDfury . I haven't updated the fw on the Vertex 2...I think it came with .23 from the factory, and since my TV does support HDR and LLDV, I'll update to .24 regardless.

On a related note, can the Vertex 2 be rolled back to a previous FW if the current one proves too buggy? Most devices won't allow that nowadays it seems (e.g. ATV, most smart 4k TVs, etc.).

Not that it matters, you guys always can be counted on to release any subsequent updates as required to fix ANY persistent bug...and that's one of the many reasons that makes your company stellar.

Keep up the fantastic work HDfury!
no_cure is offline  
post #72 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by proza View Post
Regarding ATV4k Atmos/MAT, etc,
How about a FAQ? https://hackmd.io/@kuPOFgJRRmGcTJoXQIxy4g/H1rznrcgS (sign in to edit)
Well done @proza . Thanks for creating that.
no_cure is offline  
post #73 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HDfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,423
Mentioned: 619 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
Thank you for the always detailed responses @HDfury. I haven't updated the fw on the Vertex 2...I think it came with .23 from the factory, and since my TV does support HDR and LLDV, I'll update to .24 regardless.

On a related note, can the Vertex 2 be rolled back to a previous FW if the current one proves too buggy? Most devices won't allow that nowadays it seems (e.g. ATV, most smart 4k TVs, etc.).

Not that it matters, you guys always can be counted on to release any subsequent updates as required to fix ANY persistent bug...and that's one of the many reasons that makes your company stellar.

Keep up the fantastic work HDfury!
You can revert back to any firmware any time, no problem.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
HDfury is offline  
post #74 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HDfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,423
Mentioned: 619 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by proza View Post
lol I just emailed Harmony
Will all change, or just some? Would be great if the channel selectors remained stable ;-)

What's the difference between the 3 btw?

vertex2_inputsel0
vertex2_inputsel0x
vertex2_inputselx0

Yes header will change for all codes.

You can refer to same question/same answer on Diva thread here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vi...l#post58078322


ex: 0x means tx0 will be port0 and port1 is whatever it was
x3 means that tx0 remains and tx1 will be port3
And the normal previous 0 ,1, 2 ,3 just mean that both will switch to that channel

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
HDfury is offline  
post #75 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Senior Member
 
JonnyVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Got my unit yesterday! Unfortunately I can't setup yet or do any testing as I'm doing house renovations.

Solid unit though. Looking forward to getting it set up.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon x1500H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Extra Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, HDFury Vertex2, & HTPC w/2080 Ti.
JonnyVee is offline  
post #76 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
Solid unit though
Agreed...having held an Integral 2 in my hands (didn't end up using it though) by comparison, the Vertex 2 feels like a tremendously better engineered product. And the Integral 2 was and still is a well regarded matrix/switch/splitter.
no_cure is offline  
post #77 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
This is a welcomed surprise as I didn't expect it. I have noted this in my initial observation review, but DEFINITELY the video portion has improved as a direct result of inserting Vertex 2 in my Video chain...especially while streaming Netflix via ATV4k...which I watch quite a bit.

Example: my test case is Altered Carbon series that boasts Dolby Vision + Atmos. While my AVR doesn't decode Dolby MAT audio, my TV is happily decoding LLDV video.

Prior to Vertex 2, the show was indeed extremely crisp, but slightly dark...in my experience, DV streams have that innate darker pallet vs. an HDR10 content, although they do represent a more accurate studio mastering overall picture (1,000 nits avg for HDR10 vs ~ 4,000 for DV I've read in some article)

After the installation, same DV show and episode seem brighter but without the inherent dark scenes. Noticeable for me to even comment on this...

Does the Vertex 2 have some inherent video processing to improve gamma, colour gamuts, etc (à la Oppo 205)? I know it doesn't manipulate sound in any way...but since it is capable of video scaling, it wouldn't be a stretch??
no_cure is offline  
post #78 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HDfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,423
Mentioned: 619 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
This is a welcomed surprise as I didn't expect it. I have noted this in my initial observation review, but DEFINITELY the video portion has improved as a direct result of inserting Vertex 2 in my Video chain...especially while streaming Netflix via ATV4k...which I watch quite a bit.

Example: my test case is Altered Carbon series that boasts Dolby Vision + Atmos. While my AVR doesn't decode Dolby MAT audio, my TV is happily decoding LLDV video.

Prior to Vertex 2, the show was indeed extremely crisp, but slightly dark...in my experience, DV streams have that innate darker pallet vs. an HDR10 content, although they do represent a more accurate studio mastering overall picture (1,000 nits avg for HDR10 vs ~ 4,000 for DV I've read in some article)

After the installation, same DV show and episode seem brighter but without the inherent dark scenes. Noticeable for me to even comment on this...

Does the Vertex 2 have some inherent video processing to improve gamma, colour gamuts, etc (à la Oppo 205)? I know it doesn't manipulate sound in any way...but since it is capable of video scaling, it wouldn't be a stretch??

No, what comes in / goes out untouched unless you have set some specific options. maybe post a config export when playing this particular content and I can look into it for anything obvious.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
HDfury is offline  
post #79 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
No, what comes in / goes out untouched unless you have set some specific options. maybe post a config export when playing this particular content and I can look into it for anything obvious.
Ok...perhaps my eyes are playing a trick. I swear that Netflix streams w/ Dolby Vision via ATV4k look better now...

Anyways, I've posted my config up in post #62 I think...and content is Netflix LLDV. Let me know if you find something of interest in my setup.

Thanks again!!
no_cure is offline  
post #80 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sofakng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hmmm... I just turned on my TV and had no signal.

The web GUI showed blank for Video TX0/TX1 (known issue). I was able to change inputs on the GUI but still no output signal. I also tried sending an HPD pulse using the GUI and still nothing.

I forced a reboot on the Vertex2 and then a signal displayed right away.

Anybody have anything similar?

Last edited by sofakng; 07-03-2019 at 05:20 PM.
sofakng is offline  
post #81 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
Hmmm... I just turned on my TV and had no signal.

The web GUI showed blank for Video TX0/TX1 (known issue). I was able to change inputs on the GUI but still no output signal. I also tried sending an HPD pulse using the GUI and still nothing.

I forced a reboot on the Vertex2 and then a signal displayed right away.

Anybody have anything similar?
Now that you mentioned it...that happened to me as well. I am not sure what I did to trigger it, but I’m pretty sure that I was messing about with the EDID or DV/HDR tabs. Every change I made, of course, it triggered a change to the unit and temporarily blanked out the screen.

I guess at some point, the screen remained blank. Rebooting it however got it all back up.
no_cure is offline  
post #82 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HDfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,423
Mentioned: 619 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
Hmmm... I just turned on my TV and had no signal.

The web GUI showed blank for Video TX0/TX1 (known issue). I was able to change inputs on the GUI but still no output signal. I also tried sending an HPD pulse using the GUI and still nothing.

I forced a reboot on the Vertex2 and then a signal displayed right away.

Anybody have anything similar?

Export config if it happens again please

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
Ok...perhaps my eyes are playing a trick. I swear that Netflix streams w/ Dolby Vision via ATV4k look better now...

Anyways, I've posted my config up in post #62 I think...and content is Netflix LLDV. Let me know if you find something of interest in my setup.

Thanks again!!
Those configs in post 62 are FW0.23, I need them from FW0.24 or 22, but not 23. thx.
How did you have source connected before ? straight to TV or thru AVR/soundbar ?

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.

Last edited by HDfury; 07-03-2019 at 06:04 PM.
HDfury is offline  
post #83 of 636 Old 07-03-2019, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Aah ok, I’ll update to .24 and I’ll post new config files

Before Vertex2, I had the ATV4K straight into my Sony TV, no interference from any AVR or sound-bar.

Thank you for your continued support and feedback!
no_cure is offline  
post #84 of 636 Old 07-04-2019, 04:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I purchased the Vertex2. I've not plugged it in yet. I want to include it as a device with my Logitech Harmony Elite remote. Is the Vertex2 included as a device in Harmony's database, as I cannot locate it?

I just want to ensure that when I use one of my 4 devices, the Vertex2 switches to the right input correctly.

Any assistance appreciated.
Jango8 is offline  
post #85 of 636 Old 07-04-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HDfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,423
Mentioned: 619 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jango8 View Post
I purchased the Vertex2. I've not plugged it in yet. I want to include it as a device with my Logitech Harmony Elite remote. Is the Vertex2 included as a device in Harmony's database, as I cannot locate it?

I just want to ensure that when I use one of my 4 devices, the Vertex2 switches to the right input correctly.

Any assistance appreciated.
You asked same question on Support server and via private message, already answered, please choose one way for asking questions and stick with it, it only waste time to post same question in multi locations. thanx.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
HDfury is offline  
post #86 of 636 Old 07-04-2019, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Those configs in post 62 are FW0.23, I need them from FW0.24 or 22, but not 23. thx.

Hello, I've updated Vertex2 to FW 0.24. I'll say it again - using the Webserver is a joy...easy, intuitive and fast!



Anyway, I've attached my latest config...I'm using Automix for my EDID settings with Full Audio and all the right HDR + DV flags checked. Placebo effect or not, DV content via ATV4k Netflix looks better to me now.



Thank you @HDfury !
Attached Files
File Type: txt VERTEX2-CONFIG-7_4_2019.txt (9.8 KB, 4 views)
no_cure is offline  
post #87 of 636 Old 07-04-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HDfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,423
Mentioned: 619 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
Hello, I've updated Vertex2 to FW 0.24. I'll say it again - using the Webserver is a joy...easy, intuitive and fast!



Anyway, I've attached my latest config...I'm using Automix for my EDID settings with Full Audio and all the right HDR + DV flags checked. Placebo effect or not, DV content via ATV4k Netflix looks better to me now.



Thank you @HDfury!
Config looks good to me, the only little thing is may be FULL AUDIO flag, if your soundbar or AVR does not support everything in existence today then using AUDIO OUT instead of Full Audio is better. but if your sound equipment support everything, then you are just fine.


Anyway new update is coming shortly with config import, so from that step you won't have to redo any setting, export config, update to new firmware, import config back and you are done.
no_cure likes this.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
HDfury is offline  
post #88 of 636 Old 07-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
DrMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 753
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 275
I just hooked up the Vertex 2 and I am having issues with HDR 10. I have an OLED LG C8 and when trying to play PS4 in HDR the screen tries to change to HDR but the colors go from bright and vibrant to very washed out. I am using the same cable that I used when I had this connected to my processor so I know it passes HDR. I have changed the EDID settings from Copy TX0 sink to custom 2 and it doesn't change anything. Any help would be appreciated!
DrMichael is offline  
post #89 of 636 Old 07-05-2019, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HDfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,423
Mentioned: 619 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
I just hooked up the Vertex 2 and I am having issues with HDR 10. I have an OLED LG C8 and when trying to play PS4 in HDR the screen tries to change to HDR but the colors go from bright and vibrant to very washed out. I am using the same cable that I used when I had this connected to my processor so I know it passes HDR. I have changed the EDID settings from Copy TX0 sink to custom 2 and it doesn't change anything. Any help would be appreciated!

Make sure to run either FW0.22 for eARC or FW0.24 for ARC (or any of those 2 if you don't use ARC or eARC) and EXPORT CONFIG and add it as attachment.
You are prolly one FW0.23 which had issue with some HDR options getting activated after reboot.
DrMichael likes this.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
HDfury is offline  
post #90 of 636 Old 07-05-2019, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
Config looks good to me, the only little thing is may be FULL AUDIO flag, if your soundbar or AVR does not support everything in existence today then using AUDIO OUT instead of Full Audio is better. but if your sound equipment support everything, then you are just fine.


Anyway new update is coming shortly with config import, so from that step you won't have to redo any setting, export config, update to new firmware, import config back and you are done.
Thank you, I appreciate you 'reviewing' my config setup.

The FULL AUDIO flag works great for my audio setup. The only slight concern I have is, whenever I'm playing a HDR10 disc via Cambridge UHD 4k player for example, the pre/pro plays HBR Audio no problem, but my Sony TV keeps showing message "Unsupported Audio Format. Check your device output" every few seconds.

From my limited knowledge, I believe that most Sony TVs will only accept PCM audio, so the message about High Bit Rate audio makes sense. Somehow, checking/un-checking the Full Audio box in the Vertex2 Web-server seems to cure the issue and the pop-up message on the TV goes away...until I play a new disc that is. No biggie as I have a workaround...just reporting it for wider knowledge.

Selecting AUDIO OUT will not pass through HBR audio to my pre/pro (e.g. DTS Master or Dolby True HD uncompressed audio)...so I won't do that.

EDIT: not home currently so I can't test it, but I think issue is solved.

Selecting "MUTE TX0 AUDIO" under the CONFIG section via the Webserver will solve the Sony pop-up message of "unsupported audio". This will essentially won't send any audio to the TV, retain FULL AUDIO capabilities to my AVR...which is what I want. So for those having similar issue, give that a try.

P.S. Is there a way to send PCM audio to TX0 (where the 4k/HDR/DV TV monitor is) and maintain FULL AUDIO to the AVR @ AUDIO OUT port? Sometimes, other family members won't care to turn on my AVR HT setup and just listen to TV speakers.

Last edited by no_cure; 07-05-2019 at 11:06 AM.
no_cure is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Video Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off