AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Headphones (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/378-headphones/)
-   -   Best of CES 2018: Creative Super X-Fi Headphone Technology (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/378-headphones/2949928-best-ces-2018-creative-super-x-fi-headphone-technology.html)

imagic 01-15-2018 11:48 AM

Best of CES 2018: Creative Super X-Fi Headphone Technology

Is it possible to recreate a Dolby Atmos speaker system with headphones? Can it be done affordably and easily? Creative thinks so, thanks to Super X-Fi. The demo was convincingly good. To read more follow this link, or else just check out the video:

thehun 01-15-2018 07:21 PM

wonder how this measures up against the A16 Realisier.

M.L.S. 01-16-2018 03:32 AM

I must give Creative credit for knowing how to survive throughout the years.

gregoryperkins 01-16-2018 04:17 AM

At $150 I'll buy one, what a great price! Nice demo, I wonder where you can get the demo disc. The Elac system they used for the demo is what I have in my bedroom less the atmos speakers.

dmusoke 01-16-2018 03:01 PM

Finally, maybe now a reason to listen through headphones...

tenthplanet 01-16-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehun (Post 55504750)
wonder how this measures up against the A16 Realisier.

And DTS-X headphone as well as Yamaha Silent Cinema.

markus767 01-18-2018 04:32 AM

FLIR 01-26-2018 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 55501994)
Is it possible to recreate a Dolby Atmos speaker system with headphones? Can it be done affordably and easily? Creative thinks so, thanks to Super X-Fi. The demo was convincingly good. To read more follow this link, or else just check out the video:

https://youtu.be/mAidEm9_JYM

In what kind of "hardware" will this technology be available. Just on PC soundcards or in something external that can be connected to Blu-Ray-Players?

Thank you!

imagic 01-26-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLIR (Post 55573442)
In what kind of "hardware" will this technology be available. Just on PC soundcards or in something external that can be connected to Blu-Ray-Players?

Thank you!

Apparently partial functionality will come in an app that runs on smartphones. A USB dongle that costs $150 and has built-in processing plus amplification will sell for $150 and offer the full effect.

N8DOGG 01-26-2018 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 55573526)
Apparently partial functionality will come in an app that runs on smartphones. A USB dongle that costs $150 and has built-in processing plus amplification will sell for $150 and offer the full effect.

Im going to grab it when it comes out. I had a few friends at CES and they had thr same thoughs as you.

FLIR 01-27-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 55573526)

May I ask: And this USB dongle can be connected to a BluRay-Player (for example the Sony UBP-X700)?

If it should be used for movies (like in the demo video) it somehow has to process Atmos/DTS/Dolby input...

imagic 01-27-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLIR (Post 55581456)
May I ask: And this USB dongle can be connected to a BluRay-Player (for example the Sony UBP-X700)?

If it should be used for movies (like in the demo video) it somehow has to process Atmos/DTS/Dolby input...

I can't really picture someone using headphones with a standalone Blu-ray player to watch movies, although I'm sure there's room for me to be proven wrong. And AFAIK there is no player that supports USB audio out, so I'd guess not. You'd likely need a PC to do that.

Worf 01-28-2018 12:35 AM

I suspect the USB dongle is to get the 5.1 audio data direct from the computer - I've seen it several times before. Instead of licensing a Dolby digital or DTS decoder, they connect to the PC and appear as a multichannel sound card. The PC then presents the audio as a 5.1 stream and it's down mixed by the adapter for headphones.

You won't be able to use it with a Blu-Ray player unless the player is a PC and decodes the multichannel audio.

The other question is does the box do any processing at all, or is it relying on the PC drivers to do the processing internally in software and the box is really a two channel USB audio adapter and amplifier. Certainly at $150 it would seem the box does little.

FLIR 01-28-2018 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf (Post 55584618)
I suspect the USB dongle is to get the 5.1 audio data direct from the computer - I've seen it several times before. Instead of licensing a Dolby digital or DTS decoder, they connect to the PC and appear as a multichannel sound card. The PC then presents the audio as a 5.1 stream and it's down mixed by the adapter for headphones.

You won't be able to use it with a Blu-Ray player unless the player is a PC and decodes the multichannel audio.

The other question is does the box do any processing at all, or is it relying on the PC drivers to do the processing internally in software and the box is really a two channel USB audio adapter and amplifier. Certainly at $150 it would seem the box does little.

Thanks for the explanation! There are more than enough "virtual headphone surround" solutions for PC (even with headtracking)...

What we would really need is a high quality headphone solution for TVs and movies that can be connected via HDMI or Optical to an UHD-Player/TV. There seem to be almost no products on the market, except for the expensive Smyth Realizer (with all its unnecessary pro features) and "Slient Cinema" from Yamaha (downside: the receivers have bad headphone amps).

I don`t believe that I am the only one who wants to watch movies with high quality headphones and some kind of "virtual headphone surround". Some of the available solutions for PC really get the sound "out of your head"; I love them for gaming...

Trogdor796 01-28-2018 07:23 PM

I was also hoping to use this for home theater use. I’ll be moving into an apartment soon and would love a good way to watch Blu rays with high quality headphones, either directly through the player or the receiver. If it does indeed require a pc and drivers that’s unfortunate. Maybe I just completely misread what this product was for. I had assumed at first glance it was a cheaper competitor to Realizer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worf 01-28-2018 10:44 PM

I too was hoping for a cheaper competitor, even though I do have an A16 on order. But given it has a app "lite" mode and the ful version is a $150 USB dongle, I'm not confident it will be a standalone solution. Especially as Creative is a PC company and everything they do is for PC sound typically. It would also make $150 seem a more reasonable price for it and not a wildly cheap surround processor.

In this case, I'm guessing the processing is all done in PC drivers, something Creative is known for. That's why it's a USB dongle - if it was a standalone box, it would be a standalone box.

In this case, the only solution is a pair of older Sony MDR-HW700 headphones which are standalone HDMI audio processors that drive wireless headphones with simulated surround.

Trogdor796 01-29-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf (Post 55590596)
I too was hoping for a cheaper competitor, even though I do have an A16 on order. But given it has a app "lite" mode and the ful version is a $150 USB dongle, I'm not confident it will be a standalone solution. Especially as Creative is a PC company and everything they do is for PC sound typically. It would also make $150 seem a more reasonable price for it and not a wildly cheap surround processor.

In this case, I'm guessing the processing is all done in PC drivers, something Creative is known for. That's why it's a USB dongle - if it was a standalone box, it would be a standalone box.

In this case, the only solution is a pair of older Sony MDR-HW700 headphones which are standalone HDMI audio processors that drive wireless headphones with simulated surround.

Don’t some of Sennheiser’s headphone’s, like the RS 175 and others from that line do virtual surround? Any experience with those? I’ve been exploring my options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Randy Bessinger 01-30-2018 01:02 PM

In my experience, and I have had several headphone surround systems, the only one that gets the sound out of your head is the Smyth Realiser. It does that and more as it can emulate speakers and the room acoustics.

Melih Pekcan 06-07-2018 12:17 AM

does anyone have a chance to visit computex creative room?

there is nothing on youtube such a shame..

etrin 07-26-2018 06:31 PM

computex would have been great for an update?
This might never be released on moved to 19 20.

one other thing, what about open vs closed phones. will this work with both or better with one or the other.

Schubeedoobee 07-31-2018 07:49 AM

I wont be giving up my Focals anytime soon...

Archaea 09-25-2018 04:41 AM

@imagic , did you ever get a chance to demo the Smyth Realalizer A16 at one of the trade shows. I did at Axpona 2017 and it blew my mind. Is this creative product like a little brother? A “good” version of that tech for $150 if you will. I wouldn’t expect it to compare to the $2000 dollar A16, but for the price and functionality of a PC gamer — good might be good enough.

imagic 09-25-2018 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etrin (Post 56550036)
computex would have been great for an update?
This might never be released on moved to 19 20.

one other thing, what about open vs closed phones. will this work with both or better with one or the other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schubeedoobee (Post 56569178)
I wont be giving up my Focals anytime soon...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 56861758)
@imagic , did you ever get a chance to demo the Smyth Realalizer A16 at one of the trade shows. I did at Axpona 2017 and it blew my mind. Is this creative product like a little brother? A “good” version of that tech for $150 if you will. I wouldn’t expect it to compare to the $2000 dollar A16, but for the price and functionality of a PC gamer — good might be good enough.

It's still in development. I had a chance to hear it at CEDIA, but no joke I was one of only two people allowed to hear that demo.

It can be used with Focals. The point is it's not headphones, it's a USB dongle i.e. a DAC/amp/DSP.

Archaea, it is indeed intended to be a "Smyth Realizer Light" or whatever. I heard game clips and it was insanely effective. INSANE. Hope that helps.

Worf 09-25-2018 11:54 PM

And chances are, for $150 it requires a PC to do the heavy lifting. So it's great for games and movies played off it, not useful for standalone use.

Archaea 10-31-2018 10:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It's up for sale in the U.S. as of now. I just got my e-mail notification. Early adopters get a free pair of Creative headphones (while supplies last).

https://us.sxfi.com/products/sxfi-amp

I can probably resell the headphones to lessen the total cost of the device. That was the incentive I used to jump now rather than wait for additional consumer reviews.
Link to free headphone page: https://us.sxfi.com/pages/aurvana-se

natchie 11-01-2018 11:24 AM

Thanks for the link...just placed an order and getting the headphones too.

SabreOfSD 11-01-2018 03:25 PM

According to the ordering page, no iPhone support :(

Archaea 11-01-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabreOfSD (Post 57048682)
According to the ordering page, no iPhone support :(

That’s just for setting it up. Once it’s setup for your ears you can use it with anything is how I understood it. Set it up with your PC Mac or a cheap android tablet. Then enjoy wherever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worf 11-01-2018 11:23 PM

It should work it iPhone, it's just creative didn't want to pay the money for it. It looks like it appears like a standard USB DAC, so you just need to use an apple camera connection kit and a USB A to C cable.

Radio81 11-02-2018 09:50 AM

I’m going to wait until they get the gaming aspect of the tech figured out to buy into SXFI. I’m hoping they’ll eventually release something like an updated E5 with this tech.

Although this advertises PS4 compatibility, since it’s USB only it will be stereo. I don’t see a chat solution, either. When they can put something like this into an amp/dac with optical input and allow for multichannel audio to be implemented, I’ll bite.

The SXFI Air headphones/headset looks awesome, but I couldn’t find any mention of what Bluetooth protocol it uses. I can only hope it supports Fast Stream.