HDFury Vertex2 - Owner's Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #241 of 394 Old 08-03-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 587 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4398 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by drilloav View Post
Hi HDfury
You were assisting me last week with selection from the fury range to help me with my issue - post 4467 in the vertex thread. I now have a vertex 2.
If you recall I want to run from tx0 to my JVC carrying 4k - that works.
I want to run from tx1 to my darbee and onto the JVC hdmi 2 input, this being Limited to 2k - that doesn’t, I get sound only. If I remove the darbee form the chain that route works but I want to use the darbee as discussed.
You suggested I might need something to assist with the darbee issue.
When it failed to work - I did update firmware from v22 to v29 - perhaps I shouldn’t have?
Would appreciate some assistance when you can
I’ll load up config file
Thanks

Hello !

I hardly recall anything but I can read a config and deduct, that is still working

So here you go:

If the config you sent was exported when Darbee was at TX1, then I can conclude that:
Darbee stupidly copy a sink edid capabilities at input even if those capabilities exceed what it can support, this drive autoscaling wrong, but don't worry there is manual adjustments possible especially for such case.

"SINK0": "ILAFPJ--X10J9: 4K60 444 HDR BT2020",

"SINK1": "ILAFPJ--X10J9: 4K60 444 HDR BT2020",

As you see, Darbee simply present the device edid where it is connected "as is". SINK1 is EDID from device connected at TX1 when you exported config.

So AUTOSCALING won't downscale to 1080p in this case, since for autoscaling, the device is 4K60 capable.
So you need to manually change the Autoscaling preset for this:

Go in webserver > SCALER section > AUTOSCALING > everywhere you see default AUTOSENSE value, replace by 1080p
IF still problem, re export config.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 394 Old 08-04-2019, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDfury View Post
?? you had bose at output and input ? that is called a loop and it is not recommended, if there is any reason for such setup, please explain as you need to set CEC off for everything more likely for something like that to work and even then, it cannot be guaranteed since it is not supposed to be hooked up this way.
It was just to take advantage of the information displayed by Vertex 2's OSD with the HDMI inputs of the Bose.
I just learned about the CEC protocol and I understand better the loop problem now.
I have a lot of HDMI devices to connect, for the moment I connected the Bose directly to the TV. Then I will eventually buy a second Vertex 2 or maybe I will install my Vertex 1 in series with the Bose.

Thank you for the technical support in any case, you are very responsive !
post #243 of 394 Old 08-04-2019, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Darbee

Quote:
Hello !

I hardly recall anything but I can read a config and deduct, that is still working

So here you go:

If the config you sent was exported when Darbee was at TX1, then I can conclude that:
Darbee stupidly copy a sink edid capabilities at input even if those capabilities exceed what it can support, this drive autoscaling wrong, but don't worry there is manual adjustments possible especially for such case.

"SINK0": "ILAFPJ--X10J9: 4K60 444 HDR BT2020",

"SINK1": "ILAFPJ--X10J9: 4K60 444 HDR BT2020",

As you see, Darbee simply present the device edid where it is connected "as is". SINK1 is EDID from device connected at TX1 when you exported config.

So AUTOSCALING won't downscale to 1080p in this case, since for autoscaling, the device is 4K60 capable.
So you need to manually change the Autoscaling preset for this:

Go in webserver > SCALER section > AUTOSCALING > everywhere you see default AUTOSENSE value, replace by 1080p
IF still problem, re export config.
Thank you.

Ok I had actually previously tried a bunch of things on the scaler including setting all tx1 parameters to 1080p with no luck.
Did a factory reset and have now tried what you said ie returned it to auto scaling and made everything 1080p - also no luck

So here is what I have done...
I have 2 sources, amazon fire tv and Panasonic bluray player udp-9000, both run to my nad. All cables support 4K and I can get 4K working. I then run one hdmi cable from the 4K enabled output on the nad to the vertex.
Tx0 from vertex goes via optical hdmi to the JVC input 1 and works
Tx1 from vertex goes to the darbee and then into hdmi 2 from JVC and all I get is sound, no video.
If I remove the darbee and route tx1 to JVC hdmi 2, it also works
Both JVC hdmi ins are 4K

I’ll attach 5 files:
Bluray via nad through vertex tx0 to JVC hdmi 1 which works
Bluray via nad through vertex tx1 to JVC hdmi 2 which doesn’t work
2 more exactly as above but using fire tv as source instead - I note the vertex reports the source as blank when the fire tv is in use but the results are the same as for the bluray
A fifth file which is the darbee route for the fire tv but this time I remove the darbee and now it works

Unlike yesterday, I set the output from my bluray to 1080p so it appears to me it’s not a scaling thing perhaps, more an edid issue when darbee joins the party?

As an aside, my vertex 2 doesn’t seem to respond to my harmony elite remote even using an IR blaster next to it, but that’s not the main issue right now.

Thank you

Last edited by drilloav; 08-04-2019 at 10:21 AM. Reason: add files
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 394 Old 08-04-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you.

Ok I had actually previously tried a bunch of things on the scaler including setting all tx1 parameters to 1080p with no luck.
Did a factory reset and have now tried what you said ie returned it to auto scaling and made everything 1080p - also no luck

So here is what I have done...
I have 2 sources, amazon fire tv and Panasonic bluray player udp-9000, both run to my nad. All cables support 4K and I can get 4K working. I then run one hdmi cable from the 4K enabled output on the nad to the vertex.
Tx0 from vertex goes via optical hdmi to the JVC input 1 and works
Tx1 from vertex goes to the darbee and then into hdmi 2 from JVC and all I get is sound, no video.
If I remove the darbee and route tx1 to JVC hdmi 2, it also works
Both JVC hdmi ins are 4K

I’ll attach 5 files:
Bluray via nad through vertex tx0 to JVC hdmi 1 which works
Bluray via nad through vertex tx1 to JVC hdmi 2 which doesn’t work
2 more exactly as above but using fire tv as source instead - I note the vertex reports the source as blank when the fire tv is in use but the results are the same as for the bluray
A fifth file which is the darbee route for the fire tv but this time I remove the darbee and now it works

Unlike yesterday, I set the output from my bluray to 1080p so it appears to me it’s not a scaling thing perhaps, more an edid issue when darbee joins the party?

As an aside, my vertex 2 doesn’t seem to respond to my harmony elite remote even using an IR blaster next to it, but that’s not the main issue right now.

Thank you

I'm OK with all config except this one: Bluray via nad through vertex tx1 to JVC hdmi 2 which doesn’t work > this should work just fine, but more likely darbee have introduced something weird here, if you reboot the unit and try straight this config, I'm sure it will work fine.

For me, it looks like it cannot sync with Darbe, please try setting autoscaling preset to 1080p 8b, if it still does not work, I need to send you special firmware to try out, best is join our discord support server and send message to user hdfury.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
post #245 of 394 Old 08-04-2019, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I'm OK with all config except this one: Bluray via nad through vertex tx1 to JVC hdmi 2 which doesn’t work > this should work just fine, but more likely darbee have introduced something weird here, if you reboot the unit and try straight this config, I'm sure it will work fine.

For me, it looks like it cannot sync with Darbe, please try setting autoscaling preset to 1080p 8b, if it still does not work, I need to send you special firmware to try out, best is join our discord support server and send message to user hdfury.
Sorry I’m not sure what you mean by “reboot the unit and try straight this config” ? Is it referring to the 2nd bit where you say set autoscaling to 1080p 8b?
post #246 of 394 Old 08-04-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry I’m not sure what you mean by “reboot the unit and try straight this config” ? Is it referring to the 2nd bit where you say set autoscaling to 1080p 8b?
You wrote:

Quote:
I’ll attach 5 files: Bluray via nad through vertex tx0 to JVC hdmi 1 which works Bluray via nad through vertex tx1 to JVC hdmi 2 which doesn’t work 2 more exactly as above but using fire tv as source instead - I note the vertex reports the source as blank when the fire tv is in use but the results are the same as for the bluray A fifth file which is the darbee route for the fire tv but this time I remove the darbee and now it works
So this one here:
Quote:
"Bluray via nad through vertex tx1 to JVC hdmi 2 which doesn’t work"
> should work just fine if you just reboot vertex because I think darbee is doing something weird that have led to issue previously.

lowering to 1080p 8b is a test to see if it doesn't sync for bandwidth reason or something else, I suspect something else, that's why I told you to join our discord support server so I can send you special firmware to try.
Anyway, just please try it first and then come to get special firmware if it doesn't help.

Last edited by HDfury; 08-04-2019 at 01:49 PM.
post #247 of 394 Old 08-05-2019, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 135
@HDfury - on behalf of all Vertex 2 owners out there, thank you for your relentless Technical Support! We appreciate your Top Notch products and the fact that you stand behind everything you sell, not matter what! With barely 1 month after releasing the Vertex 2, you already pushed 5 new firmware upgrades - amazing stuff (and I should know, I work in SW world...where sometimes getting new features added or bugs fixed is like moving mountains)

On a related technical note, I have a question regarding sending the best quality audio via HDMI. I could be wrong, but I think I saw many posts earlier you recommending that:

- for those of us with legacy AVR/pre-pro that are NOT capable of handling Dolby MAT and
- not interested in using ARC or CEC features

...we may benefit connecting our AVRs to the TX1 port for better HDMI audio instead of the dedicated Audio Out.

Is there an audio improvement in having that connection, or do I have all this wrong? In my particular setup, TX1 is available as my only Vertex 2 outputs are: TX0 connected to my Sony 940E and Audio Out connected to my legacy pre-pro (which can easily handle Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio codecs but no Dolby MAT that comes from Apple TV4K).

Cheerio!
HDfury likes this.
post #248 of 394 Old 08-05-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
@HDfury - on behalf of all Vertex 2 owners out there, thank you for your relentless Technical Support! We appreciate your Top Notch products and the fact that you stand behind everything you sell, not matter what! With barely 1 month after releasing the Vertex 2, you already pushed 5 new firmware upgrades - amazing stuff (and I should know, I work in SW world...where sometimes getting new features added or bugs fixed is like moving mountains)

On a related technical note, I have a question regarding sending the best quality audio via HDMI. I could be wrong, but I think I saw many posts earlier you recommending that:

- for those of us with legacy AVR/pre-pro that are NOT capable of handling Dolby MAT and
- not interested in using ARC or CEC features

...we may benefit connecting our AVRs to the TX1 port for better HDMI audio instead of the dedicated Audio Out.

Is there an audio improvement in having that connection, or do I have all this wrong? In my particular setup, TX1 is available as my only Vertex 2 outputs are: TX0 connected to my Sony 940E and Audio Out connected to my legacy pre-pro (which can easily handle Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio codecs but no Dolby MAT that comes from Apple TV4K).

Cheerio!

The only difference is that TX1 also have VIDEO signal and not just AUDIO and since it's always 1080p it is compatible with any AVR and any 1080p TV as well.
Yet in some special case with some very specific source and often very cheap android box that barely keep up with the standards you can find one or the other port having slight difference in what they support or output because initial input signal and handshake behavior or update is not as per standards.

post #249 of 394 Old 08-06-2019, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The only difference is that TX1 also have VIDEO signal and not just AUDIO and since it's always 1080p it is compatible with any AVR and any 1080p TV as well.
Yet in some special case with some very specific source and often very cheap android box that barely keep up with the standards you can find one or the other port having slight difference in what they support or output because initial input signal and handshake behavior or update is not as per standards.
Understood - thank you. In that case...I'll stick with the dedicated Audio Out port to connect my legacy pre-pro since I'm only interested in HD audio bits (i.e. no video pass through for the AVR)
post #250 of 394 Old 08-08-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen1000 View Post
@HDfury do you know for which release the audio mute stuff is targeted. I mean no rush, just asking :-)

Let me know how it goes with this one: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...962-080819.bin

post #251 of 394 Old 08-08-2019, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Hello. Is this the least expensive of the HDFury products that allows you to extract the audio a TV sends by eARC to a receiver that doesn't support eARC?
post #252 of 394 Old 08-08-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by family_guy View Post
Hello. Is this the least expensive of the HDFury products that allows you to extract the audio a TV sends by eARC to a receiver that doesn't support eARC?
I have the same question. I own a receiver that is literally the model that isn't allowing for a firmware upgrade to add eARC.
post #253 of 394 Old 08-08-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by family_guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz5000 View Post
I have the same question. I own a receiver that is literally the model that isn't allowing for a firmware upgrade to add eARC.
Yes !

Only Vertex2/Diva and Maestro can do that, and Vertex2 is the cheapest one.
family_guy likes this.

post #254 of 394 Old 08-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Let me know how it goes with this one: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...962-080819.bin

Just got home and tested right away. The pops on reboot are still there. Maybe the mute is not long enough?

My gear: Panasonic TH-42PF11EK pro plasma display + TX-P55VT60E -- Iscan Duo video processor -- i1 display 3 colorimeter -- i1 pro 2 spectrometer -- Apple TV 4K -- WD LIVE TV gen 3.
post #255 of 394 Old 08-08-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just got home and tested right away. The pops on reboot are still there. Maybe the mute is not long enough?
Any improvement for you or nothing at all ? that's what we need to know, thanx.

post #256 of 394 Old 08-08-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Any improvement for you or nothing at all ? that's what we need to know, thanx.
No improvement I'd say.

My gear: Panasonic TH-42PF11EK pro plasma display + TX-P55VT60E -- Iscan Duo video processor -- i1 display 3 colorimeter -- i1 pro 2 spectrometer -- Apple TV 4K -- WD LIVE TV gen 3.
post #257 of 394 Old 08-08-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No improvement I'd say.

So you have pop on reboot only ?

post #258 of 394 Old 08-09-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
So you have pop on reboot only ?
Correct. On reboot of the Apple TV 4K. Other sources do this too of course, but I can reproduce this at will by simply rebooting the Apple TV using the remote (so no power cut).

post #259 of 394 Old 08-09-2019, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Correct. On reboot of the Apple TV 4K. Other sources do this too of course, but I can reproduce this at will by simply rebooting the Apple TV using the remote (so no power cut).
Yes so this update is useless for you, we need feedback from some one who had crack/pop while changing format between pcm <> bitstream

post #260 of 394 Old 08-09-2019, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Yes so this update is useless for you, we need feedback from some one who had crack/pop while changing format between pcm <> bitstream
I had that too when browsing the netflix catalog on the ATV. But that was far less annoying (less loud). I did remark also not having this last night. I'll pay some attention to this too for a more definitive answer.

post #261 of 394 Old 08-09-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had that too when browsing the netflix catalog on the ATV. But that was far less annoying (less loud). I did remark also not having this last night. I'll pay some attention to this too for a more definitive answer.
Yes that is important for us to know because audio mute is added when audio format change, when booting up it's a whole different beast that isn't covered by this update and not sure if that is even possible, in all cases, we need to get feedback on audio format change first.

post #262 of 394 Old 08-10-2019, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I need some help with my Vertex2 configuration please to ascertain if I have the optimal setup for what I have etc.

I am using a Harmony Elite remote control.

I have attached my Config file (displaying when my Xbox One X was turned on). I have also attached a pic of my devices and connection setup. Can you please advise if my configuration correct?

Questions:

I have attached a screenshot of the webserver display when the Xbox One X is turned on. You can clearly see it as the source. The problem I have is that when I turn on my ATV 4K and my Nvidia Shield TV, these two x devices never show up as a source device (like the Xbox One X does). It shoes as a blank space in the source field (2 x screenshots are attached showing this). What is wrong here (Why do the other devices not show up on the webserver?

Why does my Samsung TV show up in the webserver under Info in the In TX0 and In TX1 fields? I only have 1 x display attached to the Vertex2 as depicted in my screenshot of the devices and setup. I am not using HDMI In TX1 (I am just using 1 x TV at In TX0)

I use HDMI Audio Out on the Vertex2 to my Yamaha YSP-5600 soundbar, as it does not pass through HDR.

Do I need to set AUTOSWITCH INPUTS to ON and AUTOSWITCH PRIORITY to On?

What EDID should I set. Currently I have it set as: Custom - Input 0 EDID #11. INPUTS 1-3 are set to: 0 - Follow INPUT 0. Is this correct?

In CEC/EACR, do i need to select Enable CEC and also Enable DD+/ATMOS over ARC? I do not use ARC on my TV and my Yamaha YSP-5600 does use Atmos.

I have noticed that using the Harmony Elite remote and switching to one of the three devices (via activities) is a little slow. The Vertex takes a while to switch to the right input. Anything I should alter there to speed that up?

HDFury - Can you please advise if my setup if optimal and if I'm getting everything I need and of I have the right settings please.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-08-10 HDFury VERTEX2.png
Views:	14
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	2601394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-08-10 HDFury VERTEX2(1).png
Views:	15
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	2601396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-08-10 HDFury VERTEX2(2).png
Views:	14
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	2601398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vertex2 Home Theatre Configuration.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	2601400  
Attached Files
File Type: txt VERTEX2-CONFIG-8_10_2019.txt (10.4 KB, 2 views)
post #263 of 394 Old 08-10-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jango8 View Post
I have attached a screenshot of the webserver display when the Xbox One X is turned on. You can clearly see it as the source. The problem I have is that when I turn on my ATV 4K and my Nvidia Shield TV, these two x devices never show up as a source device (like the Xbox One X does). It shoes as a blank space in the source field (2 x screenshots are attached showing this). What is wrong here (Why do the other devices not show up on the webserver?
Why does my Samsung TV show up in the webserver under Info in the In TX0 and In TX1 fields? I only have 1 x display attached to the Vertex2 as depicted in my screenshot of the devices and setup. I am not using HDMI In TX1 (I am just using 1 x TV at In TX0)
I use HDMI Audio Out on the Vertex2 to my Yamaha YSP-5600 soundbar, as it does not pass through HDR.
Do I need to set AUTOSWITCH INPUTS to ON and AUTOSWITCH PRIORITY to On?
What EDID should I set. Currently I have it set as: Custom - Input 0 EDID #11. INPUTS 1-3 are set to: 0 - Follow INPUT 0. Is this correct?
In CEC/EACR, do i need to select Enable CEC and also Enable DD+/ATMOS over ARC? I do not use ARC on my TV and my Yamaha YSP-5600 does use Atmos.
I have noticed that using the Harmony Elite remote and switching to one of the three devices (via activities) is a little slow. The Vertex takes a while to switch to the right input. Anything I should alter there to speed that up?

All those were already answered.
-If a source does not display SPD info, then there is no name for it, it's the source that send such info, not our devices that guess it out of thin air, some very well known source not sending SPD info are Shield and ATV4K, so you have your answer. Nothing wrong here.
-There is no SAMSUNG TV displayed under TX1, on your screenshot TX1 says : EDID NOT AVAILABLE, since nothing is connected to it, if you are wondering why signal is going to TX1, this is because you have set TX1 to copy TX0, once again, no problem here, all normal.
- You set autoswitch if you want device to autoswitch, if you want to use remove and select input manually then you won't use autoswitch, that is common sense afaik.
- You set EDID accordingly to your setup, if soundbar does not support all sound format in existence today, use AUTOMIX instead of custom EDID. (you can always save a working automix edid to use it as a custom one)
- If you do not use ARC on TV, then not sure why you would enable ARC, looks like conflicting claims.
- Sync time is about 5s max, nothing to do to speed that up or some sources won't handshake correctly, the device is made to support any sources and any sinks and that is not trivial.

post #264 of 394 Old 08-10-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Great. Thank you HDfury
post #265 of 394 Old 08-11-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just purchased a vertex2, it seems to have a lot of possibilities, however I have one issue which I hope you can help me with HDfury.
I have a AppleTV connected to the vertex2, then from the Vertex Tx0 to a Projector (Sony VPL-VW760ES) and the audio out to the AV processor (Audio Storm ISP 3D.16 ELITE), the issue I am having is that I cannot get ATMOS from Netflix to passthrough to the Vertex, when I am playing an Atoms title no sound is playing and the Vertex and storm is reporting “no sound”?
If I change my connections so the ATV is directly connected to the Storm AV processor (with the same HDMI cables) I get Atmos from Netflix, this is without changing any settings, when I introduce the Vertex2 again the sound disappears when playing a Atoms title, all other 5.1 titles have sound.
I guess there is EDID setting that is wrong, I tried several, the custom once, and Automix, now I am running Automix with full audio & Video and have “Full” selected.
I also tried to connect the Storm Audo to Tx1 and selected copy tx1 sink, but with the same result (no sound with Atmos).
Any Ideas?
I have attached the configuration.
As Atmos works without the Vertex2 it cannot be the issue of Dolby MAT as several others have issues with.
BR
Fredrik
Attached Files
File Type: txt VERTEX2-CONFIG-2019-08-11.txt (10.4 KB, 6 views)
post #266 of 394 Old 08-11-2019, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Have you tried toggling the atv’s sound settings back and forth?
Atv 4k seems to need a couple of swiching sound seettings with restarts to get it right. At least mine had.
post #267 of 394 Old 08-12-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rola View Post
Have you tried toggling the atv’s sound settings back and forth?
Atv 4k seems to need a couple of swiching sound seettings with restarts to get it right. At least mine had.
Thank you for the idea, but yes I did, I also restarted av devices (including the ATV) several time between testing the different settings with no luck
As soon as I remove the Vertex from the chain Atmos works directly without any changed settings or hassle.
BR
Fredrik
post #268 of 394 Old 08-12-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikb125 View Post
I just purchased a vertex2, it seems to have a lot of possibilities, however I have one issue which I hope you can help me with HDfury.
I have a AppleTV connected to the vertex2, then from the Vertex Tx0 to a Projector (Sony VPL-VW760ES) and the audio out to the AV processor (Audio Storm ISP 3D.16 ELITE), the issue I am having is that I cannot get ATMOS from Netflix to passthrough to the Vertex, when I am playing an Atoms title no sound is playing and the Vertex and storm is reporting “no sound”?
If I change my connections so the ATV is directly connected to the Storm AV processor (with the same HDMI cables) I get Atmos from Netflix, this is without changing any settings, when I introduce the Vertex2 again the sound disappears when playing a Atoms title, all other 5.1 titles have sound.
I guess there is EDID setting that is wrong, I tried several, the custom once, and Automix, now I am running Automix with full audio & Video and have “Full” selected.
I also tried to connect the Storm Audo to Tx1 and selected copy tx1 sink, but with the same result (no sound with Atmos).
Any Ideas?
I have attached the configuration.
As Atmos works without the Vertex2 it cannot be the issue of Dolby MAT as several others have issues with.
BR
Fredrik
Change CEC ID to VIDEO PROCESSOR, instead of AUDIO SYSTEM w/ARC, since your PJ I suppose do not support ARC.
Change AUDIO FLAG in automix to AUDIO OUT (if you have your sound system at audio out)
Set port selector for TX1 to copy TX0, so if AUDIO OUT gives no sound, you can also try TX1 out.

If no go, please export config when your sound system is at TX1 output, so I can check it's EDID.
When you said ATMOS works from ATV on your sound system, are you testing same content at same resolution or something else ? make comparison using same content, same resolution please.

post #269 of 394 Old 08-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Change CEC ID to VIDEO PROCESSOR, instead of AUDIO SYSTEM w/ARC, since your PJ I suppose do not support ARC.
Change AUDIO FLAG in automix to AUDIO OUT (if you have your sound system at audio out)
Set port selector for TX1 to copy TX0, so if AUDIO OUT gives no sound, you can also try TX1 out.

If no go, please export config when your sound system is at TX1 output, so I can check it's EDID.
When you said ATMOS works from ATV on your sound system, are you testing same content at same resolution or something else ? make comparison using same content, same resolution please.
I tried the settings as proposed, now I get sound but no ATMOS the signal says 7.1 PCM (tried also to restart all devices after changing settings), I switched to TX1 but there I get no sound(?), and I exported the config file with Tx1 plugged in.
Also I use the same show for all tests to ensure same conditions (wu assasins at Netflix).
BR
Fredrik
Attached Files
File Type: txt VERTEX2-CONFIG-2019-08-12.txt (10.5 KB, 4 views)
post #270 of 394 Old 08-12-2019, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Perhaps I can add something useful here to troubleshoot this audio crack/pop issue...and also take the opportunity to ask a related question.

For traceability, my audio chain setup is as follows:
- ATV4k
- Krell 707 3D pre/pro that DOES NOT process Dolby MAT
- Vertex 2 'AUDIO OUT' connects to one of the HDMI inputs of the Krell processor
- speaker setup is 5.2 (thus I can't accurately render Dolby Atmos)

Scenario 1:
- Since adding the Vertex 2 in my setup back in early July, I've set the ATV4k audio settings to 'change format - Dolby Digital 5.1' and I don't recall experiencing any audio pops.
- However, for some Netflix titles (can't recall which ones), the Vertex 2 identifies the incoming audio signal to be "Bitstream". Consequently, my audio processor displays Dolby Digital 5.1.
- Where is this bitstream pass through occurring in my audio chain? I thought that since TV iOS 12 was released, ATV4k doesn't allow bitstream...

Scenario 2:
- As of last week, I've changed my ATV4k's audio settings to 'best available and Dolby Atmos = OFF' - which will pass L-PCM 'uncompressed audio' to my surround sound processor.
- In this configuration, when exiting any Netflix title for example, there's a slight fast acting 'pop' as the system goes to Netflix home menu. The pops aren't loud per se, nothing annoying, but certainly perceptible.
- Moreover, for those Netflix titles that were bitstreamed in Scenario 1, now Vertex 2 identifies and sends PCM 5.1/7.1 signals to my audio processor.

So the audio pops don't bother me, but I do have a related audio question, which is:

"is "Best Available" the recommended ATV4k audio setting?"

By all accounts, LPCM audio has no loss in quality as it is not compressed, so should be identical to DTS HD Master Audio/Dolby TrueHD (if derived from same file codec, not sure if Apple is doing some audio trickery). But over the years, I've been conditioned to always have my bluray player send bitstream audio to my AVR since its audio processing is typically superior to the source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page