Headphones for airplane travel - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-11-2018, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Last time I was on a long plane ride, I was trying to watch the in flight movies but I was really struggling with those ear buds they hand out. I had to painfully cram them into my ear, and after a couple of minutes one or both would fall out. Very frustrating experience.

So for my next airplane travel I want something better. I was guessing that over the ear would be good because it would easy to put on or off, and it might block some airplane noise. Active Noise Canceling is too expensive for me, as it starts like at $200.

Is was even thinking of gun shooters ear muffs because they are inexpensive and some (the ones I would be interested in) have a line in jack.

I'm just looking for something I can comfortably use for several hours straight to listen to in flight movies and hopefully block some airplane noise.

Your suggestions please.

Last edited by XBR11; 03-11-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-12-2018, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
$100 https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...ing+headphones

I have these and a pair of the older bose qc15, and prefer the AT. Use them frequently for air travel.

If your battery dies, you can still hear the audio at reduced amplification.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-13-2018, 01:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 618
I use the QC35s with downloaded netflix stuff to a tablet. Works well.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-14-2018, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well if you are going to wear it for a few hours, you definitely need comfort as well. I would recommend that you invest in either the Bose QC35 ii or Sony WH-1000XM2 even though they are expensive in relation to your budget. I have the Sony and it is super comfy, and trust me the active noise cancellation makes a HUGE difference versus a normal over-ear headphone with no noise cancellation. Especially if there is a crying baby sitting near you on the plane.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-14-2018, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsLover View Post
Well if you are going to wear it for a few hours, you definitely need comfort as well. I would recommend that you invest in either the Bose QC35 ii or Sony WH-1000XM2 even though they are expensive in relation to your budget. I have the Sony and it is super comfy, and trust me the active noise cancellation makes a HUGE difference versus a normal over-ear headphone with no noise cancellation. Especially if there is a crying baby sitting near you on the plane.
I also suggest either the Sony or Bose. I bought the Sony's after reading the reviews on Amazon. It's also cheaper in price, has a better battery life, and also more features than the Bose. That being said, the Bose are really nice too!
post #6 of 11 Old 03-14-2018, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post
Last time I was on a long plane ride, I was trying to watch the in flight movies but I was really struggling with those ear buds they hand out. I had to painfully cram them into my ear, and after a couple of minutes one or both would fall out. Very frustrating experience.

So for my next airplane travel I want something better. I was guessing that over the ear would be good because it would easy to put on or off, and it might block some airplane noise. Active Noise Canceling is too expensive for me, as it starts like at $200.

Is was even thinking of gun shooters ear muffs because they are inexpensive and some (the ones I would be interested in) have a line in jack.

I'm just looking for something I can comfortably use for several hours straight to listen to in flight movies and hopefully block some airplane noise.

Your suggestions please.
As others have said, the Sony set are very good but expensive. I also have a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Pro that have good sound and excellent noise cancelling, very comfortable with long battery life and can be had either new or refurb for less than $200

Room 1 system: Paradigm Reference Active 7.2 system, Anthem AVM50, Oppo BDP-103. Pioneer Elite 610HD. Room 2: Samsung 65HU8550 with SEK3500, Paradigm Monitor 5.1 system, Denon AVR-X2400H, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV 4k
post #7 of 11 Old 03-14-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
a cheap pair of chinese earbuds...they sound good, are small and cheap in case you lose or get broken. do you have space to lug around big headphones?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQV6WBW...&pd_rd_w=wjPgc

Youmoon Beryllium Diaphragm Stereo Earbuds In-Ear Sport Earphones Waterproof Headphones with Mic Control for Running, Compatible for Smartphone Stereo Bass with 3.5mm Jack (Black)

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #8 of 11 Old 03-28-2018, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I use 1more triple driver IEMs. They aren't going to beat active noise cancelling cans, but they block enough noise for me to be satisfied when I travel while being compact and packing pretty decent sound quality.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Samsung UN55JS8500
Sony UBP-X800
Denon X3300
Energy RC-50, Energy RC-LCR, Mirage OMD-5
PSA S1801
post #9 of 11 Old 08-26-2018, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I use Sony noise canceling over ear headphones. The noise cancelling works fine, on the plane, in the gym, etc. I like them as well as another Bose. Before that I'd been known to go super cheap and bought construction workers' ear protection at Home Depot ( https://flipboard.com/@bestgoodini/t...uffs-v47epijby$20.00) and they kept sound out the best, used flight earbuds in the ear underneath when listening. They were the best for keeping sound out, no one actually laughed (it's my frugal gene)...not too sophisticated though.

Last edited by cowolter; 09-01-2018 at 04:06 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-30-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 52
If you don't need wireless Bluetooth connectively, the wired Bose QC 25 can sometimes be found for 1/2 the price of the Bluetooth QC 35. In fact, if you are mainly interested in the inflight entertainment system a wired connection is your only option. I wore a set of QC 25's for essentially the entirely of a 13.5 hour ICN-ORD flight and found them to be the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #11 of 11 Old 08-30-2018, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Also consider Sennheiser PXC 550. I have the Bose 35s, Sony 1000 original and XM2 and the Sennheisers are my favorite. The noise cancelling isn't as good as the others, but on a plane with music playing it's similar to the Bose. The sound beats them all--just much more alive and detailed. The XM2s are a close 2nd, but just are so much heavier and don't sound as good. They can only connect to 1 device at a time, which also is annoying. The Bose and Senns can connect to 2 at a time. The noise cancelling on both Sonys is quite obviously much better than the Bose in every test I've done. If noise cancelling is most important, just get the new XM3s that are on Amazon now. After enjoying better headphones for a while, when I try the Bose, I just can't understand why anyone would choose them at this point. The sound is by far the worst of the 4, and the app doesn't customize them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page