Best of CES 2018: Creative Super X-Fi Headphone Technology - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #91 of 92 Old 02-21-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 575 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3563 Post(s)
Liked: 3338
I think this review about sums it up.
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/...exfi_or_suxfi/

Is there a Windows 10 app yet for this? I haven't been able to locate one.

I've settled on keeping mine. I like it okay for gaming at the end of the day. Lately I picked back up playing Witcher 3 on my PC and it works well with that game. It's still the effect of a cheap 5.1 system in a tile bathroom, rather than a any sort of comparison to a true high end surround system for my ears, but I like it a pinch better than just stereo desktop speakers or headphone use in gaming - so I'll keep it in combination with my Sennheiser HD6XX from massdrop. There's no 99% satisfaction level here -- more like meh, 55% or 60%. I sold the bundled Creative headphones for $60 on eBay to help offset the cost of the SXFI. I went 3 weeks without using it, after the first week of ownership if that tells you anything. I game nearly every day, and planned on returning it, but I tried it again on the Witcher 3 and decided I liked it enough to use it/keep it, so I've been using it regularly more recently in my gaming.

@imagic -- did you come away with more conclusions or an further updated opinion on yours after using it in the retail/consumer capacity with the ear pictures instead of inner ear mic capture?

I'm still curious from @Team Super X-Fi if there is any chance of the consumer getting to purchase the inner ear microphone measurement kit? Even if you sold that upgrade kit for $300 bucks or more - I think consumers would be interested. I know what's possible after demoing a Smyth Realizer A16 at Axpona. And I'm looking for something like that - more mainstream reachable (sans $2-$3K pricetag). I was hoping this device would be that - but it clearly is not, at least for me, with the picture based calibration.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | Panasonic PT-AE8000U projector | Jamestown 144" AT 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 92 Old 02-24-2019, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

It's still the effect of a cheap 5.1 system in a tile bathroom,

That's exactly how it sounds! Like a cheap 5.1 system (and all speakers are some kind of subwoofer) in an empty tile bathroom. Absolutely terrible. I got the SXFI Amp 2 weeks ago; did the setup very carefully and this is one of the worst VSS solutions I have ever tried! Even the ancient Dolby Headphone or the free Windows Sonic sound better!

I tried a sample scene with nature sounds (footsteps, wind, waterdrops etc.) in 5.1, it sounds natural and perfect with SXFI OFF. But with SXFI ON everything gets "distorted/deformed" completely. The wind sounds like some kind of jet engine, the waterdrops sound strange and the footsteps do not sound like footsteps anymore.

I simply can't use the SXFI with this "cheap" room acoustics. They need to implement a more neutral preset!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I know what's possible after demoing a Smyth Realizer A16 at Axpona. And I'm looking for something like that - more mainstream reachable (sans $2-$3K pricetag). I was hoping this device would be that - but it clearly is not, at least for me, with the picture based calibration.
Do you know what makes me really angry: All the marketing for the SXFI amp was based on demos with in ear measurements (like a Realizer without head tracking), all the descriptions ("mindblowing!" etc.) were based on this. And what did they sell: another generic HRTF based VSS solution. Maybe they have only 6 HRTF presets? And based on the picture based calibration you get one of those 6 HRTF presets...

At the moment, the SXFI amp is a complete disappointment, I even feel "deceived". I hope we get some software updates for the amp to make it actually usable (different room presets etc.)...

Last edited by FLIR; 03-15-2019 at 03:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Tags
ces 2018 , creative , dolby atmos , super x-fi , x-fi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page