Sennheiser HD650 vs HD700 - Which one? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By sladi75
  • 1 Post By sladi75

post #1 of 22 Old 11-20-2015, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Send a message via AIM to HoosierBanker Send a message via Yahoo to HoosierBanker Send a message via Skype™ to HoosierBanker
Sennheiser HD650 vs HD700 - Which one?

I myself am currently in the market for upgrading to a higher end set of cans. I'm currently using the the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, which are fine for when I'm gaming and casually listening to music while multi-tasking. However, I'm itching to pull the trigger on either the Sennheiser HD-650 or the HD-700, I'm just having a really hard time making a decision.

So for those of you who have either or both, would you mind putting in your two cents? Thanks!

P.S. Adorama currently has the HD-650 for only $299, which is a heck of a deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-21-2015, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Neither. HD 650 is better of those two, but HD 600 is even better (650 has <1 kHz level too much elevated). HD 700 has blatant attenuation between 1 - 5 kHz i.e. is severely colored reproducer against its older siblings.

P.S. Frequency response of headphone tells quite promptly how neutral headphone is. Here yoy can see response graphs yourself and make comparisons:

http://www.headphone.com/pages/build...phones&graphID[0]=703&graphID[1]=&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0
post #3 of 22 Old 11-22-2015, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to HoosierBanker Send a message via Yahoo to HoosierBanker Send a message via Skype™ to HoosierBanker
Sladi75 - thank you so much for the reply. Honestly, I had considered going with the HD600's, however, due to the fact that my ATH-M50x cans are great at being fairly neutral I wanted something that would dig a little deeper into the bass realm and also provide me with a wider sound stage.

Now I will admit that I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to the tech/engineering of sound and headsets, meaning your post lost me because I didn't fully understand what that all means - I'm just now getting into learning about this stuff so you'll have to forgive me there.

Lastly, I know the HD700's get a lot of crap thrown at them, however, from what I have ready they are known to provide a very wide soundstage and can dig deeper into the low frequency range (lower than the HD600 & HD650). Are they really that bad?

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-22-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1435
Here are some measurements:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD700.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

I have a pair of HD650. I didn't do any listening comparisons, I just bought them one day.

I'll be back later...

System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI with AcourateDRC > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
post #5 of 22 Old 11-22-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierBanker View Post
Sladi75 - thank you so much for the reply. Honestly, I had considered going with the HD600's, however, due to the fact that my ATH-M50x cans are great at being fairly neutral I wanted something that would dig a little deeper into the bass realm and also provide me with a wider sound stage.

Now I will admit that I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to the tech/engineering of sound and headsets, meaning your post lost me because I didn't fully understand what that all means - I'm just now getting into learning about this stuff so you'll have to forgive me there.

Lastly, I know the HD700's get a lot of crap thrown at them, however, from what I have ready they are known to provide a very wide soundstage and can dig deeper into the low frequency range (lower than the HD600 & HD650). Are they really that bad?
It means HD 600 and HD 650 are both excellent headphones, which target neutrality. As real Hi-Fi -equipment should. HD 700 on the other hand, do not aim to neutral sound any more: its upper midrange/lower treble is attenuated. It has noticeable own "sound signature" to lure/please/ease listening fatique of audiophile customers etc whatever commercial Lo-Fi BS-reason.

Last edited by sladi75; 11-22-2015 at 05:53 PM.
post #6 of 22 Old 11-22-2015, 05:48 PM

Excellent set of measurements, except right driver of that measured HD 600 -individual is clearly defective. Maybe the very same one Innerfidelity "modified" in this video (time 8.20)?

Last edited by sladi75; 11-22-2015 at 05:54 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-22-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1435
Quote:
Originally Posted by sladi75 View Post
Excellent set of measurements, except right driver of that measured HD 600 -individual is clearly defective.
One of the "features" of the HD650 is/was their claim of better matching of drivers - I suppose they pick pairs off the production line somehow.

From the Owner's manual:

"Systems with narrow tolerances (+/- 1dB) hand picked in pairs."

$299, as mentioned above, is about as low a price as I've seen.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheise...context=browse

http://www.adorama.com/sehd650.html

Not cheap right now, though.

I'll be back later...

System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI with AcourateDRC > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
post #8 of 22 Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Adorama is where I purchased them for only $299.99, so it must have been a quick 24-48hr sale. Glad I pulled the trigger when I did. I figure'd that I should going ahead and try them out now while they have such a great deal, and they have a 30 day return policy at no expense. I'm still going to keep my eyes out for a deal on the HD-700's just so I can give them a go around for comparison reasons.

The next hard part is determining which DAC and headphone amp to purchase to go with them. As of now, I'm considering 3 options:

1)Schiit Magni 2 (amp) and Modi 2 (DAC)

2) DarkVoice 336SE (tube amp)

3) Little Dot Mark III (tube amp)

Feel free to chime in on these as well if you'd like.
post #9 of 22 Old 11-24-2015, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What music do you mostly listen to?

I recently tested the HD700, HD650 and HD600, and to me out of the 3 I disliked the 700's the most. Although they're good I'm sure, I just found them boring, dull and lifeless. Then tried the 650 and 600, and found them to offer a much more pleasant experience. Both I found to be great cans and I couldn't decide which I preferred between the 2. I liked the clean sound and true sound of the 600's, but I also really enjoyed the warmth of the 650's. Was listening to Robert Plant & Alison Krauss while I tested both and I liked the almost sense of mystery the 650's added to Alison Krauss's voice. Took me a good week and multiple demos to decide which, but in the end I settled for the 650's to compliment a pair of Grados I recently picked up.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-24-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EekOz View Post
I recently tested the HD700, HD650 and HD600, and to me out of the 3 I disliked the 700's the most. Although they're good I'm sure, I just found them boring, dull and lifeless.
HD 700 is not good as headphone, because their sound has one octave wide [email protected] kHz -dip i.e. they sound like ****. As a trofee etc. showcase stored collection-item they may of course be good.

That´s what happens when manufacturer goes playing commercial hifi-voodoo and by pursuit of licking audiophile customers ass... wallets, abandons neutral sonic target.
Everyone can simulate Senn´s new top offerings (HD 700 & 800) sound by making one octave wide [email protected] kHz -dip, by foobar2000 EQ for example. "Boring, dull and lifeless" are the exact adjectives which come to mind about that sonical presentation.

Had myself HD 800 almost 5 years, just replaced them to good old HD 600. Of course their craftmanship was like S-class Mercedes and whole appearance just exhaled quality. Thats why its even more unfortunate that their sonical balansing is so unneutral. Took years to admit it, even from me.
EekOz likes this.
post #11 of 22 Old 11-27-2015, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For the money I'd recommend the HD650's. Properly amp'd they sound really good and are quite forgiving for most music genres.

Mike
post #12 of 22 Old 11-27-2015, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the words of advice.

I did pull the trigger on the 650's and to accompany them I also purchased the Schiit "Stack" - comprising of the Magni 2 (amp) and Modi 2 Uber (DAC). I have already taken delivery of the 650's and so far they sound good, however, until the stack arrives I know I'm not even close to hearing their full potential (without an amp that is).

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to putting some hours of listening time in.

~Cheers
post #13 of 22 Old 11-27-2015, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
According to me you should go with this HD700.
post #14 of 22 Old 11-28-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierBanker View Post
Thanks everyone for the words of advice.

I did pull the trigger on the 650's and to accompany them I also purchased the Schiit "Stack" - comprising of the Magni 2 (amp) and Modi 2 Uber (DAC). I have already taken delivery of the 650's and so far they sound good, however, until the stack arrives I know I'm not even close to hearing their full potential (without an amp that is).

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to putting some hours of listening time in.

~Cheers
Congrats! Enjoy them.
The amp will make a world of difference...

Mike
post #15 of 22 Old 11-29-2015, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyjbrittain View Post
According to me you should go with this HD700.
Honestly, I was leaning that direction Judyjbrittain. However, for the simple fact that spending $500+ on headphones wasn't really a realistic budget for me - and that's in addition to the amp/dac combo that I knew I needed to get, purchasing the HD650's at such a discounted price of only $299 was the no brainer.

Coming from a pair of AudioTechnica ATH-50MxBL cans (which are still good), any of the models starting at the HD600 and up would be quite an upgrade. I'm sure I can find contentment in the 650's and from what I have read and have been told, I think they will more than meet my needs.

Now, who's to say that down the road I may dabble with a pair of 700's, but it would have to be one hell of a deal!

~Cheers
post #16 of 22 Old 11-30-2015, 08:43 AM

Headphone is as headphone does - The Truth about Senn´s top-lineup

natchie likes this.
post #17 of 22 Old 12-04-2015, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I have the hd600 and a friend has the hd700. Aside from build quality and comfort, I don't think one sounds better than the other. I actually prefer my 600 although they're both very comfortable. The 700 sounds too distant and analytical for me
post #18 of 22 Old 12-29-2015, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
650 for sure. the 700 isnt a very high rated headphone by many.
post #19 of 22 Old 02-05-2016, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Now that some time has passed and I have spent several hours listeding to the 650's paired with my Schiit stack, I'm proud to say that I'm perfectly content and pleased with my selection.

Surprisingly, I also purchased the 700's on a day where Amazon had them priced lower than usual. I paired them with my Schiit DAC/Amp combo and unfortunately, I was incredibly disappointed. I honestly wanted to like them, contrary to the many many reviews that scold them, but the reviews were right. They were incredibly comfortable on my head, I LOVED the shape of the earpads/muffs, and the weight was manageable. But, and trust me when I say it's a big BUT...........the sound just was not there. I found them to be incredibly fatiguing and also very confusing. Compared to the 650's where everything just breathes and sounds fantastic, the 700's always had me questioning myself, "Did I hear that the way I think I just did?" Not exactly the lack of confidence and satisfaction you want listening to a set of "high end" cans and especially a set in that price range. Within 1 day of listening, I boxed them up already had them being returned via UPS.

Now, I still have no had the opportunity to listen to a set of 600's, but I'm sure that time will come. And I'm enthusiastic about the opportunity when it does happen - being able to compare them to the 650's.

I will also add, that at the beginning of the thread I mentioned trying to decide on what Amp/DAC I was going to go with, and you all know by now that I decided on the Schiit Magni 2 & Modi 2 Uber. Well, I also pulled the trigger on the DarkVoice 336SE via www.massdrop.com and I'm enjoying the warm/organic sound signature that a tube amp has to offer.

Thanks again for all your words of advice and recommendations, I really apprciate it.
post #20 of 22 Old 02-06-2016, 12:47 PM

^^^^
Interesting. I haven't spent much time with the HD700's but, I can tell you that the HD650's have always impressed (when properly amp'd).
The HD650's are a fantastic sounding headphone and it is difficult to find a better headphone for the money...I sure haven't.

I've recently added the HifiMan HE-560's to my collection and I'm thoroughly enjoying their sound while paired with my Byrston BHA-1.

Mike
post #21 of 22 Old 02-07-2016, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I haven't heard the hd 700's but I own the 650's and I can say that they are great for what they do
post #22 of 22 Old 02-15-2016, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I run my HD600s through a Magni/Modi combo and I think they sound amazing together. With that said, I briefly tested the HD650s with my setup and they sounded warmer with more bass. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if you're specifically looking for something that's a bit more exciting, then I'd probably look at the HD650s.

I don't have any experience with the HD700s, unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Tags
Sennheiser Hd 650 Headphones , sennheiser hd 700

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page