HDMI splitter to 2 different resolution TVs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-26-2020, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HDMI splitter to 2 different resolution TVs

I have a 4K HDR/Dolby Vision TV and a second 1080p TV in a different area of the same room. I am looking for a 1x2 or 2x2 splitter to use both TVs at the same time. My understanding is that virtually all splitters will automatically downres to the lowest resolution TV in this case. My question: if the lower resolution TV is connected but not turned on, will the splitter then send 4K HDR to the 4K TV? Thanks for any assistance!

Sony XBR77A9G / Apple TV 4k / Marantz SR6014 AVR / Norh Le Amp Mono Amp (2) /
Axiom M80 L/R / Axiom VP 150 C / Axiom M2 (2) Surrounds / Sonance MAG6R (4) Heights /
SVS 20-39PC Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-26-2020, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 331
while I would imagine the answer is a probable yes, dare I ask, why not get a second 4K tv and have the best/same resolution going to both simultaneously?

yes, I understand money may be tight, but, i'm speaking from a technical point of view. because, when your enjoying a beautiful 4K/DV picture streamed to your 4k set and someone turns on the 1080p tv and your 4k now gets 1080p (after blinking a couple of times to conform) you won't be happy about it not one bit.

best of luck, keep us posted and stay safe!

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XSP-1, XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps, ATV4K 32gb
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
post #3 of 5 Old 04-27-2020, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 688 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5447 Post(s)
Liked: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
I have a 4K HDR/Dolby Vision TV and a second 1080p TV in a different area of the same room. I am looking for a 1x2 or 2x2 splitter to use both TVs at the same time. My understanding is that virtually all splitters will automatically downres to the lowest resolution TV in this case. My question: if the lower resolution TV is connected but not turned on, will the splitter then send 4K HDR to the 4K TV? Thanks for any assistance!
you can use Vertex1, Vertex2, Integral2, Diva or Maestro for that.

It will allow simultaneously 4K and 1080p on both outputs from a main 4K input.
However, this will only work for non HDR and non DV signal, if you want to play 4K HDR from input and send 4K HDR to one TV and 1080p SDR to another TV, then only HDfury Diva will work.

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-27-2020, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks solarrdadd and HDfury for your responses.

To clarify my situation, both TV’s are in a large open kitchen/dining area. The cheapo 24” 1080p TV sits on the countertop under some cabinets. It is used as a 2nd TV for whoever is doing food prep/washing dishes. I considered getting a 4k HDR TV for that area, but I’m not aware of any in that small size, other than perhaps a monitor. With added speakers, that would take up too much counterspace.

This TV isn’t used that much, and I could live with watching 1080p on the 4k set when both are in use. But when we’re just using the 4k set, obviously I want to see 4k. I did read in someone’s description of some forgotten splitter that if the 1080p TV is not turned on, the 4k set will display 4k, i.e. the splitter won’t recognize that a 1080p set is even available. But, since the physical connection (HDMI cable) between the splitter and the 1080p set is still there, I wasn’t sure if this was true or that it applied to ALL splitters. I suspect it is and does, and this is probably a dumb question, but I wanted to be sure. I guess I could always contact the manufacturer of the splitter(s) I’m considering for clarification.

HDfury, I will check out the Diva.

Sony XBR77A9G / Apple TV 4k / Marantz SR6014 AVR / Norh Le Amp Mono Amp (2) /
Axiom M80 L/R / Axiom VP 150 C / Axiom M2 (2) Surrounds / Sonance MAG6R (4) Heights /
SVS 20-39PC Sub
post #5 of 5 Old 04-27-2020, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 688 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5447 Post(s)
Liked: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
Thanks solarrdadd and HDfury for your responses.

To clarify my situation, both TV’s are in a large open kitchen/dining area. The cheapo 24” 1080p TV sits on the countertop under some cabinets. It is used as a 2nd TV for whoever is doing food prep/washing dishes. I considered getting a 4k HDR TV for that area, but I’m not aware of any in that small size, other than perhaps a monitor. With added speakers, that would take up too much counterspace.

This TV isn’t used that much, and I could live with watching 1080p on the 4k set when both are in use. But when we’re just using the 4k set, obviously I want to see 4k. I did read in someone’s description of some forgotten splitter that if the 1080p TV is not turned on, the 4k set will display 4k, i.e. the splitter won’t recognize that a 1080p set is even available. But, since the physical connection (HDMI cable) between the splitter and the 1080p set is still there, I wasn’t sure if this was true or that it applied to ALL splitters. I suspect it is and does, and this is probably a dumb question, but I wanted to be sure. I guess I could always contact the manufacturer of the splitter(s) I’m considering for clarification.

HDfury, I will check out the Diva.
Integral2, Vertex1, Vertex2, Diva and Maestro, will allow you to get 4K to your 4K TV always, no matter if 1080p TV is up or not. so they are doing exactly what you are asking here.

Diva also allow to play 4K HDR on 4K TV and 1080p SDR to 1080p SDR TV, if you don't use Diva for 4K HDR with both displays up at the same time, then the 1080p TV will have wrong color. (as you need HDR > SDR conversion for the 1080p stream to have good colors and only Diva have HDR > SDR converter)

Maestro: 4I/4O +4K HDR over HDBT +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver. [Won Best Product Award]
Diva: 4I/3O +Ambient Light +Lag Tester +4K HDR > 1080p SDR +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +autoswitch +webserver.
Vertex2: 4I/3O +Autoswitch any sources +HDMI/ARC/eARC sound to AVR input +webserver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page