Any suggestions for a good, but not too expensive scaler? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-28-2020, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any suggestions for a good, but not too expensive scaler?

So here's my situation: I have a HT setup at the center of which is a 2018 Vizio P65. Everything works well together, however as some may be aware the Vizio TV doesn't have the world's best scaler in it. So for 4k sources, no issue, but for things that are lower rez it might be nice to have an external upsampler that is higher quality. Just something that'll take any resolution of HDMI in and output it in 4k, preferably with no input lag.

So any suggestions that are good but keeping in line with this setup? This is a $1000 TV so I don't want to get a $5000 processor, would be better spent on a new TV in that event.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-28-2020, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycraft View Post
So here's my situation: I have a HT setup at the center of which is a 2018 Vizio P65. Everything works well together, however as some may be aware the Vizio TV doesn't have the world's best scaler in it. So for 4k sources, no issue, but for things that are lower rez it might be nice to have an external upsampler that is higher quality. Just something that'll take any resolution of HDMI in and output it in 4k, preferably with no input lag.

So any suggestions that are good but keeping in line with this setup? This is a $1000 TV so I don't want to get a $5000 processor, would be better spent on a new TV in that event.

Thanks.
the new nvidia shield?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-28-2020, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post
the new nvidia shield?
Does that scale video from arbitrary sources? I'm not really concerned with streaming media, the Roku I use does a good job upscaling and for that matter, a surprising amount of Netflix and suck is 4k these days anyhow. I am looking at other sources like my Switch and so on. So I need to just take arbitrary HDMI, scale it, and then put it back out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-28-2020, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Does that scale video from arbitrary sources? I'm not really concerned with streaming media, the Roku I use does a good job upscaling and for that matter, a surprising amount of Netflix and suck is 4k these days anyhow. I am looking at other sources like my Switch and so on. So I need to just take arbitrary HDMI, scale it, and then put it back out.
Hmm, maybe an hdfury device is what you need.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old 01-30-2020, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 13780 Post(s)
Liked: 11419
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Thanks.
The scaler in the Vizio is why I went with the Samsung Q80 over the Vizio P Series Quantum X.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page