Crossfade 2 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones by V-Moda Hands-On - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-27-2017, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16169
Crossfade 2 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones by V-Moda Hands-On

V-Moda Crossfade 2 wireless bluetooth over-ear headphones are among the best I've heard when it comes to deep bass response. I genuinely love how they look, sound, and feel.

In this instance, I skipped straight to writing up an official hands-on. Click here to read more: V-Moda Crossfade 2 Bluetooth Headphones Hands-On

Here I am feeling pretty stylish wearing white Crossfade 2s.

-----
The AVS Forum Hands-On Review Process (master list of hands-on threads)

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-27-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-27-2017, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
There is a "nuclear meltdown" over at Head Fi regarding why all the color options don't have APTX or AAC for iPhone users.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #3 of 9 Old 08-27-2017, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
There is a "nuclear meltdown" over at Head Fi regarding why all the color options don't have APTX or AAC for iPhone users.
It makes no sense at all, but "it is what it is," lol.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-27-2017, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
So, when you use them via bluetooth the internal amps power the drivers, but when you connect via the wired option it uses the amp in your device? That seems a bit wasteful, why not just have a converter to take the amplified signal from your device into a line-level signal and send it to the internal amps?

I'm surprised that there are't more internally-amplified wired headphones like what Blue is doing, you could pair the amps for the drivers to get the best results and do away with the need for stand-alone headphone amps that reduce portability and add expense.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #5 of 9 Old 08-27-2017, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
So, when you use them via bluetooth the internal amps power the drivers, but when you connect via the wired option it uses the amp in your device? That seems a bit wasteful, why not just have a converter to take the amplified signal from your device into a line-level signal and send it to the internal amps?

I'm surprised that there are't more internally-amplified wired headphones like what Blue is doing, you could pair the amps for the drivers to get the best results and do away with the need for stand-alone headphone amps that reduce portability and add expense.
I love my Mo-Fis and think they are great headphones, also deep bass champs. The option you mention would be a nice extra, no question, to extend the battery life of a phone a bit. I too am surprised it's not more common.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #6 of 9 Old 08-27-2017, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I love my Mo-Fis and think they are great headphones, also deep bass champs. The option you mention would be a nice extra, no question, to extend the battery life of a phone a bit. I too am surprised it's not more common.
Yeah, Amazon still has Mo-Fis for a decent price (they seem to have been superseded by the Sadie model in their lineup) but I've also been curious about the Ellas, though the price is quite a bit steeper.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #7 of 9 Old 08-28-2017, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

While it's true that I'm done with the hands-on of the Crossfade 2s, and I have numerous other headphones that I need to listen to, I'm taking the opportunity this morning to blast some New Order through 'em during my dog walk. Plastic (extended mix) from the album Complete Music.

New Orders iconic, synth-driven sound has been honed over the years. These seasoned pros deliver studio-perfect beats. In the late 1980s, when I first heard Substance, it catalyzed a quest for higher fidelity audio reproduction that continues to this day.

When I think about what I've done over the years to get thr best possible listening experience out of albums from my favorite artists, it's amazing. Much money, and ultimately tons of equipment. And even specifically for headphones, I used to walk around with a battery and the headphone amp and big headphones that were not intended to be portable. And now, all that's needed is a phone and headphones like these.

As an aside, what's up with those crusty old audiophiles who think streaming music doesn't sound good, or that a pair of fashionable headphones a student headed to college might get as a gift can't perform at a high level? The fact is that people do know what good sound is, because these days it is more accessible than ever.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-28-2017 at 05:50 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-30-2017, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hey Mike,

I just bought the cross fade wireless last year. I have been pretty happy with the performance, but it hurts a little to see that a new version has been released so soon. Can you tell me what I am missing from the cross fade wireless 2 with my cross fade wireless 1? As far as I remebember, the listed frequency response for the 1's is also 5hz to 40000. And I can attest the bass is pretty deep on the 1's. I also own a pair of b and w p7's and the vmodas go much deeper. Anyway, as far as I can tell the newer version folds up smaller, has new colors, and has an option for aptx Bluetooth. If those are the only differences, I can live with it, as long as the drivers/performance are identical.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-12-2017, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I tried the Crossfade 1 wireless with P7 wireless. The V-Moda Crossfade was much warmer. Too deep low sounding not as bright and clear like as the P7 wireless. I didn’t keep either because I like a bit more bass and clear brighter sound. If the P7 w had more bass I’d maybe have kept them. If the Crossfade was ALOT more clear and brighter I might have kept them. Plus the Crossfade did not feel nearly as good on my head as the P7 wireless or any other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Tags
crossfade 2 , headphones , v-moda

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page