Headphones With Bluray Player? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 02-11-2016, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Headphones With Bluray Player?

Hello,

Planning to purchase a Bluray and I REALLY would like to use my headphones. Here's the deal:

(1)I'm in an apartment and want to be a considerate neighbor. Therefore, booming surround sound is not an option. Thus, if at all possible, I'd love a Bluray player that could SOMEHOW work with my Sennheiser 598 headphones. I've looked around and apparently there practically no Bluray players in existence that have either a 3.5mm jack or a 1/4 jack. Can anyone point me to a Bluray player that actually supports headphones?

(2) Let's assume the answer is no for number 1. Assuming headphones are a no-go, can anyone suggest an apartment friendly sound system? No subs probably since I don't want bass disturbing the folks beneath me. Would monitor speaker stands help with the floor rumbling thing? Sorry for being less headphone related.

Thanks so much! Just bought an external Bluray drive for my laptop and was disappointed when Leawo stopped working in just one day. Guess I know why I heard so many horror stories about the PC Bluray scene...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-11-2016, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 163
1) I don't know of any

2) Why not just buy an A/V receiver, and plug the Blu-ray and headphones into that?

I have those headphones also, and I love them
post #3 of 22 Old 02-11-2016, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
1) I don't know of any
2) Why not just buy an A/V receiver, and plug the Blu-ray and headphones into that?
Let's say I buy an AVR and a Blu Ray player. Given the cost of receivers, I could instead just buy a PS4 and this thing and just like that I'd have a console and Blu Ray player that I could use with my headphones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-11-2016, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Another option is a DAC with headphone amp - plug the blu Ray player's digital out into the DAC, and headphones into the DAC and you're done.

Make sure you set the Blu Ray player to PCM out only via digital. I think practically all players have a SPDIF or TOSLINK output still. If yours has line level stereo, then you only need a headphone amp, but analog outputs are rare on most players.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-12-2016, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Another option is a DAC with headphone amp - plug the blu Ray player's digital out into the DAC, and headphones into the DAC and you're done.

Make sure you set the Blu Ray player to PCM out only via digital. I think practically all players have a SPDIF or TOSLINK output still. If yours has line level stereo, then you only need a headphone amp, but analog outputs are rare on most players.
Thing is, paying for a DAC / Amp combo and a Bluray player would probably cost enough that I may as well buy a PS4 and this. Bam, just like that I can game, watch Blurays, and use my Sennheisers.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-12-2016, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can find a ps4 for $50-100? Because that box is a DAC/amp, and a new Blu-Ray player can be had for $50, $100 if you want a fancy one with 4k up scaling and 3D and apps.

The only downside is it only does Dolby so DTS Blu-rays need to be down mixed by the player. DTS is on around 80% of Blu-rays, so you may just leave the player to PCM mode.

But that box does exactly what you need, and is what I was talking about.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-13-2016, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You can find a ps4 for $50-100? Because that box is a DAC/amp, and a new Blu-Ray player can be had for $50, $100 if you want a fancy one with 4k up scaling and 3D and apps.

The only downside is it only does Dolby so DTS Blu-rays need to be down mixed by the player. DTS is on around 80% of Blu-rays, so you may just leave the player to PCM mode.

But that box does exactly what you need, and is what I was talking about.
Assuming I get a Bluray player that can't do headphones as is, I get an amp / dac. Even the non Uber Schiit stack would be over $200. Combine that with maybe $100 more for a Bluray player and I'm already above $300. At that point I might as well get a PS4 for a little more, even though I don't want one that much.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-13-2016, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What's wrong with that box from amazon?

Because the same reasoning applies if you go ps4 - you still need to connect the optical out to a DAC/amp, and if you want the $200 DAC, you'll still need it for the ps4.

You are trying to justify a really nice DAC/amp with a Blu-Ray player, and comparing that to a ps4 with a cheap DAC/amp.

The DAC/amp you want is needed regardless of whether you go Blu Ray player or ps4. You want the Schiit DAC/amp? You need it for both ps4 and Blu-Ray player. You want the cheap turtle beach one? Again, it works for both.

Neither the ps4 nor the Blu-Ray player does headphones. The ps4 has a headset connection, but that's for chat (and the remote doesn't have a headphone jack, assuming you want a remote and not use a controller).
post #9 of 22 Old 02-14-2016, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 701
I do know of one bluray player that has a built in headphone amp and jack. Oppo bp-105. It's about 1200 bucks.

I'd find a blue ray player with audio out (red/white connectors) and buy a small headphone amp. I use a firestone audio cute beyond. An alternative would be to use an AVR with a headphone jack. For TV the blu ray player won't work so I use an optical to a Denon 3311 from the cable box and then use the denon headphone jack.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-14-2016, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What's wrong with that box from amazon?

Because the same reasoning applies if you go ps4 - you still need to connect the optical out to a DAC/amp, and if you want the $200 DAC, you'll still need it for the ps4.

You are trying to justify a really nice DAC/amp with a Blu-Ray player, and comparing that to a ps4 with a cheap DAC/amp.

The DAC/amp you want is needed regardless of whether you go Blu Ray player or ps4. You want the Schiit DAC/amp? You need it for both ps4 and Blu-Ray player. You want the cheap turtle beach one? Again, it works for both.

Neither the ps4 nor the Blu-Ray player does headphones. The ps4 has a headset connection, but that's for chat (and the remote doesn't have a headphone jack, assuming you want a remote and not use a controller).
My assumption was that the DSS only works with game consoles, not dedicated Bluray players. If I'm wrong, then yeah, I could use it with a normal Bluray player and I'd love that.

I know audiophiles wouldn't approve of such a low end device, but hey, these cans sound good coming from my laptop alone.
post #11 of 22 Old 02-14-2016, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, the DSS works with Blu-Ray players... In fact in the description...

Quote:
S/PDIF-to-Analog Converter

In Bypass mode, the Ear Force DSS becomes an audio converter that accepts a digital optical input and outputs a decoded analog signal. This allows you to connect a digital source such as a game console or Blu-ray/DVD player to other devices such as a home theater receiver via standard stereo analog audio connections.
Though I don't know why they say bypass mode since it's an optical input (those devices connect via optical from the source - Blu-Ray, ps3/4 xbox360/one etc) to headphones or line level.

And it is only low cost because it's old and not sold anymore - when it was on store shelves it retailed for $100 or so. Which is cheap for a DAC, but not unheard of.

The only thing you need to make sure of is that your player has an optical out - it's fairly random which ones have coax and which ones have optical.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-17-2016, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, the DSS works with Blu-Ray players... In fact in the description...

Though I don't know why they say bypass mode since it's an optical input (those devices connect via optical from the source - Blu-Ray, ps3/4 xbox360/one etc) to headphones or line level.

And it is only low cost because it's old and not sold anymore - when it was on store shelves it retailed for $100 or so. Which is cheap for a DAC, but not unheard of.

The only thing you need to make sure of is that your player has an optical out - it's fairly random which ones have coax and which ones have optical.
Snap, sorry for not noticing that even the description itself points that out. I have no idea why, but for some reason I imagined that this thing would involve driver software or something and therefore was meant for specific devices. Maybe I thought that the USB was used for more than power, in which case not every device would know how to "talk" to it.

But yeah, it should totally work I guess.
post #13 of 22 Old 02-21-2016, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just remembered another option - a portable Blu-Ray player. Won't have 3d or bd-live but will have HDMI out and headphones out. Most expensive option at around $150-200 though.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-22-2016, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'm just curious, and don't know all the issues. Won't virtually any DVD player have analog RCA audio out? And you can probably buy an RCA -> headphone adapters on eBay for a few dollars. E.g.:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Stereo...wAAOSwCypWpe4e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-RCA-male-t...8AAMXQ855RuT~1
post #15 of 22 Old 02-22-2016, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not DVD players - Blu-Ray players. And few have analog outputs, but practically all have digital outs.
post #16 of 22 Old 02-24-2016, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 830
I have the TB DSS and it does works. I used it mainly for Xbox gaming though.
post #17 of 22 Old 02-26-2016, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any link to buy it in Spain?
post #18 of 22 Old 02-26-2016, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try a used gaming accessory store - those things were sold a few years ago and are now basically dead.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-03-2016, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 58
1. Many (most?) portable Blu-Ray players have headphone jacks built in. Oh, someone else said that already.

If you are playing the signal through your TV, many have headphone jacks too. This is a big advantage, because you can do it while watching TV too.

Quote:
Not DVD players - Blu-Ray players. And few have analog outputs, but practically all have digital outs.
AFAIK all blu-Ray players also play DVDs, so they are DVD players. Mine does - it was a bottom of the barrel model from Best Buy, on sale. With an added feature, that lets them play Blu-Ray disks too.

Maybe the o.p. could go to a Salvation Army (early, so they are well stocked), and get an older DVD player that has analog outputs... I just searched at ebay.com, for

blu ray rca

and found a bunch there too.

I think some of the new Blu-Ray players at Best Buy have them too - they are listed as something like "coaxial audio outputs" (but not coaxial digital audio outputs), under the Specifications tab bar. Though I would personally go to the manufacturer sites, and find the user's manual, and LOOK at the picture of the back of the player to make sure. (Oddly enough, none of the 4K players seem to have analog audio output - maybe they think people who are that upscale don't believe in analog?)

>Just bought an external Bluray drive for my laptop and was disappointed when
>Leawo stopped working in just one day. Guess I know why I heard so many horror
>stories about the PC Bluray scene...

Can you be specific about exactly what stopped working, and how? Also do you remember what you changed on the PC before it stopped working? For example, did you update drive firmware? When you aren't doing anything, and run Task Manager (show processes from all users!), what % of time is in the System Idle Process - it should be at least 97% or 98%. If not, you've got other tasks or start-up programs monopolizing your system.

Does the drive still work as a data DVD drive on your PC?

I've played blu-ray disks on my PC, no problems. Though mine is a desktop, and NOT external. External anything on PCs is asking for trouble - USB is pretty unreliable.

I've also played Blu-Ray disks on that bottom of the line Blu-Ray player into my TV, headphones plugged in to TV, no problems.

Oh, wait... Does "Leawo" mean you are trying to copy copyrighted Blu-Ray disks? Some of your software (e.g., Windows) may have updated, and disabled copying. E.g., Microsoft software licenses give them the right to do that. I can't help you.

Last edited by MRG1; 03-03-2016 at 05:14 PM.
post #20 of 22 Old 03-04-2016, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post
1. Many (most?) portable Blu-Ray players have headphone jacks built in. Oh, someone else said that already.

If you are playing the signal through your TV, many have headphone jacks too. This is a big advantage, because you can do it while watching TV too.

AFAIK all blu-Ray players also play DVDs, so they are DVD players. Mine does - it was a bottom of the barrel model from Best Buy, on sale. With an added feature, that lets them play Blu-Ray disks too.

Maybe the o.p. could go to a Salvation Army (early, so they are well stocked), and get an older DVD player that has analog outputs... I just searched at ebay.com, for

blu ray rca

and found a bunch there too.

I think some of the new Blu-Ray players at Best Buy have them too - they are listed as something like "coaxial audio outputs" (but not coaxial digital audio outputs), under the Specifications tab bar. Though I would personally go to the manufacturer sites, and find the user's manual, and LOOK at the picture of the back of the player to make sure. (Oddly enough, none of the 4K players seem to have analog audio output - maybe they think people who are that upscale don't believe in analog?)

>Just bought an external Bluray drive for my laptop and was disappointed when
>Leawo stopped working in just one day. Guess I know why I heard so many horror
>stories about the PC Bluray scene...

Can you be specific about exactly what stopped working, and how? Also do you remember what you changed on the PC before it stopped working? For example, did you update drive firmware? When you aren't doing anything, and run Task Manager (show processes from all users!), what % of time is in the System Idle Process - it should be at least 97% or 98%. If not, you've got other tasks or start-up programs monopolizing your system.

Does the drive still work as a data DVD drive on your PC?

I've played blu-ray disks on my PC, no problems. Though mine is a desktop, and NOT external. External anything on PCs is asking for trouble - USB is pretty unreliable.

I've also played Blu-Ray disks on that bottom of the line Blu-Ray player into my TV, headphones plugged in to TV, no problems.

Oh, wait... Does "Leawo" mean you are trying to copy copyrighted Blu-Ray disks? Some of your software (e.g., Windows) may have updated, and disabled copying. E.g., Microsoft software licenses give them the right to do that. I can't help you.
Posted this thread a while ago. Update: Nevermind, I got Leawo working. For now I can watch BD Discs on my laptop using headphones and an external USB Bluray optical drive. No, I'm not copying anything. Leawo has a free Bluray player software that I'm using. My experience has been that every single Bluray player that I've looked up does not in fact have a headphone jack of any kind. Not planning on getting a TV. Gonna use a monitor.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-16-2016, 06:37 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 1728
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post
I'm just curious, and don't know all the issues. Won't virtually any DVD player have analog RCA audio out? And you can probably buy an RCA -> headphone adapters on eBay for a few dollars. E.g.:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Stereo...wAAOSwCypWpe4e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-RCA-male-t...8AAMXQ855RuT~1
A player with RCA outputs could work. But you'd need more than just a Y-adapter, because the impedances won't match, and there's no way to control the volume. If you have a player with RCA outputs though, you could just run those into a little solid state headphone amp with RCA to 1/4" or 1/8" cables. The amp will provide volume control and drop the impedance to a better level (usually around 50 Ohms) for the headphones.

If you're going to invest in an amp though, then the DAC/amp approach makes a lot of sense, because you don't need a player with RCA outputs (which are mostly obsolete now).

You can still find some low-cost players with RCA outputs on the internet though. Amazon has the Sony BDP-S185 with RCA outs for $50. That was the base model in 2013, so it has no Wifi or 3D, and it will probably vibrate with some discs due to its lightweight plastic construction. It has LAN though for wired internet service, is fanless, and should have pretty decent PQ and upscaling, like my BDP-S390.

My setup works like this btw...

Sony BDP-S390 player >>> (RCA to XLR) >>> DBX 231s Graphic EQ >>> (XLR) >>> Variable Volume Attenuator >>> (L/R 1/4" to Stereo 1/4") >>> AKG K553 headphones.

There's no amp needed in this arrangement because the line level output on the player is loud enough to drive the graphic EQ and headphones without amplification, and the XLR outputs on the EQ are 50 ohms.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 03-17-2016 at 07:55 PM.
post #22 of 22 Old 03-18-2020, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
A player with RCA outputs could work. But you'd need more than just a Y-adapter, because the impedances won't match, and there's no way to control the volume. If you have a player with RCA outputs though, you could just run those into a little solid state headphone amp with RCA to 1/4" or 1/8" cables. The amp will provide volume control and drop the impedance to a better level (usually around 50 Ohms) for the headphones.

If you're going to invest in an amp though, then the DAC/amp approach makes a lot of sense, because you don't need a player with RCA outputs (which are mostly obsolete now).

You can still find some low-cost players with RCA outputs on the internet though. Amazon has the Sony BDP-S185 with RCA outs for $50. That was the base model in 2013, so it has no Wifi or 3D, and it will probably vibrate with some discs due to its lightweight plastic construction. It has LAN though for wired internet service, is fanless, and should have pretty decent PQ and upscaling, like my BDP-S390.

My setup works like this btw...

Sony BDP-S390 player >>> (RCA to XLR) >>> DBX 231s Graphic EQ >>> (XLR) >>> Variable Volume Attenuator >>> (L/R 1/4" to Stereo 1/4") >>> AKG K553 headphones.

There's no amp needed in this arrangement because the line level output on the player is loud enough to drive the graphic EQ and headphones without amplification, and the XLR outputs on the EQ are 50 ohms.
Hi, i'm trying to figure out what i need in order to UP the volume for my headphones via the Sony BDP-S350, i was thinking AMP, but since my headphone are 30 Ohm, a audio interface may work, what do you think between these two, Behringer UM2 U-Phoria 2×2 Audio Interface or LD Systems HPA4 Headphone Amplifier 4 Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page